Scottish players who played abroad

Joe Baker was born in England as his family was based at Aldershot, I believe, to Scottish parents while his Dad was doing his National service. His brother Gerry was born in Scotland, Joe was an English international player but if it was these days he could have been selected for Scotland. The criteria for international selection was very strict at that time and to be selected to play for a country you had to have been born there. Scotland's loss was England's gain!:(

W.A.T.P.
He grew up in Motherwell and was apparently the first player capped for England without having played in the English League. When he left Torino he signed for Arsenal and was noted as having scored over 100 league goals in both Scotland and England.
His brother Gerry was capped for the USA.
Not sure why I felt the need to research this more after my initial post but clearly have too much time on my hands these days :D

Some ex Dundee ones

Mark Fotheringham - Germany
Steven Tweed - Germany, Japan
Chic Charnley - Sweden
Barry Smith - Iceland
Iain Anderson - France
Ray Stephen - Arsene Wengers first ever signing, from Dundee
Steven Robb - Thailand
Tosh Mckinlay - Switzerland
Jocky Scott and Gordon Wallace - \USA

Neil Murray left Rangers to go to Sion in Switzerland, before playing with Lorient in France and Mainz in Germany.

Thought Kenny Miller had a spell in the states..?

He had a spell in Canada and Turkey.

There’s actually hundreds of Scottish players that have played abroad when you sit down and go through.

Not many at the very top level though. Not recently anyway.

I think Billy Gilmour might well be the next in line to fall into that category.

Liam Henderson ( Ex Celtic and Hibs ) is playing in Italy now. On loan an empoli from Verona.

Back