Scotland's 2 Champions League places in 2021/22 now confirmed

Good financially for us assuming we fail to win the League. If it wasn’t for money though I’d literally choose to play in the Europa League, it’s just a better tournament for us in the current climate. We are competitive in it. Will be nice seeing some huge names back at Ibrox though.

We have certainly dragged Scotland back up since Steven Gerrard came in no doubt in that but we have also push them on as well reaching the Europa League knockout stages in both seasons

I asked this question a few months ago I am sure @cochise can correct me on this but for us to do it on our own we have to reach the quarter-finals in one of the seasons and the semi-final in one of the seasons

Scotland also has 5 places now for 2021/22

1st CLQ
2nd CLQ
CW ELQR3
3rd ELCQR2
4th ELCQR2

Scotland are 14th as Basel are out

Entry points for 2021/22 is

Champions QR3 Champions Route
2nd place QR2 Non-Champions Route

Anyone know if coefficient points will be calculated the same next season with qualifiers only being 1 legged affairs?
Usually Scotland racks up a decent number of points at this stage and it allowed us to catch up on nations like Ukraine, Czech Republic etc but this year if it’s only 1 leg we could lose that opportunity.

Think before the group stages kicked in last season Scotland had amassed approx 4.5 points.

This year, if it is calculated the same way then max you could see us getting would be about 2.5-3.

Indeed. Would need extreme good fortune or some kind of revamp of the qualifying process.

Not really. They teams 2nd would play won’t be any better then Braga Feyenoord etc. No need to worry about English or German clubs

Anyone know if coefficient points will be calculated the same next season with qualifiers only being 1 legged affairs?
Usually Scotland racks up a decent number of points at this stage and it allowed us to catch up on nations like Ukraine, Czech Republic etc but this year if it’s only 1 leg we could lose that opportunity.

Think before the group stages kicked in last season Scotland had amassed approx 4.5 points.

This year, if it is calculated the same way then max you could see us getting would be about 2.5-3.
My understanding is that points for single leg qualifiers are 1.5 win, 1.0 draw, 0.5 lose. So they are allocating the same points in total as before, it is just as if the unplayed leg was a draw.

I haven’t quite got my head around the whole format of European football next year however I believe that whoever wins the league is guaranteed Group Stage football.

The Champions go in 3rd Round out of 4 qualifying rounds for UCL. Lose that and I think they drop into the Champions Play off round of the Europa League. Lose that and they will go into the new UEFA conference league group stages.

2nd place goes into the 1st stage of 3 qualifying rounds of the UCL. Lose that and they drop into the 3rd round of Europa League Qualifying (Main path). Lose that tie and they go into the Play off round of the Conference league so really you only have to win 1 tie to get group stage football if you finish 2nd.

Big changes and better for us as more safety nets to be honest. The UEFA Conference league also has to be a target to win, if we drop into it, although there will still be quality teams in it.

Back