Scotty Arfield Back to England

Won’t hear a bad word said about Scotty. We should have given him another year rather than the crock Jack and I’m sure Scotty would have contributed more over the season than sicknote did.
Totally different player to Jack. Looking at Arfield’s position, we had Cantwell, Lawrence, Lammers and Hagi this time a year ago, so his game time looked limited.

Won’t hear a bad word said about Scotty. We should have given him another year rather than the crock Jack and I’m sure Scotty would have contributed more over the season than sicknote did.

Arfield said he was told his game time would reduce if he stayed and he chose to leave because he wanted to play football. It wasn't a case of chosing over him or Jack

The fact we let Scotty go last summer and kept Jack baffled me. We’d have got far more out of Arfield, even if it was as an impact sub off the bench.

Wish him all the best in his next move.
Perhaps because during their careers with Rangers Jack was more often a first pick for numerous managers whilst Arfield not so. The decision to let Arfield go last season was 100% correct, Jack should also have been released, but that's down to poor management, not for the first time.

Dunno what the legs are like now but if he finds the right level hell be a big asset for someone. Be surprised if a few scottish clubs werent interested

Good luck to Scott wherever he goes. A man who gave his all for us, never hid, and bloody well enjoyed every goal he scored!

He was out his depth in the MSL due to his age, as for the green card pretty easy as he is a Canadian citizen.

Wasn't getting enough game time so it's probably a good move for him. He's a player who wants to play. Love the guy - one I really miss. Will never forget that performance against the Sheep.

Totally different player to Jack. Looking at Arfield’s position, we had Cantwell, Lawrence, Lammers and Hagi this time a year ago, so his game time looked limited.
Yea at the time yet by January we had no Lammers or Hagi, Cantwell hardly contributing and Lawrence dito and constantly injured. Even an Arfield with half his legs might have popped up with a goal last 10/15 min of games where drawing or goal behind. All if’s /maybes and hindsight a suppose

I could see him going to Wrexham tbh. He is an infectious guy and a really nice one so he might like the idea of the disney plus documentary side with a view to getting into the media post football. I dont think the james mclean element would particularly bother him either tbh.

Yea at the time yet by January we had no Lammers or Hagi, Cantwell hardly contributing and Lawrence dito and constantly injured. Even an Arfield with half his legs might have popped up with a goal last 10/15 min of games where drawing or goal behind. All if’s /maybes and hindsight a suppose
Absolutely. If Arfield had a year left on his deal he’d no doubt have stayed and contributed, but his wage would’ve gone towards the new signings.

Funny thing is that Arfield was/ better than all of them too. We never replaced him, and never had a sufficient back up to him either when he was at his best for us.

Hope he ends up back at us in some capacity when he retires. I think he’d be a great mentor to our youngsters in the academy.
He might become a great coach, he might become a shit coach. He might not even become a coach at all
No one posting on a message board can tell and there are plenty examples out there.
To pick one at random. Go back a few years.and you'd have hundreds of posters on here telling you what a great defensive coach Davie Weir would make

I wondered if the time might come to head back to Falkirk.

Maybe wants one or two more pay years, but with them back in the championship, thought he might fancy it.
That’s a really good shout.

I always thought he might end back there for his last 1-2 years.

I would be amazed if he didn't get a Scottish Premier League team like Motherwell or St Mirren or Hearts going for him or even a Championship team.

He might become a great coach, he might become a shit coach. He might not even become a coach at all
No one posting on a message board can tell and there are plenty examples out there.
To pick one at random. Go back a few years.and you'd have hundreds of posters on here telling you what a great defensive coach Davie Weir would make
Nobody would have been predicting Rhys McCabe as a manager (and meant to be doing well) ………..you never can tell what players will be good at it. Arfield seems to be bright and have varied interests so wouldn’t be surprised to see him going into business after playing.

It was definitely the right time to say goodbye last year tho , he wanted to play more than what we could ever provide. He wasn’t impacting matches from the start 2 years ago.

He was out his depth in the MSL due to his age, as for the green card pretty easy as he is a Canadian citizen.
I know its physically a strong league but I thought itd suit him well as an experienced squad player and Im a little surprised hes coming back. Family life over there must be super as well, trading all that for deepest darkest League 2 seems illogical.

He is one player Ive really missed at Rangers, it was time up for playing but his professionalism and personality contributed a lot to the group dynamics and those things are not easy to find or replace.

Hes a winner and a driver guy, Rangers should be looking to bring him and those like him into the Coaching and Operational side of the club when they stop playing.

Back