Security at Ibrox - do we need more of it?

Southernlion

I arrived at Ibrox late. A beer or two in Blue Star prior to match. So I arrived at the ground just as the teams were coming out.

because I was returning to London straight after the match I had my overnight bag with me.

To my surprise no bag check, there wasn't even a steward in sight. In these days of heightened security I was quite prepared to put my personal items on display but if I had been carrying a few pounds of semtex or even a home-made nuclear bomb there could of been carnage.

Now I have been adjacent, once too adjacent, to bombs in the past and, to my mind, this was just not good enough. If anyone from Ibrox is listening this was the Govan stand.

Noticed it often at Ibrox. Not something that really bothers me but I see your point.

I arrived at Ibrox late. A beer or two in Blue Star prior to match. So I arrived at the ground just as the teams were coming out.

because I was returning to London straight after the match I had my overnight bag with me.

To my surprise no bag check, there wasn't even a steward in sight. In these days of heightened security I was quite prepared to put my personal items on display but if I had been carrying a few pounds of semtex or even a home-made nuclear bomb there could of been carnage.

Now I have been adjacent, once too adjacent, to bombs in the past and, to my mind, this was just not good enough. If anyone from Ibrox is listening this was the Govan stand.
Never mind if anyone is listening, send it to the Club

I take a rucksack into the ground with me every game and they always check it, although you can sneak things into the ground no problem if you want.

They are lazy and lax these days which is shocking given that terrorists with a rucksack is the modern way of misery and death with certain groups .

In days gone by (80s,90s) I remember my old man being searched rigourosly and all he had was a Tupperware dish with pieces for us and my brother and Capri suns .

Now it seems they just do not care a jot

I walked into the OF with a bag (that wasn’t opened up and checked, only patted down) and a motorcycle helmet.

I was walking up the the ground fully expecting them to not allow my helmet in. “Not even allowed a plastic bottle so how the fck am I going to get in with a helmet”.

Wouldn’t bank on getting in with it every time but I was running late for the game so decided to bike it in!

If you were a suicide bomber youd probably cause more fatalities outside the ground especially at the copland road end at the blue gates right after fulltime.

I dont feel unsafe at Ibrox and im guessing u got lucky that day.

If you were a suicide bomber youd probably cause more fatalities outside the ground especially at the copland road end at the blue gates right after fulltime.

I dont feel unsafe at Ibrox and im guessing u got lucky that day.
To be quite frank there was more chance of Irish Republican attack during the troubles than there is now.especially with commanders from various loyalists paramilitaries being at Ibrox on a regular basis

Take a rucksack to some games, very rarely checked.

When I had my season book in Copland Front they would ask me to leave my back in the turnstyle where the steward stands, at my own risk.

You can’t catch any if you don’t have a rod

A guy was asking on one of my previous threads on stadium improvements

“.can we get the plans for inside Ibrox “ this thread is exactly why should never be given out and never will .

Alistair Hood when we had real security would never have allowed it don’t know whom runs things these days but he was hard brass

I was in the corner of the Sandy Jardine for the aberdoom game (a bought ticket rather than a ST holder). Two guy rolled in 15 min before KO and poured a 1/2 bottle of booze into a big coke.
By the end of the game they were rat assed.
I’d be more concerned about that than OP’s concerns.
The stewards made several passes during the game and walked right past them.

Naw, theres a wee steward who runs about the MSF checking if anyone has a can or bottle and swipes it off them.

Thats enough security for me.

SRU have a maximum dimensions of bag policy for all Scotland international matches at Murrayfield. This is for security reasons (with exceptions for medical reasons).
Should Rangers consider adopting such a Policy?

This is actually quite concerning that someone can walk into Ibrox carrying a bag unchallenged. Especially in this day and age wae they wee dissident bams across the water. This needs addressing immediately imo.

A guy was asking on one of my previous threads on stadium improvements

“.can we get the plans for inside Ibrox “ this thread is exactly why should never be given out and never will .

Alistair Hood when we had real security would never have allowed it don’t know whom runs things these days but he was hard brass
Alistair hood was a prick.

Also been in plenty times with a backpack or a jacket big enough to ‘carry’ and have not been stopped or searched.
For the money we pay there should be a steward, at least one, at each gate / group of gates if that makes sense.
Been to games down south where the checks are mandatory, and abroad where there are basically security check points at matches.

My ex boss went to a NE Patriots game last year.

No bags allowed.
Even ladies handbags had to be of a size which would fit through a letterbox.
If it didn't, chuck it or no entry.
His wife had to throw hers away, apparently there were wheelie bins full of them.

We don't need more of it. We just need it done properly.

The current idea of filling the place with overpaid, old, senile ex cops, & their married lovers, & offspring is bordering on lunacy. IMO.

But who knows, maybe one of Rangers' heads of safety will contact the OP, to tell him that it was all the fault of the stewards, who all simultaneously went for an unsanctioned tea-break at the same time.

Or some such BS!.

Last edited:
Back