Season 93/94

Ah bollocks, I thought he came straight off the CL win. Apologies!.

None needed mate.

You're on to something though. We transfer listed Stevens in May 1994, sold him in September 1994 and didn't buy a replacement until late January 1995 when we got Cleland. We had at various points Boli, Moore, McLaren, McCall, Murray and Wishart playing there.

Stevens broke his foot in May 1992 and was never the same player in terms of fitness. That's nearly three years without either a fully fit or natural right back.

None needed mate.

You're on to something though. We transfer listed Stevens in May 1994, sold him in September 1994 and didn't buy a replacement until late January 1995 when we got Cleland. We had at various points Boli, Moore, McLaren, McCall, Murray and Wishart playing there.

Stevens broke his foot in May 1992 and was never the same player in terms of fitness. That's nearly three years without either a fully fit or natural right back.
Well to play devils advocate, Stevens at the time was obviously one of the best (if not the best) right backs in Britain.

However, he fills a foreign registration slot & at the time are we getting a foreign right back as good as Stevens?.

If not then no use buying a stop gap foreign one, then have a look at Scottish right backs at the time. Were any of the ones around good enough to be a regular Rangers right back?.

If not then maybe it explains why Walter preferred to shoe in a steady-eddy he already had at his disposal, even then the replacement is Alec Clelland who isn’t Gary Stevens.

Thoughts?.

Well to play devils advocate, Stevens at the time was obviously one of the best (if not the best) right backs in Britain.

However, he fills a foreign registration slot & at the time are we getting a foreign right back as good as Stevens?.

If not then no use buying a stop gap foreign one, then have a look at Scottish right backs at the time. Were any of the ones around good enough to be a regular Rangers right back?.

If not then maybe it explains why Walter preferred to shoe in a steady-eddy he already had at his disposal, even then the replacement is Alec Clelland who isn’t Gary Stevens.

Thoughts?.

Stephen Wright was bought in 1995 to be the long term answer only to succumb to the most Rangers of injuries - the cruciate ligament .

Here's one for you...there was a right back who moved to an SPL team in early October 1995 who allegedly held off signing for his new team for 2 days because he got his agent to see if Walter was interested.

Jackie McNamara.

A proper ,modern European club -which we were supposed to be -would have parted ways with Walter at the end of 94/95.
It was probably because he had a good working relationship with Murray and the onset of going for 9iar at the end of that season probably stopped us from going down that route with Walter.

Stephen Wright was bought in 1995 to be the long term answer only to succumb to the most Rangers of injuries - the cruciate ligament .

Here's one for you...there was a right back who moved to an SPL team in early October 1995 who allegedly held off signing for his new team for 2 days because he got his agent to see if Walter was interested.

Jackie McNamara.
Well, at the time was he a better prospect than Stephen Wright?. (genuinely curious).

IIRC Wright had Scotland caps by then, not sure about the bold Jackie?

Well, at the time was he a better prospect than Stephen Wright?. (genuinely curious).

Wright was the better prospect for sure but got injured a month later. McNamara, for all we laugh at him, went to them and had a cracking season.

I think if he was still at Dunfermline a month later we pull the trigger and buy him.

Just googled 93/94, can’t believe Presley played 29 times.

I knew Murray was one of Walters “can play anywhere” type guys but surprised Presley was that involved.

Also surprised Coisty played 28 games & scored 11.

I knew he played a few before the cup final but would never have guessed he ended up playing that much.

I was young then but wasn’t there a perception we were running out of steam last couple months of the 92/93 season? The results in the last few weeks of that season don’t look great.
It’s an interesting one... the 92/93 season ended well with the Treble but Rangers toiled to a lot of victories in the latter stages of the campaign. The defeat at the Piggery in March was one where Rangers looked to be running on empty.

I maintain that the football played in 1991/92 was far superior to the following season. Rangers set up to camp out around the opponents penalty area and squeeze away until weaknesses were exploited. The attacking fullbacks on each side of the pitch created mobility as well and other teams were just overwhelmed because they couldn’t defend against all the routes to goal.
The start of 92/93 was in the same manner but after Christmas it was taking a physical toll to have been playing like that for 18 months (longer for some when you consider that Souness’ team in 1990 first adopted the approach of speed throughout the team).

Unpopular opinion coming but I think that Walter Smith finding that avoiding defeat in the Champions League group led to coming so close to qualifying really changed his approach and the adoption of a safety first attitude that would come to characterise much of the next 5 years or so was critical.
It became about playing it safe and capitalising on the opportunities that would inevitably be created during a match. Ian Ferguson & Stuart McCall became more defensive in their game than the players who you saw roam forwards and notch a few goals up to about 1994 and the reliance on the likes of Hateley, Laudrup and then Gascoigne to go and have moments where they made something happen became a feature.

It’s understandable though - the pressure to keep the run going to NIAR was building each season and not losing the run became a dominating theme in itself.

It is mildly amusing to hear people losing their minds recently because Rangers draw a game, or leave it late (Motherwell at home)... the NIAR run was predominately made up of Rangers slugging it out and getting a 2:0 win where the only things you would remember from the match were the goals.
There were some cracking victories along the way of course but you would think Rangers played exhibition football every week to listen to some folk.

Last edited:
None needed mate.

And in between those dates we played him at left centre half v Athens o_O

And in between those dates we played him at left centre half v Athens o_O
Peak Walter there, I can at least understand Dunc left midfield for the Lee McCulloch style route 1.

I’m getting uneasy thinking about Tav (for comparison) playing left centre back.

Some of our results that season were honking. I remember I could hardly believe we were beaten 2-1 by Kilmarnock at Ibrox.

Thoughts?.
Steven’s was injured playing for England in a friendly ahead of Euro 92 and I think in the coming season he would have been one of the “foreigners” for Europe.

In the summer of 1992, Smith had a defensive until of Goram, Robertson, Gough, Brown & Stevens. McPherson then came in to switch between rightback and centre half. Kutznetsov was in the squad but never really established himself as a first choice pick under Smith.
In midfield it was a choice between McCall, Ferguson, Spackman, Durrant, Steven, Huistra, Miko, Gordon.
Up front it was essentially McCoist & Hateley with Spencer & McSwegan in reserve and being blooded gradually.

Rangers’ foreigners in 1992/93 were usually Hateley and then any two from Steven, Gordon, Miko & Huistra. The Trevor Steven who came back from France was sadly not quite the player who has left a Ibrox the previous summer though and once the injuries started then he never really got clear of them for an extended period.

I think if Gary Stevens isn’t injured then it’s him & Hateley starting every European match and then one flair player in midfield.

Steven’s was injured playing for England in a friendly ahead of Euro 92 and I think in the coming season he would have been one of the “foreigners” for Europe.

In the summer of 1992, Smith had a defensive until of Goram, Robertson, Gough, Brown & Stevens. McPherson then came in to switch between rightback and centre half. Kutznetsov was in the squad but never really established himself as a first choice pick under Smith.
In midfield it was a choice between McCall, Ferguson, Spackman, Durrant, Steven, Huistra, Miko, Gordon.
Up front it was essentially McCoist & Hateley with Spencer & McSwegan in reserve and being blooded gradually.

Rangers’ foreigners in 1992/93 were usually Hateley and then any two from Steven, Gordon, Miko & Huistra. The Trevor Steven who came back from France was sadly not quite the player who has left a Ibrox the previous summer though and once the injuries started then he never really got clear of them for an extended period.

I think if Gary Stevens isn’t injured then it’s him & Hateley starting every European match and then one flair player in midfield.

All fit, the three that would start as foreigners were Hateley, Steven and Stevens IMO.

Huistra next in line. Miko's card was already marked in terms of effort by Walter.

McNamara was a superb at Dunfermline - attacking all the time and would have fitted into that Rangers side very well.

Wright was very good as well though, just really unfortunate with the injury.
The key to the 352 that was so popular at the time was fullbacks who pushed forward and Rangers would have had than in abundance with Wright and Robertson.

Walter was a long time admirer of Stephen Wright.
Seem to remember was Gianluca Vialli to effectively end his career with a bad tackle from behind in the 0-4 defeat in the CL game at Ibrox.

Where & how that title was won is always a debate. I definitely remember being at Easter Road on a Tuesday night and Rangers losing but being hailed as Champions on the radio on the journey back. There’s also a school of thought that it wasn’t won until the following Saturday at Rugby Park.

I was at Easter rd aswell mate. Those crazy benches behind the goal.

I remember it as us being declared champions on the way home aswell, due to a really late goal elsewhere.

Easily the most forgettable season of the 9, that's for sure.

All fit, the three that would start as foreigners were Hateley, Steven and Stevens IMO.

Huistra next in line. Miko's card was already marked in terms of effort by Walter.
Yep - I’m surprised that Miko had the contract extension(s?) under Smith because he was never a key player who was going to start the majority of matches.

Steven was certainly trusted by Smith and gave you a bit of flexibility by being able to play out wide or through the middle.

Yep - I’m surprised that Miko had the contract extension(s?) under Smith because he was never a key player who was going to start the majority of matches.

Steven was certainly trusted by Smith and gave you a bit of flexibility by being able to play out wide or through the middle.

Also ended up playing (when fit) the right wing back role in 95/96 and 96/97 when Smith favourted the 3-5-2

Miko barely kicked a ball from 1994/95 onwards.

Also ended up playing (when fit) the right wing back role in 95/96 and 96/97 when Smith favourted the 3-5-2

Miko barely kicked a ball from 1994/95 onwards.
Miko seemed to come into him own in matches once the league was won - especially against Motherwell.. he absolutely tortured Motherwell over the years.

Miko seemed to come into him own in matches once the league was won - especially against Motherwell.. he absolutely tortured Motherwell over the years.

Single handedly put them out the cup in his first season with a double.

To be fair to Miko (could be totally wrong) did he not fall foul to Walters fondness of playing people out of position.

An attacking midfielder who doesn’t really move, shouldn’t be playing on the left of midfield which is where I’m sure I’ve seen him on the 9IAR DVD’s.

As I said, memory could be playing tricks on me!.

Side point - am I correct in saying he’s our highest ever placed player on the Ballon D’or?.

Laudrup came 5th in 92, but think Miko came 3rd when the USSR were awesome in the 80s?.

To be fair to Miko (could be totally wrong) did he not fall foul to Walters fondness of playing people out of position.

An attacking midfielder who doesn’t really move, shouldn’t be playing on the left of midfield which is where I’m sure I’ve seen him on the 9IAR DVD’s.

Side point - am I correct in saying he’s our highest ever placed player on the Ballon D’or?.

Laudrup came 5th in 92, but think Miko came 3rd when the USSR were awesome in the 80s?.

Gazza and Miko both came fourth.

Gazza in 90, Miko in 88.

Expectations for Miko might have been a bit too high after he tried to score from the half way line on his debut. :)

Left midfield was seen as some kind of sweet spot for your flair player in Scottish football during the 80s & 90s... regardless of favoured foot or position!

Anyone who could do something fancy was shunted out there to await the ball to be walloped at them so they could, “do their stuff”.
Then everyone moaned when they didn’t track back and defend.

Don’t really think so. I think Scotland’s right back at the time was still Stewart McKimmie, and there was no way we would sign him.

I was in S1 and was clearly delighted to win the title and couldn’t understand why my dad was so unhappy - he thought 9iar was in danger.

Left midfield was seen as some kind of sweet spot for your flair player in Scottish football during the 80s & 90s... regardless of favoured foot or position!

Anyone who could do something fancy was shunted out there to await the ball to be walloped at them so they could, “do their stuff”.
Then everyone moaned when they didn’t track back and defend.
Last line makes me chuckle, how very Scottish.

It’s an approach Walter took into his second spell too, you’d often find Fleck, Naismith, Novo or Lafferty out there.

The most comparable to the Miko patter would of course be Charlie Adam, incredibly talented football player but can’t move.

Fck it, play him left midfield :))

——————

I wonder though, If Miko was a couple of years younger then he probably would have flourished at the tip of a 3-5-2 midfield.

With McCall & Fergie doing his running, a bit like Gazza. Although, Gazza was rapid when he eventually got going but I mean there would be less defensive responsibility on Miko.

Last line makes me chuckle, how very Scottish.

It’s an approach Walter took into his second spell too, you’d often find Fleck, Naismith, Novo or Lafferty out there.

The most comparable to the Miko patter would of course be Charlie Adam, incredibly talented football player but can’t move.

Fck it, play him left midfield :))

——————

I wonder though, If Miko was a couple of years younger then he probably would have flourished at the tip of a 3-5-2 midfield.
I know one of Neil McCann’s cousins and met him at a do at her house while he was playing with Hearts and he was great, chatting away about football.. he spelled out the trouble of being the footballer in a Scottish side of the time.

He was always being told by coaches, teammates, friends and family that he should “do more” with the ball but as he put it, “I need the bloody thing at my feet to do something with it”.

He had to chase all over the pitch trying to get the ball and as a consequence, the odd time when someone launched it vaguely towards the left of midfield and he wasn’t there waiting for it then he was booed by the crowd.

I think I upset his family (all Bheggars & Morton fans) when I suggested that he would be appreciated a lot more at Ibrox... I like to think that I put the idea in his head:cool:

It’s an interesting one... the 92/93 season ended well with the Treble but Rangers toiled to a lot of victories in the latter stages of the campaign. The defeat at the Piggery in March was one where Rangers looked to be running on empty.

I maintain that the football played in 1991/92 was far superior to the following season. Rangers set up to camp out around the opponents penalty area and squeeze away until weaknesses were exploited. The attacking fullbacks on each side of the pitch created mobility as well and other teams were just overwhelmed because they couldn’t defend against all the routes to goal.
The start of 92/93 was in the same manner but after Christmas it was taking a physical toll to have been playing like that for 18 months (longer for some when you consider that Souness’ team in 1990 first adopted the approach of speed throughout the team).

Unpopular opinion coming but I think that Walter Smith finding that avoiding defeat in the Champions League group led to coming so close to qualifying really changed his approach and the adoption of a safety first attitude that would come to characterise much of the next 5 years or so was critical.
It became about playing it safe and capitalising on the opportunities that would inevitably be created during a match. Ian Ferguson & Stuart McCall became more defensive in their game than the players who you saw roam forwards and notch a few goals up to about 1994 and the reliance on the likes of Hateley, Laudrup and the Gascoigne to go and have moments where they made something happen became a feature.

It’s understandable though - the pressure to keep the run going to NIAR was building each season and not losing the run became a dominating theme in itself.

It is mildly amusing to hear people losing their minds recently because Rangers draw a game, or leave it late (Motherwell at home)... the NIAR run was predominately made up of Rangers slugging it out and getting a 2:0 win where the only things you would remember from the match were the goals.
There were some cracking victories along the way of course but you would think Rangers played exhibition floor all every week to listen to some folk.

We played some excellent football in 91/92. I always wondered how we would had done in that group stage if we had gotten past Sparta Prague.

Back