Scott Wright in training

This was the position I wanted strengthened during the transfer window. Cortes helps but I still think it’s weaker than CF. Wright and Matondo will play plenty this season.

Can see him struggling to make the match squad once Lawrence, Jack Etc are back involved every week.

Mccausland will start and I think the winger space will go to Matondo.

Great at Hampden but struggles to do it at Ibrox. He isnt consistent enough to be playing for us in all honesty. Surely cant be kept at the end of the season.

He’s fortunate in that he plays a position RW that we haven’t addressed for a number of years. The fact that we gave him a 4.5 year contract is absolutely baffling.

He must be some player in training because that's 4 managers now who continue to give him chances to start games. Despite the fact his good performances since signing have been so rare.

Is he just a player who cant handle the pressure of performing infront of a big crowd? He isn't the first or last if so.

I just can't understand how someone managers clearly take to, gets chances so regularly but never takes them.

What do we think the reason is? Does he fall into similar category to Brandon Barker? By all accounts excellent in training but can't reproduce on the park when it matters.

He's been at the club a long time now and I'm still at a loss as to how he has managed to last so long. This isnt based purely on Saturday where he was very poor but the majority of his time with us. Bar the odd good moment at Hampden you're pushed to find good performances in 3 years. Yet managers continue to rate him highly enough to have him in and around.

You wonder how many more windows he can possibly survive without improvement.

I'm one of those who thinks there is a player in Scott. However he continually fails to deliver, with the few notable exceptions, and imho Saturday should bring an end to his Ibrox career. He should have been bursting a gut to show the manager he is a far better player that he has shown on recent appearances but we got exactly what we have come to expect, no end product whatsoever.

What is it with some of you pathetic wee guys who need to rip at least one Rangers player to shreds every day?

I would say you all surely have better things to do with your time but clearly not.

What is it with some of you pathetic wee guys who need to rip at least one Rangers player to shreds every day?

I would say you all surely have better things to do with your time but clearly not.

Pathetic wee guys?

My post isn't ripping anyone to threads for a start. It's an opinions forum, if you don't like it scroll past it.

Coming from the guy online on a monday morning maybe you don't have better things to do either :D

Wright is always better on the bench with the option to bring him on later to freshen up the attack and inject a bit of pace. A decent lad but I'm afraid his talents aren't exactly top drawer.

Lad put in around 10 crosses at weekend and I think one may have been decent. His end product is always poor but then he’s not the only one in team whose end product is poor. Our decision making and final ball in last 3rd is no where near good enough so we can’t just single out Wright for that.
He’s a squad player and that’s it. Hasn’t developed as we hoped sadly. It’s also not his fault we offered him the length of contract or wages we did. That’s in others.

We should maybe have a limit of 3 years in contract length and £4k a week in wages for Scottish players we bring in to be squad players. To be honest I’d much rather look internally to our youth for squad options. Rather develop and improve our own than buy squad options in.

Obviously anyone Scottish who is tearing up the league and we went for as a 1st 11 player would get a better deal tho.

It makes sense to play him against a lower league side and give your regular starter a rest. I don't see the issue.

He is in the squad because his move fell through in August and because as a homegrown player he is a free hit in our European squad. On the basis that he is in the squad, we have had terrible injury problems and a lack of wide players, then it makes sense that we need to keep him match fit, which means giving him minutes.

He's a very limited player technically, but he offers pace and running that will often have it's place in the eyes of any manager.

That said, he should be used sparingly.

I think the fact that he’s played under four managers just highlights two things.

A) How poorly we’ve recruited at right wing since Gerrard came in.

B) How hard it is to find a right sided player who can play in front of Tavernier.

Said it a million times, but we’ve never really nailed that position since Candeias left. No, I’m not saying he was the answer or anything, but it’s the comfiest that Tav’s looked with a regular ‘partner’ in front of him while they both still posted decent numbers.

Time he furthered his career elsewhere. He is obviously required to meet European quota of home grown players, a summer exit expected

Rarely influences or contributes as a sub. Worse as a starter.

One of these players who is there to make up the numbers and causes us more problems than the opposition.
Has influenced many a game when on as a sub. Semi finals, finals but aye causes us more problems than the opposition.

Said it a million times, but we’ve never really nailed that position since Candeias left. No, I’m not saying he was the answer or anything, but it’s the comfiest that Tav’s looked with a regular ‘partner’ in front of him while they both still posted decent numbers.

James Tavernier has been named in a European team of the season and the domestic player of the season in a league season when his team went unbeaten and smashed goals conceded records since Candies left.

James Tavernier has been named in a European team of the season and the domestic player of the season in a league season when his team went unbeaten and smashed goals conceded records since Candies left.
But he’s not had someone starting in front of him who’s looked comfy while still posting the numbers expected of a Rangers attacker. I think being able to name an absolutely nailed down strongest starting eleven is a positive, and while McCausland looks like he could be it, it’s been years since we’ve had a regular there.

It’s no slight on Tav, but he’s continually had a changing situation in front of him with a mish-mash of players who are substandard or out of position.

I’d imagine he goes in the summer.

Could leave with 2x league titles, 2x Scottish cup, 1x league cup and started a European final.

From his personal vantage, what a move that’s been!

An Aberdeen level player who the club took a punt on hoping he could improve, it's not worked out. The club need to realise though that players like that shouldn't be on crazy contracts of 4 years for 7-10k a week, they are signing for a big club that's a reward in itself and more years should be on the clubs terms and target based.

I'm not naive enough to think they won't get more than their last club but the deals we hand out to players like Wright just don't add up for me.

But he’s not had someone starting in front of him who’s looked comfy while still posting the numbers expected of a Rangers attacker. I think being able to name an absolutely nailed down strongest starting eleven is a positive, and while McCausland looks like he could be it, it’s been years since we’ve had a regular there.

It’s no slight on Tav, but he’s continually had a changing situation in front of him with a mish-mash of players who are substandard or out of position.

Yes he has, Hagi, Roofe and Aribo would play on the right in season 2020/21 and all 3 would regularly contribute to goals and assists while playing there.

James Tavernier has become a far superior football player since the departure of Daniel Candieas.

He’s a terrible football player but has won every trophy up here and been in a euro final.

Will be in EH every now and then when he retires.

We gave him a long-term contract at a level he won't find elsewhere, so if he's here and he plays in a position we've struggled with for years, he will continue to get minutes. Horrible footballer though.

He must be some player in training because that's 4 managers now who continue to give him chances to start games. Despite the fact his good performances since signing have been so rare.

Is he just a player who cant handle the pressure of performing infront of a big crowd? He isn't the first or last if so.

I just can't understand how someone managers clearly take to, gets chances so regularly but never takes them.

What do we think the reason is? Does he fall into similar category to Brandon Barker? By all accounts excellent in training but can't reproduce on the park when it matters.

He's been at the club a long time now and I'm still at a loss as to how he has managed to last so long. This isnt based purely on Saturday where he was very poor but the majority of his time with us. Bar the odd good moment at Hampden you're pushed to find good performances in 3 years. Yet managers continue to rate him highly enough to have him in and around.

You wonder how many more windows he can possibly survive without improvement.

He was signed on a low fee and low wages. He’s Scottish so so can be registered for Europe as a homegrown player.

Until a better prospect comes through the youth ranks he’ll be on our bench.

It is what it is I’m afraid

He's a decent sub to have and can make an impact from the bench. He really doesn't deserve a start for us though.

he’s a squad player on relatively low wages. When we signed him we hoped he would progress into a much better player and be able to sell him for a good fee. He’s not progressed imo, he hasn’t added anything to his game at all really but all that said he’s not a big problem. We don’t lose matches because of Scott Wright.
You know the drill on here, if you don’t like a player, think of a big number for a wage, double it and blame the board.

According to one on line source, he earns less than Leon King and has him as our 4th lowest salary, the other 3 below him are kids.

Yes he has, Hagi, Roofe and Aribo would play on the right in season 2020/21 and all 3 would regularly contribute to goals and assists while playing there.

James Tavernier has become a far superior football player since the departure of Daniel Candieas.
I don’t think you are really grasping my point, given that you’ve picked out two central midfielders and a striker who have been shoehorned into right midfield, of which two are currently not at the club :))

We haven’t had a regular guaranteed pairing of right back and right winger for as long as I can remember. For a good few years on the other side it was Kent and Barisic and they worked well together, I’m simply saying we’ve not had that on the other side.

I don’t think you are really grasping my point, given that you’ve picked out two central midfielders and a striker who have been shoehorned into right midfield, of which two are currently not at the club :))

We haven’t had a regular guaranteed pairing of right back and right winger for as long as I can remember. For a good few years on the other side it was Kent and Barisic and they worked well together, I’m simply saying we’ve not had that on the other side.

I am grasping your point, you typed it out - it’s the comfiest that Tav’s looked with a regular ‘partner’ in front of him, that partner being Daniel Candieas.

Since Candieas left Tavernier has played in a team who went unbeaten domestically and broke records for goals conceded while he picked up numerous player of the month awards and a player of the year award. He then went on to be named in a European team of the season. He achieved none of that with Daniel Candieas

Rangers as a football team have went on to be a lot better and achieve more without a player like Candieas and instead players who were "shoehorned" into an unbeaten domestic season actually offered a far better fit and greater level of comfort to Tavernier.

So yes, I grasp your point, it's just a really silly one

He's a decent sub to have and can make an impact from the bench. He really doesn't deserve a start for us though.

If we want to get back to winning things consistently then our subs have to be of a higher standard than Scott Wright.

I bear no ill will towards him whatsoever because all evidence suggests that he's a decent pro, with a good attitude. He certainly isn't a bad player, he's just miles off being the level we need going forward.

I am grasping your point, you typed it out - it’s the comfiest that Tav’s looked with a regular ‘partner’ in front of him, that partner being Daniel Candieas.

Since Candieas left Tavernier has played in a team who went unbeaten domestically and broke records for goals conceded while he picked up numerous player of the month awards and a player of the year award. He then went on to be named in a European team of the season. He achieved none of that with Daniel Candieas

Rangers as a football team have went on to be a lot better and achieve more without a player like Candieas and instead players who were "shoehorned" into an unbeaten domestic season actually offered a far better fit and greater level of comfort to Tavernier.

So yes, I grasp your point, it's just a really silly one
You’re not though, but you seem to think you are.

Rangers haven’t had a nailed down right sided attacker who’s brought in the number of goals and assists we’d expect consistently for god knows how long. Going back to the comparison with Kent and Barisic - they maybe didn’t get the goals we’d have liked outside of the 55 season, but they had regular assists.

Hagi (a central mid) Roofe (a striker) and Aribo (a midfielder) and whoever else you want to pull out of the sky have played there, but it’s not ever been their natural position. You’re getting too hung up on the Candeias comment when it’s purely being used to highlight the last time we had a right sided attacker who was natural there.

You say Tav’s been comfy? In an attacking sense yeah, he continues to be great. Is he often left exposed defensively? Again, you’ve got to say it sometimes happens too much and we’re still susceptible to goals from crosses.

Poses the question of what we want from that position while Tavernier is at the club and whether an out and out winger would even work at all.

You’re not though, but you seem to think you are.

Rangers haven’t had a nailed down right sided attacker who’s brought in the number of goals and assists we’d expect consistently for god knows how long. Going back to the comparison with Kent and Barisic - they maybe didn’t get the goals we’d have liked outside of the 55 season, but they had regular assists.

Hagi (a central mid) Roofe (a striker) and Aribo (a midfielder) and whoever else you want to pull out of the sky have played there, but it’s not ever been their natural position. You’re getting too hung up on the Candeias comment when it’s purely being used to highlight the last time we had a right sided attacker who was natural there.

You say Tav’s been comfy? In an attacking sense yeah, he continues to be great. Is he often left exposed defensively? Again, you’ve got to say it sometimes happens too much and we’re still susceptible to goals from crosses.

Poses the question of what we want from that position while Tavernier is at the club and whether an out and out winger would even work at all.

Do you watch Rangers?

Tavernier has played in multiple sides now who were and even at this actual moment currently are more solid defensively than when he had Candieas in front of him.

Since Candieas left Rangers have broke records in the league for goals conceded and this season are averaging 0.5 goals a game against us in the league. It is 12 goals against in 19 games, at this moment it's a stretch to try and suggest our defense is a problem.

Daniel Candies played for us in a season when we lost 50 goals, more in that league season then Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibernian, Kilmarnock and Motherwell. That, that’s a side who were conceding chances, and goals.

Which situation do you think Tavernier is more comfortable in.

A player like Candieas, a natural winger who played regularly didn't actually have the positive impact on the team players like Aribo, Hagi and Roofe had who had the ability and talent to transpose across multiple positions during a game which is what Rangers need from an attacking player, and they actually did bring the attacking threats needed, which is why they played in a side who won a league title when they were fit and healthy, a thing we never looked like doing with a player like Candies in our side.

On the broader point, it generally hasn't made any difference at all what type of player has been in front of Tavernier he has mostly been comfortable during his time as a Ranger, and it sure wasn't something that depended on Daniel Candieas and he has achieved far more as a player without him in the side than he did with him in it.

Last edited:
Wright stats, wiki says 103 appearances, I can only find 102.

Gerrard
42 games: Starts 8, Sub 18 = 26 App
Bench 9, Injured 3, Not in squad 4 = 16

McCallum
1 game: Starts 0, Sub 1

Gio
68 games: Starts 18, Sub 20 = 38 App
Bench 23, Injured 0, Not in squad 7 = 30

Beale
43 games: Starts 1, Sub 20 = 21 App
Bench 14, Injured 0, Not in squad 8 = 22

Davis
2 games: Starts 1, Suspended 1

Phil
24 games: Starts 4, Sub 11 = 15 App
Bench 1, Injured 8, Not in squad 0 = 9

Total
180 games: Starts 32, Sub 70 = 102 App.
Bench 47, Injured/Suspended 12, Not in squad 19 = 78

Clearly has a cracking attitude, always puts in the effort in training. Doesn't cause friction with other players and is available more often than not.

He can at least say he gave it his all, the talent just wasn't there. Not every player that plays for us can say the same.
Fantastic post - I think you've hit the nail on the head.
It's crystal that he loves the Rangers - puts 100% in and as far as I can recall, never been injured.

I’d be surprised if Wright is still here beyond the summer, but for half a million quid or whatever it was, he’s been absolutely fine as a squad player.

Back