Scottish Rangers players who never got a cap.

Ian Ferguson averaged one cap a year whilst winning 9iar.

Brown was a clown.

Goram
Robertson
Bomber
Ferguson
McCall
McCoist

All regulars and should have been mainstays of the Scottish team at the time.

I think I'm right in saying Tommy McLean got all his Scotland caps as a Kilmarnock player and never again played for Scotland after he played for Rangers.

Considering what he achieved at Ibrox and how good a player he was, that is incredible.
“Yes” to paragraph one and a “yes. Absolutely incredibly and unbelievably true” to paragraph two.

I remember (back when Euro 92 was on) thinking a Scotland team comprising Rangers players would do better than what we witnessed.

Granted, I was a helluva lot younger but was it all that daft an assertion?

I remember a World Cup qualifier away in Greece where we got beat 1-0. After the match Brown was asked about the game and he said "we won more corners than them!"...

Brown's time was up when he let a 2 goal lead go against a 10 man Belgium team. Useless.
I was at both these games. Scotland were utter dross in Athens (to go with the greek fans ultra aggression) and you could see the Belgium defeat coming a mile off with 30 mins left and us ahead from pressure down our right flank and he refused to do anything. I think a draw would have been good for us. Overrated manager.

Dave Smith was brilliant especially in Barcelona assisted with 2 goals and mentored D J through the game.
Dave Smith was Scotland's Footballer of the year in 1972, and arguably the best Player in Britain that season, and yet Tommy Docherty opted to partner his favoured Centre Half Eddie Colquhoun, with
Martin Buchan, Pat Stanton or Bobby Moncur, whilst completely ignoring Dave Smith (and most other Rangers players).

I agree that he wasn’t better than the players listed.

The point I was trying to make, albeit clumsily, was if Gerry Crainey or Mark Burchill managed caps on form, surely the same logic could’ve been applied to Robert Fleck.

But essentially I agree with you, Robert Fleck though a good player, wasn’t anywhere near good enough to be an international mainstay.
absolutely, during that dark period Fleck would have been our number 9 for years such was the dearth of quality. i thought you were suggesting he was overlooked because he was a Rangers player

If Scotland had been able to evenly distribute the talent we’ve had over the years we’d have been a successful international team. The current glut of left backs and attacking midfielders, but no centre halves or ball winning centre mids or strikers is stark example

Dave Smith was Scotland's Footballer of the year in 1972, and arguably the best Player in Britain that season, and yet Tommy Docherty opted to partner his favoured Centre Half Eddie Colquhoun, with
Martin Buchan, Pat Stanton or Bobby Moncur, whilst completely ignoring Dave Smith (and most other Rangers players).
That's cos Docherty was a fat, alkie bigot.

Who was keeping him out the team?
My recollection is that Robertson was second choice LB to Boyd. As is convention second choice plays in friendlies but Broon picked the Motherwell LB, possibly Rab McKinnon, for a game and Robbo told Broon only to pick him if he was getting a game. That meant the best LB and CH weren't picked, because Broon was a stubborn ass.

Cant help but jump on the John Brown bandwagon. I had my doubts when he signed but it turned out one of the best 300ks we ever spent. The man was an absolute rock. Travesty that he was never capped. Dont think he even made a squad.

Cant help but jump on the John Brown bandwagon. I had my doubts when he signed but it turned out one of the best 300ks we ever spent. The man was an absolute rock. Travesty that he was never capped. Dont think he even made a squad.
He did mate, I’ve referred to it earlier in the thread.

Davie Robertson was only capped 3 times. Thats a staggeringly low number considering we were winning 9 in a row and he was a huge part of that down the left with God
That was an absolute scandal, best left back in Scotland in the last 30 years imo, Stevens and Robertson were miles ahead of tav and borna, in fact ahead of most modern day full backs

Good shout, there is a real bias against late bloomers in international football. He would have been deserving of a cap over players like Holt and Quashie when Rae was at Wolves.
Definitely true.
Scottish mentality.
If you’re not a star at 21, maybe 23, you’ll never make it.

You are having a wee whoosh moment methinks. There is a near legendary radio phone-in with a caller demanding that Niemi be capped for Scotland. On being told that he is Finnish the caller responds that he is not finished; he is only 28! Fortunately the caller seemed to be a Jambo and not a Bear.

I absolutely am haha. Can vaguely remember this now

Reading through the thread and remembering the players mentioned and how few, or no, caps they were awarded just highlights the ongoing shambles of Scottish football.
Unbelievable then when Kirk Broadfoot was capped 4 times despite being labelled a footballer of ‘very limited ability’.

John Brown is the major stand out for me. He could play in just about any position, and you know he would have given 100% - a great utility man and you need that at international level.

However he was bypassed for the likes of Tosh McKinlay, Tom Boyd, Brian Irvine, Derek Whyte and many other diddies.
Looking at the list of those defenders who regularly played, I always wonder why David Robertson only got three caps for Scotland. Was the best full back in the country during our 9 in a row era but Tom Boyd and Tosh McKinlay were playing ahead of him.

John Brown is the major stand out for me. He could play in just about any position, and you know he would have given 100% - a great utility man and you need that at international level.

However he was bypassed for the likes of Tosh McKinlay, Tom Boyd, Brian Irvine, Derek Whyte and many other diddies.
Brian Martin of Motherwell....

That was an absolute scandal, best left back in Scotland in the last 30 years imo, Stevens and Robertson were miles ahead of tav and borna, in fact ahead of most modern day full backs
Robertson's final ball was not as good as what Barasic and Tav ping in. Granted he could take off up those flanks but his distribution was mainly restricted to punts up the inside left channel. Check out the goal we chucked to Marseille out there as but one example.

Bobby Russell would have walked into any Scotland squad of the last 25 years but we often forget he only played in a title winning team for one season and spent much of the rest of his Rangers career in a team struggling to stay in contention for third or fourth place. He had a few injury problems too.

His biggest problem though was the guy ahead of him in the queue was Souness.

Robertson's final ball was not as good as what Barasic and Tav ping in. Granted he could take off up those flanks but his distribution was mainly restricted to punts up the inside left channel. Check out the goal we chucked to Marseille out there as but one example.
I’d say he’s slightly short of barisic on delivery, but defensively far more secure, I know who I’d rather have in my team, hugely underrated which is probably compounded by his lack of caps

Definitely true.
Scottish mentality.
If you’re not a star at 21, maybe 23, you’ll never make it.
But there is also the you'll never win anything with kids attitude with many a young player not chosen because experience wins games. See Paterson, gilmour just now. Unless of course you think "theres a buzz about the place"

(Yes I know both are now capped)

Remember John Brown's answer in an interview about not receiving a Scotland Cap. "Rangers were my international team". :))

Tommy McLean is the best crosser of a ball I've seen at Ibrox and in the game generally. Given at that time Joe Jordan was first pick as centre forward it's bizarre no manager would have put them together for Scotland.:confused:

Charlie Miller only got 1 cap, should have had more even after leaving us. that was a very bleak period for the national team, but for a while it seemed anyone could get a game.
Derek Ferguson only 2 caps.

You could almost put a decent team together out of Rangers players whose Scotland careers were thwarted, limited or ended entirely by fallouts with the SFA or Scotland managers in the 90s and 00s (which should be damning of the officials):
Gough
Bomber
Davie Robertson
Barry Ferguson
Duncan Ferguson
Mo Johnston

Back