Scott of the Antarctic, a Bear?

borders billy

Visited Exeter cathedral and saw this :)) , Scott of the Antarctic sledge flag.anyone know the origins?

Screenshot-20201026-165153.png

Lawrence "Titus" Oates actually only left the tent to try and find an off licence. They had managed to get a radio signal and Scott the Boss wanted a few cans to listen to the game. The Gers were playing that other big team from Glasgow that day. Queens Park.
Take a bow mate. :)

Birdie Bowers who died with Scott was from Greenock. He was twenty nine.

There’s a plaque on the wall of the house where he was born and lived in in Greenock at the Esplanade.

He was only 5’4” but hard as nails.

Henry Robertson (Birdie) Bowers was the first Scot to stand at the South Pole.

:)

Any time I watch anything to do with Scott or Amundsen or similar I'm always staggered that they went to these places in the equivalent of Gloverall Duffel coats and woolly scarfs and jumpers their sweethearts knitted for them. Oilskin waterproofs, too, everything weighed a ton when wet.
Hard, hard men.
I'm pretty sure there was a group of servicemen who attempted to replicate Shackleton's epic sea, then overland journey on South Georgia wearing similar clothing. Unsurprisingly some had to drop out during the trip. I always find it an incredible statistic that not one of his men were lost either on that trip, or those left behind for months on the ice flow. Tough and resilient does'nt begin to cover it.

Any time I watch anything to do with Scott or Amundsen or similar I'm always staggered that they went to these places in the equivalent of Gloverall Duffel coats and woolly scarfs and jumpers their sweethearts knitted for them. Oilskin waterproofs, too, everything weighed a ton when wet.
Hard, hard men.
Mallory and Irvine went up Everest looking like they were going for a walk up Kinder Scout. Tweed jackets and jumpers and hob nailed boots.

Back