Senou Coulibaly

I think the link to the Elfsborg central defender Joseph okumu seems more probable but lot of unclear issues will be understood if CG does not extend his deal .this guy is OoC in summer .

Also looks like Dijon are about to be relegated so maybe this guy has option to leave if so even though he has two years on his deal .

He turns 33 in June will be 34 before the start of the season after next. 34 in the heart of our central defence when we hope to compete in the CL not for me. I still don’t see him as an adequate first choice should Goldson & Helander move on, solid squad player but not the required quality to start week in week out especially if we want to make CL/compete in the groups.

Shagger is a keeper his age has no bearing whatsoever on the ages of our outfield players.

I know they are on a different level ability wise, but some of the best CB in the world right now are 32-35

Difference for him could be that he's a first pick at huddersfield and subsequently paid £10k a week. We might say that he'll be a rotation player with us and offer him 7 or 8 grand a week. All about the boys ambition.
Which choice would be more ambitious?

At the moment, he a long time away from being as good as any the top 3.
The other 3 have played a combined 8600 mins more than Simpson for us this season

Simpson playing 23 in the league and 12 in the europa since only joining in January

how can you make that decision on such low amounts of gametime??

Sounds suspiciously like an agent getting his clients name out there to me, we really don't need anymore centre backs as it stands.

Plays in a different position so not really comparable either tbh. Davis is the exception not the rule, his style of play, quality and professionalism are why he’s still going strong with us. Could Balogun achieve the same? I guess but I doubt it. We’ll be looking for upgrade next summer on players like Balogun I’d imagine.
So a midfielder can play to 36/37 but not a centre half ? Nonsense . Saying Balogun is too old at 32 , or 33 next season , was and is a mile off . If he wasn’t fit enough he wouldn’t be here . He may well have one year left but it will be nothing to do with age .

So a midfielder can play to 36/37 but not a centre half ? Nonsense . Saying Balogun is too old at 32 , or 33 next season , was and is a mile off . If he wasn’t fit enough he wouldn’t be here . He may well have one year left but it will be nothing to do with age .

Lol ok so you think Leon Balogun is good enough at 33 years old as a first choice centre back next season should Goldson and or Helander go? In the CL? Lol you’re the one talking nonsense mate if you genuinely believe that you are in for a rude awakening should we make the group stages. I like Balogun he’s a decent enough squad player and has played his part this season but is he good enough to play week in week out and at the highest level (Champions League) as one of our first choice CB? No

Only going by his C.V that's why he is 4th choice not much to go on barely played 40 games in his career.

I'm not saying he's shite but it's not exactly much to get excited about.

I'm not writing him off btw.
Glen Kamara's CV impress you much?

Lol ok so you think Leon Balogun is good enough at 33 years old as a first choice centre back next season should Goldson and or Helander go? In the CL? Lol you’re the one talking nonsense mate if you genuinely believe that you are in for a rude awakening should we make the group stages. I like Balogun he’s a decent enough squad player and has played his part this season but is he good enough to play week in week out and at the highest level (Champions League) as one of our first choice CB? No
Mate too many hypotheticals there! IF Helander AND Goldson go? Come on now, play the game he's a solid big CB who has more than played his part in what looks to be our most successful defence in History with clean sheets and records. We also need to get in the CL and to do that Balogun will be more than competent enough to help us achieve that

The other 3 have played a combined 8600 mins more than Simpson for us this season

Simpson playing 23 in the league and 12 in the europa since only joining in January

how can you make that decision on such low amounts of gametime??
Not bringing the guy down mate, his age, expierience , settling in period, etc etc
Hence he is a long time away.
centre half normally aint a position that you hit the ground running at a new club unless your very very good or an auld heed like weir

I didn’t say any of that though did I ?

You said and I quote “ Balogun has one year left with us due to his AGE” . It is a piece of nonsense and you know it is . Many, many players , especially centre halfs , play well beyond 32 and 33 . Tying yourself in knots trying to justify it “ but McGregor’s a keeper “ then “ but Davis is a midfielder “ ffs :shh: B-D

Mate too many hypotheticals there! IF Helander AND Goldson go? Come on now, play the game he's a solid big CB who has more than played his part in what looks to be our most successful defence in History with clean sheets and records. We also need to get in the CL and to do that Balogun will be more than competent enough to help us achieve that

Fair point but there is a good chance we will lose first team players this season and thats why Gerrard is still looking at CB’s. I like Balogun don’t get me wrong he’s played his part is a history making season but we can’t stand still and Balogun for me is not solid enough for a tilt at the CL.

I didn’t say any of that though did I ?

You said and I quote “ Balogun has one year left with us due to his AGE” . It is a piece of nonsense and you know it is . Many, many players , especially centre halfs , play well beyond 32 and 33 . Tying yourself in knots trying to justify it “ but McGregor’s a keeper “ then “ but Davis is a midfielder “ ffs :shh: B-D

Ok lets wait and see if we extend Baloguns contract beyond summer 2022 :)

Balogan and Hellander both were found out in Europe. Both are perfectly good for SPL. However we need to evolve to keep ahead of them and advance in Europe.

We need to upgrade the Ch and Midfield areas or else we stagnate.

Again I never disputed that either . Nice straw man attempts though :shh:

We can agree to disagree and move on I think. I want us to keep evolving and improving a 33/34 year old Balogun for tilts at the Champions League doesn’t work for me it may for you. So yes his age would be a concern.

We can agree to disagree and move on I think. I want us to keep evolving and improving a 33/34 year old Balogun for tilts at the Champions League doesn’t work for me it may for you. So yes his age would be a concern.
And again at no point did I say it did . He may move on , he may not , but he’s not too old .

I get it you don’t think he’s too old
I don’t think, I know . He’s 32 , there have been many champions league winners aged 37 , 36 and so on and not all goalkeepers . For what it’s worth he’s made it clear he wants to finish playing in Germany , so I do think it will be his last year with us regardless .

I don’t think, I know . He’s 32 , there have been many champions league winners aged 37 , 36 and so on and not all goalkeepers . For what it’s worth he’s made it clear he wants to finish playing in Germany , so I do think it will be his last year with us regardless .

Ok

Gough & Weir

We will literally be “tracking” hundreds of players - either as direct squad replacements (if needed) or as “developments”. That’s the recruitment department’s job.

Starting against Monaco just now. Game is on BT sports and first half will finish as our game finishes.

None of our centre backs are very quick, possibly Balogun is the quickest. Our defence has been excellent in domestic football, but not good enough for the CL. I would like to see a quicker, stronger centre back brought in.

Fair point but there is a good chance we will lose first team players this season and thats why Gerrard is still looking at CB’s. I like Balogun don’t get me wrong he’s played his part is a history making season but we can’t stand still and Balogun for me is not solid enough for a tilt at the CL.
Balogun was brought in as cover and did it so well he was a first pick in many peoples eyes , he will not expect to be an automatic starter and is probably not an a huge wage so therefore the new contract made sense.

Balogun was brought in as cover and did it so well he was a first pick in many peoples eyes , he will not expect to be an automatic starter and is probably not an a huge wage so therefore the new contract made sense.

Agreed mate more than happy for him to stay another season. Said previously he’s played his part in a historic season, I like him. But moving forward with where we are hoping to go he is not a starter and as such needs replaced. It’s not a slight on him its just the way it is for me.

Bearing in mind a few of our players will be showcased at the upcoming Euros, it makes sense for us to line up potential targets/replacements.

“My dream was always to play week in, week out in the Premier League. Whether that happens, time will tell but I think for any English player that’s the dream.

“Playing in Europe against really top teams has made me realise I am good enough to play at that level.”

Can't believe more hasn't been made of these quotes.

With a year left on his deal it sounds very much like Goldson will be offski this summer.

Huge job to replace him.

Another central defender? Unless we have one leaving I cant see it.

Balogun
Goldson
Helander
Simpson
Katic
Possibly edmundson all should stil be here next season
Quality over quantity. How many of them are top drawer centre backs? Great in Scotland but we will never get past Europe last 16 with that lot. Can't be sentimental cos they've done well here. Look how easy Hibs got a run on that goal of theirs today. Ruthless and relentless.....fine by me, be ruthless and get a better centre back.

Coulibaly is under contract with DFCO until June 2023 – he is an all-action central defender with serious pace, having been clocked at travelling at 36km/h by the LFP last season.

Sounds like one of they African players that try and promote themselves on the official Rangers news feed.

Back