Scottish signings

Out the 3 I would say Lowry is ready to actually start as a consistent regular. If Helander, Davies or Souttar got fit then King wouldnt be anywhere near the team. I personally dont think we should be in this position with him at CB but that shows how shocking the recruitment has been. Mccann too early to tell, but feel we need something different.
Leon King is 18yrs old mate.

He's doing more than fine.

I haven't suggested we are mate. I also don't think it's nearly as catastrophic as some others.

But, I'm not sure throwing them all in would make that particularly better, or be fair on them.

King & Lowry in particular I think can make the breakthrough, McCann looking good to also do so.

& I think all 3 have the potential, & opportunity to be as involved, or otherwise, as they choose.
We could have the spine of a good team. McCrorie, King, Devine, McCann, Lowry and Ure but I fear some of them will never get a proper chance.

Lowery king Devine , maybe dykes as a cheap punt for target man last 15/20 against the spl dross and bench for europe.

I’d have him if we could get for 1.5/2 mil

I got slaughtered on here when I mentioned Dykes for 2 million when he was still at Livingston. I was told that figure was ridiculous.

We have a B Team full of young Scottish talent.

The likes of Devine, McCausland, Lowry, MacKinnon should all be featuring for us regularly.

Yep. We have plenty of players coming through that should be getting more first team experience. Plus with young Scottish players, we need to be signing them young. I would have been happy if we signed Lewis Ferguson when he was at Hamilton. Once he signed for Aberdeen, the value for money dropped off significantly.

We could have the spine of a good team. McCrorie, King, Devine, McCann, Lowry and Ure but I fear some of them will never get a proper chance.
For the reasons I've laid out above mate I don't believe that to be the case (in terms of opportunities afforded to them).

Last edited:
I got slaughtered on here when I mentioned Dykes for 2 million when he was still at Livingston. I was told that figure was ridiculous.
I probably will too but imagine we signed davie Dodds/stevie Thompson in this modern era same shite would Be said , but they were decent off the bench and a euro quota player (what they were signed for)they done fine in a rangers shirt. Faces like a melted welly mind

Doig is rotten. Yilmaz we don’t know yet but it’s still September and he only moved to us early august so give the boy a chance
Shite at hivs. Been brilliant so far in Serie A.

Yilmaz can't seem to get anywhere near displacing Borna. Tells its own story. Came from a better league too.

Since returning back to the top flight our relationships with other clubs in the league haven’t been all that great.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t particularly want to do business with those who despise us.
Funnily enough we have loaned out players to every team other than Celtic and Hearts (I think).

Our nation trained quota is already full (Arfield, Jack, Wright, Souttar) so they would need to leave to add any others. It’s club trained players that we’re struggling with but hopefully Devine, King, Lowry can all progress and stay to fill those spots in years to come.

Our nation trained quota is already full (Arfield, Jack, Wright, Souttar) so they would need to leave to add any others. It’s club trained players that we’re struggling with but hopefully Devine, King, Lowry can all progress and stay to fill those spots in years to come.
I thought this too, That’s why I believe we kept McGregor on as him and Mcrorie are our only 2 club trained.

It changes those suggestions above in the thread, MacKay and Fleck would only help with adding to the squad

Younger players (Lowry King on B list and don’t need to take up a spot due to age for now)

King and Lowry have the best opportunity to really establish themselves in our team.

I’m struggling to think of any Scottish players who’d enhance our squad at a realistic price.

Last edited:
Think most clubs these days, in whichever league you chose, will have the same problem in terms of players who commit their careers to one club.

We are maybe (hopefully) due at least one..

That can not only carry the weight of the shirt, but can overcome the inevitable barrage of abuse that they would take over the years unless they were a minimum 9/10 every week.

Liam Cooper isn't home grown. Murray Wallace is nowhere near good enough.
Hes as Scottish as Goram and Gough. Have you seen our central defence?

Lots of brilliant players coming through for Scotland down South. Would we get them is another question though. Ross Stewart should be someone we should have signed before he went down South a bit like Hickey. We are too snobby when it comes to players from the diddys.

I wonder if we’ve even thought about John Fleck?

Still only 31 and out of contract next summer, I think.

Davis, Arfield and possibly even Jack will be gone by then.

We could do a lot worse.

King and Lowry have the best opportunity to really establish themselves in our team.

I’m struggling to think of any Scottish players who’d enhance our squad at a realistic price.
Perhaps not right away but we should be looking at Lee Millers laddie.

We could do a lot worse.
Depends if hes going to be an EPL player again and probably settled big time down there.

Lots of brilliant players coming through for Scotland down South. Would we get them is another question though. Ross Stewart should be someone we should have signed before he went down South a bit like Hickey. We are too snobby when it comes to players from the diddys.
We should be looking to sign at least 1 young Scottish talent every couple of years from the league, which is not unreasonable.

Yes a lot of teams will be incredibly difficult to deal with.. But..

Now, more than ever before (brexit) EPL teams are going to look to snap up talent from Scotland.

Your completely right on the snobbery of some of our fans though, & it just adds to the obstacle of it (as if it were needed).

I mean, imagine the uproar if we did something like that in January.. even if we were leading the title race by.. let's say 6 points (same number that for some had us out of it a couple of weeks ago), then we played certain player & dropped 3 points..

The point the poster was making is that he (Cooper) wouldn’t be classed as a nation-trained or club-trained player in our UEFA squads. Born in England and all his football development was in England, same as McLaughlin. The other players you mention would be classed as nation-trained though, including Wallace if that’s who you meant. Hickey would certainly have been good enough (if he would have signed, given his background), the others I’m not so sure about.

Last edited:
Brighton have become the latest English Premier League side eager to step up their interest in Aberdeen’s rising youth academy star Lewis Pirie.

Leeds United and Fulham have already shown their desire in bringing the young Don south of the border, with the sides watching the 16-year-old during Scotland U16's clash with Denmark, writes the Daily Record.

And the Seagulls have joined the list of interested parties after casting an eye over the youngster in his impressive performance which was topped off with a goal during Aberdeen's win over Hibs last week.

Pirie has already been handed a glowing report by the Brighton scouting team and they will continue to monitor him closely over the coming weeks.

English Championship side Sheffield United are another who are keeping a close eye on Pirie. The frontman is one of the top talents coming through the Cormack Park system and the Dons are keen to get him signed to pro-forms when he comes of age next year.

Since returning back to the top flight our relationships with other clubs in the league haven’t been all that great.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t particularly want to do business with those who despise us.

We are probably also being punished as a result of lack of investment at youth level while we were climbing the leagues.

Looking at the current Scotland setup:
Not good enough for us - Kelly, Gordon, Porteous,

Plays/ played for them - McGregor, Ralston, Hendry, Turnbull, Gordon, Tierney, Taylor, Christie, Armstrong.

Out of our price range - Adams, Fraser, Hickey, Paterson, Gilmore, McTominay, McGinn, probably McKenna also.

Leaving only Dykes and McLean that you could even make a case for.
I would never rule out signing someone like Jack Hendry or Armstrong if they became available, just because they played for them.

They weren’t full time members of the green brigade, they were just Pro’s doing a job.

Not even exaggerating in saying that Barrie McKay would probably offer us a lot more than Kent does atm.

Barry Mckay on the right wing would be better than any solution we currently have.

Realistically I think we need to be looking to pick up the best ones before they are 20, because there isn’t much talent left in the league older than that, certainly not at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Shite at hivs. Been brilliant so far in Serie A.

Yilmaz can't seem to get anywhere near displacing Borna. Tells its own story. Came from a better league too.
Because Borna upped his game and has rightly then kept his place. He’s on a 5 year deal for a reason, no point rushing him especially when we aren’t in good form to carry any errors as he learns the game.

Dykes isn't nation trained so no point in signing him.

Kenny McLean on a free would be ok if wages are reasonable. Especially if Jack & Arfield leave.

The ones that are good enough aren't affordable and the ones that are affordable aren't good enough.

I would love to see this forum cope if we signed him
Just for the banter !

He has matured as a player, and as a person.
He plays very well for Hearts now, and his numbers are better than Kent.
There was always a player in there, just struggled with the expectation and the circumstances.

There's always a surprise or two that comes through at a club and impresses. Dundee United have a few young players who look like they could have decent careers, for example, but it's early and we haven't seen enough of them yet.

We just signed a load of players in the summer at under-18 level, both to get the numbers there high enough and to try and pick up the potential stars early. They won't all make it with us, but we are trying to pick up good young Scottish players, as well as developing our own.

As an aside - I don't believe many of the names mentioned here would have improved us in the way some are arguing. Some strong squad players perhaps. We'll never know I suppose.

We could do a lot worse.
Was in the away end at the last oldfirm so he still follow us when he can.

Back