Scottish signings

stooler

After making a post in another thread about the lack of Scottish players available I thought I'd ask the question incase I'm missing players

Who is out there that the club could sign to fill a Scottish quota?

Ryan fraser - is he getting a game at newcastle? He would be an upgrade out wide (wouldn't be hard)

John Fleck - decent player that may be tempted to come home

I'm struggling

It’s hard, the ones who are huge upgrades are probably out of our price range. Leaves you with guys like McKay, Fleck, McLean, Shinnie, Liam Lindsay etc.

Even then, the latter might be out of our price range.

I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if we resign Liam Kelly at some point due to the quota.

After making a post in another thread about the lack of Scottish players available I thought I'd ask the question incase I'm missing players

Ryan fraser - is he getting a game at newcastle? He would be an upgrade out wide (wouldn't be hard)

I'm struggling
ryan fraser went from bouremouth to newcastle on a free.his wages would be way over our pay bracket. hes also rank average.

Since returning back to the top flight our relationships with other clubs in the league haven’t been all that great.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t particularly want to do business with those who despise us.

We are probably also being punished as a result of lack of investment at youth level while we were climbing the leagues.

Looking at the current Scotland setup:
Not good enough for us - Kelly, Gordon, Porteous,

Plays/ played for them - McGregor, Ralston, Hendry, Turnbull, Gordon, Tierney, Taylor, Christie, Armstrong.

Out of our price range - Adams, Fraser, Hickey, Paterson, Gilmore, McTominay, McGinn, probably McKenna also.

Leaving only Dykes and McLean that you could even make a case for.

Barry McKay
Wouldn’t have been against us signing him if we could get him cheap.

Best player in the league out with us and them.

Folk will point to his first stint with us. Worth noting he left us when he was 22 and at a time we were a bit of a shit show. He’s undoubtedly developed since then and I’d argue he was hardly useless first time around.

All irrelevant of course because he’s under a long contract and hearts would want more than we should pay.

It's beyond frustrating they're not being used, I wouldn't have particularly minded a sacrificial season to bed four or five of the youngsters in to stand us in good stead for the future, I'm including Charlie McCann in that as well.
Yeah we spend a fortune on players that aren’t any better than the youngsters we have. We could have an amazing young team if they were just given a proper chance

It's beyond frustrating they're not being used, I wouldn't have particularly minded a sacrificial season to bed four or five of the youngsters in to stand us in good stead for the future, I'm including Charlie McCann in that as well.
They are being used though?

King has had a few outings, McCann a start in the last game, Devine & Ure got starts, & Lowry would probably have seen more game time if he hadn't been assaulted playing for the B Team (after coming back from a knock as it was).

It's the start of the season mate, not 6 games before the end.

In terms of home grown status for Europe for next season, Lewis Ferguson would’ve been a smart buy this summer. We’ll need to sign a few in the summer. Liam Kelly could be signed as a back up, Barron for Aberdeen has impressed when played. Don’t really know how John fleck has been doing this season. Other than that I can’t really think of anyone to buy this summer.

McKay would start for us right now.

Ferguson whilst being a gamble would’ve gave steel in middle of park in an area we are toiling

I’d keep an eye on Ramsey at Liverpool and see how he develops as a long term Tav replacement

Ross Stewart would score us goals anc be a good squad option

I slaughtered folk who mentioned Lewis Ferguson every window. Didn't think for a minute he would improve our squad. I take it back tbh, he would improve us but it's because our midfield is so poor.

Mckay on form is better than Kent just now. Kents time at Rangers will be over in the summer.

So off the top of my head that is 2 players that improves our 11. You then look at how bad our CB pairing is but no one could tell me a Scott Mckenna wouldn't improve us currently either.

Yeah this constant need to buy Scottish players when we have good quality in the B team.

Need them for European squad to be fair all our B team players that are talented and around the first team don't need to be listed in it until they're 21. Arfield and Jack fill 2 association trained spots McCrorie and Mcgregor club trained and are all out of contract in the summer so need to address it.

But our young players are constantly talked down on this forum & not ready to
They are being used though?

King has had a few outings, McCann a start in the last game, Devine & Ure got starts, & Lowry would probably have seen more game time if he hadn't been assaulted playing for the B Team (after coming back from a knock as it was).

It's the start of the season mate, not 6 games before the end.
But they aren’t playing consistently. They get just minutes here and there.

This is the problem. You either have a squad good enough to win the league and at least 2 OFs, or you sign Scottish players. :))

In terms of home grown status for Europe for next season, Lewis Ferguson would’ve been a smart buy this summer. We’ll need to sign a few in the summer. Liam Kelly could be signed as a back up, Barron for Aberdeen has impressed when played. Don’t really know how John fleck has been doing this season. Other than that I can’t really think of anyone to buy this summer.
If Ferguson had had any other surname posters, may not have been overly excited about it, but would have given him a chance, at a decent fee.

Then they would have done the exact same thing they do with Wright, & slaughtered him if he didn't dominate every game he played in. Although with much more malice, due to the surname.

I'm struggling
I feel old saying this, but Flecks no spring chicken anymore.

I'm struggling
Just checked 31 years of age, no for me.
Seen that with Dorrans/ Murphy.

What a stupid rule. Scottish, plays for Scotland but not home grown.
So where was he grown? Is it because of the age he went to Chelsea?
Pretty much yeah, his main ‘development’ years or whatever you want to call them were spent at Chelsea, so he’s home grown for English sides.

Similarly, McLaughlin is from Edinburgh but isn’t home grown.

Ethan Erhahon at St Mirren was one I thought could’ve progressed under us when he first broke through. There was potential there but I don’t think he’s kicked on as well in recent years.

Noticed Dundee Utd had a few players in the recent U21 squad, would be worthwhile keeping an eye on them and see how they get on.

They are youngsters coming into the 1st team. That's generally how it works.

They are though being given the chance. That's not always been the case in the past.
Yeah granted they are starting to get chances but I think we need to start building a team around them now. We haven’t been playing great this season.

Lowery king Devine , maybe dykes as a cheap punt for target man last 15/20 against the spl dross and bench for europe.

I’d have him if we could get for 1.5/2 mil

Lewis Ferguson
Barrie McKay
For me, definitely McKay. Ferguson I don't think so unless he sees out his contract and comes on a free. Wouldn't want him anyway.
I hope our own youngsters come through. We need them playing in the league.
Who was it who originally said, " good enough your old enough? I thought with the dutch rep for doing this we would see more of them. Here's hoping as we are going to need them.

Last edited:
ryan fraser went from bouremouth to newcastle on a free.his wages would be way over our pay bracket. hes also rank average.
Fraser turned down a contract extension at Bournemouth that was ( reportedly) taking him from 30 to 60k a week because he thought he would get a top 6 club after having one good season, where he was just behind Hazard on assists. Trouble was he didn't bother in his final season and ended up signing for Newcstle for 50 k a week. Talk about badly advised by his agent ( think it's his dad ) He lost 30k a week for 18 months then signed for less,,,, not the most intelligent footballer. Oh and yes he has gone backwards for sure ability wise.

Yeah granted they are starting to get chances but I think we need to start building a team around them now. We haven’t been playing great this season.
I haven't suggested we are mate. I also don't think it's nearly as catastrophic as some others.

But, I'm not sure throwing them all in would make that particularly better, or be fair on them.

King & Lowry in particular I think can make the breakthrough, McCann looking good to also do so.

& I think all 3 have the potential, & opportunity to be as involved, or otherwise, as they choose.

Since returning back to the top flight our relationships with other clubs in the league haven’t been all that great.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t particularly want to do business with those who despise us.

We are probably also being punished as a result of lack of investment at youth level while we were climbing the leagues.

Looking at the current Scotland setup:
Not good enough for us - Kelly, Gordon, Porteous,

Plays/ played for them - McGregor, Ralston, Hendry, Turnbull, Gordon, Tierney, Taylor, Christie, Armstrong.

Out of our price range - Adams, Fraser, Hickey, Paterson, Gilmore, McTominay, McGinn, probably McKenna also.

Leaving only Dykes and McLean that you could even make a case for.
I genuinely wouldn't br surprised if we tried to sign him in the summer he's out of contract in the summer he's a Ross Wilson signing written all over him. Hopefully not but I wouldn't be surprised one bit

I haven't suggested we are mate. I also don't think it's nearly as catastrophic as some others.

But, I'm not sure throwing them all in would make that particularly better, or be fair on them.

King & Lowry in particular I think can make the breakthrough, McCann looking good to also do so.

& I think all 3 have the potential, & opportunity to be as involved, or otherwise, as they choose.

Out the 3 I would say Lowry is ready to actually start as a consistent regular. If Helander, Davies or Souttar got fit then King wouldnt be anywhere near the team. I personally dont think we should be in this position with him at CB but that shows how shocking the recruitment has been. Mccann too early to tell, but feel we need something different.

I genuinely wouldn't br surprised if we tried to sign him in the summer he's out of contract in the summer he's a Ross Wilson signing written all over him. Hopefully not but I wouldn't be surprised one bit

Hopefully Wilson will be sacked before the summer. He shouldnt be allowed to sign 1 more player.

Back