SD v RFC Judgement

Is the solution to this as simple as signing a deal to allow a supplier/distributor to make and sell kits under licence?

Hummel/elite will be aware roughly of the number of kits we can shift. So we charge an upfront fee based on expected sales. Low risk for a proper retail partner as the kit will fly off the shelves.

Anything they sell over and above will be a bonus for them, we will loose out on revenue in the short term i.e. One season but if the deal isn't matched by SDI then we're rid of them.

Is the fat slug likely to match a deal where he has to part with a sizeable amount of cash upfront? Given that most will boycott and sales won't be anything near what another supplier would sell.

Every possible avenue should be explored to rid us of Ashley once and for all.

We can’t go on taking these types of judgements against us, we must find a way through it all!

Is the solution to this as simple as signing a deal to allow a supplier/distributor to make and sell kits under licence?

Hummel/elite will be aware roughly of the number of kits we can shift. So we charge an upfront fee based on expected sales. Low risk for a proper retail partner as the kit will fly off the shelves.

Anything they sell over and above will be a bonus for them, we will loose out on revenue in the short term i.e. One season but if the deal isn't matched by SDI then we're rid of them.

Is the fat slug likely to match a deal where he has to part with a sizeable amount of cash upfront? Given that most will boycott and sales won't be anything near what another supplier would sell.

Totally agree. There definitely has to be a 'flyer' method available to get shot of Ashley than the route that the board went down. If he's got the entitlement to match an offer then that offer should have been framed in a way where it was not going to be very attractive for him to want to match it. I cannot understand why it has all been made so complicated. The method you've suggested is workable.

Taken me an age to read this thread, so will read the judgement tomorrow at some point.

Lot of naivety on this thread, expecting it to be simple to set up a fans company to offer a stupidly favourable deal that SDI wont match. That wouldn't stand up well in court, and would most likely be seen as a blatant attempt at evading the confines of the matching clause in the contract.

The purpose of this current court proceeding is to deal with us breaching the terms regarding the matching agreement. I dont expect that it will result in an end resolution to send us on our separate way from SDI. I believe that we will need to finally take our medicine on this one, and then either get round the table with SDI, or challenge them again over another issue. Perhaps the terms of the contract that they maybe haven't fulfilled? We need to find a breach on their part to take them to task on, and to look to get the contract ripped up.

Now, I dont know if that is possible, I dont know if such a breach has existed, and I dont know that the details of said contract that have been posted are part of the current contract. (Current as in the one signed to replace the 7 year notice deal). However, i believe this may be a more fruitful approach to take.

I'm sure Dave King has a plan, and is more than prepared for a long and painful war. But i wish he would just get it fucking sorted, and free us once and for all of this embarrassing, costly, prohibitive mess, whatever the cost may be, financially and to ego.

Irrespective of any potential future/current court battle outcomes. Rangers fans and hopefully Newcastle fans should make life very difficult for Sports Direct. Preferably without harming the livelihoods of the poor folks who work for them for minimum wage. That's the trickiest bit. The man has already been chewed up by Parliament for his business practices. So he's not exactly got a reputation that we can bruise or damage. We cant expect the press up here to take any interest either, other than to gloat and goad. Press down south seem to not care what's going on at Newcastle and in a public sense he's viewed already as a source of ridicule.

That's the issue. The guy is an out and out wanker but everyone knows it. You can hit him in the pocket. That's about it.

Judge ruling in favour again with a company who have no interest in being our partner, it’s a farce.
Ruling in favour of the company who followed the rules of the contract?

Boo hoo if they’re not friends of Rangers - they’re following what was agreed.

I've been saying this for months.

Get a firm to give us a stupidly favourable deal.

Best case scenario: SDI walk away
Worst case scenario: SDI match it and make %^*& all from us

Para 70 of the judgment covers that unfortunately.

The only way around this as I see it would be to not use "third party" manufacturers or distributors. SDIR has third party matching rights.

What if we did it in-house though? For example, if Rangers bought Elite's business (or another distributer) outright and it became part of RIFC? Could we then stick 2 fingers up to SD and say we're doing it ourselves now?

Fixed legally ? No offence but you only have to read the court report to see that we're legally fucked.
Yes, but was that the advice he was given?
My guess is that Kings wants one thing.
His lawyers have told him his chances are x%.
He then decides whether to go for it or not.
I’ve no idea what that percentage may be or where King draws the line.

I've been saying this for months.

Get a firm to give us a stupidly favourable deal.

Best case scenario: SDI walk away
Worst case scenario: SDI match it and make %^*& all from us
Exactly my thoughts.
I’ve said similar on another post.
There must be a reason for such a simple solution not to be the answer.

Edit: like part 70 of the judgement.

Fat Mike & Sports Direct wont be getting a penny from me ever.

It’s easy for me to say being an overseas Bear but the support as a whole need to be far more militant over this.

There’s still idiots that use the megastore FFS!
Don,t think it's about the money with the fat man any more.its personal.

Exactly my thoughts.
I’ve said similar on another post.
There must be a reason for such a simple solution not to be the answer.

Edit: like part 70 of the judgement.

What’s part 70?
Can’t face reading it all lol

Is it possible for King to get a sit doen with this (unt and see what it will take to rid him to fu(k off forever. Even if it means King losing face the greater good is Rangers.
I still cant believe that ashley has been a (unt from the start. If hed played the game hed be raking it in
£3 million.

Oh wait...

In return for selling them Tav, Rangers should insist on -

Confidentiality clause on the transfer

Rangers to receive 100% of any sell-on fee

The right to buy him back at any time at a price determined by us

A transfer fee now of 50 million, as he's twice as good as Tierney

Ashley rescinding all ties and restrictions from SDI towards Rangers

Now, that would be just about as balanced and fair a deal as he had secured with us!

On a more serious note, the Board need to either publicly, or via Club 1872, clarify exactly what the current position is, and what options are open to both the Club and its supporters.

There is so much misinformation around, that the only way the club can properly harness the support to secure the change we all need, is to unambiguously clarify the situation as above. If the support then decide to take whatever action is deemed appropriate, then at least they will be doing so knowing (a) where we are coming from, and (b) where we are going to. And, of course, any such action would not be instructed by the Club, but would be originating from the support itself.

This nightmare has gone on for far too long, and needs ended without further delay.

It’s kind of surprising it can’t be undone considering it was put in place by the previous regime who are always supposed to act on the best interests of the business and blatantly didn’t.

All I can say really is I hope Ashley dies a slow and painful death, a vile individual.

Reading between the lines on this judgement and the knowledge of posters on the thread , it seems like a lump sum will inevitably have to be paid to SDI in order to end this painfully long drawn out saga .

It’s not going to be a million but it’s not going to be £10 million either. You’d think a payment of around £5 million will easily cover the 1mill from last season , same for this and next , plus cover the injunction .

As we are losing a fortune every time we lose in court anyway , is it not time to take a step back, pay them the £4 or £5 mill ( roughly) and get shot of these utter parasites once and for all ? The situation can’t continue and I’d rather spend that money getting rid of Ashley and SDI for good than sign another player , for example .

At some point we need to pull up stumps and call an end to the charade .

Reading between the lines on this judgement and the knowledge of posters on the thread , it seems like a lump sum will inevitably have to be paid to SDI in order to end this painfully long drawn out saga .

It’s not going to be a million but it’s not going to be £10 million either. You’d think a payment of around £5 million will easily cover the 1mill from last season , same for this and next , plus cover the injunction .

As we are losing a fortune every time we lose in court anyway , is it not time to take a step back, pay them the £4 or £5 mill ( roughly) and get shot of these utter parasites once and for all ? The situation can’t continue and I’d rather spend that money getting rid of Ashley and SDI for good than sign another player , for example .

At some point we need to up stumps and call an end to the charade .

My thoughts on the situation are similar.

Bite the bullet and do what needs to be done to get rid of these utter bastards forever.

Time to fight a dirty war with SD.

A coordinated effort with Newcastle fans could paralyse some of his stores on a given day... maybe filling baskets, getting loads of items scanned at the check out then walk away - leave them to cancel the scan again to cancel, and then put all the stuff back.

Returns would not work because SD issue credit notes.

Would also be worth doing something at the Frasers store in Glasgow to show the middle class shopper that it's now a glorified SD tat shop.
tried that before and only about 100 of us turned up.

If that was the case then yes, but I dont see anything that says we can get rid of them. It sounds like they have a clause that they get to match whatever other offer we get?

Ashley's goal is to strangle us out of pure spite. I think it's long past being simply about money for him.

It would be great if we could just pay him a lump sum to fuck off but I doubt it will be as simple as that or it will have already happened.

Time to fight a dirty war with SD.

A coordinated effort with Newcastle fans could paralyse some of his stores on a given day... maybe filling baskets, getting loads of items scanned at the check out then walk away - leave them to cancel the scan again to cancel, and then put all the stuff back.

Returns would not work because SD issue credit notes.

Would also be worth doing something at the Frasers store in Glasgow to show the middle class shopper that it's now a glorified SD tat shop.

Totally agree with this.

If that was the case then yes, but I dont see anything that says we can get rid of them. It sounds like they have a clause that they get to match whatever other offer we get?

That can’t be the case forever though, there’s a European law against it stated by another poster on this thread .

Remember also we have a man , stubborn as Ashley when it comes to legal matters , our own Mr King . However surely after this latest loss , we must be looking at severing ties with SDI for good by making an approach with what is seen as a reasonable settlement .

It will stick in the craw as they say but will be worth it as long as not exhorbitant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we could also owe Elite and Hummel cash as I believe we indemnified them against any losses from the resultant court cases.

What is bugging me.For the last 2 years I have been buying official merchandise via the gersonline and the Belfast shop. The thought that Ashley will be getting his hands anywhere near my (around a grand) money makes me sick.
Somehow we need to be told if we are to continue buying merchandise from offical sources.

Surely it's absolute amateur from us to still sell strips through Gersonline when it looks inevitably it will be going to Ashley?

What is bugging me.For the last 2 years I have been buying official merchandise via the gersonline and the Belfast shop. The thought that Ashley will be getting his hands anywhere near my (around a grand) money makes me sick.
Somehow we need to be told if we are to continue buying merchandise from offical sources.

This is an example of how the rank and file will feel . I do too . And now people will be extremely reticent to buy anything else until we get some clarity on what is going on moving forward .

We aren’t Newcastle fans - we will boycott again if we feel it’s required . We’ve shown it before .

I think this is the issue, a lot of fans don't bother with this side of things.

Said a hundred times and I'll say it again, we as a support do not realise the power we hold collectively.

You’re not wrong
How many sat on their hands when we were nearly sent to oblivion?
We like to call ourselves the best support in the world, that’s simply back patting, we aren’t, we aren’t even near it. We are lazy

The thought has crossed my mind that the reason for the stock shortages isnt down to Hummel.

Its been because the Club have known this was potentially the outcome and trying to minimise the damage at the same time keeping the fans happy.

Risky business. That now looks to have back fired.

On a more serious note, the Board need to either publicly, or via Club 1872, clarify exactly what the current position is, and what options are open to both the Club and its supporters.

There is so much misinformation around, that the only way the club can properly harness the support to secure the change we all need, is to unambiguously clarify the situation as above. If the support then decide to take whatever action is deemed appropriate, then at least they will be doing so knowing (a) where we are coming from, and (b) where we are going to. And, of course, any such action would not be instructed by the Club, but would be originating from the support itself.

This nightmare has gone on for far too long, and needs ended without further delay.
Whilst you are correct on this, I'm not holding my breath. Our board are not exactly the best at communicating with the fans.

That can’t be the case forever though, there’s a European law against it stated by another poster on this thread .

Remember also we have a man , stubborn as Ashley when it comes to legal matters , our own Mr King . However surely after this latest loss , we must be looking at severing ties with SDI for good by making an approach with what is seen as a reasonable settlement .

It will stick in the craw as they say but will be worth it as long as not exhorbitant.

Thats all good and well.

But this isnt about money.

It never has been

I doubt that. Loss of revenue would be part of the damages claim. The damages claim in aggregate is limited to £1m.

How much do you reckon to pay them off Marty ( if that’s the inevitable outcome ) .

I’d guess between £2 and £4 million but even if it takes £5 its worth it in the end

So the whole capped damages at 1 million was a load of sh1te then ?
We tried for it and it got knocked back I belive, it's looking like it's going to be substantially more. Sickening after all this the he's still going to get a huge chunk of our merchandise sale.

How much do you reckon to pay them off Marty ( if that’s the inevitable outcome ) .

I’d guess between £2 and £4 million but even if it takes £5 its worth it in the end

I doubt there’s an affordable figure that would pay them off.

Although there’s this cap, that renews when the contract renews.

The contract can potentially renew indefinitely, so for each renewal of the contract we could end up paying £1m.

I doubt Ashley will be interested in any offer therefore - he’ll be too happy just to sit there pulling the legs off the spider like the weird fat bastard he is.

I think we have to treat these cases as a sort of guide to the contract. Now we know what it means and how it works we have to make sure it works for us as far as we can.

I think offers where there is a larger upfront payment by the third party in exchange for a larger share of the sales etc would work for us. If Ashley matches he has to pay cash upfront and he’ll know he would not recoup via the share of sales (whereas a non-Ashley third party would.)

But the question is how far along the line a third party would be prepared to go with this sort of offer.

Back