Seven down, how many more?

The players who have departed hardly featured whatsoever unless we were in dire straits. So they aren’t exactly a huge loss and certainly won’t take much to replace/improve.

It’s the players of similar standard who are on a longer contract we have a problem with.

Barker, Jones, Stewart, Polster etc. These guys are nowhere near the starting 11 and hardly ever featured off the bench. Imo it points to them not being of the required standard/quality. So if we can, we should be trying to replace/upgrade these players also.

Bit harsh on Polster. He's never put a foot wrong in the limited time he's played. Hopefully with a season to settle he can kick on. Similar to Stewart who's never really had a proper run out either.
Your not going to put a foot wrong very much if you have limited time in the pitch.
Nothing against the guy, but we need a better level of player.

Ross/Robby McCrorie, Hastie out on loan.

Docherty, Murphy and Middleton moved on.

Question marks over Barker and Jones?

Unsure of bids for players like Kamara, Tavernier and Morelos?

Ojo and Kamberi return to their parent clubs.

Like it or not, we are looking at yet another summer of numerous ins and outs.

We needs a second choice keeper, left back, CM, right sided attacker and a striker at the very least. That's without losing any first team players.
That looks ok, barker and jones on loan or sold/let go.
Jones is the better of the two imo.

Docherty and Ross McCrorie must remain. They have energy, heart, pace, power and commitment to Rangers Football Club and will be be better for the squad quality than some others mentioned. If good decent fees are offered for Tavernier, Morelos and Kamara don’t be surprised if they are accepted. With a strong budget from that and the wages saved from these and the previously announced outgoing players plus others we could bring in real quality. A smaller squad but bursting with quality is what we need. And start introducing some from the Youth teams.

Barker
Jones
Docherty
McCrorie
Murphy
Stewart
Middleton

Wouldn’t be surprised to see any of them leave
Would keep Jones that stupid injury ruined his season, his pace is needed. McCrorie I wish he was at club after new year to put some fight and steel into midfield so I would keep those two.

Would keep Jones that stupid injury ruined his season, his pace is needed. McCrorie I wish he was at club after new year to put some fight and steel into midfield so I would keep those two.
All opinions mate as I said a few posts back it’s really just a list I think we’d sell. Going to be an interesting summer for the whole of football

There could in reality be another 5 or 6 who could leave and we wouldnt miss them. Scary to think that up to 12 may need the club and a good few of them will need replacing. This was the year i was hoping we would be able to enhance a largely settled squad with 3 to 4 quality upgrades in key areas. Not the case sadly.

We've been saying that for almost 4 years now.

I still don't think the penny has dropped.
Do you really think that that the management team are not looking for quality? Known quality comes with a high price tag and sadly we are not yet able to compete in that market. It looks as if we have one great opportunity now to buy quality in Hagi and I hope our finances can stretch to this acquisition. Other than that I think we will try to improve the squad within a limited budget.

Tav needs to be sold imho.....we need a new Era with a new Rangers Type Captain being a must........I said last season that I felt that a new Rangers Captain was still to be signed and I truly hope Ross and Steven are supported by the fans and the board to deliver us the really strong spine with an unstinting winning mentality is what we undoubtedly need.
I don’t ever want to hear any Rangers player state we can’t handle the pressure, especially a Captain!!!

Out of interest, who would you have as captain?

Fair shout, but you forget the quality needed to win a league.
Time to get ruthless i think.
The jacks, kamaras, goldsons etc couldnt win us anything , so i cant see how polster or stewart will.

You have listed most of the squad. Is there anyone you would keep ffs?

I'd loan Mcrorie out again next season and keep Docherty around as a squad player but yeah it's tough to see any of that list being here long term.

Signing Barker and Jones was a total waste of time and money.

I would release the following players, not because i think there bad footballers, it's just that i dont think there good enough to take us up to the next level next season.
Barker
Stewart
Murphy
Polster
Middleton

I know this happens most years with all clubs. Release players at the end of our contract etc however we have been saying about strength in depth for years now and it feels like we have to start all over again with another 6 or so signings.

You have listed most of the squad. Is there anyone you would keep ffs?
No mate, i have left mcgregor, mcrorie ( goalie),tav, barasic, edmunson, helander, goldson, kamara, jack, arfield, kent, defoe, morelos, katic.
The above were regulars but won nothing, good on their day.
The rest can go and add to the above.
The facts are we are trophy less, and something needs done to change that.

Hopefully another 6 or 7 like hastie, jones, Docherty, barker, polster and maybe a couple of others. That’s not including big money sells like Kamara and Katic which could bring us in decent money

We've been saying that for almost 4 years now.

I still don't think the penny has dropped.

It hasn’t, we all crave success and want it yesterday but people are fooling themselves and prepared to ignore a few key factors which affect our chances of winning the league...mentally challenged momentum, they’re money, our lack of it, the attraction of being the team chasing to those guys we are interested in bringing in?

More players need moved on imo added to the ones already gone and more rebuilding is required from us to get about 8 or 9 players of good quality and then it’s usual settling in period for new players and frustrations as we rarely ever get players these days hitting the ground running and are the new guys we do get going to have what it takes?

It just seems too much of an ask for our improvement to be such that we are going to finally leap frog them spectacularly in what is the most advantageous position in the entire history of Scottish football.

I would love to see it happen but I am not going to kid myself on when common sense informs me we’d need to get every single signing spot on, ready to go guys doing the business from start to finish and hoping that mob collapse but there’s no signs that is about to happen so far. It’s just going to be another season of taking part and gap closing league wise...our best chance of success will be the cups but we’ll see?

Polster, Docherty, Stewart, Jones, Barker, Middleton, Murphy, Hastie.

Remove them and we have a clean slate to enhance not only the team but the squad next season.

The above all fall into the same category they aren't good enough and fall away short of the quality required.

At a push one or two may go out on loan but I would rather all were moved on.

Out of interest, who would you have as captain?
The answer is the new future Captain that Gerrard and Wilson feels is the right signing. I want one that doesn’t think feel or say that we’re not mentally strong enough or that we feel pressure.....that’s definitely not what we need this time round!

In addition to the 7 (inc. Ojo) that have been moved on, I think we'll do the following:
Barker - Sold
Jones - Sold (£1m to £1.5m)
Docherty - Sold
McCrorie - Loaned
Murphy - Sold
Stewart - Retained in Squad
Middleton - Loaned

We're in a much stronger financial position with investment, merchandise and other season ticket and EL revenue coming in. Add in a couple of first team player sales, we should have some good money to shop in a better part of the market.

You would think it would be a buyers transfer market this summer.

It hasn’t, we all crave success and want it yesterday but people are fooling themselves and prepared to ignore a few key factors which affect our chances of winning the league...mentally challenged momentum, they’re money, our lack of it, the attraction of being the team chasing to those guys we are interested in bringing in?

More players need moved on imo added to the ones already gone and more rebuilding is required from us to get about 8 or 9 players of good quality and then it’s usual settling in period for new players and frustrations as we rarely ever get players these days hitting the ground running and are the new guys we do get going to have what it takes?

It just seems too much of an ask for our improvement to be such that we are going to finally leap frog them spectacularly in what is the most advantageous position in the entire history of Scottish football.

I would love to see it happen but I am not going to kid myself on when common sense informs me we’d need to get every single signing spot on, ready to go guys doing the business from start to finish and hoping that mob collapse but there’s no signs that is about to happen so far. It’s just going to be another season of taking part and gap closing league wise...our best chance of success will be the cups but we’ll see?

I think you may be wrong.

We're pretty much in the last-chance-saloon, none more so than Steven Gerrard. The board know that we need to throw everything but the kitchen sink at this one.

It's do or die. Death or glory.

We need to pull something special out of the hat. I believe we will.

I rather see us reduce the size of the 1st team squad, bring in some genuine quality & use our youth to fill up the squad rather than journeymen & loan signings.
We could have used youth players more than we have done. The description of 19/20 year olds as babies by Gerrard is ludicrous. Has he forgotten how he Owen, Fowler etc started? Plus even closer to home the number of guys in our league who have had regular games at 18 or so and done a decent job.

I was over in Denmark for our qualifier when we signed Barker and I thought my mate was at the wind up. Told me give him a chance, seem enough at Hibs to know he was rotten
You’ll get hounded for this post if he leaves and puts a nice wee comment about us on his instagram...

Awful player

Getting rid of the players we want is always hard because nobody is willing to even cover their wages nevermind pay a fee.

This will be even worse after this crisis, the players we want out the door, the level of clubs they are good enough for won't have a coin between them.

Can't see us getting many off the books other than loans with us paying the vast majority of their wage anyway.

Somebody above thinking anyone will pay for Barker and give £1m+ for Jones? Not going to happen and we all know it.

Getting rid of the players we want is always hard because nobody is willing to even cover their wages nevermind pay a fee.

This will be even worse after this crisis, the players we want out the door, the level of clubs they are good enough for won't have a coin between them.

Can't see us getting many off the books other than loans with us paying the vast majority of their wage anyway.

Somebody above thinking anyone will pay for Barker and give £1m+ for Jones? Not going to happen and we all know it.

Getting a £1m for Jones is feasible. Especially from Championship clubs.

We'll find out in the next transfer window.

The answer is the new future Captain that Gerrard and Wilson feels is the right signing. I want one that doesn’t think feel or say that we’re not mentally strong enough or that we feel pressure.....that’s definitely not what we need this time round!

Whoever it is should be very vocal and ready to hand out a rollocking during a game.

No way would I get rid of mccrorie.

The boys ideal for games like tynecastle and pittodrie etc

This thing that he cant pass a ball is a myth and frankly Davis sitting in these games hasnt worked and we should have players like mccrorie who will smash anyone and battle for everything.

I think you may be wrong.

We're pretty much in the last-chance-saloon, none more so than Steven Gerrard. The board know that we need to throw everything but the kitchen sink at this one.

It's do or die. Death or glory.

We need to pull something special out of the hat. I believe we will.

I hope we can pull something special out of the hat too but I don’t think this board are going to throw everything at it to stop this bullshit...we have a budget and there are SOME good players out there who we could afford and they could make a huge difference to us in the quest for silverware but it’s trusting the club and the manager to identify the right ones and getting them signed?

Can see us getting rid of another 5 or so. Fingers crossed we can get 3 or 4 starters in the door as a minimum.

Not happening unfortunately. Assuming Morelos stays we’re looking at 2 at best. We have 4 CBs and unless we sell one then won’t strengthen there. Tav and Barisic will be starters as will Shagger.

That leaves midfield to front. Morelos, Hagi, Kent and Jack will be starters. That leaves Davis, Kamara & Aribo and all are arguably starters.

Many seem to think that Hagi was not worth the money and we need proven winners. We don’t shop in that market anymore as we simply can’t.

Would love to know what players we are bringing in when we’ve probably spent the majority of our budget on Hagi.

Of the group who’ve been released, the one I’m more concerned about replacing is Wes. He was a great back-up keeper and I never had any worries about him stepping in for Shagger.
A back-up left back is now a necessity, and as much as Andy and Flano gave their all when they were given game time, I feel we need much better quality for the times when Borna is not part of the first eleven.

Agree Cooper11.

I thought Wes told us he had to go to get first team football to be honest.

Another 4 or 5 possibly. We need quality over quantity now. That'll be the difference next season

I understand why people are saying that, but if we have a small squad and we’re playing Europa League qualifiers and midweeks all over Europe again, I won’t be surprised to see another February collapse.

Got to balance the face we need a squad of 20/21 but also the fact we need to improve our 1-11 also with 2/3 bits of quality. It may even mean a Katic for example goes out to be replaced by someone deemed better and going to improve the starting 11.
P.S. not saying Katic should go but it’s a likely scenario.

None of the the longer he's out the better he gets nonsense, Ross McCrorie is a tank and is brilliant for tough games away from home where it becomes a battle. He isn't as good technically as the others, no doubt about it, but he wins the ball in the air, breaks up play and wins us the ball back nearly every time.

He should be going nowhere.

For me, Brandon Barker is the most obvious player we could do without. For the life of me I dont get what Gerrard sees in him. As much as I love Steve Davis I think he could also be let go as it seems his legs are starting to go. Beyond those two, I'm not convinced we can rely on Kamberi and Stewart. A lot depends on Alfie's status when the new season starts, but if the opportunity arose I would be tempted to upgrade at least one of them.

Having said all that, and presuming we sign Hagi, I think the one player we need is a ball winning central midfielder. Someone with a big of fight and experience to coordinate things and pull the team together. I think we have the talent, we just need that one missing part to be a very, very, good team. I be cashing in as much as I can on Barker/Davis/Stewart (or Kamberi) and putting their wages, plus any fee we get, into that one player.

edit: I believed Jones and Docherty had already gone, but if they havent, that's two more we can afford to let go imho.

The strangest thing about it is everyone seemed to know at the time he signed that he would be nowhere good enough. A really odd decision by the club/gerrard or both.

I think it's because went all out for Kent and didn't have an alternative and Barker was essentially bought incase Kent didn't arrive for whatever reason Mark Allen had an obsession with Barker.

We can't afford to pull that stunt again we went into the early European campaign/domestic season with a limited front line and it could easily have backfired on us.

Looking back it was a risky gamble which I hope we don't ever repeat again.

Although I'm a Kent fan we should have split the £7 million and bought in two forwards of quality either side of Morelos things could have been different instead of waiting last minute and blowing most of the budget on one player.

No way would I get rid of mccrorie.

The boys ideal for games like tynecastle and pittodrie etc

This thing that he cant pass a ball is a myth and frankly Davis sitting in these games hasnt worked and we should have players like mccrorie who will smash anyone and battle for everything.
There has been numerous games our midfield have been completely anonymous, McCrorie might not be able to pass the ball as well as Davis but for his role he doesn't need to and I doubt he would go missing just as easily, even in his bad games he would still have a physical presence. If we are at Ibrox, having McCrorie sitting in front of the defence and letting the rest of the middle to front attack would do far more damage.

I was over in Denmark for our qualifier when we signed Barker and I thought my mate was at the wind up. Told me give him a chance, seem enough at Hibs to know he was rotten

I was over in Porto for our group stage game and thought he was immense as were they all,

I only watch Hibs when we play them so can’t comment on what he was like for them.

Another player who has never really been given a chance a bit like Jones.

Bit harsh on Polster. He's never put a foot wrong in the limited time he's played. Hopefully with a season to settle he can kick on. Similar to Stewart who's never really had a proper run out either.

Polster came on at half time at Tynecastle and despite taking the lead we lost the game, the defence was a shambles, he came on with 5 mins to go in our last European game and cost us the third goal within minutes.

Back