Scott Wright

I don't think he's good enough as a first team regular I have been disappointed in him so far his best option for me is a second half substitute when opposition defenders are tired.

He's still young and has previously showed the potential and ability which is we signed him. He needs more time to prove he deserves to be in the squad nevermind the first team.

Was eye catchingly poor tonight but that was one game. Let's see how he gets on in the next few months.

Reminds me of that c#&t Macgeady when he first started playing for them. I used to think f#@k we are buggered with this guys speed and how impressive it looks to the eye- then you realise he over runs the ball far often, has no delivery, has little end product.

Not saying he is terrible but no more than a impact sub for me when teams are tired.

He was poor tonight but has had some good performances for us. A useful enough squad player and homegrown for Europe. He'll never be a regular in the starting eleven so I doubt he will make it with us in the longer term.
Bad day at the office for him, if he puts the toilet rims to the sword next week, all is forgiven.

Confidence is a massive thing for footballers and his isn’t in a good position just now but there’s a great player there. He needs to learn to take criticism that players get from us supporters every so often, when the crowd turned on him he started to try too hard forcing errors.

He did have a great attempt at goal when his shot was cleared off the line by the defender.

He has had so many chances this season and took none. Every time he starts he is pish. Off the bench he comes on and adds something but his Aberdeen skinny brother plays when he starts.

Impact sub at best I think.
In other words not good enough to play for Rangers.

Gamble signing long exposed as not working out.

Hes had multiple chances and way more than many players get, never once looking like he had what it takes to cut it consistently.

A good SPFL player for other clubs but the inability to really influence a game and crucially do this week in week out means he'll never make it at Rangers.

If you gathered all the threads on FF around whether hes good enough or not you could start a new board just for him.

Inexplicable really some Bears think and still think he might make it.

Very frustrating too watch ,great first touch then great pace to go past man his second touch is always to heavy and knocks it out of play most of time seen this on a number of occasions finshing is brutal aswell thought he would make it but looks like another jordan jones.

He is almost 25 and not some rookie youngster, should be doing a lot better than he is by now.

Some of his end product last night was really bad. Over hitting crosses, running the ball out of play and shooting way off target etc.

Last edited:
Very frustrating too watch ,great first touch then great pace to go past man his second touch is always to heavy and knocks it out of play most of time seen this on a number of occasions finshing is brutal aswell thought he would make it but looks like another jordan jones.
Jones for me questionable attitude but better player

Unfortunately for him, he’s not good enough to play for Rangers. Sometimes signings like him can be a hit, we only need to look how good Ryan Jack became for us when fit. Would rather see a youngster get a chance now.

I hate the term "squad player". Every player needs to be able and capable of contributing something.

For me, there were 1 or 2 players on the pitch this evening who don't have a long term future at Ibrox.

Wright is one. Itten is another.
Terrible night to judge both players, both had bad games, it happens, will happily judge them on another day, the whole team minus subs last night were very poor. Very strange night overall,

He’s very rarely impressed me when he’s started, sadly, As others have said, impact sub may be his best use. Need more goals, assists and presence.

Pretty much carbon copy of what fans were saying about Hutton for quite some time, then he became an outstanding player. People thought I was crazy supporting Hutton, but I have exactly the same confidence in Wright. The Livi player doesn't clear the ball off the line, we would be talking about him having a great game. He just needs a little click and a run.
It’s not going to happen for him. You are ignoring him running the ball out of play on at least two, possibly three occasions. That’s unforgivable for a professional footballer and worryingly enough it’s something has done in previous games.
We all want Rangers players to do well but sometimes you need to hold your hands up and say we got it wrong.

I had high hopes for him at the outset but he's now the epitome of the Shirt, badge and crowd expectation being too heavy for him. I will say in his favour that at least he's still looking to get the ball, not hiding like plenty others have done in the past. Maybe, just maybe he can play his way through it!!

Pretty much carbon copy of what fans were saying about Hutton for quite some time, then he became an outstanding player. People thought I was crazy supporting Hutton, but I have exactly the same confidence in Wright. The Livi player doesn't clear the ball off the line, we would be talking about him having a great game. He just needs a little click and a run.

Alan Hutton was playing EPL football and an international regular at 23.

Scott Wright is 24 and is an attacking player who has yet to score more than 3 league goals in a season as things stand.

He had a rough night but no sense in writing him off yet.
This exactly. There is talent in there, is he good enough to consistently show it for a period of games, I'm not sure but writing him off after 1 garbage performance is harsh. There isn't a player in that team who hasn't had a shocker at some stage of their Rangers career.

When you're buying players from Huddersfield and Aberdeen this is what you get, usually.

Wright and Bacuna are never Rangers players in a million years, Wright last night was make the eyes bleed bad. Horrific.

We got a golden nugget in Aribo from Charlton but more often than not these transfers don't work.
Difference with Aribo is that he was in demand and we were fortunate to get him.

I don't remember anything about Wright from his Aberdeen days, whereas even Jones got noticed at Killie.

Bacuna was a punt and I don't think he is even considered if we had qualified for the CL. But a guy who can't get a game for Huddersfield probably isn't going to pull up trees at Ibrox.

The boy is rapido but his game is lacking just one thing, ability.

I don't think he is a total right off tbf. Handy as a sub against tired legs or if we are really under the cosh he is a guy who can move the ball up the park quickly and take the pressure off.

Just a shame once he gets the ball up the park he rarely has the skill or composure, not sure what one it is he is missing, to do what he wants with the ball.

GVB and his men are playing him so maybe they think there is something there they can use, hope they are correct.

Honestly think he’s worse than the likes of jones, he’s never going to make it with us and none of his spells at other clubs suggested so either he’s doing the exact same as he done at Aberdeen, dundee etc

Almost scored but apart from that he was dreadful.

Doesn't do much when he starts a game and has more impact coming off the bench

This exactly. There is talent in there, is he good enough to consistently show it for a period of games, I'm not sure but writing him off after 1 garbage performance is harsh. There isn't a player in that team who hasn't had a shocker at some stage of their Rangers career.
it's not writing him off after one performance, it's the culmination of a number of games where he has delivered virtually nothing, capped off by an appalling performance last night that was nearly a contributing factor to us losing points.

People's reaction is because it's clear If we're relying on guys like Wright and Itten on the run in, we ain't winning the league.

Has Ross Wilson signed any quality players?

I know he's been around for a couple of years but I can only remember the last couple of windows plus this one.

Terrible memory.

Very frustrating, its ok having pace but the club highlighted that his "numbers" needed to be worked on, it just doesn't feel like he is making the necessary leap forward that he needs to. He didn't hide tonight he kept at it, but he had a shocker. He is an impact player and for that reason can help as a sub, but as a starting 11, every chance he has taken seems to be a chance missed.

I had high hopes for him when he signed and some of his sub appearances were eye catching.

I was a bit of a fan boy but as a starter he's just not doing it. Was dreadful tonight. Anonymous in the first half pretty much.

Sadly looks like the "worth a punt" cycle continues and we're not any further forward with finding true gems. He's clearly a useful player but the fact he hasn't even been capped by Scotland and wasn't necessarily a starter for Aberdeen says a lot. Decent wee player, but I agree with most of the sentiment here - probably not good enough.

Very frustrating player for me.

There was a moment last night where instead of laying it off to 2 in the penalty box he crossed it over instead. Needs to work on his decision making.

Not good enough.

Loads of pace but no composure.

Last night was his worst showing by some distance.. on a night where we needed him to step up.

He'll be gone in the summer.. probably on loan somewhere.

Inconsistent impact player. He never was I’d will be anymore. Which makes it all the more bizarre why after nearly two full transfer windows we still haven’t bought a RW.

I had high hopes for him when he signed and some of his sub appearances were eye catching.

I was a bit of a fan boy but as a starter he's just not doing it. Was dreadful tonight. Anonymous in the first half pretty much.

Wright was unlucky with a run and strike that was cleared off the line.
While I agree that he's not good enough, I reckon if that goes in then people are taking about him differently today.

I'm not trying to be part of the Scott Wright pile-on but can someone post his updated stats as a few weeks ago I'm sure he had played in about 35-games for us and scored or assisted 3 (combined) - those figures just aren't befitting of a Rangers attacker in any era/any team - if the stats are true.
I think you'll find those stats could have been pulled from any of our midfield/wingers. Even kent's goal/assist stats are shocking.

He has some talent and would make a great squad player. Unfortunately he seems to allow the crowd to get to him and beats himself up. Many very good players have crumbled playing with us and our expectations.

I'd keep faith with the lad but as a regular starter I just don't see it.
I think that’s the issue, you can’t have 25 exceptionally talented players at Ibrox these days, but good squad players must be able to be trusted as a starter, and we cannot trust him and I don’t see that changing. I thought he would be a good signing, was impressed by his physique change but the product from 30 yards and in is really poor.

He has talent, but how many times has he been brought on as an impact sub and his only contributions are fouls?

Maybe Gerrard used to get him too wound up before games but there were multiple instance where he would commit a foul any time he got near the ball in the dying minutes of a game.

Not really sure what the best role for him is but so far it doesn’t seem to be working.

Back