Serious upgrades and the squad players brought in

We played a weakened team today and it showed just how lacking in depth we are. Candeias, Worrall and Halliday - who we have seen far too much of this season - are miles away from being in a Rangers team.

Kent leaves and we can't just rely on Murphy to come in as a first team replacement. A serious upgrade is needed here.

Ryan Jack in the midfield had the limitations in his game exposed today. Serious upgrade needed.

The squad players we brought in make sense to replace the likes of Candeias, Worrall and Halliday etc because they won't do even as back up.

And for the CM and inside forward, about 8m needs spent here or we can forget winning any title.
Couldn’t agree more candieas,Halliday and worrall very poor and hack who has been quite good this season we need a upgrade on him.
We need 4/5 first team players of quality in summer

We need a top quality 2/3 million plus creative midfielder in that role. Priority area.
Trouble is where to get a quality 2/3 mill midfielder, would need to look at the lower leagues in England and then it's getting them to come to Scotland. Totally agree with you though creative mid is something we've been lacking for a while

In fairness the management knew or suspected it. I personally think that they expected more from the fringe players. Many will be swapped and hopefully upgraded.

That performance from Ryan Jack was all to reminiscent of too many of his performances especially away from home.

That's why I have been banging on about an upgrade on him and why he simply cannot be a regular starter next season.

Having the odd decent game here and there does not win you championships.

And we really do need to move Halliday on. Great lad and all that but simply does not add any value.

That performance from Ryan Jack was all to reminiscent of too many of his performances especially away from home.

That's why I have been banging on about an upgrade on him and why he simply cannot be a regular starter next season.

Having the odd decent game here and there does not win you championships.
As long as Gerrard rates Ryan Jack you’ll be disappointed.

As long as Gerrard rates Ryan Jack you’ll be disappointed.
Gerrard knows he has to win trophies. That will be the decider. Jack can turn up against the mentally challengeds at Ibrox, which is fine, but his performances as a whole are just not good enough for a team wanting to win 55.

I willl be surprised if SG maintains Jack as a regular starter next season.

Gerrard knows he has to win trophies. That will be the decider. Jack can turn up against the mentally challengeds at Ibrox, which is fine, but his performances as a whole are just not good enough fur a team wanting to win 55.
He’ll be here and we’ll be fine.

Hopefully you’ll embrace Jack and realise you are/were wrong.

We have beaten Killie once in the league in the last two seasons - it's nothing short of disgraceful.

Some of these players were playing for their career at Rangers as well. It showed exactly what needs addressed and that work is to be done.

People were starting to rest on their laurels after our run.
Point I made was we failed to beat killie, apart from once, playing 433 with wingers. Today was, unsurprisingly, no different. Could have had dorrans in arfield role, kent infield, which would've tightened up the midfield and allowed Jack and kamara more time on the ball. Instead we played to killie's strengths and let them break on us with little or no cover. Add in 5 changes and 2 debuts, it was what it was.

He’ll be here and we’ll be fine.

Hopefully you’ll embrace Jack and realise you are/were wrong.
I want to win league titles. We're not doing that with Ryan Jack in midfield when he has one genuinely good game in seven or eight. Away from home he is nowhere good enough.

I want to win league titles. We're not doing that with Ryan Jack in midfield when he has one genuinely good game in seven or eight. Away from home he is nowhere good enough.
Can’t agree.

If we bring in a better player it’s a win/win but he isn’t the reason we didn’t win anything.

Can’t agree.

If we bring in a better player it’s a win/win but he isn’t the reason we didn’t win anything.
He is part of the problem within what was a hugely underperforming midfield for a large chunk of the season. That cost us big time.

Jack is too hot and cold for me, i cannot decide if he is got enough.
Worral, lafferty, barisic, grezda, halliday are not good enough.
Coulibally and kent are away.
There is little more than a dozen players who are good enough.
I would not look into today too much, they needed to win it, look at the nick of the park etc
It lets us know some cannot step up to the mantle

We are in a really good position right now. We have a strong squad who are already capable of going toe to toe with Celtic. Some folk - even on here - were saying it would be a decade before we were back here. All of the crucial members of that squad are fit to be with us next year apart from Kent. He’s a big miss. But we have several new wingers coming in and Murphy returning. And the possibility of retaining Kent is still there. Any other first teamer who leaves (Morelos, Tav) will only do so if they fetch a huge fee to pay towards their replacement.

We don’t need to spend to buy a whole new team for the first time since King took over. So the funds that bought a whole team can now buy 2 or 3 players. We will get another quality midfielder. We will get another quality forward. We will get another quality defender. And they should be better quality than we have seen recently.

When we get these players then the player in their position drops to the bench, givig us that strength in depth.

Look forward to the summer. It’s going to be great.

Last edited:
Today didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.We're short of a midfielder,wide forward and someone to compete with Defoe when Morelos goes for the first eleven.A LB if Barasic isn't going to cut it.
Two CH's for the squad with one maybe capable of challenging the two we have.

Six players still required after Jones,Hastie and Stewart.

I hope we get players similar to the likes of Turnbull,Peterson,Koljic,Suchy,Klose and Adam Lewis in.

Not appreciating this meaningless fixture tag,we have won fck all, and that team today should have went out there determined to put on a winning show to end the season carrying on that winning mentality.The fans were also owed that gratitude,disappointing end to a league season, which was so winnable.missed opportunity

Trouble is where to get a quality 2/3 mill midfielder, would need to look at the lower leagues in England and then it's getting them to come to Scotland. Totally agree with you though creative mid is something we've been lacking for a while

I would love to see a Pedro Mendes type player who could really enhance our midfield even if it means a a couple of seasons before a good sell on fee then so be it.

In terms of scouting we really need to unearth a gem from somewhere perhaps Holland or maybe Scandinavia or looking at the Porto/Benfica B teams they always seem to have players on tap who are sent out on loan and earn rave reviews before being given first team action then they become big targets for the bigger clubs in Europe.

As I said we need to find a hidden gem ;)

Gerrard rates Jack very highly, so the Football Manager Loyal on here can go for a can of juice and suck up the fact he'll be here long term.

Not appreciating this meaningless fixture tag,we have won fck all, and that team today should have went out there determined to put on a winning show to end the season carrying on that winning mentality.The fans were also owed that gratitude,disappointing end to a league season, which was so winnable.missed opportunity

Spot on. At least I’m not on my own banging this drum.

That was some nose bleed he had when setting up Morelos.

Pick out isolated examples all you want.

For every one like that there’s plenty more he gets a nose bleed with.

Some players have it great. Don’t have to contribute all that much, get one assist and it will be brought up as a defense for them all the time.

A bit like Barry McKay living off that goal against the Yahoos for the best part of half a season.

Jack was caught in possession multiple times, twice he could’ve slipped someone in but either couldn’t spot it or got a nose bleed, and was outmuscled and paced by Alan Power and co.

Gerrard was spot on re what he said - Rangers controlled that game cut their own throat (neither of which involved Jack)

You have a hell of a sandy fanny

Gerrard was spot on re what he said - Rangers controlled that game cut their own throat (neither of which involved Jack)

You have a hell of a sandy fanny

We controlled the game? It means hee haw. We’ve ‘controlled’ just about every game against them (to use the term generously) and come away with 2 points.

Your standards are disgracefully low.

Gerrard rates Jack very highly, so the Football Manager Loyal on here can go for a can of juice and suck up the fact he'll be here long term.
Jack is decent,as is Kamara.We need someone in there beside Davis and one of them to take us up a level to be able to win the league though.

I don't think that's an unreasonable assessment to make.

We controlled the game? It means hee haw. We’ve ‘controlled’ just about every game against them (to use the term generously) and come away with 2 points.

Your standards are disgracefully low.

Nothing said in my post remotely relates to standards...

You’re need to be a queen is making you a total car crash on this thread - endless nonsenseical points

Pick out isolated examples all you want.

For every one like that there’s plenty more he gets a nose bleed with.

Some players have it great. Don’t have to contribute all that much, get one assist and it will be brought up as a defense for them all the time.

A bit like Barry McKay living off that goal against the Yahoos for the best part of half a season.
Ryan Jack applies himself week after week but doesn’t get the credit for the dirty work he does.
Barry McKay had ability but didn’t apply himself.
Not the best of comparisons.

Nothing said in my post remotely relates to standards...

You’re need to be a queen is making you a total car crash on this thread - endless nonsenseical points

You rate Ryan Jack and thought he was good today - tells me all I need to know about your standards!

Ryan Jack applies himself week after week but doesn’t get the credit for the dirty work he does.
Barry McKay had ability but didn’t apply himself.
Not the best of comparisons.

It wasn’t a comparison.

It was about examples of isolated incidents constantly being brought up to defend players....

You rate Ryan Jack and thought he was good today - tells me all I need to know about your standards!

He was perfectly fine

His performance isn’t going to compensate for a player giving the ball away - a player giving a penalty away and nunerous gilt edged chances being missed

His work in that game was enough to see his side win - others contributed to the defeat.

“They’re pure aw pish and I’ve pure standards” it just makes you sound a bit daft

It wasn’t a comparison.

It was about examples of isolated incidents constantly being brought up to defend players....
Nothing isolated about Jack’s performances though , has been one of our most consistent players over the past two seasons yet seems to be an easy target for some.

He was perfectly fine

His performance isn’t going to compensate for a player giving the ball away - a player giving a penalty away and nunerous gilt edged chances being missed

His work in that game was enough to see his side win - others contributed to the defeat.

“They’re pure aw pish and I’ve pure standards” it just makes you sound a bit daft

He plays in arguably the most important position on the park.

I want central midfielders to be able to take the ball from defenders on the half turn quickly, drive forward or move the ball quickly out wide to the other side. I want them to be able to play cute passes in the final third and provide quality service to the forward players.

Ideally they can arrive late in the box for cut backs and shoot from outside the box.

Jack offers little of this. If we want the title, a player like what I’ve described, or close to it, needs brought in for the midfield.

I want central midfielders to be able to take the ball from defenders on the half turn quickly, drive forward or move the ball quickly out wide to the other side. I want them to be able to play cute passes in the final third and provide quality service to the forward players.

Ideally they can arrive late in the box for cut backs and shoot from outside the box.

Jack offers little of this. If we want the title, a player like what I’ve described, or close to it, needs brought in for the midfield.

Kevin De Bruyne may be out of our price range

I reckon (know) Gerrard knows a shit load more about standards and the needs and wants from a midfield than you and he clearly rates Jack

I (and 99.999999999999999999%) of Rangers fans have a more invested view in what Gerrard thinks and wants. ... you can buy the midfielders you want when you play Football Manager and FIFA.

I reckon (know) Gerrard knows a shit load more about standards and the needs and wants from a midfield than you and he clearly rates Jack

I (and 99.999999999999999999%) of Rangers fans have a more invested view in what Gerrard thinks and wants. ... you can buy the midfielders you want when you play Football Manager and FIFA.

This argument is pointless.

It essentially rules out every fan ever making a judgement on a player because ‘well, a pro manager rates him, so he must be right’.

Back