SD v RFC Judgement

I've read the whole thread and still not 100% clear on what happens from here. I'm used to disappointing news so this is yet another kick in the chuckies for us and our club.

Will continue to observe this thread and take in the information from people a lot more clued up that me.

Off to read some of the football related threads now as court room battles are not my thing.

The day we are finally rid of every thing Mike Ashley will be every bit as big as lifting '55. Just when you think every thing is falling into place and on the up, boom, bad news comes our way.

I am so fucking sick of reading posts by bears with not a lick or faintest whiff of legal knowledge or education ripping into the club and its litigation strategy.

It’s fine to be gutted about this but let’s not pretend to know what the actual options were. We simply don’t have all the information.
Spot on, It would be great if the club could get some kind of update to us like Club 1872 for example with breaching any law. Although the fact they haven't would suggest there is not much to tell at the moment.
However I don't think today's result would be a big shock to them.

Is it possible for King to get a sit doen with this (unt and see what it will take to rid him to fu(k off forever. Even if it means King losing face the greater good is Rangers.
I still cant believe that ashley has been a (unt from the start. If hed played the game hed be raking it in

I cant believe anyone, having seen what he's done at Newcastle, didn't think he was going to behave like an utter c*nt.

I cant help think this is horrendous. What company is going to go to the trouble of putting a bid together to know the Cholesterol Kid can come in and take it from under them?

DK has always held that olive branch out though BB has he not when he said that he saw no reason why Rangers and SD couldn't work well together, or did I read that wrong when he said it?

He did, he said due to their size an infrastructure it made commercial sense. But then we tried to get rid of them in anyway they could hence where we are at.

Could we not have an agreement with Elite to offer a belter of a deal and see if SD are really up for matching it?

Surely if they agree to something ridiculous like 95% profit, SD would shit themselves and not match it?

Unfortunately judges rule on the facts that are written in the contract. Not what is morally right or wrong.

If only that were true when the Scottish COS ruled against us not on any points of Law but common sense in favour of HMRC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34720850

Any Judge using common sense would see that a major income provider for our club such as merchandising has been subverted to serve outside interests like Ashley.

Could we not have an agreement with Elite to offer a belter of a deal and see if SD are really up for matching it?

Surely if they agree to something ridiculous like 95% profit, SD would shit themselves and not match it?
But then if SD refused to match it, Elite would be stuck with a losing deal.

Personally I am proud of folk like @Robert Marshall who are doing what they can to help. I am also proud of folk like Dave King who put their money and time into trying to get the best out of a bad situation. I am not so proud of folk (like you) who come on here greeting and moaning because things havent gone our way. Can I ask what you have done to help? I guarantee it's a helluva lot less than King or the boys at the Loudon.
What would you like me to do?
Serious question what can I do in this situation?
We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and we are selling gear from a market stall in a pub.

Sports direct want the profits from another company's selling.
The selling of strips would never reach the same levels if sports direct were to have won the rights in the first place as no one would have bought the strips on the same level.
A farce and frankly the judge is an arse.

My concern looking forward is this:

SDI have the ability to match any deal we are offered by another supplier/retailer

Why then would any other retailer go to the bother of offering us a deal when they know that SDI are likely to match it (and then probably not stock goods etc)? No alternative deal to match leaves us with a huge potential problem, but might also raise questions about the contract itself

My heid is fried

This was in a thread a few weeks ago. If Ashley does become our retail partner does he then have to meet these obligations??

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...hallenge-over-merchandise.79487/#post-3814842

The offered rights in relation to the webstore, stated Rangers would get 20% of all receipts from the retail and online sale of kit and other products with a guaranteed minimum payment of £350,000 a year.
The rights involved Rangers retaining all royalties or other payments payable to it from its kit manufacturer.

It would mean Sports Direct would be appointed official retail partner of Rangers, but there would be no free sponsorship or advertising rights provided, although they would be invited to take out paid advertisement in all Rangers matchday programmes, on the club website, trackside at Ibrox, and on interview backrops, among other areas. It would be at normal commercial rates.

Mr Ashley's company would have to meet the £500,000 cost of works on a new shop fit for the Rangers Megastore and the cost of developing an enhanced webstore.
Sports Direct would also assume responsibility for the employment of all staff in the Rangers Megastore.

The recommended retail price of adult retail shirts were to be benchmarked against the Celtic price.

It said that Sports Direct would have to appoint a retail director to operate the Rangers merchandise business.

"The person to be appointed shall have experience in a senior retail role with an English Premiershipclub or equivalent and shall be dedicated to Rangers,"
the document said.

"We [Sports Direct] shall work with Rangers, its kit manufacturer and other licensors of Rangers products to maximise sales of those products and to establish Rangers products as a high quality-sporting brand.

"We shall ensure the ethical sourcing of goods and that both we and our suppliers treat our workers well, pay fair wages and work legal working hours.

We shall comply with Rangers' brand standards when selling Rangers products with agreed launch dates and other marketing initiatives for the sale of new Rangers replica kit and training clothing.

"We are committed to high standards of corporate governance and to restoring Rangers' status asScotland's number one football brand."

It said Rangers would have the ability to terminate the appointment forthwith without penalty or compensation if Sports Direct failed to comply with their contractual obligations.

Is there any point in appealing? The spiv c**ts have obviously signed deals with SD that are water tight and no matter how good our lawyers are on the day, can they ever win this as the Judge has to rule on legality of contracts, not the fairness of deal. Its fkn brutal but appealing will ultimately cost us more. I think the only way out this is to sit down with the fat pr*ck and his Board and try reach some sort of conclusion, because we aren't going to get a happy ending if we keep going to Court

Whoever was involved in this fiasco and thought we were doing everything above board should be removed from club immediately

First thing that should have been looked at was the contract between us and that fat wxnk
It clearly has not been looked at or worse it was an some inept clown thought we could walk away without repercussions, that for me is a sackable offence
The blinkered view of some that our board cannot be criticised in any way, shape or form is a very dangerous stance to take - and one which actually got us in to this mess way back.

Yes, Ashley is a c.unt - but King and co definitely need to come under scrutiny and be held accountable in certain situations. Have we not leaned anything from recent events in our history ??!
I have repeatedly said that certain people employed at the club were simply not up to the task, signing this contract after handing over £3M to them and still failing to identify the things now appearing is negligent at best and incompetent at worst, there’s also the memorial wall shambles and another day in court that it entails.
As you say these people seem to be untouchable.

Is it possible for King to get a sit doen with this (unt and see what it will take to rid him to fu(k off forever. Even if it means King losing face the greater good is Rangers.
I still cant believe that ashley has been a (unt from the start. If hed played the game hed be raking it in
I believe DK tried to do this but the slug wouldn't meet him.

It’s not sickening . They can’t make us buy from them .

I’d rather spend £40 buying the new rising stars tickets than buy a kit from Mike Ashley

If all the above is true then it is sickening mate as most will buy from Ashley it not buy at all. Either way the Club gets very little or fu,ck all income from strip sales

I expect a body like club 1872 could do it with no input from Rangers, it is likely that Ashley could not stop that.
However, looking at the terms of the judgment Rangers could NOT officially encourage such a course of action.
There is time though as the fat man will not get control until the beginning of next season.

Whilst a wee bit of legal advice would be required, it would be fantastic if we could get Hummel to produce an alternative top, for the fans. Given Hummel's ... The only problem with them manufacturing the strip is that they'd essentially be making something that competed with the official top, and therefore their own profits...

There could be no chat of boycotts, nothing that would give the Fat Man an 'out' to pursue Rangers for encouraging or "failing to discourage". It would be a tacit boycott of the official strip and the funding of Rangers via the fans strip.

Surely all it takes is Hummel saying they will not supply Sports Direct with merchandise, and they will supply only stores they feel are right for their business?

Is there any point in appealing? The spiv c**ts have obviously signed deals with SD that are water tight and no matter how good our lawyers are on the day, can they ever win this as the Judge has to rule on legality of contracts, not the fairness of deal. Its fkn brutal but appealing will ultimately cost us more. I think the only way out this is to sit down with the fat pr*ck and his Board and try reach some sort of conclusion, because we aren't going to get a happy ending if we keep going to Court
Who signed the deal , the spies were long gone when this deal was signed and hailed a great deal by king and Murray

Nope. Elite cant input an unreasonable deal as they'd then need to pay it and fiduciary duty stops them from doing so (i.e. not acting in the best interests of their shareholders).

If you bother to read the judgment, you will see for yourself what it means.
Ashley is getting back the rights to sell out kit next season and is to get punitive damages for the Eilte deal.
Sadly, this is not good.
He is getting (no doubt very significant) damages, but not punitive damages. But regardless of that point of pedantry from me, you are correct that this is not good at all.

Where does it say they have been awarded damages that will run into the millions?
They have been awarded damages, we tried to get them capped at £1m and the judge was having none of that. He stated they could run into 'many millions'

We also have potential litigation from Elite to deal with on top of paying legal costs.

It's a total f*ck up.

A little bit of light at the end of the tunnel, mate?
How long is the tunnel?
There's still a bit more to go in court appearances. We've got our own litigation against Sports Direct, and they have other litigation against us. So we're still trying to get all the facts aired. Once all the facts are fully aired a favourable outcome for us is much more likely.

What would you like me to do?
Serious question what can I do in this situation?
We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and we are selling gear from a market stall in a pub.

So nothing then? Just as I thought. Either put up or shut up

I am not legally astute, but what was stopping us from "agreeing" (wink wink) a deal so bloody favourable for us with Hummel then offering SD the opportunity to match it?
If they did, we'd be seriously better off. If not, we're shot of them. Then we quietly renegotiate terms with Hummel behind closed doors... ;)
At least there's something in here to smile at.

Said it at the time when people were flocking to the superstore.

Details of the deal couldn't be realised'

Done like kippers again.

I find it difficult to understand just like nearly everyone else,but the first thing I would do would be sack
our legal team we have been beat at every turn of the dice.

Unfortunately judges rule on the facts that are written in the contract. Not what is morally right or wrong.

No they don't - sometimes they decide to ignore facts and precedent:

Last November, Lord Drummond Young and fellow judges Lord Carloway and Lord Menzies ruled it was “common sense” that payments made to high-earning players from 2001 to 2009 via EBTs were earnings and not loans.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/law-lord-who-gave-rangers-9287653

Sports direct want the profits from another company's selling.
The selling of strips would never reach the same levels if sports direct were to have won the rights in the first place as no one would have bought the strips on the same level.
A farce and frankly the judge is an arse.

I see your angle there seems to be an argument that they are adopting the goodwill that customers have for another company and which simply does not extend to themselvrs basically because they are utter filth

I was thinking elite offers us a deal where they pay us £5M(arbitrary figure) and keep 100% of the income from the merch sales.

SD would make a huge loss matching that and we get guaranteed money.
I was thinking that.
Elite will know how many jerseys they can shift so they can offer X amount upfront and they keep all the profit, if SD match this then we get the X amount upfront but we then boycott, meaning they lose out.

This was in a thread a few weeks ago. If Ashley does become our retail partner does he then have to meet these obligations??

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...hallenge-over-merchandise.79487/#post-3814842

The offered rights in relation to the webstore, stated Rangers would get 20% of all receipts from the retail and online sale of kit and other products with a guaranteed minimum payment of £350,000 a year.
The rights involved Rangers retaining all royalties or other payments payable to it from its kit manufacturer.

It would mean Sports Direct would be appointed official retail partner of Rangers, but there would be no free sponsorship or advertising rights provided, although they would be invited to take out paid advertisement in all Rangers matchday programmes, on the club website, trackside at Ibrox, and on interview backrops, among other areas. It would be at normal commercial rates.

Mr Ashley's company would have to meet the £500,000 cost of works on a new shop fit for the Rangers Megastore and the cost of developing an enhanced webstore.
Sports Direct would also assume responsibility for the employment of all staff in the Rangers Megastore.

The recommended retail price of adult retail shirts were to be benchmarked against the Celtic price.

It said that Sports Direct would have to appoint a retail director to operate the Rangers merchandise business.

"The person to be appointed shall have experience in a senior retail role with an English Premiershipclub or equivalent and shall be dedicated to Rangers," the document said.

"We [Sports Direct] shall work with Rangers, its kit manufacturer and other licensors of Rangers products to maximise sales of those products and to establish Rangers products as a high quality-sporting brand.

"We shall ensure the ethical sourcing of goods and that both we and our suppliers treat our workers well, pay fair wages and work legal working hours.

We shall comply with Rangers' brand standards when selling Rangers products with agreed launch dates and other marketing initiatives for the sale of new Rangers replica kit and training clothing.

"We are committed to high standards of corporate governance and to restoring Rangers' status asScotland's number one football brand."

It said Rangers would have the ability to terminate the appointment forthwith without penalty or compensation if Sports Direct failed to comply with their contractual obligations.
Would zero hour contracts that he uses not contradict the fair wages part of this

It's prohibited by EU contract law and UK Common Law.

It's likely to only last until the end of the 7-year deal the cunts fucked us with before being booted out,

Ended in 2021, I think.

Then again, so much of that deal is under NDA's and injunctions.
Think Guinness have their gaff on a thousand year lease or something.

No they don't - sometimes they decide to ignore facts and precedent:

Last November, Lord Drummond Young and fellow judges Lord Carloway and Lord Menzies ruled it was “common sense” that payments made to high-earning players from 2001 to 2009 via EBTs were earnings and not loans.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/law-lord-who-gave-rangers-9287653

The same Lord Carloway who tried and failed to inflict an illegal transfer ban on our club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18248766

Yes, but as a justification for the imposition of the injunction, not a finding that damages should exceed the contractual cap.

To be clear though that doesn't mean that we can just pay him £1m and get out of the contract.

Right cheers, get you now. SD losses are in the multiple million pounds so the cap is insufficient. He is therefore granting the injunctive relief the were seeking.

Back