Season Ticket Refund (Not Us)

bud_light

Official Ticketer
Got an email yesterday from Carlisle United to say that all season ticket holders are entitled to a full refund on this year's season ticket.
The club are starting to prepare for a season with no fans sadly and that's even after they held a successful trial with a 1000 supporters last week.
The figures they are quoting about the finances they need to see them through the season are very worrying.This really could be the end of an awful lot of clubs unless the government helps.

Got an email yesterday from Carlisle United to say that all season ticket holders are entitled to a full refund on this year's season ticket.
The club are starting to prepare for a season with no fans sadly and that's even after they held a successful trial with a 1000 supporters last week.
The figures they are quoting about the finances they need to see them through the season are very worrying.This really could be the end of an awful lot of clubs unless the government helps.
They not offering a VST?

If the finances are so bleak then surely most supporters wouldn’t take the offer of a refund

Many people's financial may be just as bleak since they paid for them though. As much as we all love our clubs if you've been laid off since paying for it you may need the money back.
That’s a given but I think most would be ok

Are they not able to offer free home game video streams as alternative? I wonder if Rangers could help them out in some by Sharing out their streaming platform to them as a gesture or even if the premier League teams could. Always a soft spot for Carlisle.

Many people's financial may be just as bleak since they paid for them though. As much as we all love our clubs if you've been laid off since paying for it you may need the money back.
I don't think that would account for too many.
Renewals for all clubs were slap bang in the middle of lockdown/furlough.
Certainly we knew what we were signing up for. If you couldn't afford it you shouldn't have done it.

Obviously some folk's situation will have worryingly worsened, but I wouldn't expect that to be "many" as you said.

I certainly hope we don't have large numbers seeking reimbursement.

Are they not able to offer free home game video streams as alternative? I wonder if Rangers could help them out in some by Sharing out their streaming platform to them as a gesture or even if the premier League teams could. Always a soft spot for Carlisle.
In an ideal world the cash rich clubs at the top could filter a bit of money down

They are members of ifollow so I don't know why they don't get the games for free. I get accy ones for free by phoning the club each game for a code until we get back in if we do this season. My season ticket works out less than the tenner for the stream though so maybe it is better for Carlisle fans to refund and pay the tenner

In an ideal world the cash rich clubs at the top could filter a bit of money down
Most probably spend what they get in and then some. Would we do the same for the spfl as we have a vastly greater income than most?

Ive never understood why we haven’t used them to blood our youth in and had a link its 1hr10min by train slightly more by car they wouldn’t even need to move house

Great little traditional club

If teams can afford to pay ridiculous money for players they can affors to put money into a pot to support lower league teams

Would like to hope they don't.Their main issue though is they only have around 1500 season ticket holders.The vast majority of matchday income is from walk up supporters on the day
I get to Brunton Park around half a dozen times a season typically;
the number of match day sales/prepaid collects is at least equal the same number of season holders.
Quite sad the club is missing out; however the £1m sale of Branthwaite to Everton in January would appear to be timely(!) ; though that cash won`t last forever.

Southampton are refunding season ticket holders for each game that is played with no crowd. They promise to refund within 14 days and that was all part of the terms and conditions when season tickets went on sale.

Southampton are refunding season ticket holders for each game that is played with no crowd. They promise to refund within 14 days and that was all part of the terms and conditions when season tickets went on sale.
A luxury for premier league teams.

The UK government is telling the premier league to help out the lower division clubs before any tax payer backed government payout. Quite right. Can you imagine the thought of our taxes tapping the likes of Nottingham shitey Forrest.

TBH the money in English football personally I don't think the government should be intervening. FA should be helping member clubs imo.
Thats a good point. Ridiculous money down there. Let's see if the noise made about looking after grass roots football and if they really mean it. Give some of the obscene amounts of tv money over to lower leagues from the top 2 leagues.

Man utd season ticket holders getting their money back on a game by game basis

Last edited:
We have to find that World War 2 spirit again. Yes it has to be safe but I think we are being held back by some willows who are running the roost. Let's put this into some sort of perspective I mean ffs 1000 home fans in a stadium of 50000? that's only 250 in each stand! Throw in carefully instructed entry times from an hour before and no entry if late. How hard can it be?

If the finances are so bleak then surely most supporters wouldn’t take the offer of a refund

It depends mate. Your average fan may find themselves welcome of the refund as things change in personal circumstances.

A lot of folk, due to the emotional attachment, may well just be happy with the gesture to refund and knock it back? Hopefully not word it as grudged and difficult as the offer we offered our season ticket holders.

We have to find that World War 2 spirit again. Yes it has to be safe but I think we are being held back by some willows who are running the roost. Let's put this into some sort of perspective I mean ffs 1000 home fans in a stadium of 50000? that's only 250 in each stand! Throw in carefully instructed entry times from an hour before and no entry if late. How hard can it be?

In dealing with the general public/football fans then it could be pretty difficult.

Absolutely, it happens every game :))

But.....things are even stricter now and in a crowd, football fans can't cope with being 'telt whit tae dae'.
Unfortunately when it comes to football fans any logic goes out of the window. How many people hit the bevvy first thing in the morning normally but a game comes along and we need a bevvy.

Also the argument re pubs and restaurants doesn't work as most customers are local whereas football fans often travel from all over.

If Boris hadn't called a halt to it I'd have been at accy today instead of watching it on TV with a few beers

But would the fans be as inclined to put the money into the club knowing it was to help other clubs not buy new players?
Im not talking millions but a wee bit to help or at least "sponsor" a couple of teams covid tests.
My main point is i cant see the government giving fa money when the likes of Man U are spending £70m odd on Sancho.
If anything covid should be an opportunity to hit reset and look at the games governance.

Im not talking millions but a wee bit to help or at least "sponsor" a couple of teams covid tests.
My main point is i cant see the government giving fa money when the likes of Man U are spending £70m odd on Sancho.
If anything covid should be an opportunity to hit reset and look at the games governance.
Don’t get me wrong, as an Accy Stanley season ticket holder I would be fine with that but as a Rangers season ticket holder no way would I want to fund teams who hate us.

Don’t get me wrong, as an Accy Stanley season ticket holder I would be fine with that but as a Rangers season ticket holder no way would I want to fund teams who hate us.
I get that and fully agree. Bit with big clubs splashing the cash its then difficult to ask for a bail out. I do think SPFL board could be done away with saving hundreds of thousands of pounds. That would help the wee teams.
One thing I have thought about going into winter is move games to 12om kick offs. Saves having to use floodlights. Maybe not a lot of saving but every penny counts

We can afford to pay millions for Kent so should we as well?
Kent wasn't bought wit this season's money. Anyway I have paid for mine knowing what the situation was and although money a bit tight no games means money I would have spent can be saved towards next season.

Kent wasn't bought wit this season's money. Anyway I have paid for mine knowing what the situation was and although money a bit tight no games means money I would have spent can be saved towards next season.
We still spent millions on players so would you be happy if we had to pay to help out lower league teams instead?

A lot of lower league English clubs are seriously mismanaged, thats not on the taxpayer. Clubs in the championship are spending over 100% of their revenue on wages alone, yet run cap in hand for a government bailout. The same clubs who are opposed to the EFL salary caps. You've got to laugh.

English football needs a boot to the stones to reign it in a bit. It's been coming for a long time. Well run clubs with passionate supports will be here long after covid.

Here's a way to solve financial issues for clubs lower down the ladder. Look at the way the Chinese fa (whatever they are called) do it. If you sign a player from abroad you pay a tax to the FA to reinvest in Chinese youth players. What if the FA and even the SFA put a temporary tax on transfers to allow the money to be cycled into the lower leagues to keep teams afloat. No massive impact on top flight teams and keeps the doors open further down the ladder. Obviously not suggesting the 100% tax like in China... Maybe like a 5-10% tax....

They were talking about EPL finances on Talksport. Simon Jordan said they are revenue rich but cash poor ie they take a lot of money in but even more goes out.

I am sure he said the EPL, as a collective, lost £600million last year.

What a fucking mess that is! Folk paying through the nose for TV subscriptions and clubs still struggling for money.

When will the madness of players wages stop?

Back