Scrap the season if we cannot finish by end of June, says Harry Kane

BrooklynBlue

“We do need to try to finish the season but there needs to be a point where enough’s enough. Playing into July or August and pushing next season back, I don’t see too much benefit in that.

“Probably the limit for me is the end of June. If the season’s not completed by then we need to look at the options and just look forward to next season.”

Playing the remainder of the league season over the summer months will no doubt cause a number of serious injuries to players as they would be non stop for 13/14 months without a break.

You’d have to finish this season off then jump into another then play the European championships as soon as next season ended.

Add in international games on any potential free weeks and no doubt the winter break being cancelled to catch up and you’ve got a recipe for disaster.

Its utterly embarrassing that the SPFL would rather put peoples lives and play football, than just say what has to be said. The League is over, done, finito, null and void.

You have to remember that everyone has their own agendas in this, including us. Scrap the season and Spurs probably get Champions League football given their position last season. There has to be a blanket decision made, whether that be by UEFA or FIFA.

You have to remember that everyone has their own agendas in this, including us. Scrap the season and Spurs probably get Champions League football given their position last season. There has to be a blanket decision made, whether that be by UEFA or FIFA.

UEFA have made it clear they won’t be deciding.

I've been of the opinion for a few days now that UEFA were unlikely to actually make a firm decision across all leagues as it would mean them taking ownership and therefore accepting a degree of responsibility/liability which, as an organisation, they generally don't do if there is any possibility of a claim coming.
They may, however, give some form of guidance once it's clear the season cannot be completed without impacting the next one but will ultimately leave it to the individual Associations to decide.
Each Association effectively nominates who they want to represent them in Europe the following season which is generally based on league positions and national cups. There may not be any European football next season - either due to a necessity to shorten the season if the current situation drags on or due to the fact that different Countries will be at different stages in terms of the pandemic and associated restrictions and, as such, cross border matches may not be an option.

I agree with him.

if not in a position to finish by then, logical to me that we draw line under this season and hope we can start the 20/21 season around early Autumn.
Harsh on multiple clubs I know, but there is no point in screwing up next years competitions for the sake of trying to salvage the current years

Won't be playing by June, decisions will need to be made. Can't award teams titles or relegation unless mathematically impossible.

Good that some big players are coming out with this kinda stuff now, common sense says it should be null and void - can’t see this ending any time soon.

Uuy411G.gif

I think some of the comments coming from everyone including players regarding which month everything should get back to normal is looking ignorant and foolish in the extreme, we would be better guessing what fuc%=ng year it might get back to normal!

The shout for N&V appears to be gathering pace Europe wide.

Meanwhile in the Scottish mentally challenged presspit, they continue to search for every poet and his granny's viewpoint and print stories informing us why the title should be decided on current standings.

Arseholes, you'll soon be ploughing a lone furrow.

Bet he’ll still want his goals for the season to be counted though?
The current seasons have to be finished one way or another. If it takes another 6 months they so be it. Don’t see the point of cancelling a season if there is no official start date of the next one.

This is it.. It has be the same call for everyone

I can’t see any football being played in June , July is pushing it at best pre season August

The only team who would lose out in the PL if the league was voided, is Liverpool. Money can be paid out as the league stands and Euro places as last season. It does however impact all the way down for promotions.

Season is over, doubt even next season will start on schedule, only option is to void all unfinished competitions this season!

From the governments' deputy chief medic...

Britons will not get back to 'normal life' for SIX MONTHS or more...

And without doubt you can add in all sporting events and other occasions where large crowds attend will be under review for at least another 6 months. Does anybody actually think crowds of 50,000 are going to be allowed to congregate in october this year!!

Uefa and Fifa will pass the buck re league titles so expect them to be named champions as soon as this decision is left to the SFA !

To reasonably finish the league by the end of June then the teams would need to be back training before the 25th April... Not a snowballs chance in hell this season is finishing before the end of June!!

Will sponsers and tv pay out if there is no conclusion to the season? The lead up to title races and the final stages of cups is what draws them to the game.

Back