Serie A clubs opt against pulling signal from Sky in rights fee stand-off

When looking at what they give Scottish football, £5m per season it's absolutely sickening the money that Sky throws at other leagues,what kind of profits do Sky make to allow them to throw billions at football.

Sky and subscription OTT platform DAZN hold the live domestic rights to Serie A in deals worth €973m per season. Sky Italia pays the bulk of that fee with its contribution standing at €780m per season which give it the rights to seven out of the 10 weekly Serie A fixtures. DAZN pays €193.3m per season for the rights to the remaining three fixtures per week.

When looking at what they give Scottish football, £5m per season it's absolutely sickening the money that Sky throws at other leagues,what kind of profits do Sky make to allow them to throw billions at football.

If our league had more viewers, we’d be able to command a larger TV rights deal. Whether that be from Sky, BT or Amazon.

It doesn’t help that Doncaster and has band of incompetent mates have had to concede future income to offset their stitch up of last season.

I'd love to be able to quantify the loss in revenue of folk not attending games to watch on Sky Vs the actual TV revenue. I'd imagine the gains would be marginal.

Outwith us and them, no one outwith this country has any interest in watching Scottish football. We can't really blame the broadcasters for the amount offered considering the product. Any team from the English, spanish, French or Italian premier league relegation zone would be a comfortable 3rd place up here imo.

For Scottish football to command higher TV figures, we would need to change the whole style of football. You’d need the Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen’s of the league to ditch the 11 men behind the ball tactic against us and to try and play entertaining football. Referees would need to protect players more, coaches would need to push players to try the type of flashy moves and skill we seen guys like Oduwa get hammered for. Kind of like Dundee in the 90s or early 00s when they had some entertaining players.
Can’t see it happening any time soon myself.

For Scottish football to command higher TV figures, we would need to change the whole style of football. You’d need the Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen’s of the league to ditch the 11 men behind the ball tactic against us and to try and play entertaining football. Referees would need to protect players more, coaches would need to push players to try the type of flashy moves and skill we seen guys like Oduwa get hammered for. Kind of like Dundee in the 90s or early 00s when they had some entertaining players.
And this expected without money; as in having good footballers and keeping them? One of the most disheartening developments in football, over the past two decades, is that leagues like ours are being priced out of the game. Compare this present situation to the league that Souness walked into, with a very strong Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts leading the way for smaller clubs. The game here lacks leadership, and one that is determined to preserve it as an important facet of society; just as is done in the arts in many places where art can be marginalised. I agree with many of your comments, but the problem is our leagues are suffering a two decade malaise that go far deeper, that no one seems able to do anything about. As far as I'm concerned this is a far greater problem than it's being given credit for, and to take the game in the UK as a whole, the dichotomy of one part awash with money and another part scraping the barrel affects the game in the UK as a whole, in my opinion; just as it would do in any other sphere in our society.

You want teams with inferior players to open up against Rangers and Celtic so they get even bigger pumpings than they already get at the moment?

And this expected without money; as in having good footballers and keeping them? One of the most disheartening developments in football, over the past two decades, is that leagues like ours are being priced out of the game. Compare this present situation to the league that Souness walked into, with a very strong Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts leading the way for smaller clubs. The game here lacks leadership, and one that is determined to preserve it as an important facet of society; just as is done in the arts in many places where art can be marginalised. I agree with many of your comments, but the problem is our leagues are suffering a two decade malaise that go far deeper, that no one seems able to do anything about. As far as I'm concerned this is a far greater problem than it's being given credit for, and to take the game in the UK as a whole, the dichotomy of one part awash with money and another part scraping the barrel affects the game in the UK as a whole, in my opinion; just as it would do in any other sphere in our society.
I don’t believe you need money to play attractive football. You need a complete change in attitude towards our style.

You want teams with inferior players to open up against Rangers and Celtic so they get even bigger pumpings than they already get at the moment?
If you want to try and sell the league to a wider audience then yes. You very rarely see teams in other leagues have 11 men in the box for 90 minutes spoiling every move.

If our league had more viewers, we’d be able to command a larger TV rights deal. Whether that be from Sky, BT or Amazon.

It doesn’t help that Doncaster and has band of incompetent mates have had to concede future income to offset their stitch up of last season.
Our league gets more viewers than rugby league (Rangers and their games anyway) and sky gave Rrugby league a better deal. Might have changed with new deal but wouldn't surprise me if RL get a better deal than us again as I'm sure the contract is up for renewal.

Our product isn’t good enough to get large TV deals, I do feel though that we should be getting more than what we accept.

The unpalatable truth for many is that these improvements cost money. Where is the money coming from if not tv?
We should go back to sharing gate revenue- say 80% to home team and 20% to away.
This will not cost us and them much but would be a significant boost to all the other clubs- who could then invest in better players, play better football and put in a decent challenge. This would generate more viewers, would generate better tv deal.
We cannot continually moan about a 2 horse race, poor product etc if we atre not willing to make tough choices on how to improve things.

Not just that the product is good enough in Scotland it’s that there’s not much interest here for watching games outside your own team. The big issue is that the main rights holders here also cover England and the majority of us would rather watch an English game than a Scottish game on the TV.

Before a 3pm KO Saturday or Sunday and you are in the Grapes or the Louden or wherever do you want to watch a Premier League game at 12.30 or do you want to watch Motherwell v Hearts or St Mirren v Ross County? Again, the same when you come out the ground for the 5.30 ko.

The only marketable game not involving us or them is Hearts v Hibs and even then there’s limited interest in that.

The unpalatable truth for many is that these improvements cost money. Where is the money coming from if not tv?
We should go back to sharing gate revenue- say 80% to home team and 20% to away.
This will not cost us and them much but would be a significant boost to all the other clubs- who could then invest in better players, play better football and put in a decent challenge. This would generate more viewers, would generate better tv deal.
We cannot continually moan about a 2 horse race, poor product etc if we atre not willing to make tough choices on how to improve things.
You'really right, they do cost money. I don't know what the solutions are; your proposal about gate money should be considered, but somehow it needs to be addressed soon.

If you want to try and sell the league to a wider audience then yes. You very rarely see teams in other leagues have 11 men in the box for 90 minutes spoiling every move.
Not going to happen. Teams have every right to play that way and try and hit Rangers on the break whilst keeping it tight at the back. It was good enough to get to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008.

Not going to happen. Teams have every right to play that way and try and hit Rangers on the break whilst keeping it tight at the back. It was good enough to get to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008.
They do but it’s not good to watch and so nobody is going to be in a rush to pay big bucks. You can’t have it both ways, people are crying about the shitey money we get for our league, the reason we get shitey money is because we’ve got a shitey product. Like i said, total change of attitude required.

The money's unreal these other leagues get compared to us but the only spectacle we have is us v them so no surprises. The rest of Scottish football contribute pretty much %^*& all in terms of bringing in sponsorship or TV deals with their shitty wee crowds and horrible style of football. There's always been a negativity around Scottish football. Hating itself to death.

Apart from us n that manky mob the rest of Scottish football is at same level as Welsh Irish league maybe that’s a bit harsh but even League in Slovakia Slovenia Denmark Sweden etc from what I’ve seen( and I’m by no means an expert on it ) are better supported play a better on the eye brand n generally a more pleasant looking experience

This is why Scottish football needs to think outside the box. Change the rules that allow Motherwell, st Mirren etc go be feeder teams for Liverpool, Man U etc. That way can lead to bigger audience in TV and maybe even much better players to play.... or try something else but the way it is we will never get any better.

This is why Scottish football needs to think outside the box. Change the rules that allow Motherwell, st Mirren etc go be feeder teams for Liverpool, Man U etc. That way can lead to bigger audience in TV and maybe even much better players to play.... or try something else but the way it is we will never get any better.
That scenario is completely horrible. Top division clubs here becoming nothing more than reserve teams is really not going to raise the profile of the game.

Apart from us n that manky mob the rest of Scottish football is at same level as Welsh Irish league maybe that’s a bit harsh but even League in Slovakia Slovenia Denmark Sweden etc from what I’ve seen( and I’m by no means an expert on it ) are better supported play a better on the eye brand n generally a more pleasant looking experience
Was that the case thirty years ago and beyond?

Do we know who will be showing Serie A next season ? hopefully its taken off Premier Sports !

One of the only times people from other countries were interested in Scottish football was when the Souness revolution happened crowds went up other clubs upped their signing policies and game built new stadiums on the back of the increased revenue crowds and interest Rangers created and what thanks we got they tried their best to hinder us. Football in Scotland before the revolution was dying on its feet it was dying from apathy and lack of ambition nobody was interested just like modern day life in Scotland today.

That scenario is completely horrible. Top division clubs here becoming nothing more than reserve teams is really not going to raise the profile of the game.
I don’t mean full reserve teams but if they are allowed 5-6 from one big team south with at least 4 allowed to play at one time it could mean that the smaller teams only need a squad of 16-18 players supplemented with the loans and their own youngsters. Hopefully it would bring up the quality - meaning we have better opposition to play against improving us and also creating more interest from elsewhere in the uk. If that gave us a more appealing brand then perhaps would increase revenues and improve product.

I’m not saying it is the answer but what we have now is pretty awful so something should be done.

One of the only times people from other countries were interested in Scottish football was when the Souness revolution happened crowds went up other clubs upped their signing policies and game built new stadiums on the back of the increased revenue crowds and interest Rangers created and what thanks we got they tried their best to hinder us. Football in Scotland before the revolution was dying on its feet it was dying from apathy and lack of ambition nobody was interested just like modern day life in Scotland today.
Aberdeen won the ECWC in 1983 and Dundee United reached the semi final of the European Cup in 1984, both before Souness arrived.

Most Scottish players do not have the proper physique you see in other leagues even before we get to the skill level required.

Do we know who will be showing Serie A next season ? hopefully its taken off Premier Sports !
Channel 4 should buy it back and get the dream team back in the studio. In saying that they can't even afford an HD streaming service so it's highly unlikely.

Wonder what the TV audience is for Hamilton v StMirren. Two stand stadium less than half empty and a artificial pitch.
What do you want them to do? Spend millions (that they don't have) building four stands to lie empty every other week and be saddled with unmanageable debt?

Disregarding the Asian, Chinese etc who watch the EPL in their Zillions the Old Firm game still has the biggest worldwide following by genuine Old Firm supporters.

Back