Season 20/21 Abandonment

HamiltonJungleBear

Official Ticketer
A second wave of Covid 19 is being forecast for this winter. If the season has to be abandoned before it’s completed will a winner be declared or will it be null and void? Wouldn’t it be nice if the SPFL could be forced to publish their preparations for such an eventuality before we start another tainted season?

A second wave of Covid 19 is being forecast for this winter. If the season has to be abandoned before it’s completed will a winner be declared or will it be null and void? Wouldn’t it be nice if the SPFL could be forced to publish their preparations for such an eventuality before we start another tainted season?
Depends whether it’s us or them sitting top.

The SPFL executive board have been asking clubs to allow them the power to call the season in such a case. Last I read, it wasn't likely to be passed this time around.

Rangers lead by 20 points.

Title awarded to the soapdodgers because "they would probably be able to overcome the deficit"

The SPFL have written to clubs asking for power to take a decision if such a situation arise.

Last I heard they were experiencing resistance from clubs but I suspect after some bullying and bribery they’ll be granted the power they need.

As per usual we’ll say nothing and obey the orders from Liewell. We had them on toast over the last voting shambles but we decided to back off and let them away with bare faced cheating despite the board having promised the fans that they wouldn’t be found wanting.

Rangers lead by 20 points.

Title awarded to the soapdodgers because "they would probably be able to overcome the deficit"
They would claim we were likely to go into administration before end of season, so would knock off at least a dozen points or more and we would forfeit all remaining games 3-0!

Whether there be a second wave or not, that a plan hasn’t been put in place for agreement before the season starts is madness and yet a further sign of how badly run our game truely is.

This is what they are trying to do with the ‘executive powers’ vote currently out there at the moment, although you could make the argument that is the wrong way to go about it.

Why not just propose, for example, ‘if the season reaches game X before abandonment, title awarded to first place’, otherwise null and void?

Well the answer to that one is easy - they have no guarantee They will be top at the time.

This is the real reason the spfl are wanting full power, so they act in a certain clubs interest without going through votes

Why not just propose, for example, ‘if the season reaches game X before abandonment, title awarded to first place’, otherwise null and void?

Well the answer to that one is easy - they have no guarantee They will be top at the time.

Exactly, most clubs would be happy to vote in favour of something like this and knowing it in advance solves the shambles of last time.

Using it to try and seize unlimited executive power is a disgrace

Scaremongering at its best from higher powers fucking idiots if it happens it happens but scaring people by saying its forecast?
arseholes
In some ways I think it's not so much scare mongering but putting out there that life will not really be the same.

If there is a second wave it's just messaging to get people ready for moving up and down through lockdown stages.

Whether there be a second wave or not, that a plan hasn’t been put in place for agreement before the season starts is madness and yet a further sign of how badly run our game truely is.
Exactly. That’s the big problem. Anything else opens up an opportunity for more Liewell shenanigans. The rules need published before the season kicks off.

Quite a high chance of a second wave. Evidence shows that the virus could/will spike similar to the winter flu.

The biggest game changer will be if a vaccine is found and will allow for a different way of managing public health.

It's not really a forecast, the numbers in the news today are the worst case scenario based on modelling with all sorts of variables.

This is the real reason the spfl are wanting full power, so they act in a certain clubs interest without going through votes

If their Emergency Powers are granted on Monday 20th July they will use them to decide the 2019/20 outcome if the Aribtration Panel rejects the Good Friday Resolution as being incompetent or the decides the Dundee vote was indeed a 'NO' vote.

Thankfully the Emergency Powers Resolutions seems doomed to fail but mark my words they want them to resolve last season if necessary not just this season.

Not to be trusted.

Scaremongering at its best from higher powers fucking idiots if it happens it happens but scaring people by saying its forecast?
arseholes
It is a report today that reports on Worst Case Scenario ie if we did nothing to mitigate spread , hopefully that shouldn't be the case.

The spfl want the right to call the league if it is curtailed by another spike- they already have petitioned the clubs to give them the authority to prevent the same confusing and frustrating situation arising just like this season - where quick decisions can be made instead of going back to the clubs to vote on

Bheggars pump Accies on day one, Doncaster's cat catches covid and the season is abandoned with the title is awarded to the unwashed, being ahead on goal difference and therefore clear favourites

Reactions: VGM
The SPFL executive board have been asking clubs to allow them the power to call the season in such a case. Last I read, it wasn't likely to be passed this time around.
Yes, but was that not for them to make decisions as and when they happen?
Is the op not looking for the rules to be in place before the season starts so that there is no repeat of the nonsense next time?

Even if we're on top by 15 points there's no chance they'll award it. If only 3 games are played and Celtic are up on goal difference and it's abandoned ye can be sure they'll be awarded it.

It’s safe to say this virus isn’t going anywhere for a while, it would be naive not to expect it to cause some impact to next season.

The point is correct though- the SPFL are not to be trusted with how they will manage this should it arise again. They exist to serve one club

Morally correct or not, I think even if there is a second wave the government won't want society shut down like it has been already. The economy won't take it.

IMO the season would continue, even if it had to be behind closed doors again for a time.

Just ask big Liewell,the final decision is his.

Yes, but was that not for them to make decisions as and when they happen?
Is the op not looking for the rules to be in place before the season starts so that there is no repeat of the nonsense next time?

You would need everyone (or the vast majority) to agree on a proposal though which seems highly unlikely, teams won't vote for no promotion, the same way other teams won't vote for a relegation, so that only really leaves league reconstruction & we saw how well that went the last time

Thats exactly why they want this executive power so they can just do what they feel like doing & theres no comeback/arguements/court cases

Surely no clubs would vote through abandonment after this seasons fiasco. Then again Scottish football...

Surely no clubs would vote through abandonment after this seasons fiasco. Then again Scottish football...
That’s why it should be openly decided. We have had enough of ‘behind closed doors’ decisions, a la Vatican, in Scottish football. Before the season kicks off let’s hear what the rules are.

You would need everyone (or the vast majority) to agree on a proposal though which seems highly unlikely, teams won't vote for no promotion, the same way other teams won't vote for a relegation, so that only really leaves league reconstruction & we saw how well that went the last time

Thats exactly why they want this executive power so they can just do what they feel like doing & theres no comeback/arguements/court cases
You offer a great explanation, bud.
However, we can’t leave this type of thing to people who are clearly influenced by “somebody”.
These people relegated a team who had a game in hand over a survivor.
Would you bet against them awarding a title to one club when an opponent in second is two points behind with a game in hand?
I think we need absolute clarification ( sorry!) and the rules set in stone before we play again.

However, we can’t leave this type of thing to people who are clearly influenced by “somebody”.
Would you bet against them awarding a title to one club when an opponent in second is two points behind with a game in hand?
I think we need absolute clarification ( sorry!) and the rules set in stone before we play again.
Agreed. I love saying this-“ but remember Partick Thistle.”

Someone else mentioned it but its ends up going back to when the SPL re-merged with the SPFL (or whatever they call themselves now) 75% of votes from lower leagues is crazy.... will struggle to get anything agreed on with that nonsense. Imagine if the EPL had to have 75% of the conference teams agree to any changes :rolleyes:

If the SPL had its own vote terms would have been hashed out weeks ago, null & void it go again next season, prize money either shared equally (since theres not a lot of it anyway) or based on an average of this & last seasons places, same with euro places

As to your other point, if the places were reversed & we were 10 points clear, imo null&void would have been pushed from the very start for 'sporting integrity'

Given the fallout, it would make sense to have a clear defined process or decision in the regs should there be a repeat of the shutdown in 20/21. However, them asking for the powers to do as they want is not on, and I would be checking the small print in any changes they propose. I don’t think anyone trusts them now not to make a mess of it, or act in certain clubs interests.

Given the fallout, it would make sense to have a clear defined process or decision in the regs should there be a repeat of the shutdown in 20/21. However, them asking for the powers to do as they want is not on, and I would be checking the small print in any changes they propose. I don’t think anyone trusts them now not to make a mess of it, or act in certain clubs interests.
Agreed. Surely everyone in Scotland, except the Ceptic tainted, no longer trusts the SPFL/SFA. Even the MSM seem to be wary of the SPFL having the power to call the season. It’s not much to ask for clearly stated rules to be published before the season starts. Liewell wouldn’t like it so that’s the only reason it’s not happening.

it won’t be as bad if lockdown , due to people staying in more in winter.

Depends whether it’s us or them sitting top.
First answer nails it as usual.

If they are leading they will be declared winners, if we lead the season will be 'postponed' or voided, depending on how many points we lead by.

Surely the right thing to do is what should have happened this time round. Wait as long as possible and if the season cant resume, declare it void. Give the out European spots based on who secures most points up to the cancelation

Last edited:
If they are top:-
"A precedent has been set, call the season now"

If we are top:-
"There was too much fuss last time and the clubs didn't give us executive power to call the season, we have no option but to null and void"

Reactions: VGM
According to my news app it's almost certain and will be 'worse' so league will at least be postponed for a period. Almost certain.

If they are top:-
"A precedent has been set, call the season now"

If we are top:-
"There was too much fuss last time and the clubs didn't give us executive power to call the season, we have no option but to null and void"
Exactly this make the decision suit the circumstances

Back