Scottish FA set to ban children under the age of 12 from heading in training

This will eventually lead to a ban in the pro game- the drip effect. U12 , then U16 then 21s then pro.
Scenario
Corner kick - headin is banned.
How do you set up to take it, how do you defend it?

I’m for it but there is zero scientific evidence that just banning it till twelve alleviates the problem. What’s to stop dementia developing in the subsequent years when you allowed to head the hall. For that reason I’m not sure if this measure addresses the problem in any meaningful way. They will have no data that has kids being bannned up to twelve reduces the incidence when they get older.

So I’ve been involved in kids football and my youngest is 10 and plays for a local team.
I have probably seen him head the ball 5 or 6 times in the past 3 years because all the rules are set so long balls or high balls aren’t played ie keeper gets a free pass out and it’s kick ins but they need to be played short

Heading the ball is a skill but it has to be taught properly. So you need to meet the ball and put your neck into it but it’s not coached properly to youngsters. The syfa should be helping kids and coaches to learn this rather than ban altogether.

I don’t think these studies reflect modern day either. I doubt anyone got dementia heading a size 4 ball at toryglen in an u11’s match. The balls we use now are completely different from anything that was used 20 or more years ago. I’ve not seen a mouldmaster since I played school football so who are these studies based on

That's so wrong as to be dangerous. How strong your neck is nothing to do with brain injuries.

Have they not tried this with Alfredo as every time he jumps with a defender to win a header it seems the referee awards a foul against him. ;)

I wonder if Murdo Mcleod is still feeling the dinger he took v Brazil ?

Swapped places in the wall with McCoist just before it. Dunga or Branco? Don't want to cheat, trying to rely on what's left of my memory from heading all those waterlogged bladders. :D

They were light though. Ok they stung like a bastard and ripped your hair out when you headed them wrongly but they had no weight to them.
Aye right mate they were solid,I aye remember it being 50/50 whether folk even went for it and right hard bastards shirking out of headers I also remember P.E 1st period and having a banging sore head for the rest of the day.

If this happens, I don't see how boxing can possibly continue.
It does, and it might not. What they are finding in American Football is that it's not the major blows, it's the constant small hits which do the damage over time.

The game of American Football is one law suit away from collapsing. As soon as a high school (or district) is sued, the whole support and feeder system of college and the NFL will collapse.

Aye right mate they were solid,I aye remember it being 50/50 whether folk even went for it and right hard bastards shirking out of headers I also remember P.E 1st period and having a banging sore head for the rest of the day.
It's a rubber ball. As I said, they stung you but they never had the weight to do any lasting damage from heading them in my opinion. A leather mitre multiplex when wet had real weight to it and was harder on the head, again just my opinion.

It's a rubber ball. As I said, they stung you but they never had the weight to do any lasting damage from heading them in my opinion. A leather mitre multiplex when wet had real weight to it and was harder on the head, again just my opinion.
Totally agree on the leather balls but it was usually a case of a half hearted header wi your eyes shut or let it hit the red ash and try and control it both terrifying prospects when you were 10.
The sting lasted for ages and wherever it connected looked like it had been touched by the sun. :D

You could absolutely ping a mouldmaster, a leather ball was much heavier.
Used to love using the volleyballs in PE for football.

It's ok to molest young children at a football club but you're banned from heading a football...
Now that makes sense!!!

Very few folk would've got in the road of a ping wi a mouldmaster too many staved and buckled fingers lol everybody was like Van Basten wi a volleyball. :D

Very few folk would've got in the road of a ping wi a mouldmaster too many staved and buckled fingers lol everybody was like Van Basten wi a volleyball. :D
I know somebody that could hit 40 yard toebash free kicks with mouldmasters, swerving all ways into the top corner every time. He was deadly with them.

Sounds sensible and probably the thin end of the wedge before it gets banned up to u16 level too.

Its change which some won't like but not sure how they can go all the way with it given the amount of heading in the senior game, especially on the hammer throwing spfl.

When a mouldmaster had been kicked about the street long enough to become baldy it was basically a 20p windblower out the corner shop.

I know somebody that could hit 40 yard toebash free kicks with mouldmasters, swerving all ways into the top corner every time. He was deadly with them.
You could get initial bend on them but after that it was either Roberto Carlos like or it went out for a shy, after clearing a path of frozen weans. I always remember trying to stay the %^*& out the wall at free kicks "incase the ball breaks" and the fear on folks faces at the run up. :D

You could get initial bend on them but after that it was either Roberto Carlos like or it went out for a shy, after clearing a path of frozen weans. I always remember trying to stay the %^*& out the wall at free kicks "incase the ball breaks" and the fear on folks faces at the run up. :D
The inside of the thigh was the killer with them. 10 o'clock on a Saturday morning for the BB.

It seriously does come down to neck strength when you used to heeder one of they baby's.

This will eventually lead to a ban in the pro game- the drip effect. U12 , then U16 then 21s then pro.
Scenario
Corner kick - headin is banned.
How do you set up to take it, how do you defend it?
I guess it would to a change in rules whereby corners must be delivered at no more than shoulder height. Anything the ref perceives to be above shoulder height will be a 'foul corner'.

This wont have much impact on the age levels its aimed at. The coaches will just instruct the lads to pass the ball on the ground which is no bad thing anyway. There will be a time though where young players have to head the ball as they get older and it's all part of, for the talented players who might make it, learning how to play football at a higher level.

It's called football after all........Route one football though, in Scotland, goodness the majority will be running about like headless chickens for a good few years yet......

How's about the SFA doing something about banning Septic from anything to do with under 12's.

i disagree with this so much, heading a ball was one of my favourite things to do. If children are prepared to take this so called risk why are people trying to dictate ?. My little brother is 8 and as far as i'm aware nobody in our family has any issue with him heading a ball im 21 genuinely appalled at this. In all fairness at training there really isn't much headering but still creating such a regulation is ridiculous
Genuinely mental.

Alot/more of future dementia and Alzheimer's could be prevented if we stopped U12s eating shite processed foods and staring at screens 24/7.

(I agree with the not heading the ball also)

If children are prepared to take this so called risk why are people trying to dictate ?
It's a well known fact that children are idiots. That's why we have to educate them. Left to their own devices they'd starve to death within hours of being born. Even if they did survive that, they'd probably end up sticking their tiny retarded fingers into power sockets or drinking bleach.

Don’t agree with this at all. Every sport has an element of risk, and nobody is forcing anyone to play football. Do we ban boxing because you get punched ? Ban Rugby tackles ? Ban F1 because there a chance you crash ? Ban skiing because you might break a leg. Where does it stop. Unfortunately this is where we are heading as a society , wanting everything wrapped in cotton wool. If there’s one positive it would be to get the back on the deck , but heading is still a vital part of the game ( Katic v them for example ). And not learning how to do it properly until you’re 13 will have an effect on your overall performance as a player.
Also there is actually no evidence that this will help at all , nor is there direct evidence that it’s the headering thee ball thats causing issues.

Surely any data they have used to come to these conclusions is invalid as football design & weight has changed so much in the last 20 years?
The actual weight of the football hasn’t apparently changed , I was surprised by this aswell , big bit about it on Superscoreboard earlier.

While applaud them for actually trying to be proactive I’m not entirely sure how much difference it will make.

Do under 12s head the ball that much now? I’m not so sure. Also, a lot could be to do with the old waterlogged balls, I can fully see why players of a certain generation would cause damage heading those for 20 years.

However I guess something has to be done, dementia is a horrible disease, I recall a recent study showing that ex footballers of any level have double the risk of not only dementia but any brain type illness, such as MND. There were no absolute conclusions as to the cause but constant heading can’t help.

Curious as to why if this is indeed the case why women outnumber men in dementia cases 2 to 1?

Back