Scottish clubs in Europe 'Win Percentage' compared to the rest

Beer Belly Loyal

We are taking a look at the 'win percentage' of countries represented by their clubs in CL/EL competition this season.

England, Spain, Germany and Italy due to UEFA rules have 7 teams each representing their country, Italy have since lost 1 (Torino).

France and Russia had 6 teams each. Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium, Greece, Austria, Turkey and Ukraine all had 5 clubs representing them.
Countries with 4 are many and include Scotland (Bheasts, Rangers, Aberdeen and Killie).

Let's start with England.
So far between them, the 7 clubs (incl. QR's) have played 34 games, winning 25 of them. That's a 'win percentage' of 73.53%, very impressive!
Spanish clubs have 22 wins from 34 games, a lower percentage of 64.71. Germany with 19 wins so far from 34 which equates to 55.88%.

Italy fare badly here, gaining just 11 victories from 30 games, that's a miserable 36.67% win rate.

France (38.46%) and Russia (26.92%) with 6 representatives each don't fare too well either.

We shall jump to the countries who had only 4 teams eligible for European competition.

Sweden, Croatia and Cyprus all have a 50% win rate, next in order of performance are Romania (46.43) and Serbia (42.86), followed by Norway (39.29), Bulgaria (38.46), Hungary (37.90) and Czech Republic right down there on 22.22%.

Ukraine with 5 clubs fair slightly better than Czech Republic (only just) with a 22.73% win rate.

The table below shows the win percentage of the Top 20 in European competition this season so far.

1. ENG (7) 73.53%
2. SCO (4) 65.63% (21 wins from 32 games)
3. SPA (7) 64.71%
4. POR (5) 56.25%
5. GER (7) 55.88%
6. NET (5) 52.74%
7. CRO (4) 50.00%
= SWE (4) 50.00%
= CYP (4) 50.00%
10. ROM (4) 46.43%
11. GRE (5) 46.15%
12. SER (4) 42.86%
13. NOR (4) 39.29%
= TUR (5) 39.29%
15. FRA (6) 38.46%
= BUL (4) 38.46%
17. HUN (4) 37.50%
18. ITA (7) 36.67%
= BEL (5) 36.67%
20. AUS (5) 35.00%

Season 2018/19 Scotland managed a decent 39.47% score.
The last time Scotland had 5 clubs in Europe (2013) the win percentage was 31.82.
During Rangers 'absentee' the worst win rate came in 2016 - 27.27%.

Amazing to think that if we can keep this fantastic stat up Scotland could have TWO clubs soon competing with the big clubs in the CL...well Rangers anyway, fuck them! ;)

I suppose it makes logical sense that as high pressing becomes a favoured and highly effective tactical strategy, teams from countries who traditionally focus on physical attributes (England, Scotland, Sweden) are performing above expectations. Makes sense when you think about it

That is quite unbelievable. Amazing feat, which we will get very little credit for.

We won't get much credit because it's largely off the back of beating diddy mobs in QR1 and QR2. Like all statistics it is useless without context. This stat is somewhat padded by 7 wins against St Joseph's, Progres Neiderkorn, Nomme Kalju and Sarajevo.

We won't get much credit because it's largely off the back of beating diddy mobs in QR1 and QR2. Like all statistics it is useless without context. This stat is somewhat padded by 7 wins against St Joseph's, Progres Neiderkorn, Nomme Kalju and Sarajevo.
Which is a result of Scotland sides performances in recent years.

Both us and the Scum have done very well in Europe so far this season. But Scottish football needs to take a look at itself. We have been in the doldrums for years as a club and are now competing, where as clubs like Aberdeen haven't progressed whatsoever on that stage.

However if you only take the group results ignoring qualifiers Scotland is on 62.5%. Statistics can be misleading :)

That is quite unbelievable. Amazing feat, which we will get very little credit for.
I keep on saying this:it’s us that has brought pride back to Scottish football it has %^*& all to with them.
When we were playing in the bottom tier playing all the small clubs they were in Europe embarrassing themselves and the country.

We drew with Progres

Can only play who you are up against, everyone is else the same. We are ranked at a level and doing well against sides similarly ranked and above.

I suppose it makes logical sense that as high pressing becomes a favoured and highly effective tactical strategy, teams from countries who traditionally focus on physical attributes (England, Scotland, Sweden) are performing above expectations. Makes sense when you think about it

It is definitely very successful at the moment when allied to decent technique...it is a variant of the 'physical game' but with less aimless hoofs. England have simply adapted their game to cut out the poor passing and panic under the press...so same as usual but with better technique. That power and pace will always be a huge threat.

If we get to 15th position does it not actually make it harder to keep in that position as we then get a 5th team to divide the ratio against, given the other 3 Scottish teams will likely be pish that drops our ration down meaning we can then lose the 15th place pretty quickly unless the top 2 do very well

If we get to 15th position does it not actually make it harder to keep in that position as we then get a 5th team to divide the ratio against, given the other 3 Scottish teams will likely be pish that drops our ration down meaning we can then lose the 15th place pretty quickly unless the top 2 do very well

Probably BUT we avoid the "European Shield" which is all very nice but a trophy for teams seeded less than 16 is not something our league should be anywhere near.

Spot on, I reckon.

Also, whilst the current stats are pleasing, I'd share the view from someone earlier in the thread that the game up here needs to take a look at itself and decide what it wants to be. We already tried really hard to shoot ourselves in the foot by bouncing our club down to the lowest tier. We're riddled with a collection of piss-poor community clubs like Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath who may have long histories but in the grand scheme of things just now contribute practically zero to the overall picture. We need a much leaner structure, with appropriate pyramids in place, but to currently share the resources, administration and voting structure across 42 "senior" clubs is absolutely fucking mental. As is two governing bodies. As is "not being able to afford" enough balls to have a bloody multi-ball system. As is plastic pitches in the top division (if Ross County can afford a decent grass pitch like we saw the other week, there's really no excuse).

That brings me to the so-called "senior" clubs:
Aberdeen - shite, perennial also-rans who believe they are better than they are. Unlikely to win much ever again unless they shift that chip on their shoulder and try to develop rather than be happy to be settling for 3rd-ish.
Hearts and Hibs - probably view themselves as big clubs. A third of the way through the season neither of them are even in the top half of the league.
The Dundee clubs - both playing down a division.
Killie, Motherwell - potential is there but despite occasional glimmers of hope more often than not resort to a style more suited to an American Football field.

Yes, the odds will always be stacked in the favour of ourselves and the puddle-drinkers, but my god that other lot really need to take a good look at themselves. Our decent performances in Europe are papering over the cracks of a league set up which is in terminal decline up here. Folk have their heads in the sand.

Out with us and the poets the teams are basically minnows.

We have progressed at an alarming rate which will have a good effect for the efficiency.

Lets be honest having 2 Scottish teams in the CL always brings bigger exposure to the league.

It would be nice for just us and the poets in the EL.

Spot on, I reckon.

Also, whilst the current stats are pleasing, I'd share the view from someone earlier in the thread that the game up here needs to take a look at itself and decide what it wants to be. We already tried really hard to shoot ourselves in the foot by bouncing our club down to the lowest tier. We're riddled with a collection of piss-poor community clubs like Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath who may have long histories but in the grand scheme of things just now contribute practically zero to the overall picture. We need a much leaner structure, with appropriate pyramids in place, but to currently share the resources, administration and voting structure across 42 "senior" clubs is absolutely fucking mental. As is two governing bodies. As is "not being able to afford" enough balls to have a bloody multi-ball system. As is plastic pitches in the top division (if Ross County can afford a decent grass pitch like we saw the other week, there's really no excuse).

That brings me to the so-called "senior" clubs:
Aberdeen - shite, perennial also-rans who believe they are better than they are. Unlikely to win much ever again unless they shift that chip on their shoulder and try to develop rather than be happy to be settling for 3rd-ish.
Hearts and Hibs - probably view themselves as big clubs. A third of the way through the season neither of them are even in the top half of the league.
The Dundee clubs - both playing down a division.
Killie, Motherwell - potential is there but despite occasional glimmers of hope more often than not resort to a style more suited to an American Football field.

Yes, the odds will always be stacked in the favour of ourselves and the puddle-drinkers, but my god that other lot really need to take a good look at themselves. Our decent performances in Europe are papering over the cracks of a league set up which is in terminal decline up here. Folk have their heads in the sand.

There should be teams that malgimate into 1 team for the benefit of the game.

I'll start by suggesting St Morton. They would have a decent family base if the support continued to follow them.

If the edinburgh teams merged into one they would have 20k at each game and challenging us and the poets.

To consider where we have come from and that now we are making such an impression in Europe is incredible. SG is a miracle worker.

Both us and the Scum have done very well in Europe so far this season. But Scottish football needs to take a look at itself. We have been in the doldrums for years as a club and are now competing, where as clubs like Aberdeen haven't progressed whatsoever on that stage.
Both Rangers and Celtic are focussing on Europe as much as domestic competitions when it comes to training and squads etc. The rest of the league are only focused on trying to beat the OF by using brute strength rather than any actual tactical knowhow. As long as the rest of Scotland is solely focused on their hatred of Rangers, they will never succeed in Europe.

There should be teams that malgimate into 1 team for the benefit of the game.

I'll start by suggesting St Morton. They would have a decent family base if the support continued to follow them.

If the edinburgh teams merged into one they would have 20k at each game and challenging us and the poets.
I genuinely laughed at St Morton

You’re quite right though. Lots of these teams should merge as part of a root and branch restructuring of the game. The Dundee teams and the Edinburgh teams should both merge too.

Outwith us and the scum there is no quality at all.

Agreed. Recent comments about how our European efforts say a lot for Scottish football (e.g. Commons on BBC article last week) are irritating the hell out of me. We (and the bheasts, it has to be admitted) are doing well DESPITE Scottish football.

Its like these claims about Scottish football being one of the best-supported in Europe for the size of population, as if the rest of the league were somehow contributing an important percentage.

I genuinely laughed at St Morton

You’re quite right though. Lots of these teams should merge as part of a root and branch restructuring of the game. The Dundee teams and the Edinburgh teams should both merge too.

It would provide a stronger and more United renfrewshire. I dont know why it wouldn't be a great idea.

They could play at Bishopton which would be fair on both the crappy supporrers of greenock and paisley team.

Back