Scotland V Sweden Italia 90-BBC Scotland

Just too young to remember this at the time but, with this and watching the games from Euro 96, I do feel a bit sad looking at what the Scotland team was back then compared to the sham it has become now.

People back watching a pathetic organisation that refuses to report in anyway shape or form their favourite team, oh well each to their own.

My old local was rammed and went mental when we scored- I think we were still celebrating that hardly anyone away from the big screen knew the Swedes had pulled a goal back. Like so many on here my previous ardour for the national team has waned sadly to the point of apathy.

How times have changed. Hope my own country’s football team losing now is really quite sad but %^*& them

Shameful that the rebels have taken our team from us. Still, it's been great to see the other British nations doing so well in recent years! Has given me something to cheer for in the recent tournaments!

As others have mentioned, this was one of the best days I spent at a game that didn't involve The Rangers. I remember very clearly having a kick about in the afternoon with a team of Swedish girls in one of the main squares. This was long before Ladies football was even being mentioned at home, these girls knocked the ball around as if they were the great Ajax team of the 70's, we couldn't believe our eyes/luck. Memory plays tricks on you over time but to make it even better, everyone of them seemed to be a blonde, suntanned Honey.
I also remember the march to the Stadium that evening, (one of the first?), being stuck in some kind of Motorway underpass, the crowd noise being absolutely deafening with all the locals joining in, hanging out of their motors, blasting their car horns and trying to sing along. Actually winning a game that mattered with the World watching made it even better.
Watching the Italian games with the locals, Toto Schillachi scoring some incredible goals also lives long in the memory.

I'm pretty sure Ibrox and the Stadium in Genoa were designed along similar lines to Dortmunds ground which was seen as state of the art at that time.

I went to all the home qualifiers.Mo and Ally up top. What does that fucking prick Roxburgh do?
Drops them and we get beat off Costa Rica..
Aitken was shite even in the qualifiers. %^*& knows how made captain.

As others have mentioned, this was one of the best days I spent at a game that didn't involve The Rangers. I remember very clearly having a kick about in the afternoon with a team of Swedish girls in one of the main squares. This was long before Ladies football was even being mentioned at home, these girls knocked the ball around as if they were the great Ajax team of the 70's, we couldn't believe our eyes/luck. Memory plays tricks on you over time but to make it even better, everyone of them seemed to be a blonde, suntanned Honey.
I also remember the march to the Stadium that evening, (one of the first?), being stuck in some kind of Motorway underpass, the crowd noise being absolutely deafening with all the locals joining in, hanging out of their motors, blasting their car horns and trying to sing along. Actually winning a game that mattered with the World watching made it even better.
Watching the Italian games with the locals, Toto Schillachi scoring some incredible goals also lives long in the memory.

I'm pretty sure Ibrox and the Stadium in Genoa were designed along similar lines to Dortmunds ground which was seen as state of the art at that time.
Great memories SOW

The last time we won a game at a World Cup finals. 30 years ago, dreadful record for a so called footballing nation.
The Largs Mafia really did change things!

Was there with my parents, Mo Johnstone was booed by a few when his name was read out in the starting lineup, which made some lad with an Airdrie top go mental and he was shouting “Doesn’t matter who he plays for, he’s wearing navy tonight” first time I ever heard anti Rangers bile being spouted at a Scotland game and my dad never took me back to a National game after the tournament.

We attended all three games,two in Genoa and the last one was in Turin. We had travelled with Harry Hynds travel and our accommodation was six hours away from both cities, probably why the support were singing along to the same tune as the Jimmy Hill song “We hate Harry Hynds, he’s a crook, he’s a crook” I think it came out that he was a rabid mentally challenged in later years, although I might be wrong with that one.

Best bit of the Sweden game was the walk up and walk back from the stadium, there’s was this tunnel and the noise from the support was deafening in there.

It was my first and probably my last WC, a great experience and went to two iconic Italian stadiums, the Stadio Delle Alpi in Turin and the Stadio Luigi Ferraris in Genoa but my day’s of any interest in the national team are well gone.

I went to all the home qualifiers.Mo and Ally up top. What does that fucking prick Roxburgh do?
Correct. Played Alan McInally up front instead. No wonder big Gough had zero respect for Roxburgh

Correct. Played Alan McInally up front instead. No wonder big Gough had zero respect for Roxburgh
McCoist talks about in his first video( early 90’s) and thought Roxburgh had picked him to playand had said “Mo ‘n Ally” ,wasn’t until later he was told it was McInally, who he roomed with

Watched the game in my mates in mother’s house wasn’t married at the time , Then fired up to city centre , can’t remember the dancing we were in but got arrested later walking over the kinsone bridge heading back to Renfrew

How times have changed. Hope my own country’s football team losing now is really quite sad but %^*& them
Watched England v Scotland from Euro 96 in ITV4 earlier in the week. Interviewed a couple of Scotland supporters after the game and they were saying, despite his goal, they still loved Gazza since he was playing for Rangers now. Again, how times have changed!

One of two tournaments that sum up Scotland

1990 mccoist and Johnston are immense
Roxburgh starts mcinally in the infamous Costa Rica game - needed to win that given brasil was the last game

1996 mccoist still the man, only starts the last game and scores the winner

McCoist talks about in his first video( early 90’s) and thought Roxburgh had picked him to playand had said “Mo ‘n Ally” ,wasn’t until later he was told it was McInally, who he roomed with

if I remember correctly in that video he said he was gutted - probably the reaction to most Scotland fans at the time when we saw McInally who had one good season for Bayern in 4 years (unfortunately that was the season), upfront in that game

Watched it at a house party in Langbank. Later, I fell asleep in the greenhouse and woke up with only one eyebrow. At least my mates realised I wasn't in the house and went looking for me!

Ditto.

After the Costa Rica debacle, this was a great match to be at.

This is pretty much what I came on to post. I think the celebrations for this were extra because of the shite against Costa Rica.
The two weeks in Italy for the World Cup were brilliant, we were staying in Alassio to the West of Genoa.

I was working that night as a waiter in a restaurant. The chef had a tv in the kitchen, and jumped up when McCall scored and hit his head on the roof and knocked himself unconscious.

Looking back, was pretty funny.

McPherson, Levein, Mcleish and Malpas at the back.

I remember King Richard was at that World Cup, was he injured or dropped?

He was injured during the Costa Rica match and missed the rest of the tournament. He was sent home by Roxburgh. Allegedly Roxburgh was briefing the press that Gough was 'at it' in regards to his injury.

As Gough said in his book "Bryan Robson got injured early and went home a national hero. I went home and was called a traitor"

Italia 90. Archie's swansong as BBC Scotland's main commentator.
Not sure where he went immediately afterwards, but Archie was Eurosport's commentator for the opening game of the 1998 World cup when Scotland played Brazil.

One of two tournaments that sum up Scotland

1990 mccoist and Johnston are immense
Roxburgh starts mcinally in the infamous Costa Rica game - needed to win that given brasil was the last game

1996 mccoist still the man, only starts the last game and scores the winner

96 isn’t quite as clear cut as McCoist wasn’t fit and had only started something like 3 games that calendar year.

Was there not a rumour that a leak from the Costa Rica camp said they feared mcinally so Roxburgh played him

But it was a planted story?

I had a bbq with my mates and wives. The grub was finished before the match. The guys watched the match while the girls stayed round the back. A lot of bevvy consumed.
It was a surprise result after the debacle against Costa Rica. Roxburgh and his assistant Paw Broon had their favourites who were never dropped. Aitken never played midfield for the Tims, and was totally out his depth. Leighton was not having a good time, he sold the equaliser against Norway in the last qualifier and sold the goal against Brazil. I think Scotland were still in with a chance of qualifying after the Brazil game, but everything that could happen did happen and it took nearly a week fot the exit to be confirmed.

Was there not a rumour that a leak from the Costa Rica camp said they feared mcinally so Roxburgh played him

But it was a planted story?
Seemingly he was in a taxi and thats what the driver said.
Fucking moron.Hated Roxburgh and Brown.They started the massive decline of the Scottish national team with their shitty negative tactics.

Fucking moron.Hated Roxburgh and Brown.They started the massive decline of the Scottish national team with their shitty negative tactics.

That was the Portugal game 3 years later with the taxi driver.

Costa Rica manager said McInally was "Scotland's answer to Marco van Basten"

Roxburgh bought it hook, line and sinker.

You’re thinking of the Portugal game in 93 where that reportedly happened re news that Rui Barros wasn’t playing that game.

We were at a medieval night in Tenerife battering our wee bowls on the tables for whatever colour of knight we had.
Costa Rica was in some wee boozer in like a little underground mall and the game against Brazil was in Garfield's which was just behind our hotel.
My last childhood trip abroad.

That was the Portugal game 3 years later with the taxi driver.

Costa Rica manager said McInally was "Scotland's answer to Marco van Basten"

Roxburgh bought it hook, line and sinker.
Oh aye so it was.Nearly fell off my chair with McInally and Van Basten in the same sentence.LOL.
Portugal game where super broke his leg was probably the most depressing Scotland game I've seen.He was on fire that season as well.

Back