Scott Wright

Let's save time and effort and say the w hole team,manager,coaching staff,ticket office,tea lady,union bears,subway loyal and anyone connected to the Club are crap,everybody happy now.

Some will some won't. Jordan Jones is a really good example of one that could have developed but didn't. Barker another. Jack one that did, Kamara, Barasic etc etc. What is for sure is you cant tell after a few months. We had hoards of posters wanting Barasic freed after half a season. They have ripped into Lundstram, then last week after a decent game he is now fine.

We have posters on here that just don't understand football, just watch the goals. Wright needs a bit of time, to early to say yet if he will make it with us or not.
That's a fair appraisal; that said, I have my doubts about Wright. I hope he proves your right though.

Everything good we done yesterday seemed to involve Wright. His ball to Aribo which resulted in Roofe's sitter was excellent.

He was getting the ball on the half turn and running at their defence over and over again, his interplay as well was good. It looked to me like we fell out the game a fair bit once Wright did.

Good squad filler.

Home grown, cheap, play either side.

He’s what a squad player should look like. If I was Kai Kennedy, I’d be aiming to steal his place in a season or two.

The gloss has worn off a bit, a couple of games in the dugout may help to get him down to earth. He is a good player, sometimes a wee look backwards at your performances can get you back on track.

Like a lot of the second choice players, they’ll need more time.

Some will see it as a strength, some as a weakness, but with Gerrard’s core of ‘undroppables’, players like Wright are unlikely to get a decent run until sales or injuries occur.
P
Wow !

Reading some of these post i actually wonder if people actually "watch" our games ??

Wright offered the ONLY movement in our team, he came short, he went long, he made runs off the ball that as usual were pointless as we had decided to make yet another negative safe pass rather than gamble.

Numerous times it was Wright that made the chance for others to waste

Stupid substitution that achieved nothing positive.
Didnt see yesterday’s match but so far in his short rangers career, for me, he’s the most direct player in the squad (although Sakala may soon overtake that, as he seems a similar player). As soon as he gets the ball, he seems to turn, get the head down, and sprint full speed goalward, far as I’ve noticed so far (something I wish all the midfielders and forwards would do more of). Was he different yesterday? Taking quite a slagging on FF since yesterday!

He looks a bit out of his depth in Europe but then again, he's never played at that level before and I half expected him to be. He either takes that step up this season or next, or doesn't. We knew what we were getting when we signed him. I don't know what kind of turnaround people were expecting from him inside 9 months. He's improved physically but he needs to start improving technically.

It's all about what we can shape him into in the next 6-12 months. He's not a patch on Kent but he's an improvement on Barker and Jones. He's 24 years old, a while away from his prime and he's got scope to improve. Were people seriously pinning their hopes on Scott Wright at the start of the season? I sure wasn't.

Section of our support have over hyped the boy to an extent. Which happens with new players, he made a good initial impression last season. But he never struck me as someone we could rely upon to be a match winner in the following season. Maybe next season. A bit of patience required. He either takes the chance develop into a first team player or he remains an impact/squad player.

I shouldn't be surprised though, we had similar threads about Hagi last season and he was one of our better players last season. Yet we had people saying we should sell him this summer. Now he's the messiah who is going to get our season 'back on track'. No middle ground at all on here atm.

A bad result gets the pitchforks out, the name in the opening post be it Wright Simpson or Lundstram sort of tells you that it is a slating of whoevers name is there, then the pile on.

Ryan Kent 9 games 4 assists in 725 mins of football.
Scott Wright 8 games 2 goals in 446 mins of football.

Kent bought for millions Wright came in for peanuts but aye he's the one not performing.
Yes, we know Kent has been worse than useless this season. What’s your point?

That's a fair appraisal; that said, I have my doubts about Wright. I hope he proves your right though.
I don’t know if he is good enough to hold a place in the squad if not. That is the whole point we shouldn’t rush to judgement either way. As fans we either berate or over inflate performances, either way we place pressure on players they don’t need.

I hope he makes it with us. He has some lovely touches. His defending needs work, gives away unnecessary fouls. But that will come in time.

I don’t know if he is good enough to hold a place in the squad if not. That is the whole point we shouldn’t rush to judgement either way. As fans we either berate or over inflate performances, either way we place pressure on players they don’t need.

I hope he makes it with us. He has some lovely touches. His defending needs work, gives away unnecessary fouls. But that will come in time.
Hopefully he rises to the level needed in Europe, which hasn't really done. I agree with much of your description his qualities, but it appears he lacks the subtleties that would make him a more nuanced player; hopefully makes the next level.

The gloss has worn off a bit, a couple of games in the dugout may help to get him down to earth. He is a good player, sometimes a wee look backwards at your performances can get you back on track.
Yeah, I think this as well, was great when he came in, team were winning every week, league was pretty much in the bag.

He's now looking like the squad player level, his impact on Thursday was poor where he got involved in all the wrong things giving away free kicks running about chasing shadows. Sunday wasn't much better, did very little with the ball and was generally marked out the game.

I still think he has a bit of potential but he needs to get back to basics and concentrate on what he is good at, beating a man and creating chances.

If Kent played the way he has so far this season he wouldn’t have been any better than Wright.

I would question that, I find tails of Kents demise pretty exaggerated personally.

Last week when he was to many "poor" he still was the one who won us the penalty, and I am by no means crediting the assist for the goal Tav scored, but Kent made the pass to a player in space and offered him the chance to shoot rather than making a run down a blind alley and trying to be a hero, which I found we done a lot on Sunday, it was just misplaced energy rather than football with purpose.

It is all about making smart decisions at the right time, Kent to me does that far, far, far more often than Wright. I can't fathom that many would think anything other than that to be honest.

Ryan Kent 9 games 4 assists in 725 mins of football.
Scott Wright 8 games 2 goals in 446 mins of football.

Kent bought for millions Wright came in for peanuts but aye he's the one not performing.

It sort of shows why people don't take stats that serious though.

Wright scored against Livvy and against Dunfermline, the minutes each of the players have played are removed, some of the minutes from Wright came against Dunfermline, a chunk of Kents minutes came against Celtic.

I would expect across a season Wright probably would score more than Kent, but the assists wouldn't be comparable and it would also likely be detrimental to the team as Kent is far more inclined to look up and pass it on to a team mate, Wright does a lot of work on his own and often seems to not notice what is going on around him.

Wright scored against Livvy and against Dunfermline, the minutes each of the players have played are removed, some of the minutes from Wright came against Dunfermline, a chunk of Kents minutes came against Celtic.

I would expect across a season Wright probably would score more than Kent, but the assists wouldn't be comparable and it would also likely be detrimental to the team as Kent is far more inclined to look up and pass it on to a team mate, Wright does a lot of work on his own and often seems to not notice what is going on around him.
You expect Wright to score more in a season than Kent? Wright has 14 goals in his career; Kent scored 13 alone last season.

You expect Wright to score more in a season than Kent? Wright has 14 goals in his career; Kent scored 13 alone last season.

If played often across a full season for us, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Wright scored more than Kent no, but I think his goal return would be more detrimental to the team than Kent scoring less.

I like him.

He was good in the first half on Sunday & like the rest of the team poor in the second half.

He might not play every week but I like what he brings to the squad.

Can tell there’s a few posters who’ve been absolutely desperate to jump into Wright, can’t you?

They’ve been on top of Ryan Kent all season.

Scott Wright needs to find consistency in his end product or he’ll become another Brandon Barker. Our manager trusted Barker in some big matches.

Love his attitude but he needs a wee bit more composure in the final third.

His chance literally 2 minutes into the game was a great opportunity to set the tone, took an OK first touch could have made it easier for himself if it was better, but could still have finished and put it over the bar.

We have an unquenchable thirst as fans to be the finished article in every position, winning the treble year in year out and competing in the champions league.

That’s fine because that’s what fans do, people with realism though will understand we’re in a great position considering our finances. Attacking and criticising our players unjustly isn’t helpful for anyone.

Trust the management to get it right more often than not, like they have done so far.

I feel it’s incredibly harsh to criticise Wright at this stage, he’s been a bright spark for us at times. As all wingers are, they are a bit inconsistent and he has ran out of steam in some games, but he’s a good member of our squad and clearly has the right attitude or he’d not be seeing the pitch at all under Gerrard.

I think Wright has great potential, but he does really lack a final product just now. Too often his shots are like a 10-year-olds with the amount of power in them. Counted about three or four that were essentially passes to Liam Kelly on Sunday.

Nowhere near the level of Ryan Kent or Ianis Hagi just yet, but he's a great asset for us to have and his movement is terrific at times.

Wright is the sort of player we need in our team to break down sides that sit deep. He has the ability to draw players in and beat them in tight spaces. It's just his final ball that lets him down at times.

We have an unquenchable thirst as fans to be the finished article in every position, winning the treble year in year out and competing in the champions league.

That’s fine because that’s what fans do, people with realism though will understand we’re in a great position considering our finances. Attacking and criticising our players unjustly isn’t helpful for anyone.

Trust the management to get it right more often than not, like they have done so far.

I feel it’s incredibly harsh to criticise Wright at this stage, he’s been a bright spark for us at times. As all wingers are, they are a bit inconsistent and he has ran out of steam in some games, but he’s a good member of our squad and clearly has the right attitude or he’d not be seeing the pitch at all under Gerrard.
Correct.

We also have a certain number of fans absolutely straining at the leash to jump into players at any opportunity, on a game for game basis.

He’s pretty decent, but probably not going to be good enough to be a main starter for us. An upgrade on Greg Stewart, Brandon Barker, Jordan Jones, etc

He’s pretty decent, but probably not going to be good enough to be a main starter for us
I could see this but if he is one of these types who is great to bring on when the opposition is tiring and can also start when required due to injuries / suspension then that is a valuable squad player.

I could see this but if he is one of these types who is great to bring on when the opposition is tiring and can also start when required due to injuries / suspension then that is a valuable squad player.
Yip I agree- a good support player rather than a ‘main man’. You need those guys as well 100%

A support with no patience and we wonder why Rangers have in the main always struggled to bring through new faces or youth.

I say this as someone who along with many others wanted gary stevens and mark hately to f**k.

After these 2 proved to me once and for all that I am clueless, then I have learned to be patient with players.

Let's face it, there's not many in our current squad who haven't been rubbished, who we were led to believe weren't good enough. Tav, Goldson, Hagi, kent to name but a few. Only takes one game to go from hero to zero. We're top of the league ffs.

Think genuinely we have missed our wingers this year in general. Alot of pressure being put on Scott Wright having guys like Kent, Roofe not firing on all cylinders. He is a good player but obviously not upto the standard of our starters, but i think he is a WIP.

Think genuinely we have missed our wingers this year in general. Alot of pressure being put on Scott Wright having guys like Kent, Roofe not firing on all cylinders. He is a good player but obviously not upto the standard of our starters, but i think he is a WIP.
Roofe gets away with some brutal performances at times.

Some of his chances missed at the weekend were terrible.

Scott Wright along with some others were excellent for 55-60 mins on Sunday. A lot of what we did in an excellent first half came through him. For some reason the whole team dropped off the pace.

Personally think Wright will only get better and will be an important player for us this season either starting or off the bench.

Actually think Wright has done enough to deserve a start ahead of Kent lately.

Sure what he does doesn't always come off, but of the two, he has more determination and work rate.

Felt sometimes management has made a mistake by sticking with Kent over Wright.

Honestly on here is unbelievable. Our whole team disappeared on Sunday. Yet we want to make Simpson and now Wright a scapegoat.

People need to calm down a bit and give us a few more weeks to get a consistent 11 and find some form.

He's only just starting his career with us, I very much like what I've seen so far.
Stop being sensible.

So far we've had 4 pages of largely subjective opinion, little of it fact-based, instead of the honest concession that we've seen far too little of him to make a balanced assessment.

Much better to just pitch in with a shaky but strongly held prejudice.

That's the FF modus operandi for many.

In your opinion of course.
But people do take stats seriously especially those in the game professionaly and at our club.

In your opinion of course.
But people do take stats seriously especially those in the game professionally and at our club.

Well aye of course it is in part my opinion, it is a forum that is massively opinion driven.

I am not denying they would take certain stats serious, just not the ones you have shown as they don't really evidence much.

You can surely see 90 minutes of football against Celtic is completely different to 90 minutes of football against Dunfermline?

Simply listing games minutes played without context, doubt many people in the game are using stats like that bud.

Well aye of course it is in part my opinion, it is a forum that is massively opinion driven.

I am not denying they would take certain stats serious, just not the ones you have shown as they don't really evidence much.

You can surely see 90 minutes of football is completely different to 90 minutes of football against Dunfermline?

Simply listing games minutes played without context, doubt many people in the game are using stats like that bud.
What they evidence is a player what has cost millions, played in most of our games so far this season and not produced numbers vs a player who has had a bit part so far, with a couple of starts and mostly bench appearances not produced numbers & cost next to nothing, yet he's the fall guy the frothing follow followers choose to blame for a shite result.

Place is mental.

What they evidence is a player what has cost millions, played in most of our games so far this season and not produced numbers vs a player who has had a bit part so far, with a couple of starts and mostly bench appearances not produced numbers & cost next to nothing, yet he's the fall guy the frothing follow followers choose to blame for a shite result.

The fck....

Back