Season 97-98

Plenty of posters have covered the why above, but as an interesting side note Bjorklund had the highest amount of appearances that season.
2-F60-EE6-C-8-D19-4498-B67-E-7-F4-A0-AF5-A42-D.jpg

There are some interesting details in there.

Cleland third highest appearances.

Gattuso playing more often than Goram, Laudrup, Gough, & Super Ally.

Negri made 40 appearances despite his notorious injury.

Laudrup only scored 5 goals, the same as Rino.

I knew that you would know why :))

Walter started giving Barry a run of games in 97/98, think he might even have played as many as 10 in a row before dropping points and he was back out the picture.

I suppose you can’t really blame Walter for going with the guys that had done him so well in the previous years.

I'm sure it was Goram's teeth.

That it went septic after his gnashers biting him is the least surprising part. :D

* Walter announced mid season he was leaving which had a detrimental effect.
* Diana died in the Paris crash just before we were due to play them and they were a shambles, Negri was on fire. We drew the rearranged match in which they scored a very late goal from a player who shouldn't have been on the park.
* Negri was a disaster after "squash".

2-F60-EE6-C-8-D19-4498-B67-E-7-F4-A0-AF5-A42-D.jpg

There are some interesting details in there.

Cleland third highest appearances.

Gattuso playing more often than Goram, Laudrup, Gough, & Super Ally.

Negri made 40 appearances despite his notorious injury.

Laudrup only scored 5 goals, the same as Rino.
Biggest thing is Snelders playing near 10 games, I genuinely was under the impression he only played 2/3 times. Am I correct in saying Niemi broke his finger at one point?

I wonder if he’d have been our number 1 that season, when you consider Goram’s form and behaviour that season.

So many sliding doors moments.

After the slaps in the face that were the 87/88 season and the 97/98 season, I was dreading 07/08… the one where we ended up in a European Final and we’re edged out in the league, having secured both cups.
Funny old game.

In terms of 97/98… we tried to bring in a raft of new players and it just didn’t work - too many of them didn’t perform as needed so you end up with McCall, Durie, McCoist et al playing a bigger part in it when they were spent.

Stuart McCaffrey went to my old school and was at Hibs at the time.. I heard from a friend of a friend that after Rangers played Hibs in a behind closed doors Lee-season match, he was saying that Rangers looked ready to annihilate everyone that season - dead strong all over the park.

The defeat against Dundee Utd in the League Cup was a sign that there was a bit of fragility that season but it wasn’t really met with any urgency.

Biggest thing is Snelders playing near 10 games, I genuinely was under the impression he only played 2/3 times. Am I correct in saying Niemi broke his finger at one point?

I wonder if he’d have been our number 1 that season, when you consider Goram’s form and behaviour that season.

In hindsight, Goram should have been replaced that summer - he was a shambles by that point.

We lost it ourselves.

Went on a good run around March time, beating Celtic and hauling ourselves above them.

We then go and lose to Aberdeen and Kilmarnock in the last run of 4 games to lose the league by two points.

Truth is we were pretty inconsistent the entire season.

In hindsight, Goram should have been replaced that summer - he was a shambles by that point.
The fact his phone sat pretty silent in the summer of 98 confirms that, I’m pretty sure he genuinely believed Advocaat was going to retain him.

League looked done and dusted by September/October time.

I think we dropped a lot of silly points over the following two months that allowed them back into contention, psychologically.

We played them five times that year and won three, lost one and drew the other. Most seasons that results in us winning the league.

This season will haunt me for the rest of my life. I was utterly obsessed with Rangers this season as a kid and was either at, listened to or watched every minute of every game under heavy stress. An awful season.

I'm too young for this season (97-98), but going with previous posts and footage I've seen from that season on YouTube, I think Gazza going in the March and Sir Walter announcing he was leaving in the October/November cost us the 10. Thinking about it, they could say the same with last year with Lennon leaving in February.

The first game at Celtic park always sticks in my mind. We where 1-0 with 10 men and Jonas Thern got the ball in their half late on. He shot from a stupid angle and they went up the park and scored. I still think if he'd ran the ball into the corner and wasted time we’d have gone on to win the league that year.

Who later went to onto form a fairly decent strike partnership with Michael Mols at Fc Utrecht!
My memory of amoruso was that he was well dodgy for his first season (May stand corrected)
Buy as I recall, took him a while to stop making mistakes.
Didn't make a start till about March. He was injured when he signed
One of a multitude of mental decisions which cost us.
Throw in the signing of Thern. As stated above Lambert would have been a far better signing.

At the time Rangers not winning the league was more upsetting than not winning 10 in a row, 9 was always the target. Seems strange to say that now.

Even so, it was disappointing but the summer of 98 was a great time to be a Rangers fan with Advocaat signing a new team.

I'm too young for this season (97-98), but going with previous posts and footage I've seen from that season on YouTube, I think Gazza going in the March and Sir Walter announcing he was leaving in the October/November cost us the 10. Thinking about it, they could say the same with last year with Lennon leaving in February.
... well they could say that, but doubt it
Think they hate neil (gies a job yosser hughes) Lennon as much as the rest of us

You'll be too young for that reference also

But truth of the matter is we were fecking awesome. Unbeaten

Think they've already blamed the scottish government for their covid policies.

Like ye, that was it

Was absolutely gutted at the time. Being only 11, I had no memory of us NOT winning the league. As a kid you quickly get over it and success would quickly follow again under Advocaat. The league flag was on "loan for a year" as i recall the chat.

Looking back now though with an older head, its unbelievable given the financial advantage we had, that we lost the championship to a team with a front line of Darren Jackson and Harold Brattbakk! The fact we could barely string 2 wins together after January, yet still took it down to the last day tells you all you need to know. They were a bang average outfit.

Don't look back in anger as the song goes.

Niemi broke the same finger twice and was out for months

His debut against Celtic was one of his best games for the club, he came on for an injured Petric.

You could argue Amo never really cut out his mistakes to be fair, but they became less disastrous under big Eck.

He got injured in a friendly IIRC, signed off the back of marking Ronaldo out of a European semi final - after he had verbally agreed Manchester United made a last ditch bid to sign him, offered more money but Amo didn’t want to betray Walter.

The surgeon rangers were using at the time used Amo as a guinea pig for a new style of operation, it went tits up and meant Amo had to get a secondary surgery with a surgeon he trusted.

I don’t remember him doing anything in that game, other than thundering a ridiculously good freekick, from what felt like the half way line.

The first game at Celtic park always sticks in my mind. We where 1-0 with 10 men and Jonas Thern got the ball in their half late on. He shot from a stupid angle and they went up the park and scored. I still think if he'd ran the ball into the corner and wasted time we’d have gone on to win the league that year.
All ifs and buts. It felt like it was fate we’d botch that season. Even when that lot were dropping points we’d balls it up. If you can’t beat Kilmarnock at home in the last home game of the season to win the biggest championship in the club’s history (at the time) then you’re not worthy of the title. Hand on heart Celtic wanted to stop 10 more than we wanted it. That’s how it felt anyway

Aging tired squad, Goram an unfit mess.
Goram’s physical state annoys me looking back. The hubris was absolutely ripping out of that squad. The chance for immortality and Negri decided to drill Porrini’s wife (allegedly), Gazza was on the sauce big time and Laudrup had all but chucked it

Ye I lived in Largs at the time
Ally, gaza and Goram and 5 bellies were no strangers to the pubs at that time

Last edited:
Old Firm game, possibly New Year and if we won I think we went 7 clear (potentially same as this one?) alas last minute equaliser for them

I think anyway maybe someone with better memories will correct me

But it was 2 bad teams that season it was a game of pass the parcel until one got over the line - them
I cant remember the points difference at the time but i always look back at that game as where we threw it away and i still blame Jonas Thern. He had a good chance to score in the last minute but basically passed it back to their goalie and they punt it up the park and score. A player of his experience as well, he should have scored but if not scoring you hit it hard enough so it goes into row z or you take it to the corner.

Laudrups head was already at Stamford Bridge
Gazza had hit the drink big time
Goram was nowhere near fit enough
Durie could hardly score
Should have signed Lambert
Should have replaced Walter in October
Amoruso injured
Negri's eye

Constantly playing Durie who scored 4 goals all season didn't help. Ally should have played more often. Niemi should have played until Goram smartened himself up. Barry Ferguson should have played more.

Just a car crash of a season.

After the slaps in the face that were the 87/88 season and the 97/98 season, I was dreading 07/08… the one where we ended up in a European Final and we’re edged out in the league, having secured both cups.
Funny old game.

In terms of 97/98… we tried to bring in a raft of new players and it just didn’t work - too many of them didn’t perform as needed so you end up with McCall, Durie, McCoist et al playing a bigger part in it when they were spent.

Stuart McCaffrey went to my old school and was at Hibs at the time.. I heard from a friend of a friend that after Rangers played Hibs in a behind closed doors Lee-season match, he was saying that Rangers looked ready to annihilate everyone that season - dead strong all over the park.

The defeat against Dundee Utd in the League Cup was a sign that there was a bit of fragility that season but it wasn’t really met with any urgency.

That pre season we beat ayr 11-0 or something mental like that, years later i played in same team as the keeper for Ayr that day.

He told me that after that game he was telling everyone Rangers had a chance of Champions league would romp league and Steele Steenas would be player of year haha.

First year since I started following rangers and getting into football that we won nothing. I remember walking out of that killie game in years as a 12 year old!

This season will haunt me for the rest of my life. I was utterly obsessed with Rangers this season as a kid and was either at, listened to or watched every minute of every game under heavy stress. An awful season.
Same it was the first season I started going regularly and have weird memories of going to beam back games in the freezing cold and not wanting to tell my dad that my wee brother had fell asleep . Worst thing was going home after the last game from a beam back with that lot rampaging around central station

Think they signed Lambert for 1.75 million in the November. I'd guess that if the rumour that Daniel Levy & Enic pulled the trigger on Walter going, he was told that he would not be signing anyone.

I'm sure Advocaat had Lambert on trial at PSV in '96 before Dortmund signed him. I'd say Advocaat would have loved the Lambert that came back from Germany. He went backwards when O'Neil came in.

A bridge too far.
Walter situation
Laudrup situation
Gazza situation
Goram situation
Negri situation

Quite simply,we couldn't cope with the above.....but we came damn close!

I was 11 at the time. Ally Mccoist almost dragged us over the line, if some of the supporting cast had bothered to chip in we’d have done it.

We lost it ourselves beat the pedos in old firm and with 4 games left lost 2 of them.

They didn't stop it we lost it.

It was a season too far for most of the 9iar team and none of those brought in lived up to expectations, except for half a season of Negri. There was no consistency. Towards the end of the season it looked like we could do it when we beat the Tims 2 weeks running and Thern had finally showed what he could do. Then we lose to 2 poor teams, Sheep and Killie, denting our league chances and Thern succumbed to injury, that and Albertz getting sent off in the last league game cost us the cup.
I don't thunk Gazza going had any influence, he was past it that season.

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking the players brought their kids on the pitch with them before the kickoff in that Kilmarnock game or am I havering?

All ifs and buts. It felt like it was fate we’d botch that season. Even when that lot were dropping points we’d balls it up. If you can’t beat Kilmarnock at home in the last home game of the season to win the biggest championship in the club’s history (at the time) then you’re not worthy of the title. Hand on heart Celtic wanted to stop 10 more than we wanted it. That’s how it felt anyway
Agree
From memory we wanted to match 9
Never had a game plan or care in the world for 10..
But by God, they'd be immortal if they had

But it was 2 bad teams that season it was a game of pass the parcel until one got over the line - them
Yeah that’s how I remember it. Hearts probably deserve the ‘what if’ treatment more. They only won 4 out of the 18 points available in the run up to the final day. Just 12 would have been enough for them to win the title.

Kilmarnock game was 0-1. Ally Mitchell scored deep into injury time.

If we had beaten Kilmarnock on the Saturday it would've given us 72 points. Celtic had 70 points but still had two games left (away to Dunfermline the next day then home to St Johnstone)

They should've won it on the Sunday and were leading with 8 minutes to go only to concede an equaliser to take it to the final day.

At the time there was no guarantee we'd win that final game at Tannadice either. United had beaten us 4 times in our last 7 games. Twice at Ibrox, twice at Tannadice.
For me it came down to that game vs Killie. We were on a high after the back to back victories against them. I was in hospitality - what a serious let down. Was at tannadice and Parkhead for the sco cup final.

3 hugely disappointing games yet I recall a sense of stubborn pride leaving Parkhead. We applauded Hearts and we didn’t wait long for the bounce back- if you forget the first half vs Shelbourne B-)

“Every day the bucket a-go a well, one day the bottom a-go drop out.”
— Bob Marley

From what I've been told the season was just one too many for the players at the time
The old firm that got postponed due to Diana's death was a sliding doors moment looking at it.

Had we played them we would've been 6 points ahead within 3 games or something like that and I think we would've had a game in hand too. Would've most likely killed them psychologically

Draw at home in February v. Dunfermline. I still have nightmares! Honestly, we must have had over 15 good chances before they went down the park and equalised.

Back