Serbian FA request disciplinary action against Xhaka and Shaqiri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnyloyal

Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri could be punished for their celebrations in Switzerland's World Cup win over Serbia.

The Serbian FA have confirmed they will write to FIFA to request a disciplinary after both scored.

The duo performed Albanian eagle gestures, enraging the Serbs and inflaming political tensions. Shaqiri also sported the Kosovan flag on his boots, and Albania and Kosovo flags were seen in the stadium, report the Mirror.

Xhaka's father was once jailed for campaigning for Kosovan independence, forcing the Arsenal star and his family to flee the Balkans, while Stoke's Shaqiri was born in Kosovo.

Poor taste from 2 walloper footballers. Who are they getting it right up? The fans of another team who had %^*& all to do with what happened.

I don't think they just be punished. I think everyone should just point and laugh at it.

Point is they were playing for Swirzerland not Kosovo or Albania, so their "celebrations" had no place in that game other than to noise up the Serbs. Although im not sure how you prove holding your arms over your chest is the sign of an eagle

The flag was a politicized gesture and it wouldnt surprise me if FIFA punished him. However they do play for Switzerland and given the links that country has with the sports governing bodies nothing will likely happen. However, had they been playing for Croatia say, they would get the book thrown at them

The whole thing smack of our timmy pals and their Palestinian flags

I mean it’s literally nothing like that but okay.

I have to laugh at the Serbian FA moaning about this, maybe all those war crimes their country committed wasn’t such a good idea after all?

Yep, cause that'll show the war criminals...

From what I’ve read, both players had the chance to change to Kosovo and chose not to? Regardless of the politics, scoring a goal for one country and making a solute to represent another is bizarre behaviour.

As a Switzerland fan, it must be bittersweet. Delighted your team won, but completely confused by two players who are using your country as a vehicle to push a political agenda.

From what I’ve read, both players had the chance to change to Kosovo and chose not to? Regardless of the politics, scoring a goal for one country and making a solute to represent another is bizarre behaviour.

As a Switzerland fan, it must be bittersweet. Delighted your team won, but completely confused by two players who are using your country as a vehicle to push a political agenda.

#perripricks is the way the youngsters would put it now, I believe :D

Politics have no place in football. And I would suggest people read up on the Balkan conflict before crucifying Serbia and the Serbian people. What they did with goal celebrations was inflammatory and should be punished accordingly. No one from the Serbian FA is disputing the result are they?

Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri could be punished for their celebrations in Switzerland's World Cup win over Serbia.

The Serbian FA have confirmed they will write to FIFA to request a disciplinary after both scored.

The duo performed Albanian eagle gestures, enraging the Serbs and inflaming political tensions. Shaqiri also sported the Kosovan flag on his boots, and Albania and Kosovo flags were seen in the stadium, report the Mirror.

Xhaka's father was once jailed for campaigning for Kosovan independence, forcing the Arsenal star and his family to flee the Balkans, while Stoke's Shaqiri was born in Kosovo.

As the kids say, LOLzzzzzzz Hahaha

This thread should be deleted.

It’s embarrassing enough already.

Its a hilarious thread.

2 people who probably had their childhood destroyed by serbs, probably had friends and family murdered by serbs giving the serbs a GIRFUY in their moments of glory.

Right or wrong of it neither here nor there, the mentions of Griffiths and ‘play for Kosovo then’ are hilarious

What I will say is FIFA keep banging on about political symbols, banners etc at football games not being allowed.
As petty as it will be they should be consistent no matter your opinion on the conflict

Politics have no place in football. And I would suggest people read up on the Balkan conflict before crucifying Serbia and the Serbian people. What they did with goal celebrations was inflammatory and should be punished accordingly. No one from the Serbian FA is disputing the result are they?

No, but they're looking for players to be suspended and influence future results.

"Xhaka’s father was imprisoned and beaten in the former Yugoslavia for campaigning in favour of Kosovan independence and his brother Taulant plays for Albania’s national team."

Its a hilarious thread.

2 people who probably had their childhood destroyed by serbs, probably had friends and family murdered by serbs giving the serbs a GIRFUY in their moments of glory.

Right or wrong of it neither here nor there, the mentions of Griffiths and ‘play for Kosovo then’ are hilarious
Bit of a leap, is it not?
Certainly a major presumption.

No, but they're looking for players to be suspended and influence future results.

"Xhaka’s father was imprisoned and beaten in the former Yugoslavia for campaigning in favour of Kosovan independence and his brother Taulant plays for Albania’s national team."
They have asked for disciplinary action, which would be against the Swiss FA also. I don’t see the issue. Regaardless of the players heritage and what happened to their parents, the area still has a simmering undercurrent, and is currently politically and globally disputed. What they done was stupid and inflammatory. There is a time and place for political protest and representation, it isn’t the football field.

Afterwards the Swiss manager Vladimir Petkovic - born in Bosnia - said: "You should never mix football and politics." Serbian manager Mladen Krstajic - also from Bosnia - refused to comment.

The last thread on here regarding the Yugoslav conflict actually had posters seeming to ‘choos sides’ and apportion blame based on who they thought was most catholic. :eek:

Its a red neck, the amount a fans who have Israeli flags on their twitter now too, talk about them and their obsession with being plastic paddies

Poltics should be kept out of fitba full stop

Before the Switzerland v Albania game at the Euros the BBC showed a 5 minute report about Xhaka and his brother who plays for Albania. It touched on the war, but more on the refugees who were taken in by Switzerland from Kosovo and other Balkan states.

I genuinely wasn't aware that this happened and if anyone can find it, it might make people more aware.

I'm not going to comment on what they done, as I don't want to get involved in it all - but there are lingering tensions all over that area of Europe that haven't properly went away, and probably never will.

"The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has opened disciplinary proceedings against the Swiss players Granit Xhaka and Sheridan Shari for their goal celebration doing the match Switzerland vs. Serbia.

"In relation to the same match, disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the Serbian FA for crowd disturbance and the display of political and offensive messages by Serbia fans.

"Furthermore, a preliminary investigation has been opened against the coach of the Serbian national team Mladen Krstajic for alleged statements made in the aftermath of the said match.”

I have several Serbian colleagues, have worked with Bosnians and Croats, the conflict is far more complex than many of us can contemplate.
That’s my understanding as well, from similar people.
Makes the Arab/Israeli conflict seem like a “normal” war.

Love Kosovo so much they play for Switzerland.

Sounds like the footballing equivalent of that wings over Bath prick.
Yes, last night they weren't playing for Switzerland, they were playing for Kosovo.
The Balkans never stop surprising us.

The Balkans conflict is far more than Serbs - bad, the rest - good. The croats sided with the Nazis, the bosnians had muslim extremists. It was/is a complex conflict and one that no one comes out of looking good.

They sure got their own back though.

People can be total cnuts at times.

Aye even us.

It was either April to Jun, 1941 (or 1942; I've misplaced the book) 120,000 Serbs were massacred by Croats, who were roped in by the Nazis as the local hired help.

In terms of timescale and per head of population it was the biggest (if that's the word I'm looking for) religious massacre of the 20th Century.

PS< the book was 'The Vatican's Holocaust' by Avro Manhatten.

Try it, it will put the Serbs' grievances in perspective.

Its a red neck, the amount a fans who have Israeli flags on their twitter now too, talk about them and their obsession with being plastic paddies

Poltics should be kept out of fitba full stop

Like it or not, football and politics come hand and hand. The biggest rivalries in the world have a political basis. The politics of the fans can dictate how a club is run.

I see people say that football and politics shouldn’t mix, but that’s as unrealistic as it is naive.

With this conflict in particular, one of the catalysts of change was a football match.

I agree with your sentiment, but it will ultimately never happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back