Season 93/94

IrvineLoyal

Amazing to think that we only won 22 out of our 44 league games that season losing 8 and drawing 14.

Think in hindsight we were suffering an awful hangover from the glorious season before and sure we suffered a lot of injury problems.

Any memories if that season and does anyone remember what game we clinched it i cant remember, did we win league without playing?

It was a pretty awful season - the form of Hateley was the story of the season in Scotland. He was destroying teams by himself all season.

Rangers struggled to put any kind of run together with injuries and poor form of players. Winning half the matches and still being Champions summed up how dire the league was that year.

Amazing to think that we only won 22 out of our 44 league games that season losing 8 and drawing 14.

Think in hindsight we were suffering an awful hangover from the glorious season before and sure we suffered a lot of injury problems.

Any memories if that season and does anyone remember what game we clinched it i cant remember, did we win league without playing?
Where & how that title was won is always a debate. I definitely remember being at Easter Road on a Tuesday night and Rangers losing but being hailed as Champions on the radio on the journey back. There’s also a school of thought that it wasn’t won until the following Saturday at Rugby Park.

Last edited:
Was this the year Hateley was basically a one man wrecking ball?.

22 wins is ludicrous, says more about the league than Rangers though.

You could say it was more evenly matched, although on the other hand you could say a team who only wins half their games should never win a title.
This . It shows everyone how much the league has changed in terms of competition . These days a loss is a total disaster for us or them and a draw not much better. Back then more of the other teams could compete sometimes on a more regular basis although they never had enough to go the distance . Nowadays it’s two horses then the rest miles behind .

Where & how that title was won is always a debate. I definitely remember being at Easter Road on a Tuesday night and Rangers losing but being hailed as Champions on the radio on the journey back. There’s a school of thought that it wasn’t won until the following Saturday at Rugby Park.
My memory has always been that we won it at Easter Road despite losing - if you skip to the 30:30 mark of the video below then Gerry McNee revels that Motherwell had dropped points that night and Rangers had won the title due to our superior goal difference, that would mean we actually mathematically clinched it at Rugby Park.

It was a pretty awful season - the form of Hateley was the story of the season in Scotland. He was destroying teams by himself all season.

Rangers struggled to put any kind of run together with injuries and poor form of players. Winning half the matches and still being Champions summed up how dire the league was that year.
TBH we weren't the greatest for a couple of years after 92/93 season 94/95 wasn't much better but done enough. Gazza arriving in 95 kicked us on again imo or we would've been toiling for 9 IAR.

It was the first season of which I have specific memories so it will always be magical to me.

My memory has always been that we won it at Easter Road despite losing - if you skip to the 30:30 mark of the video below then Gerry McNee revels that Motherwell had dropped points that night and Rangers had won the title due to our superior goal difference, that would mean we actually mathematically clinched it at Rugby Park.

That always been my recollection of it but I remember a lengthy thread on here a while back where it being won at Kilmarnock was the position of some folk.

Aberdeen finnished only 3 points behind us in the end i had in back of my mind that was Motherwell who finnished 2nd.

Aberdeen lost less game than us but drew 21 times that is incredible when you think about it.

mentally challengeds drew 20 games as wel as well as losing 9 from 44 games.

I was young then but wasn’t there a perception we were running out of steam last couple months of the 92/93 season? The results in the last few weeks of that season don’t look great.

Looking at results there - how did we manage to lose 2-0 at home and 3-0 away to a rotten Celtic team, and why were there only 30k at the last Old Firm game?

You could say it was more evenly matched, although on the other hand you could say a team who only wins half their games should never win a title.
Think Durie done his fair bit when he came in but yeah Hateley was the driving force

So, at Rugby Park then.

I think that was the year we won without playing, whoever could catch us drew or lost on the Saturday and we were playing on the Sunday.

I had an ongoing 9 in a row bet with a tim (after we had 4) and pointed out that we won without playing and he could pay up in instalments.

Looking at results there - how did we manage to lose 2-0 at home and 3-0 away to a rotten Celtic team, and why were there only 30k at the last Old Firm game?
The piggery was getting rebuilt, reduced capacity.

During 9IR it was not uncommon to lose 3/4 games before Xmas.

I guess the season on this thread is the one I remember as our tactics being ,'launch the ball to Hateley'.

It worked!

Think we lost 3-0 at home to Dundee United early December then went unbeaten until an April defeat at Fir Park.Finished the league season with 4 or 5 games without a win then lost cup final as well.

A poor season but some fantastic games, 4-2 new year win at the piggery, league cup semi at at Ibrox with a 50/50 split, McCoist overhead kick in the final.

Although some dire games as well, the nadir was going 3-0 down at home to Dundee United at Ibrox in the first 20 minutes.

That defeat to Celtic in 1995 was an embarrasment. It was a shock to me because I had never seen a Rangers
team play as if they couldnt give a fk about an Old Firm game (and that was since starting in 1969).
1993-94 was a terrible run in ., and the players couldnt raise themselves for the first double treble.

I've long since concluded that most modern players dont give a toss about history or embarassing scorelines.

Well below par over the NIAR years. Failed to win at home against Celtic and at Pittodrie. Lost twice to Killie and Motherwell.
By the time of the Scortish Cup final we were running on empty. And then Ally Maxwell between the sticks...

Pretty sure we wrapped up the title with a few games to go and mentally went on our holidays. Couldn’t get any form
Back for cup final defeat. A lot of injuries that season and hangover from the season before. 2-0 home and 3-0 away to tims was season after.

The pitch that season didn't help. I'm sure it got a disease and ended up having to be dug up completely and relaid from scratch.

It was virtually brown by about March.

The pitch that season didn't help. I'm sure it got a disease and ended up having to be dug up completely and relaid from scratch.

It was virtually brown by about March.

Ally Maxwell didn't help either.

We won almost because there were no others takers. The Yahoos were still a mess and Aberdeen’s bubble was just about burst, although they did finish runners up in the end.

Motherwell were our closest challengers for most of the season, IIRC, and no one was seriously concerned about them.

The following season wasn’t much better, but at least we did have the Great Dane to marvel at.

It definitely was a sluggish season. The season before knackered a few players. McCoist was still recovering from his broken leg, Mccall needed a hernia op, Goram needed a knee op. It felt like some guys were running on empty that season.

Hateley was sensational, the big Dunc signing definitely lit a fire under his arse. Dunc never really got a look in because of him. Durie made an impact when he signed around Oct/Nov time. Beating the tims on new year day was a great memory from that season.

Really bad end to the season. Finished off with the Scottish Cup final loss.

Pretty sure we wrapped up the title with a few games to go and mentally went on our holidays. Couldn’t get any form
Back for cup final defeat. A lot of injuries that season and hangover from the season before. 2-0 home and 3-0 away to tims was season after.
1-2 and 1-1 were the tims scores at Ibrox.

based on the final league table, can you imagine if FF had existed then? bearing in mind what you see in match threads nowadays :D

It definitely was a sluggish season. The season before knackered a few players. McCoist was still recovering from his broken leg, Mccall needed a hernia op, Goram needed a knee op. It felt like some guys were running on empty that season.

Hateley was sensational, the big Dunc signing definitely lit a fire under his arse. Dunc never really got a look in because of him. Durie made an impact when he signed around Oct/Nov time. Beating the tims on new year day was a great memory from that season.

Really bad end to the season. Finished off with the Scottish Cup final loss.

With hindsight it was a bad idea to spend the transfer budget on a striker when the rest of the squad was crying out for reinforcements.

I know the three foreigner rule was still in effect but £4m or thereabouts could've gotten us (for example) Alan McLaren, Stephen Wright and either Durie or someone like Scott Booth/Eoin Jess to relieve the burden of the squad.

If McSwegan stayed that summer I think he'd have chipped in with a decent number of goals alongside Hateley as well.

Hateley without question carried the team that year Under threat from Motherwell then Aberdeen for large spells that season

With hindsight it was a bad idea to spend the transfer budget on a striker when the rest of the squad was crying out for reinforcements.

I know the three foreigner rule was still in effect but £4m or thereabouts could've gotten us (for example) Alan McLaren, Stephen Wright and either Durie or someone like Scott Booth/Eoin Jess to relieve the burden of the squad.

If McSwegan stayed that summer I think he'd have chipped in with a decent number of goals alongside Hateley as well.
Was talking with someone about this very subject the other week and said that if we’d signed McLaren and Durie at the start of the season we’d have fared much better, the previous season took far too much out the players.

one of my abiding memories is being at the infamous Dundee Utd game at Ibrox where after 25 mins we were 3-0 down and both CH’s had been hooked.

Losing to Levski Sofia in the 1st round of the European cup cast a long shadow over the season after the previous season.

We were rank but in fairness a lot of players were out injured due to the exploits of the year before catching up.

It seemed to carry over into the next season with us having that horrible run of 3 defeats in a row to Aek, celtic and Falkirk at the end of August. It was probably the only time during his 1st spell that Walter's position was questioned by the media and support as some has felt he had gone as far as he could and failure in Europe would be his downfall.

Was talking with someone about this very subject the other week and said that if we’d signed McLaren and Durie at the start of the season we’d have fared much better, the previous season took far too much out the players.

one of my abiding memories is being at the infamous Dundee Utd game at Ibrox where after 25 mins we were 3-0 down and both CH’s had been hooked.

Two back to back 44 game seasons between 91/93 as well as the European Championships in 1992 for Gough, McPherson, Goram, McCall and McCoist. Then 93/94 was another mammoth 44 game season. At some point it was going to take it's toll. The players were running on empty.

I'm sure in 93/94 the only ones from the 'first XI' who didn't go under the knife at some point was Hateley and Huistra.

Was the Hampden away games that a few posters have mentioned against bheggars not the following season 94/95 (7 in a row)? Not 93/94 as we played them at beggardome. 0-0 big duncs debut? And the famous 4-2 New Year’s Day win.
Remember Maxwell had a howler against beggars at Ibrox.

Last edited:
Not our best season. The Mhanks were hopeless and Aberdeen and Motherwell were the main challengers. We stuttered to clinch the league, getting beaten at Easter Rd, but far superior gd meant it was almost impossible to catch us, then on the Saturday getting beat by Killie but other results went our way. There were still a few games to go, but we totally switched off and, for me, couldn't raise our game for the cup final and that cost us back to back trebles, although Ally Maxwell and Dave McPherson were also culpable for the only goal.

Losing to Levski Sofia in the 1st round of the European cup cast a long shadow over the season after the previous season.

We were rank but in fairness a lot of players were out injured due to the exploits of the year before catching up.

It seemed to carry over into the next season with us having that horrible run of 3 defeats in a row to Aek, celtic and Falkirk at the end of August. It was probably the only time during his 1st spell that Walter's position was questioned by the media and support as some has felt he had gone as far as he could and failure in Europe would be his downfall.

A proper ,modern European club -which we were supposed to be -would have parted ways with Walter at the end of 94/95.

It seems closer because we downed tools for the last 5 games of the season.

Failure to sign a right back to replace Stevens and no one up front with Hately until Durie arrived really affected the first half of the season.

It’s a small gene pool in Scotland but we should have refreshened the squad in the summer

After the great season before, it was always going to be a tough ask to match it! Going out of europe early was a big disappointment.
Big Duncan's debut at the piggery, when he warmed up in front of the jungle! And as he was the last player leaving before ko, he jogged to centre circle & applauded the Rangers end! Class!
The New Year win was a highlight!
That last away game at Kilmarnock, seem to remember Hateley playing centre half?? Also last match at Rugby Park before redevelopment?

]
It seems closer because we downed tools for the last 5 games of the season.

Failure to sign a right back to replace Stevens and no one up front with Hately until Durie arrived really affected the first half of the season.

It’s a small gene pool in Scotland but we should have refreshened the squad in the summer
Edit: made an arse of this.

Last edited:
During 9IR it was not uncommon to lose 3/4 games before Xmas.

I guess the season on this thread is the one I remember as our tactics being ,'launch the ball to Hateley'.

It worked!
It worked so well that the team sometimes continued with it even after Hateley had left!

Back