Scottish media out the loop?

I used to love buying a weekend red top, or big sheet, reading all the sports news, I'd spend hours scouring, learning, reading. Not now, not done it in years. My only go to paper would be the Telegraph at the weekend, but again, only when I have time. Everything I need is a keyboard away, and FF.

The demise of the newspaper is something to be lamented for this bear.
Newspapers used to be fantastic. Since I could read, 1975, they were invaluable sources of information on all things Rangers. The Record, Herald and Evening Times were my usual fodder. Huge sports departments full of proper journalists, some giants. Guys served their time reporting for provincial papers (again sadly in decline in number and quality), only the very best became proper journalist with the big papers.
Big hitting journalists had the inside line at clubs. They flew on the team charter to UEFA games. They were knowledgeable about the game. They were good writers too. There was a sense of fairness. We had our guys, they had theirs.
Above all they were trustworthy.

Now, there are probably only about six football journalist that I would read. That's in Britain, not Glasgow, like before.

FFS, Davie Provan is now considered a jounalist. John Hartson? Even Barry Ferguson, I'm afraid.

When news went digital/24hr the papers all raced to the bottom. Sensationalism, conjecture, controversy and celebrity have replaced balance, reason, stoicism and ability.

I now hate papers. I'm glad they are soon to be obsolete. They've been shite for years, and only have themselves to blame.
I like the way I get my info now. Direct from Rangers, and here. Exactly the same way as our "national newspaper's " cheif sportswriter does.
Couldn’t agree more.
The only thing I would add, is in their race to the bottom, they regularly insult the intelligence of the very people they want to buy their paper.
It’s bizarre. Trolls like Sutton have debased the whole industry. Superficial, childish, tit for tat, low level drivel is everywhere.
Sensationalised headlines, bearing no resemblance to their own made up stories, are now standard fare.
Never ending clickbait online has picked up the baton and is running with it. That won’t last either, people are already abandoning it.

Not at all. They have sources at other clubs, agents, amongst players, administrators, financial advisors - so many ways they can get tip offs.
Why aren't they using them in recent times then? As they've not had an exclusive in a long time

I don't imagine they really care to be honest.

If there was a half decent journalist among them, the biggest story in world sport right now is sitting waiting for them.
I agree, yet with newspaper sales falling off a cliff and so called journalists being bagged on a daily basis, it beggars (no pun intended) belief that no-one is prepared to take advantage of this open goal.

I’m glad the club is snuffing them out and engaging with fan media like H&H

Fans on FF have had more insight into our targets and the club definitely keeping the lid on the majority of our transfer targets

I would 100% keep the Daily Rebel out of any future pressers. Glad the club are treating these bastards with the contempt they deserve

I would extend the ban to other outlets

The Sun too
Especially the Sun...

I sincerely hope that the club keep it this way. Soon the red tops will be making up fantasy stories on a par with brothers Grimm and poor old Ill Phil.
What do you mean soon? The crayon carrying scum have been doing it for ages. Your correct the club should keep them in the dark.

Newspapers used to be fantastic. Since I could read, 1975, they were invaluable sources of information on all things Rangers. The Record, Herald and Evening Times were my usual fodder. Huge sports departments full of proper journalists, some giants. Guys served their time reporting for provincial papers (again sadly in decline in number and quality), only the very best became proper journalist with the big papers.
Big hitting journalists had the inside line at clubs. They flew on the team charter to UEFA games. They were knowledgeable about the game. They were good writers too. There was a sense of fairness. We had our guys, they had theirs.

Now, there are probably only about six football journalist that I would read. That's in Britain, not Glasgow, like before.

FFS, Davie Provan is now considered a jounalist. John Hartson? Even Barry Ferguson, I'm afraid.

When news went digital/24hr the papers all raced to the bottom. Sensationalism, conjecture, controversy and celebrity have replaced balance, reason, stoicism and ability.

I now hate papers. I'm glad they are soon to be obsolete. They've been shite for years, and only have themselves to blame.
I like the way I get my info now. Direct from Rangers, and here. Exactly the same way as our "national newspaper's " cheif sportswriter does.

Back in the day clubs and journos would have a you scratch my back you scratch mine relationship where it was beneficial to both parties. It was not a case of a club controlling the narrative and having a journo in their pocket, it was just about playing the game fair and square off the park.

Let’s face it, it’s a long time since there was any real sports journalism in Scotland. Too many faux professional scribes have earned an easy living being handed info by the two clubs that dominate the nation’s attention.

Now we have shut the door on them, not one of them, as far as I can tell, knows how to cultivate contacts abroad or research the game in any depth to be able to provide any fresh information or interesting insight.

The new breed of fan media, people who genuinely take an interest and care about the subject, is leaving the lazy imposters increasingly irrelevant.

They brought this on themselves, but comfort themselves by blaming “the Internet”. %^*& them.

Most “journalists” on the online editions are young mentally challengeds straight out of a second rate college with second rate “mhedia” degrees who revel in posting anti-Rangers click bait articles. This seems to be encouraged by the editors who are probably mentally challengeds as well.

I completely agree with this.

In the late 60s, early 70s I had a commute of an hour to get to work. I bought the then Glasgow Herald for the news and the Daily Record for their sports coverage in the morning to read on the train and on the way home I bought the Evening Times. I have not bought any of these papers for many years and it is highly unlikely that I ever will.

It seems a strange business plan that aims to alienate the majority of their former readership to pander to a demographic who, to judge by their attempts at banners at Celtic games, are only semi literate. I can only assume that the management of these once respected titles allowed their bigotry to override sensible business practice. As a result of the pleasure I got from these papers many years ago I will feel a tinge of sadness at their inevitable demise but they chose the path they’re on so hell mend them.

I now get most of my information about the Rangers either directly from the club or from here.

Might have been mentioned aready however, papers rely on advertising and the less people that read papers, the less likeliehood that company A, B or C will get decent exposure.

Rangers and their sponsors get more exposure simply by driving traffic to their site = win win.

I think the leak may have been from Lovenkrands and to a lesser extent Vignal

Since Lovenkrands left theres not been much going through and when Vignal left im sure he did interviews in the papers
since they have both gone theres been nothing leaking through just journalists guessing

This should be the pre requisite in all media relations where the time wasters & paid up thickos are isolated .

Very noticeable. The media are no better connected now than the fan blogs. They spoke about Roofe, but only in the same way as I did on here - total speculation with no clue about what was happening.

The moles are gone which is a good thing however mentally challenged driven media regularly (and many times wildly) push the costs up on their own fire sale for the potential payment of that story that shall not be named.

Absolutely delighted to see 'ra mhedia' on the outside looking in. I have conducted my own personal boycott for years now. I don't buy, read, watch or listen to anything produced by 'mhedia'. Like many institutions, the mhedia has been ruined by an unhealthy infestation of mentally challengeds.

I don't imagine they really care to be honest.

If there was a half decent journalist among them, the biggest story in world sport right now is sitting waiting for them.

Agreed.

Scottish journalists used to investigate stories and break the news.

Now, they’re nothing more than mainly mentally challenged mouthpieces and opinion pieces.

They’re not “news” sources any more

Vast majority of sports journalism these days is clickbait garbage pulled from Twitter and the like padded out with cliche bingo. "Opinion pieces" are a shadow of what they used to be and offer no real insight usually.

If they offered any quality, they wouldn't be dying as quickly as they are as folk like us find alternatives. In their current format, it's good riddance from me

i think their methods are obsolete, especially with COVID. less networking, boozy functions. etc. Gossip passes on networks and those are cut off. less golf days, dinners etc. they might have the odd regular source, but those move on. i.e kenny miller

5ijHlM8.gif

Loving it. The fact the costs are all over the place from paper to paper shows how out of the loop they are.

That’s why whoever leaked from the Training Centre should be removed ASAP.

Leaks have been a problem in recent years and this current board has tightened up on that front so I expect them to deal with anyone who’s leaking information or photographs to the media vermin by booting them out the door. Let’s get serious and shut the filth out as much as possible, we don’t need the media and we don’t need rats working for Rangers either...weed them out!

I’m glad the club is snuffing them out and engaging with fan media like H&H

Fans on FF have had more insight into our targets and the club definitely keeping the lid on the majority of our transfer targets

I would 100% keep the Daily Rebel out of any future pressers. Glad the club are treating these bastards with the contempt they deserve

I would extend the ban to other outlets

The Sun too

Gavin Berry of the Record is regularly at them1

There is no such thing as the Scottish MSM anymore when it comes to sports journalism. These redundant, bitter and infested old institutions are now reaping what they sowed over many, many years.

While we changed our strategy to have fan and club driven media content, they fell in to the trap of their paymasters across the city and actually started believing the party line that we are not the biggest club in the country and that they would be ok without us because Peter said so.

I for one don't want to see them gone, I want as slow a death for them as possible so they can witness us starving them to death.

Ever since I was on jury duty years ago and read with my own eyes the absolute shite made up by both the two red tops in scotland, I have never even contemplated purchasing any news paper.
They are scum.
If it was the only thing in the trap to read I'd rather count the sheets on a bog roll.

If they get something as an exclusive now it suggests that it is more by luck than judgement - and long may it continue.

STV news there made no mention of our two signings today, must be raging and in the cream puff. :))
STV News this weather is for, “All of Scotland” instead of regional, to much sheep land in it, not even worth watching, don’t know what’s happened to Rahman, who was always favourable to us.

Long may it continue .... the backing of one team and one team only has came home to roost for these enablers... f them all ...

I also think we will see a few of them in court sooner than they think ... tick tock you utter low life.

Back