Scott Arfield (Again)

Bluebrox

Turning it on in dead rubber games when the season is over is not much use in reality.

Too many players let us down this season when it actually mattered. Arfield being one of them.

Bluethruandthru

Really like the guy but he's been shy of big goals v the taigs and the sheep when we really needed them this season. Harsh I know because he's been superb of late, but that's what it's going to take if we're to overtake the filth next season

Bothwell Street Bear

What's to explain?

It's no use 'doing the biz' in meaningless matches.

Time to do it as routine when it counts. (like 29/12/18)

Surely that's not asking much?

Oh, and his miss to make it four was a howler.
Up until the ‘meaningless games’ came about, he was used ineffectively. His change of position/role, has brought out the best in him.

Also, he was magnificent on the 29/12/18.

50p Flute

He's been superb of late and if he carries that form into next season and adds a solid bit of consistency to his game then he will be a vital player in our title aspirations.
Whilst I get some of the criticism he has received this season, I have criticised him myself at times, some of the snide nonsense on this thread alone is absolutely boggin.
Injuries and suspensions (not just for him but team mates he links with) have hindered him somewhat, with a better understanding of the team and a better balance we are now seeing what he is capable of and long may it continue.
Oh, and he 'gets' it, be fantastic to see him win the league with us.

interbear

Arfield is a quality player, really intelligent movement and never stops. He’s captain material for me, I think he’d relish the responsibility. Position wise, in the front 3 rather than middle 3 he has found his role for Rangers and I hope he continues to play in that position next season. What he adds is guile and movement in and around the middle of the front 3 in support of the striker, he is also free to go wide when needed. This makes a massive difference for our midfield trio as they have options to pass through the middle not just out wide to wingers which was our only (all too predictable) option for months.

Arfield is linking well with Defoe but let’s not forget that he also links very well with Morelos so if we do keep Morelos in the summer that will work too. A top 3 of Arfield plus Morelos/Defoe plus a winger (Kent ideally but I think we’ll struggle to keep him) would work well. And if we do sell Morelos I’m pretty confident that if we replace him with a decent quality striker, Arfield will link well with him too.

cav

I hardly got to a game early in the season and as such didn’t really appreciate the work Arfield gets through for us,as the op has correctly pointed out before it’s not the same watching on the box at all.
Couple of games live and his value to us was blatantly obvious,the only issue has been fitness at times which unless I’m mistaken-the player has played through the pain barrier on more than a few occasions for us-and most probably to his own detriment also.

BroxburnBear

Both he and Jack were carrying injuries at the same time which hugely impacted their form. Unfortunately, due to the nature of these things, you'll rarely find managers mentioning that players are only 70 or 80% fit and as fans, we only tend to see someone playing poorly without giving consideration to the underlying reason(s).

cav

Both he and Jack were carrying injuries at the same time which hugely impacted their form. Unfortunately, due to the nature of these things, you'll rarely find managers mentioning that players are only 70 or 80% fit and as fans, we only tend to see someone playing poorly without giving consideration to the underlying reason(s).
We needed a lot of luck this season with injuries given the overhaul and rebuilding of the squad-unfortunately we didn’t get it.

Kaiserweiss

I agree with you about his movement.
He is one of those players who could shrug an SAS team off inside a darkened room.
But he has his flaws and today it was obvious that he wasn't at his best.
Had Scotty been playing at 100% Rangers would be sitting on top of a six to seven figure goal tally.
But he was always on top of his brief nonetheless.

Awe aye

devilman

He's a superb player - great signing for us. It's really good that he has been given a bit more freedom in being a bit more forward. Makes a massive difference.

Seems to work very well with Defoe as well.

Woodrow Call

We have the most positive of posters in Mearns and the most negative of posters in the Legend of Bud.

I like them both.

My own opinion is Arfields a bit meh. This is pressure free football against a shit Hearts team who are going to Hampden for a 5-0.
It's no coincidence that Boyd only scored once v Celtic in a pressure free game after the league was won.

I reckon we need better than Arfield to win the league.

Dooodooodrooo

I'll be amazed if he goes anywhere. He could have stayed in the EPL but chose to come back home. Only way I can see it is if we're offered silly money and we accept. I don't think the player has any inkling to go anywhere.