Scott Arfield

What's the story

If, as is widely reported, we are looking to strengthen the central midfield area with 1 or 2 signings what does that mean for him?

Davis. Jack. Kamara all ahead at the moment. Seems the experiment of him playing further forward is over. Is he one that could go before end of the window?

I’d keep him as cover this season and look to move him on next season.

Good guy but we need better.

Really like Arfield a lot, but he’s another player I just can’t envisage being a regular starter in a title winning side. Forms up and down way too often. Heard folk say he was great at times last season, which is true, only sad part is like much of the rest of them, he was also brutal at times, too many games where he couldn’t even get the first touch right never mind a pass.

Really like Arfield a lot, but he’s another player I just can’t envisage being a regular starter in a title winning side. Forms up and down way too often. Heard folk say he was great at times last season, which is true, only sad part is like much of the rest of them, he was also brutal at times, too many games where he couldn’t even get the first touch right never mind a pass.

Arfield gets off lightly for last season, on the basis he had 6 good games, post split.

Likeable guy, good round the dressing room, but he can’t start and win a league now.

Arfield gets off lightly for last season, on the basis he had 6 good games, post split.

Likeable guy, good round the dressing room, but he can’t start and win a league now.

Absolutely spot on. But good luck telling that to the gurus and Guardiola’s on here, these guys that think the rest of us are clueless but simultaneously cannot tell you why you’re wrong. Remember a thread on him being bumped a few times after scoring cracking goals, with some roaster tagging me as though those goals somehow eradicated the previous 15-20 subpar-poor performances.

He’s definitely a useful squad player, and he did step up a bit post split, but for the most part he was honking, I just remember tearing my hair out because any time the ball was played to him it just felt like it would bounce off him and we’d be chasing possession again. But there’s no doubt he’s a extremely likeable guy.

He's a good player to have in the squad. He'll play a part across the season.

He's not the best in possession but offers something different to a lot of our other options.

Absolutely spot on. But good luck telling that to the gurus and Guardiola’s on here, these guys that think the rest of us are clueless but simultaneously cannot tell you why you’re wrong.

He’s definitely a useful squad player, and he did step up a bit post split, but for the most part he was honking, I just remember tearing my hair out because any time the ball was played to him it just felt like it would bounce off him and we’d be chasing possession again. But there’s no doubt he’s a extremely likeable guy.

I think a lot of it comes down to that ridiculous Canada tournament that summer.

He was moving like a dead horse after that.

He’s too old for that pish. Long season, summer tournament, then back straight into a Euro campaign.

No wonder it took him 6 months and a mid season break to recover. Needs to knock that on the head.

Still has a big role to play. He’s also instrumental with new and younger players. Notice how many times they mention him as someone who’s huge for them at the club.

There’s plenty of games for Scot Arfield to be had an injury or suspension to jack or Kamara leaves us very light

I think so.

Maybe we just run him down to retirement.

I get the feeling he then goes to Falkirk for a year or two. He’s a great guy and will probably do it for free.
Possibly, nobody will take him with the wages he is on.
And i think he wont go back down south.
Need to be a pay off next summer, and i dont think it would be worth it to do that.
Better on the bench imo

I dont think he brings anything to us anymore and wouldnt be concerned about getting him off the wage bill. Arfield and Defoe had a nice wee link up going for a few games and scored a couple crackers when we were struggling after Christmas last season but hes just not good enough any more imo.

Fantastic squad player and can cover various positions.

It's great to have this cover. Would like to see Arfield in the holding midfield role to see how he does.

Absolutely spot on. But good luck telling that to the gurus and Guardiola’s on here, these guys that think the rest of us are clueless but simultaneously cannot tell you why you’re wrong. Remember a thread on him being bumped a few times after scoring cracking goals, with some roaster tagging me as though those goals somehow eradicated the previous 15-20 subpar-poor performances.

he’s one of those players if he doesn’t score then you’re not really sure what his contribution to the game is.

he tries to move the ball quickly at least but has frustrating runs of games where nothing comes off for him.

he’s worth keeping this year because he covers a few positions and hes obviously a massive bear and loves playing with us the more people that can identify with us the better. Especially this season.

I like Scott and think he’d be a useful player to keep in the squad but I think last year it was obvious his place in the front 3 was where an upgrade was required but we bottled it a bit as he was one of the favourites of many perhaps including management.

That said when he stared to get targeted by the boo boys I was glad to hear Gerrard come out and back him.

He's most effective these days in a defensive midfield role. Uses his experience and nous to shuffle from side to side to deny space.

he’s one of those players if he doesn’t score then you’re not really sure what his contribution to the game is.

he tries to move the ball quickly at least but has frustrating runs of games where nothing comes off for him.

he’s worth keeping this year because he covers a few positions and hes obviously a massive bear and loves playing with us the more people that can identify with us the better. Especially this season.

He’s absolutely worth keeping. I just think he has way too many subpar games to be a regular starter in a trophy winning side. When his touch goes it really goes.

I've been shouting for us to buy a player in a similar mould but with better quality for some time now.

He is the only midfielder who breaks through the lines & often gets beyond Morelos. His link up play is also good middle to front. Shame he is let down by his touch so often.

Useful player for the squad but would love us to add someone of a better class on the ball but with the same energy & movement

He’ll be a squad player, similar to Davis.

Ideal players to turn to if we’re looking to “manage” the game from a winning margin in the last 15mins or so.

I'd keep him, he's proved himself in a few big games and can still bring that experience when needed. It's the system that's maybe not suiting him anymore but I still think he can adapt and play his part.

Gerrard's first sub in about 90% of the games he doesn't start. I really like Arfield but he is a squad player now , a younger midfielder in his mould is exactly what we need

Agree with every word.

I like Arfield but it's clear in order for us to win the league the squad needs to keep evolving.

Decent squad player to have but no more no less now.

Even that tackle with Considine the other week, shocker as it was, it all started with Arfield miscontrolling the ball trying to carry it forward.

As others have said, will be a squad player and a very useful one at that. We seen it in Europe also, he is suited to certain games and will have his part to play this season still. I like the guy and he's one of the players i'd love to see lift that league trophy before he goes.

From the begining of 2020 (until the shutdown) Scotty was arguably our best player.I was very surprised that he wasn’t a starter when the new season got going.I like his game. ;)

Considering he’s probably on around £20k a week, I don’t see him contributing much to us this season

Bench player and an expensive one at that.

Would be happy to thank him and move him on

I like Arfield and think he's good as an option off the bench.

My hunch is that his legs are starting to go which is a large part of why we barely see him anymore. When he's playing well he has a lot to offer.

Back