Scots football clubs could face massive £12m bill over child sex abuse claims

Syme

Scottish football clubs are facing decades of legal and court bills over abuse and alleged abuse against children – with some individual claims hitting the £1million mark.

The ***** ***** can reveal the total amount of compensation payouts could top £12million.

The claims cover 50 cases from just one legal firm, which described it as a “substantial financial reckoning”.

Actions are being raised against a string of clubs, some already facing financial difficulties as a result of the coronavirus emergency.

But sources close to victims have told the Record: “The lawyers are not going away. Justice has to be done.”

We can reveal that 21 of the cases are against celtic fc which claims it is a “separate entity” from its now-defunct boys’ club – where four paedophiles from the organisation have now been convicted.

Other cases raised include four against Rangers FC and one against Rangers FC/Rangers Boys’ Club.

These actions involve one coach and one scout, who both also worked at other clubs.

They were never convicted and are now dead.

Individual claims range from tens of thousands to £1million.

Three actions are also being pursued against the SFA.

Partick Thistle, Dundee United and Hivs/Hivs Boys’ Club also face compensation claims from people who claim they were sexually abused while child players.

Also on the list are a string of junior and amateur clubs.

The SFA – which has launched an inquiry into the sexual exploitation of children scandal – is facing three separate compensation claims from people who say they were abused by a referee.

Celtic FC face at least one claim of £1million

Error already, the Septic boys club isn’t defunct, it changed its name.

If Rangers have failed in their duty and have overlooked a child protection procedure or guideline and the abuse has occurred due to said failure then I feel we should take responsibility and compensate the victims.

Every area of society can be infiltrated by a predator, that is their nature and it is impossible to wholly safeguard against this. However should a ring have been operating, or if cover ups have occurred within an organisation wherever it may be, then a Penn State like punishment and compensation package is necessary.

Unfortunately it is clear that the club alleged to have been complicit in a massive cover up is attempting to wash it’s hands of all responsibility. I hope all victims of child abuse and exploitation within Scottish football achieve justice, I won’t hold my breath though.

Last edited:
“Now defunct” no the scum paid circa 50k to have the boys club change their name last year.

As for the cases against us I want this fully investigated by the club. Although the legally correct thing IS to refer to the liquidators I feel that has to be overlooked/overruled. The humane thing to do is at the very least offer the poor souls who have suffered this horrific abuse a heartfelt apology from the club and subsequent counselling and support, and if there has been a failure in our duty of care on Rangers part id want to see them compensated for the horrific events they’ve suffered that’ll have had a catastrophic impact on their lives.

Who both also worked at other clubs is the dead giveaway, whilst I am not saying there was no sexual abuse cases at Rangers they did employ staff that had done it prior to joining the club, the club were just not told why their previous employers let them go so these clubs seriously need looked at and investigated but if there were cases of it committed at Rangers then I would fully expect compensation and an apology to the lad or lads.

“Now defunct” no the scum paid circa 50k to have the boys club change their name last year.

As for the cases against us I want this fully investigated by the club. Although the legally correct thing IS to refer to the liquidators I feel that has to be overlooked/overruled. The humane thing to do is at the very least offer the poor souls who have suffered this horrific abuse a heartfelt apology from the club and subsequent counselling and support, and if there has been a failure in our duty of care on Rangers part id want to see them compensated for the horrific events they’ve suffered that’ll have had a catastrophic impact on their lives.

I disagree with the premise that the legally correct thing is to refer to liquidators as we can’t say we are the same club when it suits us and different when it doesn’t. It’s as hypocritical as Celtic and their separate entity arguement. The right thing is a moral thing and if there were crimes against lads at Ibrox it should be investigated and if found to be true the boys should be given an apology and an offer of compensation

all these crimes are disgusting and I get the feeling that many clubs will have instances of this but I don’t think any other club will be on the same scale as what went on at Celtic, they have had a paedophile ring operating at their club and been involved in a larger ring of abuse outside of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes out the Catholic Church and political figures were involved.

when it comes to Rangers I just want us to do the right thing and be seen to be as transparent as can be, have standards in how we go about it and if there was found to be any immorality be as remorseful as we can be about it

Celtic fc are unique in their absolute neglect of their children. Has any other club allowed a preditor to come back to the club after being thrown out for child abuse. Has any other club got at least FIVE convicted abusers. Does any other club mirror exactly the catholic church in their dealings with children in their care. The celtic fans are complicit in the abuse as they have turned away from their abused children in order to protect their clubs name. Jock Stein chose the same path and that led to scores more children being abused. There were lone wolf's at most sporting clubs but celtic are in a league of their own with a pandemic paodofile ring being allowed to pick off their children unchallenged.

The list against Rangers seems to be growing, if we have in any way shape or form had kids abused the club better do the right thing. Question needs to be asked did we inform the Police and if not why not. Saying the kid or kids involved didnt want to report it, doesnt wash with me. If we sacked the paedos involved then we should have informed the Police.

I disagree with the premise that the legally correct thing is to refer to liquidators as we can’t say we are the same club when it suits us and different when it doesn’t. It’s as hypocritical as Celtic and their separate entity arguement. The right thing is a moral thing and if there were crimes against lads at Ibrox it should be investigated and if found to be true the boys should be given an apology and an offer of compensation

all these crimes are disgusting and I get the feeling that many clubs will have instances of this but I don’t think any other club will be on the same scale as what went on at Celtic, they have had a paedophile ring operating at their club and been involved in a larger ring of abuse outside of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes out the Catholic Church and political figures were involved.

when it comes to Rangers I just want us to do the right thing and be seen to be as transparent as can be, have standards in how we go about it and if there was found to be any immorality be as remorseful as we can be about it
Agree wholeheartedly mate. Legally it would be a case of referring to the liquidators. But from a fans view this is completely unacceptable. This isn’t a debt or monetary issue. It’s peoples lives that have been irreversibly damaged, I wouldn’t be able to stomach it if we as a club just said “go to the liquidators”. Support, counselling and an apology from the club as well as the potential for compensation is the only way we as a club can ever even scratch the surface of making this right. A lot of clubs in the UK have had these monsters operate and carry out their horrible deeds during an era where protection of children, sadly wasn’t seen as a necessity or priority.

Celtic are in a different league altogether for this. It’s not even the industrial scale of abuse that went on there. It’s the fact they practically facilitated it with hush hush money, firing and rehiring paedos after “the heat died down” (giving them substantial money for services in the process) and to this day show total and complete disregard for the victims and damage caused by failing to acknowledge their role in what happened. The claim that there’s no need for an investigation there as “the club have actually been investigating it ourselves for years” is a slap in the face for anybody who suffered at their hands.

From what the club have said when it came to dealing with neely they called the police and completely banished him from Ibrox. I sincerely hope that is the case but a full investigation needs to be carried out and any failings on our part must be well documented and have every attempt to be put right. Regardless of financial loss or damage to reputation.

At least it's now coming out into the open. Things must be heating up for Celtic and they are now trying to lump us all in this together.

We will do the right thing and pay whatever compensation is deemed necessary and issue apologies to the victims.

The main thing which the scum will be trying to avoid is the fact they brought the dirty bastards back into the fold to abuse other young boys.

This is what should finish them off but of course that won't happen as the authorities will bend over backwards to make things run as smoothly as possible for them.

The list against Rangers seems to be growing, if we have in any way shape or form had kids abused the club better do the right thing. Question needs to be asked did we inform the Police and if not why not. Saying the kid or kids involved didnt want to report it, doesnt wash with me. If we sacked the paedos involved then we should have informed the Police.

The article says the allegations are against 2 men, a scout and a coach, ie Neely and Dunn.

The list isn't growing, the number of potential victims is.

We all know the Neely case, the Dunn is not as clear. If they abused on our watch then we need to do the right thing, irrespective of their deceit and the lack of information shared by previous employers. If we facilitated, condoned, financed and covered-up, then we have a major problem to investigate.

The article says the allegations are against 2 men, a scout and a coach, ie Neely and Dunn.

The list isn't growing, the number of potential victims is.

We all know the Neely case, the Dunn is not as clear. If they abused on our watch then we need to do the right thing, irrespective of their deceit and the lack of information shared by previous employers. If we facilitated, condoned, financed and covered-up, then we have a major problem to investigate.

This looks like the vile PR companys work. I'd be very very surprised if anything happened under our watch, but we should welcome any investigation.

Who both also worked at other clubs is the dead giveaway, whilst I am not saying there was no sexual abuse cases at Rangers they did employ staff that had done it prior to joining the club, the club were just not told why their previous employers let them go so these clubs seriously need looked at and investigated but if there were cases of it committed at Rangers then I would fully expect compensation and an apology to the lad or lads.
In the case you’re alluding to there, I agree that we should be paying.
That said, I think we should be suing Hibs for their neglect.

I tend to think you’re right here.
However, was the assaulted lad’s father not a policeman?

In the case you’re alluding to there, I agree that we should be paying.
That said, I think we should be suing Hibs for their neglect.
We shouldn’t be paying if no abuse was committed by Neely at our club but hibs knew fine well he abused boys at their club and gladly passed him off to us in full knowledge he was a paedo , hibs like their Glasgow tarrrier counterparts did and said nothing, mini versions of their Glasgow brethren and should be hammered like their Glasgow shitshower

We shouldn’t be paying if no abuse was committed by Neely at our club but hibs knew fine well he abused boys at their club and gladly passed him off to us in full knowledge he was a paedo , hibs like their Glasgow tarrrier counterparts did and said nothing, mini versions of their Glasgow brethren and should be hammered like their Glasgow shitshower

A victim from the BBC documentary a few years back said he would take them into his office.
HIVS have a major responsibility here as to why he wasn't reported. They allowed a known sex offender to operate at our club.

Scum of the earth

And, there are lots of pics of Saville with Catholic priests, somewhere (I believe Kilsyth) so it could have been well orchestrated. However, I think, that is what is saving them......until the very same authorities take it seriously. :(

If we are guilty get it paid. The courts will decide.

could be an expensive year for the papes.

This was always going to be how it was spun. An issue for all of Scottish football including them and us. I’m only surprised they didn’t name us first.

Rangers have stated that they did tell the police.
Are you saying Rangers lied?

With so many clubs and even the SFA facing compensation claims what reason is there not to have a wholly independent inquiry into historic CSA in Scottish football?
The complete denial of blame by bheast FC plus the strangle hold they have over the SFA and mhedia added to the joke of the Scottish government point to the reason why there hasnt been an inquiry. Why police Scotland haven't investigated when there has been so many cases is what gets me

Individual cases and their outcomes, whilst vital for the victims and we must always have their welfare in the front of our minds, are not the whole story here.

If looked at in isolation, there is a danger that the biggest crime of all is overlooked - was a concerted ring of paedophiles in operation in and about any club/clubs in Scotland - if so, who was aware and what actions were taken to bring this to the attention of the authorities?

I hope the forth coming court proceedings prompts an inquiry and action of this front.

Had words with an uppity poet who was trying to compare the Rangers sittuation to the Bheasts abuse ring,
I said it's like comparing a corner shop with a megastore.Ill take an independent investigation any day of the week real justice for all young lads who suffered at the hands of these scum.

No i
I'm not but the screws said they have no record of Rangers reporting it, what's more concerning if the club did report it and the screws did nothing about a child being abused.

You’ve got to remember the police force that Rangers reported to doesn’t even exist any more, it was made in a day when paper records were the norm, their predecessors, Police Scotland, are a mess and have undertaken multiple office relocations.

Chances of said record still existing is miniscule and anyone telling you otherwise is up to no good.

With regards to Dunn, how closely would a scout have been connected to the club in those days? Would he even be around the club much at all?

If they're going down they're wanting everyone dragged down with them. Nothing to fear and nothing to hide and if we have then let's be punished and fully compensate any victims, let's call their bluff and as a club state we want a UK led inquiry and are happy to open everything to them

Legally any financial claims relating to us are a matter for the liquidators of the company that previously operated the football club, just like other financial claims. However, it could be argued that the football club has a particular moral responsibility in this type of case.

As for us reporting someone to the police, despite a rather different impression being given by some in the media, Freedom Of Information (FOI) requests were quite recently made about this to the police. However, the police's reply stated that FOI provisions do not apply to this type of information so any information held could not be given out. This can be seen on the official FOI website.

You’ve got to remember the police force that Rangers reported to doesn’t even exist any more, it was made in a day when paper records were the norm, their predecessors, Police Scotland, are a mess and have undertaken multiple office relocations.

Chances of said record still existing is miniscule and anyone telling you otherwise is up to no good.

Especially when it was reported as inappropriate comments if I'm not mistaken.

I tend to think you’re right here.
However, was the assaulted lad’s father not a policeman?
That is correct. The abuse in that case has also been reported as "verbal", and not in any way physical.
When the boy's father reported it to Rangers, the man was immediately dismissed, and Rangers reported the incident to the police.
The police say that they have no record of the matter being reported, they have never stated that it was not reported.

Back