Seriously - What Can Gerrard do About Morelos?

I think Gerrard is giving him mixed messages Or Morello’s cannot differentiate between the gaffer support and veiled warnings.I Think Morello’s after today has taken us as far as he can without massive diminishing returns. I don’t think anything sinks in with him . There is a constant red mist hanging about him all over the park. I don’t think Gerrard can do anymore for him nor him for us. I Mean for god sake’ just 12 hours ago and told them all about our red card situation and what does he do?

He needs to be shown that he doesn’t hold all the aces here. He needs to be fined to begin with. We have no option but to persist with Lafferty for a couple of games now, and who knows what a wee run in the side might do for his form and confidence? Regardless of this, I’d keep Morelos on the bench for the next couple of games once he’s available and look to bring him on for the last half hour or so, just to let him (and the rest of them) know that no-one walks back into the starting 11 if they act like that. If he does well then look to restore him back into the starting lineup, but, as another poster suggested, I’d hook him as soon as he gets another yellow and then drop him back to the bench for the next match, along with some extra training thrown in as punishment.

A bit of carrot and stick, don’t shut him out completely and thus hopefully stop him taking the huff but let him know that he needs to change and there will be consequences if he doesn’t. If he has any kind of brain then he’ll screw the nut and knuckle down, if not then he’ll stuff up his own career as no big club is going to offer him big bucks if he can’t consistently displace Lafferty from the starting 11.

After SG publicly defending him this week he has let the manager down. Stevie is the boss and I think Senor Morelos will find that out in no uncertain terms tomorrow if he hasn't already.

First yellow was very soft, but possibly for persistent fouling, as the Sheep were in the ref's face every time Alfie went near them and Levein's comments were fresh in the ref's mind.

Second yellow was madness. Could even have been a straight red.

His first touch was shocking, which allowed Shinnie to nip the ball away from him. As soon as the ball was away, he threw out his arm and his hand connected with Shinnie's cheek, whereby Shinnie went down like he had been shot. I will give Alfie the benefit of the doubt that it was a push, rather than a punch, but it was just plain stupid and completely unnecessary, even more so when he was already on a yellow card.

He does seem very bi-polar. When we are playing well and he is scoring, he is happy, but his face was tripping him all game tonight.

He looked like he had gone to a wife-swapping party, drew the short straw and got lumbered with 22 stone Bernadette.

For all i agree he needs to steps away from getting involved

The abuse off cunts behind me the night got to the stage where we were nearly getting seperated

After 15 minutes he shite this n that then get him to %^*& in january a Don’t know if I watch a different player every other week disgrace tbh

Theres something about the management style for me.

Could see for the last few weeks / months he's been told to go down and stay down. Don't get involved.

That changed in the last few days since the Hearts game and I think the boy has took the wrong message away from it. Couple that with our statements about refereeing performances.

Gerrard praising you / protecting you in the press will obviously make you feel bulletproof, Morelos just has a bit of growing up to do for me.

In amongst much of the lunacy in this thread, this is the right answer - train the reaction out of him
Said this months ago, got laughed out of court.
What really annoyed me was that SG as recently as the press conference before the game backed him to the hilt.
"What do you want me to do, tell him not to tackle" etc., etc.
Then he goes out and basically kicks SG in the teeth.
He needs taken down a peg or two and pronto.

Honestly thought he might’ve got sent off last night.

The pressure has gotten to him and the way the media have hounded a young man in a foreign country is shocking.

Fine the daft wee bugger each time he does it

He will learn

No he won’t .He has no respect for the club, team or Manager. He will just have a “%^*& You all “attitude which is even worse.

Gerrard May have brought some of this on himself by hoping Morelos would hear his press conference, his dressing room words and he basically kicked him in the noodles.

I will take Lafferty for the remainder until we figure bout what to do with him.

This situation is unsustainable for a serious title run.

We tell him to keep doing what he does, whilst getting to the bottom of why he’s refereed to a different standard to other players in the league.

The guy is vilified in the media, we’ve had 4 days of sound bytes as to why he wasn’t sent off at Tynecastle (for absolutely nothing) and then he sees red tonight. Does anyone genuinely believe they’re not related?

The mentally challengeds with typewriters will be putting their feet up tonight and will consider it a job done.

I missed most of the game tonight, but I must admit that was the first thought that came to my mind.

i would like to see him leave ,use the cash on a disciplined player he is no use to us suspended,also Gerrard has to take part of the blame here for the way he has handled him,i wouldst mind if he was getting sent off for mistimed tackles not petulance he has shown no respect for the manager club or support

Put it in black and white for him. Get two translators in just to be certain.

Every game you miss in future, you are fined two weeks wages.

This boy needs discipline. His talent is no use if a) it cannot be relied upon and b) he shows no signs of self awareness to improve.

First yellow was very soft, but possibly for persistent fouling, as the Sheep were in the ref's face every time Alfie went near them and Levein's comments were fresh in the ref's mind.

Second yellow was madness. Could even have been a straight red.

His first touch was shocking, which allowed Shinnie to nip the ball away from him. As soon as the ball was away, he threw out his arm and his hand connected with Shinnie's cheek, whereby Shinnie went down like he had been shot. I will give Alfie the benefit of the doubt that it was a push, rather than a punch, but it was just plain stupid and completely unnecessary, even more so when he was already on a yellow card.

He does seem very bi-polar. When we are playing well and he is scoring, he is happy, but his face was tripping him all game tonight.

He looked like he had gone to a wife-swapping party, drew the short straw and got lumbered with 22 stone Bernadette.
Just saw second yellow incident footage. Utter lunacy. It’s effectively a slap. For very little reason too. He’s not wired right.

Cost us 3 points? He was having a stinker when he was on the park and even after being sent off it was still 10 v 10.

Maybe the other 10 can take some responsibility, maybe the gaffer can take some too for once again tinkering with his line up and it once again resulting in dropped points.

Yeah he did. He was playing shit but was better than a man down. If he stayed on he could have been replaced too!

The others take responsibility too but the priniary responsibility falls with the man who thinks he’s billy big bollocks and missed a sitter before deciding to get himself sent off in an inexcusable manner.

There is absolutely zero blame on the referee, Morelos was given a few chances before his first booking and the second one could have been a straight red, the boy is a massive talent but also a immature arsehole at times. He needs to wise up and quick.

Without knowing if it happens or not but he should be fined for it - that's pish from him last night, it is mollycoddling to simply blame the ref all the time....every ref....in every game....even in Europe.

He doesn't need to be dropped, but tonight he seemed to be totally off the boil, and perhaps the manager has to be brave enough to take him off when this happens because when a player is off his game, he will become frustrated and then things begin to go wrong.
As it proved.

What is wrong with taking him off, putting an arm around him and telling him that it wasn't his night and not to worry as this is football?

I would have hooked him a good ten minutes before his dismissal because he was clearly struggling.

You could see the sending off coming a mile off.
He was dropping deeper and deeper to win the ball as he was getting no service from the midfield, and it was then inevitable that he would get caught up in a tackle/ incident for the second yellow.
Daft all the same.

To a certain degree gerrard has experienced the frustration5012 of this type of behaviour, if you've read his book? He had a good relationship with Suarez, who was arguably a biggier screwball crackpot. I'm sure that'll continue with morelos, despite the fact I'm sure his patience is ALSO wearing thin

This place has totally bought into the narrative that Morelos is some out of control animal. I see people writing "His disciplinary record is going to cost us", "he can't be trusted" and (laughably) "sell him" or "drop him".

Are we talking about the same Morelos? The one with a single DESERVED red card this season? Yes he misses a game with a collection of bookings, but come on! Shall we also get rid of Scott Arfield and Ross McCrorie for their single red cards as well?

He's too good to drop but we all saw him getting a 2nd yellow tonight. If he gets a stupid booking then he should be hooked and made to learn that his antics hurt the team.

We all know he likes a rumble but most his bookings are from him not knowing when to stfu or stupid stuff

I certainly think that if he gets booked in the first half of a game, he needs to be taken off at half time. Which is ludicrous given that a manager should be able to trust his players enough to not get a stupid second yellow card. At the moment, we just can't trust him to do that.

Gerrard changed the shape of the team at half time last night to capitalise on Aberdeen having 10 men and then he got sent off for something completely unnecessary and avoidable. I would be incandescent with him if I was SG.

Not sure dropping him will do any good, because Lafferty is chronic. SG should be going through Morelos like a ton of bricks for that last night though. It's just unacceptable.

Drop him.

There’s literally nothing else that Alfredo will understand. He’s not the brightest, he’s from a notoriously underschooled part of Colombia.

Deny him football if he’s not understanding a grown up chat about it.

This place has totally bought into the narrative that Morelos is some out of control animal. I see people writing "His disciplinary record is going to cost us", "he can't be trusted" and (laughably) "sell him" or "drop him".

Are we talking about the same Morelos? The one with a single DESERVED red card this season? Yes he misses a game with a collection of bookings, but come on! Shall we also get rid of Scott Arfield and Ross McCrorie for their single red cards as well?

It is verging on redundant how fair or unfair people think it is or if they buy into narratives or not.... it happens .... it is and has cost us.

It is league games missed, it is Europa Group games missed, it was qualifying games missed, it has been Semi Finals missed.

There is an element of "why always me" why always Morelos, because he is involved in situations often.

It's a dilema. We need his goals but he is no use to us sitting in the stand.
I would persevere with him until the end of the season and hope he can shoot us to the title. Then I would cash in and try and find a suitable replacement.

He is by all accounts thick, and also living abroad so we have man/child syndrome. Very hard for the club...we need his goals and until we line up his replacement we need to keep him sweet.

We need Alfredo being honest we’re pretty average without him yes he was stupid but when he’s on it he makes a huge difference to the way we play just look at when he came on against Livingston we were bang average struggling Alfredo comes on and the whole dynamic of the team and game changes he has to learn from this but our options up until January are limited we’ve got to get him firing and staying on the pitch

N
He's too good to drop but we all saw him getting a 2nd yellow tonight. If he gets a stupid booking then he should be hooked and made to learn that his antics hurt the team.

We all know he likes a rumble but most his bookings are from him not knowing when to stfu or stupid stuff
NO ONE is ever too good to drop. NO ONE.

He gets distracted far too easily when other clubs show interest and it affects his game adversely as we have saw last season when his form dipped dramatically.He should appreciate what he has at Ibrox within the club and from the huge support.As a club you do not get much better than Glasgow Rangers ..enjoy it while you can Alfredo.

every man and his dug knew last night he would get a red card in the 2nd half he should be fined heavily

Sell him in January had enough of his discipline issues ,great player but his stupidity let's him down too many times now,no good to us if he's suspended all the time

It is verging on redundant how fair or unfair people think it is or if they buy into narratives or not.... it happens .... it is and has cost us.

It is league games missed, it is Europa Group games missed, it was qualifying games missed, it has been Semi Finals missed.

There is an element of "why always me" why always Morelos, because he is involved in situations often.

Correct.

No-one is buying into his media image, but let’s be honest, he’s now been sent off against Aberdeen twice this season for off the ball incidents.

It’s utterly, utterly fucking unacceptable.

Alfredo is a very good striker , the best we have at present, but if he keeps getting sent off then he becomes a liability and endangers the whole team.
Its not as if hes getting sent off for fouls committed in pusuit of trying to score a goal, he gets involved in things that are avoidable and, if he has been repeatedly told not to do it then you have to wonder if hes either too stupid to do what hes told or if hes actually untrainable in the disciplinary sense.
Either way he's going to cost us points every time he f*cks up and its not good enough to keep saying that it a part of his game, plenty of top class strikers play aggressively and dont get sent off like Morelos.
We should be looking to get anther striker as a matter of urgency and sell Morelos to fund it.

Doesnt matter what SG does now imo. AM will forever be a marked man now in Scottish football. So much so infact that it will probably ruin his Rangers career because i dont think he can handle it. As good as he is i still want us to try move him on.

Forgetting all the knee-jerk reactions of “sell him”...:rolleyes:

This is a big, big test of Gerrard’s man management. We went down to 10 men on Sunday, after which Gerrard publicised the fact that he’d had a word with the team about their discipline. Then tonight Morelos has another brain fade and gets another red card. It makes Gerrard look ridiculous.

The boy obviously has some talent but equally obviously needs to sort out his approach. 2 idiotic reds and a rescinded red and it’s only the start of November, plus lots of yellows. We know he is reffed to a different standard at times, but let’s be honest that a number of his cards have been for petulance or for arguing, both of which he has control over.

So what does Gerrard do? Something needs to be done but what? He’s an important player for us but we can’t afford to have him sitting in the stands instead of being on the pitch. He’s talented but needs to learn that he’s not bigger than the team. How does Gerrard get this into the player’s apparently thick skull without curbing the intensity and competitiveness which makes him the player he is. Drop him? If so, replace with Lafferty who hadn’t scored since mid-September?

Personally, I’d drop him to the bench for a few matches to teach him a lesson. I know that he’s a big player for us but this can’t continue,. He needs to wise up quickly and he seems to be showing no signs of being able to do that by himself.

Who scores our goals while he's on the bench?

Doesnt matter what SG does now imo. AM will forever be a marked man now in Scottish football. So much so infact that it will probably ruin his Rangers career because i dont think he can handle it. As good as he is i still want us to try move him on.

Absolute madness.

Hes a complete idiot not sure thats ever going to change to be honest.

Probably means we will keep him English sides wont gamble on that temperament

Back