Scotsman - Revealed: Rangers provide Scotland support with more fans than Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdingwall

Administrator
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/foot...Bz-Ji1EzNl9qs0z6U68hi-oquhqtnRFskqvccYXAPVZGU

Revealed: Rangers provide Scotland support with more fans than Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts
Revealed: Rangers provide Scotland support with more fans than Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts
Published: 12:14 Thursday 13 June 2019

Rangers have the biggest percentage of Scotland supporters.Picture: SNS
Share this article

It is an argument which arises every time the Scotland are set to play.

Which clubs provide the most number of fans and, conversely, which club's fans take little interest in the national team?

It is often felt, in a sweeping generalisation, that the Celtic and Rangers fans are not overly bothered with Scotland, preferring to concentrate on supporting the two behemoths of Scottish football.

The Tartan Army, it is believed, is made up of fans from lower league clubs, while Aberdeen is thought of as a stronghold for the supporters of the national team.

Yet, data revealed by the digital manager of the SFA shows that Rangers have the biggest percentage of fans among Scotland Supporter Club members.

They are followed by four of the other 'big five' - if you will. Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Hibs, in that order.

Michael Bochel tweeted: "Probably a good opportunity to dispel some myths about the Scotland support. Based on the last time I looked (Dec 2018) the teams supported by Supporter Club members in order of % were:

Rangers

Aberdeen

Celtic

Hearts

Hibs

Kilmarnock

Dundee United

St Mirren

I don’t know of any Rangers supporter who now watches Scotland.
Whilst at one time I knew dozens in the seventies who attended.
In fact Rangers supporters buses used to run buses to the Scotland matches.

In the early 80s we used to get a great allocation of Scotland v England and England v Scotland tickets via the RFCSA for our supporters club.

Apart from the Italian game at Ibrox, the last Scotland game I paid to watch was vs East Germany. :oops:

I last attended a Scotland match in the late 80s and the guy standing just down from me started booing during the National anthem.
I had a choice knock the c unt our or walk away and since I got arrested at the cup final in the summer of that year. It was a no - brainier and that was my last Scotland match.

In the early 80s we used to get a great allocation of Scotland v England and England v Scotland tickets via the RFCSA for our supporters club.

Apart from the Italian game at Ibrox, the last Scotland game I paid to watch was vs East Germany. :oops:
The last game I was at was east Germany in the 80’s at hampden. Me and my dad left at halftime. He said he wouldn’t go and watch them again after that and never has.

Still?

I guess it would have been majority Rangers right up to the 2000s (50%+).

Now you'd guess that we would be 35% or something but still the biggest grouping.

Can only say Im surprised that we still have the biggest share and in way these figures further emphasise just how much bigger we are in Scotland than the rest, as you have many Rangers fans (such as myself) who actively want the SFA XI to get pumped every game

I go to Scotland games when I can.

I have took my son who had a Rangers strip on and there were other kids there with Scotland strips on.

The internet has made up this thing that Scotland fans hate Rangers when I have never experienced it myself but can't categorically state that it doesn't happen.

best thing to do is, get the SSC/ Rangers percentage then compare with rest.......I predict smaller outcome

I last attended a Scotland match in the late 80s and the guy standing just down from me started booing during the National anthem.
I had a choice knock the c unt our or walk away and since I got arrested at the cup final in the summer of that year. It was a no - brainier and that was my last Scotland match.
You should have behaved yourself at the cup final so you could have leathered this numpty.

How do we know they are "Bears" . After all what's to stop a Dunfermline fan putting Rangers down as a response on the questionnaire.

Only in Scotland can you go about driving your biggest section of support away say nothing when a section boo their own players because of their club team that they play for I hope every bear does not to go for the forseeable future hit the sfa where it hurts in the pocket

The Scotland "haters" are motivated by their dislike for Scottish politicians and football authorities. They feel this is reason enough to call our country a shitehole, cesspit etc. We are the only country I know who have meekly surrendered our country's football team.

people are confusing the Scotland support with the self proclaimed Tartan Army of Hamish Husband and the like

Rangers fans have always been the core of the Scotland support. Just a lot of us have become disalutioned with the authorities that run our game. But we were the majority before 2012. And were still the majority even with no players present in the squad. Once we get a few players back in the attendances will go back up..

surprise surprise, Scotland's best supported club has the most fans represented in national team support.

what's the betting the Filth are second...

I don't go to the games and I don't even watch them consistently on the telly, but I still class myself as a supporter. I can understand hatred of the SFA, but I can't understand hatred of your national team. We're probably the only nation where this sort of mindset exists.

Last edited:
Absolutely sickened by that, to be honest.

No wonder we get shafted from all angles in this country.

people are confusing the Scotland support with the self proclaimed Tartan Army of Hamish Husband and the like
By people you mean, Clarke, the SFA, SPFL, media, tartan trannies and snp keyboard warriors ?

I go to Scotland games when I can.

I have took my son who had a Rangers strip on and there were other kids there with Scotland strips on.

The internet has made up this thing that Scotland fans hate Rangers when I have never experienced it myself but can't categorically state that it doesn't happen.

I don’t but I see nothing wrong in it at all , why should we meekly surrender our country to haters ? Fck that .

My brother took his son v Cyprus , I’ve workmates who are Rangers and go everywhere with Scotland home or away .

It’s an utter myth that Rangers fans don’t support Scotland .

Scotland's results are off no interest to me . Used to hardly miss a game home and away but the anti rangers brigade grew very quickly till one night in France could not take anymore you would have thought we were amongst a mentally challenged hovel . Ashamed to say it but knocked two out a aberdonian and a Falkirk supporter called me a Orange H** Bast*** . Never went to another game or watched a highlights programme . They can lie in their own republican piss . And simply don't believe bears have not heard there shit

I go to Ibrox with 4 mates all Scottish,we all hate the SFA and have no time for the Scotland football team.
In the pub (District)before and after Rangers games most Bears that I chat with could not give a shit about Scotland,it must be a South West Glasgow thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back