Scottish Football Is Putrid

Fondablondes

So Scottish football is not really about football, it's about oneupmanship, sectarianism, unbalanced reporting, lies, monetary gain and obvious cheating.
I personally don't subscribe to religion and feel it has no place in sport, however it seems that religion plays a huge part in Rangers and Celtic adversity.
Is there really any other league in the world that is so obsessed with non footballing matters than Scotland?

It’s not just football. It’s the country in general. The faux outrage is exactly that. The media thrive on this, as it sells newspapers. The political class thrive on this, as it justifies some of their existence.

Real sectarianism is a thing of the past in this country. There were times when people wouldn’t get jobs due to their schooling. That doesn’t happen nowadays. For those in the media to use this to their advantage, makes a mockery of the strides forward that have been taken. I prefer that we sing songs about Rangers, that’s just my view. The problem is that the media are as culpable as anyone, and until they report and condemn in an even manner, those that still want to sing these songs will remain entrenched with the line that “while they can sing what they want, so can we”. It’s understandable, whilst I disagree that it’s the best way forward. It’s a siege mentality that is stoked by partisan commentators and politicians, that use it to get their names in the headlines.

Depressing thing is that I don't think I've ever heard a Scottish Pundit talk about the shape of a side, tactical preferences, pressing and transitions, passing statistics, philosophies of individual sides and youth development,

Incredible considering almost every side in the Scottish top flight having its own distinguished footballing style.

Although it becomes less surprising when you realize the main people who talk about Scottish football are a bunch of former tabloid hacks, a Irish regional rugby correspondent, He-Man's mortal enemy and failed trialists.

Since 2012 scottish football has scraped the bottom of the barrel, what with the hatred and jealousy, but, l thought, through naivety, that our game would pick up again with us going back up through the leagues, but, its had the opposite effect for me.

Its become far worse, with both politics and media running with their constant one sided agenda, and we all know what that is, constant drip fed negativity towards both our club and support.

The last couple of weeks l've noticed that l'm more bitter and, quite frankly pissed off with it all now, that going to the football is becoming a chore, of which that shouldn't be.

Last edited:
It’s not just football. It’s the country in general. The faux outrage is exactly that. The media thrive on this, as it sells newspapers. The political class thrive on this, as it justifies some of their existence.

Real sectarianism is a thing of the past in this country. There were times when people wouldn’t get jobs due to their schooling. That doesn’t happen nowadays. For those in the media to use this to their advantage, makes a mockery of the strides forward that have been taken. I prefer that we sing songs about Rangers, that’s just my view. The problem is that the media are as culpable as anyone, and until they report and condemn in an even manner, those that still want to sing these songs will remain entrenched with the line that “while they can sing what they want, so can we”. It’s understandable, whilst I disagree that it’s the best way forward. It’s a siege mentality that is stoked by partisan commentators and politicians, that use it to get their names in the headlines.
Well not getting jobs due to religion still exists in the Apartheid Schools System.

I’m getting to sick to death of the furore that follows any positive result Rangers.

You just have look back at every positive result Rangers have had in the since the end of December and a storm negative press ensues.

It’s getting all too predictable. There seems to be a collective hatred or at least an agenda to paint Rangers in a bad light at every turn.

It's really down to one team and one religion. The stench of Catholicism in modern society reeks. They clearly cannot let go, their obsessive aim to have religion influence all aspects of modern life even in the face of it moving on such as in Scottish football.
Look at Rangers, more catholic players than ever, worshiped by the fans, Catholic managers and captains but still we are vilified as having never moved forward,
I honestly believe no matter what we do will never be enough. We are guilty of protesting against catholicism and it will never be forgiven.
I am beginning to think fluck it...........lets go full on with the BB and our full repertoire as how can it get any worse.

So Scottish football is not really about football, it's about oneupmanship, sectarianism, unbalanced reporting, lies, monetary gain and obvious cheating.
I personally don't subscribe to religion and feel it has no place in sport, however it seems that religion plays a huge part in Rangers and Celtic adversity.
Is there really any other league in the world that is so obsessed with non footballing matters than Scotland?

Sadly, the game is now fecked. This will NEVER go away. Too many people (parasites) make their living through all of the hatred and agenda driven garbage. They should be ashamed, but they won't.

Years ago we had other problems and the game was far from perfect, but if you weren't at the game, we got our info from the more or less neutral report in the paper (the Record was the paper of choice for most then) and the referee made the decisions (no Compliance Officer), good or bad.

Now? I wouldn't buy the Record for a penny and social media has created an exponential amount of hatred, on a scale I never thought possible. For all the good that social media does, for decent people, in the right hands, I really wish I could turn the clock back to such simpler days, when football wasn't packed 24/7 with brainless 'supporters' with a keyboard. Brainless media men too.

Football as I knew it is dead and that saddens me greatly.

it has no place in a rational 21st century society full stop

Depressing thing is that I don't think I've ever heard a Scottish Pundit talk about the shape of a side, tactical preferences, pressing and transitions, passing statistics, philosophies of individual sides and youth development,

Incredible considering almost every side in the Scottish top flight having its own distinguished footballing style.

Although it becomes less surprising when you realize the main people who talk about Scottish football are a bunch of former tabloid hacks, a Irish regional rugby correspondent, He-Man's mortal enemy and failed trialists.

Good point Mr M.

I go to Germany with my work a lot & although I don’t understand the language much at all, the TV football programmes are all about football, tactics, etc.

This country is a bigoted sham, but because it’s against my club, I can’t be the person I would like to be.

The political situation in Scotland at the moment certainly plays a big part in the constant attacks on both our great club and ourselves. The PC generation as well as the SNP have totally and utterly ruined our country. They lost the independence referendum and the attacks on ourselves started to gather pace. Since Mr King took charge, our club has began to stabal

Since Mr King took charge, our club has began to get stronger and now they see us as a threat once again. The ballot box should be the start of any change. NS

It's not just the football, it's the whole country. SNP bastards have ruined it, if I could I would honestly leave this shitehole behind

The rivalry is based on an extreme tribalism which is traditionally based on religion.
That is a fact.
That won't change.
However, we as a support can change aspects of the rivalry and bring it into the modern era.
Indeed we have a duty to do this.

I'm sick of the whole thing - stripping titles, enforced demotion, illegal transfer bans, minutes silence v minutes applause, sectarian singing, political singing, poppies, Palestinian flags, Bobby Sands, referee strikes, calls for foreign referees, calls for referees to announce the team they support, BBC claim they are banned, fanzone denied, TV pundits, ex-players talking crap, politics, and on and on and on.

I wonder sometimes if its worth going now.

Yet another game on Wednesday. Left the ground happy with the result, and thoroughly pissed off with the singing at the end. I knew the singing would be an issue. Then the sending off and penalty claim were blown out of proportion, and football just became a side issue.

Is it really worth going now ?

Last edited:
Since 2012 scottish football has scraped the bottom of the barrel, what with the hatred and jealousy, but, l thought, through naivety, that our game would pick up again with us going back up through the leagues, but, its had the opposite effect for me.

Its become far worse, with both politics and media running with their constant one sided agenda, and we all know what that is, constant drip fed negativity towards both our club and support.

The last couple of weeks l've noticed that l'm more bitter and, quite frankly pissed of with it all now, that going to the football is becoming a chore, of which that shouldn't be.

Im the same. Returning to the UK soon and trying to convince the wife that we should sell our house in Scotland and move down south. I dont think I could handle the hate directed towards all things PUL and Rangers.

I'm sick of the whole thing - stripping titles, enforced demotion, illegal transfer bans, minutes silence v minutes applause, sectarian singing, political singing, poppies, Palestinian flags, Bobby Sands, referee strikes, calls for foreign referees, calls for referees to announce the team they support, BBC claim they are banned, fanzone denied, TV pundits, ex-players talking crap, politics, and on and on and on.

I wonder sometimes if its worth going now.

Yet another game on Wednesday. Left the grond happy with the result, and thoroughly pissed off with the singing at the end. I knew the singing would be an issue. Then the sending off and penalty claim were blown out of proportion, and football just became a side issue.

Is it really worth going now ?

Its pretty awful.

The rivalry is based on an extreme tribalism which is traditionally based on religion.
That is a fact.
That won't change.
However, we as a support can change aspects of the rivalry and bring it into the modern era.
Indeed we have a duty to do this.

The question is how do we get everyone on board?

Scottish football is a vehicle to promote 19th Century Terroristism by a section of society with an chip on their shoulder and an inferiority complex fuelled by paranoia that everyone is out to cheat them.

As it stands they have managed to manoeuvre themselves into positions of influence in Scottish football and the game is run for the benefit of one team.

Even worse you now have an SNP government happy to aid and abet them.

I live in Australia and I find it startling watching the bitterness in Scottish Football from afar. Things aren't like that here.

One year out of Scotland and Scottish Football and I can see clear as day how bitter and rotten it is. It truly is a poisonous environment.

Someone said on here a while ago that “Scottish football has hated itself to death” and it totally hit the nail on the head.

There’s no enjoyment in Scottish football.

It's not just about football , it's the country in general. I'll be perfectly frank, if it wasn't for family and the opportunity to watch the Rangers, I wouldn't set foot in the country ever again.

I live in Australia and I find it startling watching the bitterness in Scottish Football from afar. Things aren't like that here.
Like you, I don't live in Scotland (south of England) but I do visit often and did fortnightly from Nov to Jan when my auld dear was ill.

My take? It isn't just Scottish football that is bitter but Scotland as a whole. It's not just football divisions but divisions over politics and schooling. Add 'Brexit' in to the mix and it's a total clusterfuck.

My position is clear:
Rangers fan: Hated
Tory: Hated
Unionist: Hated
Supporter of non-religious schools: Hated
Monarchist: Hated
Avowedly Protestant: Hated

I am also Pro EU (in a modified form) so that does get a bit of traction with a few but the landscape is clear: Scotland is being overrun by small-minded, xenophobic, empty-headed Yesser-voting, Republican (in both senses of the word) scum and it grieves me.

Until RC Schools are abolished in Scotland, this country will always evolve around religion

Not sure that’s correct. There are Church Of England schools and RC schools in England and there is no religious divide. I have two teenagers and I don’t think they have ever used the words Protestant or Catholic.

The worst thing for me is those involved in sectarianism are those least likely to be religious.

c
Not sure that’s correct. There are Church Of England schools and RC schools in England and there is no religious divide. I have two teenagers and I don’t think they have ever used the words Protestant or Catholic.

The worst thing for me is those involved in sectarianism are those least likely to be religious.

I agree with this my two granddaughters go to a CoE school and religion and sectarianism doesn’t happen. My wife and I moved to England a year back and we don’t miss Scotland.

Segregation in education did not create sectarianism in Scotland but it has embedded it and makes it much more difficult to eradicate.

We often hear comparisons with England, although the more obvious analogy is with Ireland, particularly Northern Ireland. Most Roman Catholics in England view themselves in terms of being as English or British as the next person. We can debate the historical reasons for this difference between Scotland and England but it surely exists. There is no equivalent of Celtic FC in England.

For their own cynical ends, so-called 'progressive' politicians of the left or liberal-left in Scotland tolerate and support a form of apartheid. We face the consequences of what is in effect an early form of 'multiculturalism'. Ultimately, the outcome is that all blame for the failure of certain immigrant groups to assimilate is transferred to the indigenous working-class which has very little influence within politics, the media, academia or the legal system.

Until RC Schools are abolished in Scotland, this country will always evolve around religion

This 100%. It is the glaring issue no one wants to address yet it is unarguably the solution to the problem. You want one Scotland and an end to sectarianism? Here's your answer!

There really is no need for any further discussion.

The SNP have Ruined Scotland with there obsession for independence, they would literally allow anything to go if it got them a yes vote.
They had a duty to democracy and the people of Scotland to bring everyone back together after the independence vote in 2013 but instead they have driven people further apart and allowed the country to become a hate filled sesspit where those who voted no can be vilified and called traitors.
We are the enemy of the state.

Well not getting jobs due to religion still exists in the Apartheid Schools System.
I'd say it does in the public sector also. GCC, HMRC and the BBC for starters. I'd love to see the stats for those employed by these organisations.

Back