SD v RFC Judgement

The ‘monumental bill’ in the short term would/could be to Elite/Hummel is what I’m saying mate not to the Fat C*nt. You appear to be bypassing that possibility.

I also didn’t say the cap would be removed. I said he hadn’t ruled on it one way or the other.

My understanding is that the outcome is that we are forced back to SDI. We are likely to have to pay the penalty for breach. Let’s say that is £1m. SDI are also due a share of the profits from last year and the forthcoming year. Elite/Hummel will be in a position to sue us for breach of contract as well.

All I see is vast sums of money going out the Club and us being forced back into a never-ending deal with SDI.

If you can see positives in that please do tell.
Im not sure it’s positive or negative developments really - seems to me to be as you were. Rangers have actually openly accepted we owe damages to SDI.

Regarding Elite/Hummel i think its naive at best to assume they weren’t aware of our current situation at the time and find it highly unlikely we would’ve gotten in to a deal knowingly that we were open to further damages from those parties due to an unforeseen ruling from the courts - this was always going to happen. That’s speculation of course but I’m not concerned it will come to that.

I don’t think we will be dealing with SDI next year either as the courts have already tried last time to force us down that route and we completely ignored it - we will likely do that again. The courts are limited in their remedies here which has been somewhat acknowledged in the ruling.

Last edited:
Did our reps state in the case that should SDI be awarded the total damages due that we did not have the funds to pay when arguing the the cap should remain?

Did our reps state in the case that should SDI be awarded the total damages due that we did not have the funds to pay when arguing the the cap should remain?

It looks like Rangers argued that losing the case would impair the ability of the football Club to operate but the Judge disagreed at Para 95:

“Nor do I consider that there is any risk that Rangers’ ability to function as a football club will be impaired”.

So we need to pay compensation on assumed sales the judge think SDI would have got? I assume that doesn't take into account the fact we would not have purchased many from them! Whole thing is a bit sh*t!

Im not sure it’s positive or negative developments really - seems to me to be as you were. Rangers have actually openly accepted we owe damages to SDI.

Regarding Elite/Hummel i think its naive at best to assume they weren’t aware of our current situation at the time and find it highly unlikely we would’ve gotten in to a deal knowingly that we were open to further damages from those parties due to an unforeseen ruling from the courts - this was always going to happen. That’s speculation of course but I’m not concerned it will come to that.

I don’t think we will be dealing with SDI next year either as the courts have already tried last time to force us down that route and we completely ignored it - we will likely do that again. The courts are limited in their remedies here which has been somewhat acknowledged in the ruling.

As I have said repeatedly for a couple of years now.

Sports Direct have no intention of selling RFC strips.

They are simply ensuring that no one else can.

Is that genially the case? I hear that a lot.

After the 3m settlement did they not stock out kit up to the end of the contract? I can’t actually remember but I’m sure they did.

Doesn’t look like we are going to get rid of them so we have to try and compromise if that is actually possible.

Para 70 of the judgment covers that unfortunately.

The only way around this as I see it would be to not use "third party" manufacturers or distributors. SDIR has third party matching rights.

What if we did it in-house though? For example, if Rangers bought Elite's business (or another distributer) outright and it became part of RIFC? Could we then stick 2 fingers up to SD and say we're doing it ourselves now?

Part 70 of the judgement is just stating what SDI's case was? They can want whatever they want.

After the 3m settlement did they not stock out kit up to the end of the contract? I can’t actually remember but I’m sure they did.

Doesn’t look like we are going to get rid of them so we have to try and compromise if that is actually possible.

It's just opinion mate. It's not substantiated by anything.

It may well be the truth but the only thing Ashley cares about is money.

Yes, they did. However, it was apparent that during the boycott prior to that they had obviously wound down production because stock levels were initially low and slow to release when the new deal was signed and we were all told to go out and buy.

You can be fairly sure that if we went into a new deal with SDI that MA isn't going to fill his warehouses with any notable volumes of kit that is being boycotted.

First and foremost they want us tied to them and unable to go elsewhere, I would agree with Shug on that.

It then becomes a long-term stand-off to see how long the club is prepared to support a boycott of kit sales if the only place to get them is SD.

Not to say they'd come out and actively tell us not to buy, but they could do what they did before and get the message out that buying the kit on onerous terms isn't helping and the support adhere to that.

How long is the club prepared to take that hit, because while I'd probably have to agree with the judge's assertion that it wouldn't impede our ability to function as a football club, it would absolutely mean a degree of cloth-cutting and challenges to us being the level we aspire to be.

It would become a case of who flinches first when SDI have a contract making them no money and Rangers have cut off a key revenue stream. Never mind how long the support would be happy to go without kit too. Fine for a season or two maybe, but something would give at some point IMHO.

When you think about it what is the point in that? What does a sportswear company get in screwing a Scottish football club?

Would be ideal if we had one person that could prove to be trained in this field of law and explain everything in basic language to us all.

There’s too many people using it as a release to hammer King, while others seem unwilling to criticise in anyway when the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

With respect, it’s hard to know who to take seriously given the complexity and overall length of this case.
Yes, I agree a FF legal eagle chiming in around about now would be well received. A few doomsday bears and equally the heid in the sand loyal are throughout this thread.

When you think about it what is the point in that? What does a sportswear company get in screwing a Scottish football club?

It has nothing to do with business any longer.

It is the fat bastard being a fat bastard.

They were told 18 months ago to get a deal sorted.

They never attempted to do so

Some advice and a statement from DK would be appreciated pronto

Has to come because the fans won’t buy any more unless advised.

The board won’t be able to get away with “ can’t say anything legally “ for much longer or retail will just grind to a halt altogether .

Who’s going to pay money for gear knowing that Ashley will get a sizeable cut ?

The board won’t be able to get away with “ can’t say anything legally “ for much longer or retail will just grind to a halt altogether .

Board will have to clarify obviously (as they should to fans in all these cases) but it doesn’t seem to be the case that Ashley will get more money based on more sales from the judgement. The damages are capped.

Something has to come from the club.

However their communication to fans has been awful and almost non-existent at times. It's not exactly an area of strength for them :(

Something has to come from the club.

However their communication to fans has been awful and almost non-existent at times. It's not exactly an area of strength for them :(

Agreed but they don’t have any choice now as by saying nothing sales will grind to a halt until we are told . To be fair if legally it can’t come from them directly , there will be other outlets the fans will trust , club1872 etc .

I think this is the issue, a lot of fans don't bother with this side of things.

Said a hundred times and I'll say it again, we as a support do not realise the power we hold collectively.
So many don’t want to know or can’t be bothered. Seen it every protest we had. Always the same faces turned up and even then our own were against us. We have the power to do something all across this country and cost the fat lady's front bottom with upping his security and loss of sales. What we should be doing is buying shares in slaves direct and turning up to face the fat bastard at his agm

Wish this nightmare would hurry up and end, this parasite is sucking the financial life out of us.

i thought we had paid him off with the £5M then didn't we pay him another £3M to GTF ?

he is the one last boil that is tying us to the Banter years and stopping us from fully progressing and moving on from it all.

Utter Frustration.

Big games coming up and sadly the 2 liveliest threads are this and the Celtic abuse story.
It makes a nice break to drop into a football thread now and again.

Big games coming up and sadly the 2 liveliest threads are this and the Celtic abuse story.
It makes a nice break to drop into a football thread now and again.

This is where the frustration comes from .

For the first time in ten years it’s them on the front pages and us on the back , we are all talking football , kids resplendent in the outstanding new kit, then bang , another setback . It’s not going to alter our course as a club but it puts a dent in the positivity and allows rags like the record to put us on the front page again under the direction of hollicom .

We can’t have a head in the sand mentality from our board over this - we need reassurance and direction on what next . Do we continue to buy from elite ? Stop buying ?

Nip it in the bud ASAP .

This is where the frustration comes from .

For the first time in ten years it’s them on the front pages and us on the back , we are all talking football , kids resplendent in the outstanding new kit, then bang , another setback . It’s not going to alter our course as a club but it puts a dent in the positivity and allows rags like the record to put us on the front page again under the direction of hollicom .

We can’t have a head in the sand mentality from our board over this - we need reassurance and direction on what next . Do we continue to buy from elite ? Stop buying ?

Nip it in the bud ASAP .

There's going to legal restrictions on what the club can say. Pretty sure they're not allowed to promote sales of kit for the Elite deal following the previous ruling, so they can't come out and tell us to buy from them.

Likewise, I doubt they'd want to sour any relationship with Elite/Hummel by coming out and saying not to buy.

There will be other commercially sensitive aspects which they can't discuss anyway, so it may simply be that they can't say what we want them to say and if anything the silence speaks volumes about the fact they've certainly not suggested we should be heading to SD shops for anything.

There's going to legal restrictions on what the club can say. Pretty sure they're not allowed to promote sales of kit for the Elite deal following the previous ruling, so they can't come out and tell us to buy from them.

Likewise, I doubt they'd want to sour any relationship with Elite/Hummel by coming out and saying not to buy.

There will be other commercially sensitive aspects which they can't discuss anyway, so it may simply be that they can't say what we want them to say and if anything the silence speaks volumes about the fact they've certainly not suggested we should be heading to SD shops for anything.

If they do that and stay silent , nobody will buy anything from elite either . That’s not a good thing .

So I guess the advice is to hold off on buying strips? I was due to buy the new home shirt when it came into stock online.

So I guess the advice is to hold off on buying strips? I was due to buy the new home shirt when it came into stock online.

The club are contesting the judgement.

Until you see no stock in the St Vincent St ot online, I would suggest we are still OK to buy.

The store and the online store have nothing to do with the club,,,,if they decide to withhold inventory then I would be worried

They did have concerns but we were that sure of what we were doing we indemnified them. We are now legally obliged to compensate them for any losses. A total f*ck up.

If they do that and stay silent , nobody will buy anything from elite either . That’s not a good thing .

None of this is a good thing, but there might simply be things the board cannot say.

We're not in a good place with all of this, that is indisputable.

I already won't be purchasing any more kit until the fog has cleared, so I've no doubt others will be in the same boat.

I've held off purchasing anything from the gerstore for this reason. No got any insigh to this at all but until we are finally rid of the fat parasite I'll not be buying merchandise

They did have concerns but we were that sure of what we were doing we indemnified them. We are now legally obliged to compensate them for any losses. A total f*ck up.
Fair enough if true but nothing I’ve read says that was the case. Don’t remember any talk of an indemnity clause for cases such as this at the time or referenced in the judgement text (albeit it wouldn’t need to be written in this judgement)

I've held off purchasing anything from the gerstore for this reason. No got any insigh to this at all but until we are finally rid of the fat parasite I'll not be buying merchandise

I felt the same however the kids wanted the kits and I’ve spent just under £200 on Hummel stuff .

Reverting back to not a penny more until this is resolved properly . The thought of a fair whack of money going to SDI makes me sick .

The one thing sdi can’t do is force people to buy .

Fair enough if true but nothing I’ve read says that was the case. Don’t remember any talk of an indemnity clause for cases such as this at the time or referenced in the judgement text (albeit it wouldn’t need to be written in this judgement)

Indemnity clause was mentioned in the case prior to this one.

Indemnity clause was mentioned in the case prior to this one.
Fair enough - they would also need to invoke it though. Doubt rangers were ever confident of winning this to be honest but the trade off of having our kit out there and some profit was far better and damages to SDI are ultimately limited.

Elite and Hummel would be well aware of this - I would be very surprised if we end up in court with those parties. This is in no way a surprise.

A mass leafleting and social media campaign would be ideal to make sure every single bear is aware of SDI’s shops and brands together with a message encouraging people not to give them any custom whatsoever.

Leaflets in the streets approaching the stadium, leaflets left in Rangers friendly pubs and clubs. With enough coverage, the press would surely pick up on it only adding to awareness overall.

Obviously this would need to be done from outside the club and without meaning to add to a separate argument, this is what the Fighting Fund could have been used for.

It's an absolute calamity by the board.

Not only will the club now have to pay damages to SDI for their loss of revenues - likely to run into 'many millions of pounds'; we will now also likely have to pay damages to Hummel / Elite for being unable to honour the contracted deal signed with them.

And Fat Ashley will STILL be in charge of Rangers retail operations, despite already having been paid millions by the club to go away.

All of this was willingly and knowingly entered into by the board. It's hard to envisage a worse deal.

Fair enough - they would also need to invoke it though. Doubt rangers were ever confident of winning this to be honest but the trade off of having our kit out there and some profit was far better and damages to SDI are ultimately limited.

Elite and Hummel would be well aware of this - I would be very surprised if we end up in court with those parties. This is in no way a surprise.

Why the fkcu did they think they would get away with this without being sure legally we could do this?
Who signed off on this…was it King?

It's an absolute calamity by the board.

Not only will the club have to pay damages to SDI for their loss of revenues - likely to run into many millions of pounds; we will also have to pay damages to Hummel / Elite for being unable to honour the contracted deal signed with them.

And Fat Ashley will STILL be in charge of Rangers retail operations, despite already being paid millions by the club to go away.

All of this was willingly and knowingly entered into by the board. It's hard to envisage a worse deal.

Ive had to come off twitter as it's pretty much this. How the %^*& did the board allow us to get into this position? Should Club1872 not be demanding someone fucking resign? This is as bad as it gets for me. I have spent all morning going through this and I cannot see a single glimmer of hope for us? Unless King and Fatman come to some sort of arrangement? I know we have a counter claim but I'm not holding our breath that we will get anywhere with this going on our form. This is really fucking serious.

Back