Seaforth Highlanders at Ibrox for the Empire Exhibition 1938

I used to go to the Seaforth Highlander club in Nairn for Christmas parties as a kid, all I can remember is the big selection box of chocolate you used to get at the end. I assume it was through my Grandfather, but not sure.

Thanks for posting Mark. My uncle was a Seaforth Highlander but was lost at the age of 22 years. Thanks great picture.

Cracking photo Mark, during WW1 the Seaforth’s had a recruiting office at the Bridgend in East Belfast and the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) had a recruiting office nearby on the Albertbridge Rd. In the 60’s /70’s when I stayed with friends in the South-side of Glasgow used to pass a pub called The Seaforth down near Cumberland St.

My GGF fell the second wave of the attack on Redan Ridge, 1st day of the battle of the Somme with the 2nd Battalion. He lies in Serre Road and we have been to see him on many occasions, including 3 generations who served after him. Would love to get a print of that pic of the Ross-shire Buffs at Ibrox - thanks for sharing Mark.

My wife's great uncle was a pipe major in the seaforths and just made it through the war, Sadly he died in Hamburg in February 1946 from leukemia .

The story in the family was that he had velcro stripes on his shoulders as he liked a little tipple hence why he was buried as a serjeant.

He is buried over there and we have made the visit to his grave several times.

42977844242_93ed9d079c_z.jpg

42977843332_b3decacba1_c.jpg

Back