Scotland's 2 Champions League places in 2021/22 now confirmed

Gerrard will need to find ways to close the gap between us and teams like Leverkusen, and the board needs to back him even more, the tims may settle for gettng to the groups then get destroyed, Gerrard will no stand for that shit, he knew how to win it as a player, now he has to work out how to make us competative in the CL if we get there, also a side note, not only would Gerrard have learned something from the Leverkusen game, it may have opened the eyes of Michael Beale, and I bet he'll be thinking of how to overcome opponents like that in the future

Ah remember when we were told Scottish football didn’t need Rangers. Celtic and Aberdeen would fly the flag in Europe and fight it out for the title. Cue feigned interest in Aberdeen by the Celtic support etc etc

We now have reality.

I’m slightly mixed. I wanted us to win the league and leave them in the Europa, and watch the house of cards collapse.
At the same time I can’t wait to see that CL centre circle display and the music blasting “championsssss.” And if that’s via the 2nd spot then so be it, that is the night that Rangers are back to full health.

All down to our efforts, not that you'll hear anyone admit that.
In fairness, it's not ALL down to us. They got further than us last year, and every other year, while we did more in the season just finished.
In future it will still be difficult keep qualifying for the group stages. This season probably harder than ever.

Quite the opposite in fact. Read an article from the Sun that blamed us for not getting a second spot for this season due to losing tonight.

There's a season-lag for coefficient "counting". For example, the 2020-21 qualification spots are based on performances between 2015-19.

Everyone knows this.

How is a supposed "newspaper" so shit at it's one and only job?

Quite the opposite in fact. Read an article from the Sun that blamed us for not getting a second spot for this season due to losing tonight.
Incredible. So they thought the seedings for the 20/21 competition would be based on the 19/20 competition that will still be running after the start of the 20/21 competition. I'm glad the journalists in this country are so well informed and accurate in their reporting.

Ah remember when we were told Scottish football didn’t need Rangers. Celtic and Aberdeen would fly the flag in Europe and fight it out for the title. Cue feigned interest in Aberdeen by the Celtic support etc etc

We now have reality.
I particularly love us improving the coefficient in 2 years. Just imagine if the sheep shaggers had ambitions above being the rats rent boys. They could have had CL nights themselves :D :D

There's a season-lag for coefficient "counting". For example, the 2020-21 qualification spots are based on performances between 2015-19.

Everyone knows this.

How is a supposed "newspaper" so shit at it's one and only job?
I know even a phonecall to their colleagues in London for clarification. Too entrenched in thinking they're right and wanting a Rangers at fault angle

I’m slightly mixed. I wanted us to win the league and leave them in the Europa, and watch the house of cards collapse.
At the same time I can’t wait to see that CL centre circle display and the music blasting “championsssss.” And if that’s via the 2nd spot then so be it, that is the night that Rangers are back to full health.
It is very very difficult to qualify through the non-champions route as we would be up against teams who finished 3rd or 4th in the likes of France.

Plus pretty sure the theme music doesn't play until you get to the play-off round.

There's no chance of that. I just want the benefit of an easier route to the groups. It's a pity the tramps will also get a shot albeit by a more difficult route.
Yeah at times that no Champion play off round route is brutal with your Ajax and Olympia is always involved.
I believe now we would only have to win one tie in the 3rd round and we are guaranteed the safety net of Europa group stages. This is massive for us and can plan, budget, spend accordingly with a guaranteed 6 Europa group games as a minimum.

Yeah at times that no Champion play off round route is brutal with your Ajax and Olympia is always involved.
I believe now we would only have to win one tie in the 3rd round and we are guaranteed the safety net of Europa group stages. This is massive for us and can plan, budget, spend accordingly with a guaranteed 6 Europa group games as a minimum.
That's only if we win the league and Scotland is in 14th place.

If we come 2nd in the league then we would enter at QR2.

It's going to be hard holding this 2 team spot. Not because of us and them, but the rest are dire. I mean our 3rd placed team got knocked out of europe by a team who were beaten finalists in the tunnocks cup.

These teams dont look like improving any time soon.

It's going to be hard holding this 2 team spot. Not because of us and them, but the rest are dire. I mean our 3rd placed team got knocked out of europe by a team who were beaten finalists in the tunnocks cup.

These teams dont look like improving any time soon.
We are provisionally 13th for 22/23, 11th for 23/24, 8th for 24/25 and 7th for 25/26.

The more clubs in Europe the worse it is though as your points are diluted more.

We are provisionally 13th for 22/23, 11th for 23/24, 8th for 24/25 and 7th for 25/26.

The more clubs in Europe the worse it is though as your points are diluted more.
To he honest mate, I've no idea how they work it out. Thought it would maybe have been just going by performances of clubs from each country.

As we know the displays of the others is faroe islands level.

Indeed, but I'd be looking at the CL groups if we can go through the champions route. We'd have a chance.

The same was said about our two Europa League campaigns.

Their was the potential of a tough draw for the Europa but it never came to pass. We were bookies favourites in all 8 ties. A tough draw through the champions league non champions route is an absolute certainty.

Last year it would have been along the lines of:

Round 2: Basel or Olympiakos
Round 3: Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Basel orOlympiakos
Playoff: Krasnodar or Brugges

This season:

Round 2: Besiktas, Victoria Plzen, or Rapid Vienna
Round 3: Benfica, Dynamo Kiev, Besiktas or Gent
Playoff: Benfica or Dynamo Kiev.

Much much harder than the Europa qualifiers.

Their was the potential of a tough draw for the Europa but it never came to pass. We were bookies favourites in all 8 ties. A tough draw through the champions league non champions route is an absolute certainty.

Playoff: Krasnodar or Briggs

This season:

I think we'd give a good account of ourselves against all of them. They wouldn't want us.

I think we'd give a good account of ourselves against all of them. They wouldn't want us.

Im sure that's the case too but none of them are easy draws the way we can usually expect in the Europa where we will come up against small teams from Eastern Europe on a fraction of our budget.

That seems difficult but I would hardly go with impossible - especially on this/last seasons performances.
Yes, difficult but not impossible is my call too. The champions path is much easier so let's just do 55 this season :))

Playoff: Krasnodar or Brugges

This season:

It was still a stastical improbability that we'd get through four qualifiers regardless of us being favourite for individual games.

And on our day we can match any of those teams in Europe. We beat Porto across two legs last season. Villareal too practically season before.

Back