Seriously - What Can Gerrard do About Morelos?

He now won’t play for the next two weeks due to his luncacy. He should be told we’re not paying him for that period.

He cost us 3 points tonight. He nearly cost us Europe. It must stop now.

And probably the League Cup.
Though his booking that night was very harsh.

Last edited:
Anyone saying sell him needs their head looked at. Walter Smith would boot you in the tom halls for saying it.
Smith could manager players when they went off track. Gerrard needs to do the same.

Were people saying we should get rid of Souness when he was snapping and breaking legs?
Alfie should be taught how to manage himself. Weve had far worse than him.
Hes not as bad as hes made out to be.

I'd see about getting some of his family flown over and put up in a hotel for a couple of weeks. Obviously, he's a rich man and could well afford to do this himself but for the trivial cost involved (in the context of his transfer value and wages at least) the possible benefits to the team could be well worth it.

Alfredo is a very good striker , the best we have at present, but if he keeps getting sent off then he becomes a liability and endangers the whole team.
Its not as if hes getting sent off for fouls committed in pusuit of trying to score a goal, he gets involved in things that are avoidable and, if he has been repeatedly told not to do it then you have to wonder if hes either too stupid to do what hes told or if hes actually untrainable in the disciplinary sense.
Either way he's going to cost us points every time he f*cks up and its not good enough to keep saying that it a part of his game, plenty of top class strikers play aggressively and dont get sent off like Morelos.
We should be looking to get anther striker as a matter of urgency and sell Morelos to fund it.
He's beginning to look like he's unable to comprehend the effect his petulance has on the club. Either that, or his own selfish interests come first. If he stayed for another five years, we'd still be sitting here, discussing the same old, same old. The boy is a total rocket and that's not about to change anytime soon.

When and if we get the striker we ere after in January sell off Morelos. He’s getting to the point of being unmagable he’ll be a big miss but every player can be replaced.
Every player has his price that’s more or less what SG said in the pre game press conference.

Refereed to a different standard. Needs to wise up and get as sleekit as the guys he’s playing against. Obviously still a mans game in Finland where it’s still give and take without the cheating and play acting that’s why he was fever carded there. Different breed of person he’s up against here. He’s had a lot of cards has he ever done anything to endanger an opponent? I’ve seen players, like Clare for hearts, who have committed atrocious tackles which have endangered a player going unpunished.

2vkz1hd.jpg

Take a seat Alfie :mad:

At the moment, there very little the Gerrard and do about Morelos other than have a chat (again) with him.

We can’t do without Morelos and I think Alfredo knows it. We need proper competition recruited in January (loan or permanent).

Only that will give Morelos the kick up the arse he needs.

And probably the League Cup.

He got booked in the game for getting absolutely snapped in two and had the audacity to take issue with it.

This is the point people are missing when having a go at Morelos, half his bookings are deserved, the other half he's being unfairly treated by referees who have already made their mind up that he's getting booked before a ball is kicked. The big mutant cünt Bowman at Motherwell is 10 times dirtier than Morelos, and from what I can see, has one booking in the league this year to Morelos' 5 yellows and 2 reds.

Ok so you think his indiscipline is totally acceptable for our star forward

Where did you get "his indiscipline is totally acceptable" from "we've played 15 league games so far this season and so far he's not missed any of them"?

You've claimed that he'll play two-thirds of the season at this rate. He's made it more than a third of the way through already without being suspended. He'll miss the next two games now but my point, because you've clearly missed it by a fucking mile, is that his "indiscipline" is nowhere near as bad as the hysterical mobs on here are making out.

Also, to anyone suggesting Morelos be dropped from the team; are you seriously suggesting that we go to Vienna next week, needing a win to qualify for the Europa League knockout stages, without Morelos in the squad?

Drop him. Don't give him another minute of football before the winter break and make him train with the unders. Idiot of a boy clearly can't get it through his head that his antics are only going to cost us, so we can't afford to have him in the team

Oh shut the %^*& up. Does the same apply to Scott Arfield because his red card was every bit as stupid!

Oh shut the %^*& up. Does the same apply to Scott Arfield because his red card was every bit as stupid!

Exactly. The Hearts keeper had a hand on top of the ball; Arfield was never, in a million years, going to take that ball legally from the keeper. He doesn't get the same backlash as Morelos does.

I get the same fear with Alfredo as I did when Diouf was in our team. Love the wee guy, but you simply can’t predict what he’s going to do next.

Fine him but don't drop him. He's too important to us to be dropped.

The filth know how to wind him up however. He always seems to get really frustrated in those games. I like the idea of a psychologist helping him. Maybe he needs to take anger management classes.

Either way, he needs to do a lot of growing up to achieve his full potential. No doubt he will mellow with age but we might not have him by that time and we need him to mellow now.

Morelos has had a target painted on his back by the media due to his playing style. He tries to leave one on opponents in a clumsy innocuous fashion to get his own back on guys who are overly physical and foul him. Managers of other teams have cottoned on to the fact that he can be riled and that referees will more often than not be easily conned by tactics designed to get him booked and if repeated, sent off. Alfie, cannot for any sustained run of games cutely redress the balance by falling down at the most opportune moments and he cannot resist trying to retaliate (understandably so) albeit with the subtlety of a buffalo.

Arseholes like Levein contribute in a large part to exacerbating the 'targeting' of Morelos from a referee's perspective, ramping up pressure on officials like the incompetents Maclean and Walsh who may well be deliberately using inconsistencies in decision making to the detriment of Rangers for whatever reason. The stats bear this out in terms of fouls per yellow.

As for Gerrard's man management of him, Morelos is well past the point of having to repay the faith of the manager by way of curbing his indiscipline. If I were in Stevie's shoes I would lay it on the line to him if he hasn't already done so:

'If you are sent off again due to stupidity you will be fined.' 'If you collect bookings needlessly which amount to suspensions through stupidity, you will be fined.'

Whether this is enough to get through to him remains to be seen.

He gets fk all protection, not easy to be nipped at constantly and kp your cool, Lego is far worse that Alfie but he gets preferential treatment. The media have Alfie as a Vinnie Jones character when he ain’t.

I'd see about getting some of his family flown over and put up in a hotel for a couple of weeks. Obviously, he's a rich man and could well afford to do this himself but for the trivial cost involved (in the context of his transfer value and wages at least) the possible benefits to the team could be well worth it.
Maybe they're crackpots as well.

He's got us over a barrel, well and truly. Unless we have some serious competition for him then we need to put up with his misses/petulance/sending offs but as long as the goals keep coming SG can't drop him completely.

He needs to fine him heavily and drop him.

He's a liability we cannot afford!
This.

But also, bring in someone to play closer to him. It's almost the same situation with Kenny Miller in the last few years, dropping so far back that there's no one in the last third to get on the end of any passes/crosses. He works so hard for the team but doesn't always get the same from his teammates.

There is absolutely zero blame on the referee, Morelos was given a few chances before his first booking and the second one could have been a straight red, the boy is a massive talent but also a immature arsehole at times. He needs to wise up and quick.

Given a few chances?

He commited two infringements prior to his yellow card, none of which were remotely serious.
Why do people post such nonsense?

He could've had a straight red for his second yellow though.

This.

But also, bring in someone to play closer to him. It's almost the same situation with Kenny Miller in the last few years, dropping so far back that there's no one in the last third to get on the end of any passes/crosses. He works so hard for the team but doesn't always get the same from his teammates.

So, you want him dropped because he's a liability yet you want someone to play off him?

Which is it?

I don't want Morelos to change the way he plays because he's picking up bookings. We could trawl through the bookings this season and 75% we could write off as nonsense based on what we're told is just "competing for the ball".

There's no doubt last night was stupid and he needs to understand the consequences of his actions but it comes back to the depth of the squad and the quality within it. Lafferty has not shown enough to displace him. Different player yes but I do think we need another option in there to drive Morelos' game forward. He's our talisman but he's also a marked man which means any infringement or perceived injustice will be magnified into producing yellows (like last night's first yellow card) for next to nothing.

This.

It's Arfield's job to link up the midfield and Morelos. It's no coincidence that Morelos gets his first deserved dismissal of the season when Arfield isn't on the park to give him some support; he was doing all the donkey work himself and getting no joy. Our midfield yesterday set him up for a fall.

I don't have a clue what the solution is. It's a unique situation.

It's very rare that a player is at the same time your best player and your biggest liability all at once.

Morelos is our best player and we are heavily reliant on him for goals.

He's also an absolute timebomb waiting to go off (that frequently does) and when it does it puts us in the shit.

Other than Morelos screwing the nut - and honestly we've been saying that for 18 months and if anything I'd say his indiscipline is getting worse not better - I don't see how we fix this.

He is being unfairly targeted by ref's too but again that's not going to change.

Just watching the replays back there again and I'm getting angrier and angrier with Morelos having calmed right down. Wtf does he think he's doing. Lets Shinnie take the ball off him and instead of going %^*& this I'm gonna win it back he decides to just throw a hand in his face, knowing full well he's on a final warning.

What Gerrard should do for a start, is sit him down in front of the TV and make him watch the incident on loop for an hour. Clearly nothing else is getting through his thick skull.

Alfredo is young and raw with a f..k the world temperament but 1 thing for sure he is quality and a rough diamond and will become a top top player.

Forgetting all the knee-jerk reactions of “sell him”...:rolleyes:

This is a big, big test of Gerrard’s man management. We went down to 10 men on Sunday, after which Gerrard publicised the fact that he’d had a word with the team about their discipline. Then tonight Morelos has another brain fade and gets another red card. It makes Gerrard look ridiculous.

The boy obviously has some talent but equally obviously needs to sort out his approach. 2 idiotic reds and a rescinded red and it’s only the start of November, plus lots of yellows. We know he is reffed to a different standard at times, but let’s be honest that a number of his cards have been for petulance or for arguing, both of which he has control over.

So what does Gerrard do? Something needs to be done but what? He’s an important player for us but we can’t afford to have him sitting in the stands instead of being on the pitch. He’s talented but needs to learn that he’s not bigger than the team. How does Gerrard get this into the player’s apparently thick skull without curbing the intensity and competitiveness which makes him the player he is. Drop him? If so, replace with Lafferty who hadn’t scored since mid-September?

Personally, I’d drop him to the bench for a few matches to teach him a lesson. I know that he’s a big player for us but this can’t continue,. He needs to wise up quickly and he seems to be showing no signs of being able to do that by himself.

One of the biggest problems Gerrard has with Morelos is that the two flutes have been utter guff and cant be trusted so Morelos cant be dropped.

Sadiq imo has been treated a bit harshly, seen worse performances this season but to be fair he doesnt look anywhere near the standard required.

Lafferty, Villareal and motherwell apart has been garbage, his performance last night was embarassing, ducking every time the ball was in the air, first touch was a pass and lucky not to be sent off

Back