Scott Wright - Welcome to Rangers - Official

TIME'S WRIGHT

Rangers-bound Aberdeen star Wright is perfect fit for Ibrox club, says Miller​

EXCLUSIVE
  • 25 Jan 2021, 23:56
  • Updated: 25 Jan 2021, 23:56
MR WRIGHT by name, Mr Right by nature.
Rangers director of football Ross Wilson mentioned how humble the club’s new signing was after getting the deal over the line.

⚠️ Read our Scottish transfer live blog for the latest news & gossip

Aberdeen star Scott Wright
Aberdeen star Scott Wright
And Kenny Miller reckons that attitude will stand his former team-mate in good stead at Ibrox.
Scott Wright will quit Aberdeen for Gers at the end of this season after signing a pre-contract agreement and a three-year deal.
It’s a huge move for the 23-year-old, who played alongside Ibrox legend Miller during a loan stint at Dundee.
Miller told SunSport: “Scotty is a great boy.
Rangers legend Kenny Miller during his time at Dundee
Rangers legend Kenny Miller during his time at Dundee
"First and foremost, he’s a lovely lad who is humble, respectful and eager to listen and learn — and get better.
"I actually couldn’t give him a better reference on that score.
“He’s not one of these young players who thinks he knows it all. Far from it.
"He’s got a great way about him. He’s a clever boy with a good head on his shoulders.

“I know for a fact he will be approaching this in the right frame of mind and recognising it as one helluva opportunity.

BET BONUS Get risk free £20 bet on Hibs vs Rangers

“He’ll need that when he goes to Rangers because it’s a step up for him and it’s important players realise that when they move.
“But I definitely think he’s got the capability to do well.”
Miller reckons Wright has the potential to improve further, especially with better players around him.
Believing in himself and throwing everything at making the grade there will be key.
Miller added: “Scotty is a good player. I really liked him at Dundee. He is technically very good and a quick thinker too.
Wright celebrates after scoring for Dundee in 2019
Wright celebrates after scoring for Dundee in 2019
“We were in a dogfight at the time and, if I’m being honest, that probably didn’t suit him.
“That said, he still did pretty well and was a good outlet for the team at the time.
“I just think he’ll kick on with better players around him.
"That’s no disrespect to Aberdeen, but Scotty is the type of player who I think will thrive at Rangers.
“When he has guys like Steven Davis and Ryan Jack alongside him, then that’s only going to help him.
“Even just training with these guys every single day will improve him.
“Scotty fits the Rangers model in terms of his age and profile. He can play in different roles, either through the middle or out wide.
“It’s up to Scotty to go to Rangers and grab his chance.
“He needs to show he can handle the step up and cope with the demands and daily pressures of being at Rangers.
“There’s no doubt the way he plays will suit the way that Rangers play.
Jordan Jones in action for Rangers
Jordan Jones in action for Rangers
“But it’s about mentality and the realisation that you need to work harder than ever before when you make a move like this.
“It’s not going to be easy for him because he needs to show he is better than the players he is up against in that squad.
“When he turns up in the summer, I’m sure he’ll come out with all the soundbites players always come out with when they sign for Rangers — insisting he’s there to play and make an impact.
“But saying it and doing it are two different things.
“Look at someone like Jordan Jones, who joined Rangers from Kilmarnock when he was absolutely flying.
“He terrorised us when he played against us.
“If you’d asked James Tavernier who was the winger who gave him the hardest time, he would have said Jordan Jones — and yet it’s not worked out for Jordan at Rangers in the way he’d have hoped.
“Scotty has to go into Rangers with the determination to move people like Ianis Hagi, Joe Aribo, Scott Arfield and even Ryan Kent out the way.
“And the way to do that is by working harder that ever.
“That’s not just on a Saturday, that’s every single minute at training too, when he’s in at the training ground Monday to Friday.

Do %^*& all business with those rat bastards in the future... it’s ok to get big Ross on loan with option to buy to help them , so scott has to stay there and take all the shit :mad:

Have a feeling he will be with us this week. Can’t see Aberdeen wanting to keep him and if they did it’s not in our interests to have him not getting game 2nd over the next 6 months.

Why wouldn't they keep him and play him?

They have a 2nd place to pretend to fight for.

The sheepies have just recalled a young winger/attacking midfielder from a loan at Raith Rovers.

I might be jumping the gun, but I wonder if Scotty Wright will be here for #55?

Why is Miller calling him Scotty , no one else is using that ? Does Scott get called that ?
Most Scott’s get called “Scotty”, Gerrard calls Arfield that & Miller is mates with Wright after playing together at Dundee.

Not even sure if it counts as a nickname to be honest, sign of affection I suppose? :))

Would be good to get him in before the end of the window to help him settle in before the start of next season

Do %^*& all business with those rat bastards in the future... it’s ok to get big Ross on loan with option to buy to help them , so scott has to stay there and take all the shit :mad:
We aren’t really doing business with them. He’s out of contract so they don’t have much choice.

They are owed a decent development fee so they have more sway over the decision than you'd think.

Spot on. The rumour is that Sheep expect the development fee they will receive will be around £300k. Therefore how much over that amount are Rangers willing to pay to get the player for essentially 4 months game time.

Dundee took £50k to let Kamara go early but feel Sheep would want at least double that.

Spot on. The rumour is that Sheep expect the development fee they will receive will be around £300k. Therefore how much over that amount are Rangers willing to pay to get the player for essentially 4 months game time.

Dundee took £50k to let Kamara go early but feel Sheep would want at least double that.
I don't think you are too far out there. Hastie, at Motherwell, was in a similar position. We apparently settled amicably on a fee of circa £350k to get him in early. I suspect it would take similar, or perhaps a wee nudge up to £400K, to get Wright. He's gonna cost us in the £300k-£400k bracket in any case. We could wait to the Summer and let it go to a Tribunal but both sides then run the risk that the Tribunal will 'do them over' and, generally, prefer at settlement.

"Wright, who has been at his hometown club since 2008, will not command a development transfer fee due to his age which makes the coup even better."

The recent Athletic article on Wright says above in relation to development fees.
I swear a poster put on here the other day

“Jordan Campbell of the athletic has said Rangers will need to pay a development fee”

Must be going mental, because you are right the article does say what you suggested.

“1 Upon expiry of his agreement a Professional Player shall be free to conclude a new agreement with
any Club, which wishes to engage his services providing this is during one of the Registration Periods or special dispensation has been granted in accordance with Paragraph 3.5. Following upon expiry of such agreement any rights to a compensation fee by his previous Club shall lapse at the end of the Season in which the Player reaches the age of 23.”

He’s 23 now and we have him on a pre contract effective for the end of the season. As it will be past the end of the footballing season are Aberdeen now no longer eligible for compensation? I’m not too clear on this

Sheep forum say no development fee in summer. Ties in with what informed folk have said over last few days
The SPFL Rules are, as always, confusing on this.

Under 'Compensation' the SPFL Rules say:

F3 Compensation shall be payable to the former Club of a Player only where the Player concerned is Registered with his new Club at or before the end of the first Season in which the Player concerned reaches, will reach or shall have reached the age of 23.

'Compensation' is defined as: Compensation means compensation payable to Club for the training and development of a Player in terms of Rule F3;

For me, that indicates that we would be due the Sheep a substantial 'Dev Fee' if he moves now or before next season starts (he will be 24 in August).

Under 'Development Contribution' the SPFL Rules say:

F24 Subject to Rules F25 and F36, in the event that a Player is Registered to another Club on or prior to his 23rd birthday, the Club to whom that Player was last Registered shall be entitled to payment of a Development Contribution for the youth development of that Player if he was, during all or, where it is the case, part, of any Development Contribution Year in his Development Contribution Period, Registered to or Associated with that Club.

Slightly, but significantly, different. In my view this section doesn't apply to our acquisition of Wright.

'Development Contribution' is defined as: Development Contribution means an amount payable by one Club to another Club for the costs of the training and development of a young player in accordance with Rule F24;

The SPFL Rules - see pages 60-74.

The Rules of the Scottish Professional Football League (spfl.co.uk)

If, for example, 'the season in which he turns 23' ends on 31 July and we want him in before then a Dev Fee would be due is how I read it.

Last edited:
Welcome to Rangers!

Please remember, this is a signing made through Ross Wilson and the management team unlike a few of the other wingers recently under Mark Allen.

He’ll have been meticulously reviewed so he will fit into our style of play.

Good post. MA liked a bit of bullshit but Ross Wilson gets the job done.

I swear a poster put on here the other day

“Jordan Campbell of the athletic has said Rangers will need to pay a development fee”

Must be going mental, because you are right the article does say what you suggested.
I’m sure it’s been changed. I read it earlier in the week and it mentioned a development fee.

I don't think you are too far out there. Hastie, at Motherwell, was in a similar position. We apparently settled amicably on a fee of circa £350k to get him in early. I suspect it would take similar, or perhaps a wee nudge up to £400K, to get Wright. He's gonna cost us in the £300k-£400k bracket in any case. We could wait to the Summer and let it go to a Tribunal but both sides then run the risk that the Tribunal will 'do them over' and, generally, prefer at settlement.

Can recall Dundee Utd being shocked that they were told to pay us £250k by the Tribunal for Charlie Telfer, especially as he was nowhere near 1st team material.

As you say perhaps best if both clubs reach an amicable agreement on the fee - IMHO a little surprised we are not just swapping Wright for McCrorie.

PS had to edit above, so many spelling errors and the lads name is Charlie, not Craig as I originally said.

Last edited:
Can recall Dundee Utd being shocked that they were told to pay us £250k for Craig Telfer, especially as was nowhere near 1st team material.

As you say perhaps best if both clubs reach an amicable agreement on the fee - IMHO a little surprised we are nit just swapping Wright for McCrorie.
This seems the sensible option. I'm sure Gerrard said the financial people are working away in the background on this one so it's maybe not that simple?

They're bitter as f*ck, it's actually funny. This guy is winding them up as well:

image.png

B-D
Weren't Aberdeen and Edinburgh the staunchest places as well in the referendum? Must hurt then even more.

Back