SFA and SPFL to ask the government for a bail out

1288Bear

I'd rather see away games beamed back to Ibrox. The money will be split with the home team (more cash for both), but the club can make a little extra on catering
Sky already have exclusive rights for these games so not sure it's an option.

Even if it was an option it would cost and you would assume that, as it would also be on Sky, it would not be as popular as watching away games such as Livi, Ross County or the like, at home or in the pub. That being the case there may not be the financial benefit you might expect if it wasn't televised elsewhere - particularly if you were splitting the money.

nemessis

Shouldn't the mhanks be paying Doncaster's wages anyway as he basically works for them, and people like the low level paper gatherer, and millionaire Rangers hater McLennan shouldn't get a penny of any taxpayers money by way of a clubs bailout.

Mexi

Sky already have exclusive rights for these games so not sure it's an option.

Even if it was an option it would cost and you would assume that, as it would also be on Sky, it would not be as popular as watching away games such as Livi, Ross County or the like, at home or in the pub. That being the case there may not be the financial benefit you might expect if it wasn't televised elsewhere - particularly if you were splitting the money.
It's the difference between 2000 Bears travelling to Dingwall for a game compared to lmaybe 5-8000 Bears going to Ibrox for the beamback. I reckon there's a fair number of WoS based supporters who would prefer that to the travelling to the other end of the country

Barrymoped

Read online Hearts fans were given a pledge that if they got a ST, they’d get admission to 18 games (even if it meant it would roll into the next season)

Now it appears the club are backtracking - and you can understand why - however their fans aren’t as understanding on the matter

I suspect many Hearts fans, and fans of other clubs, will now be looking for a partial refund. The only 2 teams I think that will be ok are us/Celtic
My Killie supporting mate has the same pledge from their club. Ie any home games you can’t attend will be given as a discount on next years ST. When I suggested at this rate that would mean Killie giving away all STs for free next year he suddenly wasn’t so sure.

No club up here could afford that, it’s madness.

a_weir

Don't you dare mention that great mans name in the same sentence as Doncaster :))

Aww Skew

My Killie supporting mate has the same pledge from their club. Ie any home games you can’t attend will be given as a discount on next years ST. When I suggested at this rate that would mean Killie giving away all STs for free next year he suddenly wasn’t so sure.

Definitely think there’ll be a lot of backtracking however with no guarantee fans will be able to attend next season, it’ll be interesting to see ST uptake across the board

To be honest, it’s left a bitter taste that I could’ve got access to the 17 home games minus Celtic for £170 but instead it’s working out at £500. Don’t get me wrong, I knew risks and happy the club got the money but another season of that scenario will put a % of fans off

It’ll be interesting to see how clubs approach it - I will absolutely renew but still think the club needs to approach it carefully

1288Bear

It's the difference between 2000 Bears travelling to Dingwall for a game compared to lmaybe 5-8000 Bears going to Ibrox for the beamback. I reckon there's a fair number of WoS based supporters who would prefer that to the travelling to the other end of the country
There would indeed be interest probably close to the figures you suggest, however, the Sky deal was negotiated on the basis that they had exclusive rights to the games so they would either block this option totally or charge so much that, allowing for splitting the profit as you suggest, it may not be the money spinner you would initially think.

We do need to be exploring all avenues to increase our income and ideas such as this are certainly worth considering.

andrewmont1

This article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54019867 shows what clubs in the EPL are doing. Looks like most havent sold any season tickets at all. Oh, to have the wealth to be able to fund that.

ChildOfGod

There will be shouts for players to take cuts etc but that's for individual clubs and their contracts.
But it starts at the top his vastly over the top salary should be cut. Sacking if football doesnt open.
Yes , make them redundant

TheFridge

As a tax payer I would be raging that my money was being used to fund football. If the clubs can't sustain themselves then they can drop do division 3 and start again like we did. %^*& them.

stonewall Jackson

I've a feeling this could shake up the entire British game. English lower league clubs will disappear too. Could actually end up being an opportunity for us and I won't give one single f*ck for any Scottish club going to the wall. I really hope it's a few of the 2012 mob.
I concur with your reasoning but it's a risky path. If major clubs up here go to the wall and we dont get the move to England its curtains for us as well.

BSPECIAL

Should heve fined celtic and aberdeen more to top up their fund. Ask the snp for money or use some of the money they stole from use with their made up rules and held back funds when they tried to destroy us.
These rhats don't deserve help after all the damage they have done in the last few months alone. Hope some disappear altogether.

DeeCeeTee

Do really think 5000 fans would go to Ibrox to watch a beam back against Ross County?

The Dude

Do really think 5000 fans would go to Ibrox to watch a beam back against Ross County?
Yes. Almost 40,000 once went to watch a reserve game
5000 went to watch the Colts at Ibrox last season
Beambacks used to get pretty decent numbers back in the 90s when they were first done too iirc.

DeeCeeTee

Yes. Almost 40,000 once went to watch a reserve game
5000 went to watch the Colts at Ibrox last season
Beambacks used to get pretty decent numbers back in the 90s when they were first done too iirc.
Who were the opponents for the 40k game and the 5k colts game?

Porto Loyal

National clinical director Jason Leitch clarified the Government's stance yesterday, saying:.....

"What we're pausing is any progression to more opening. That doesn't seem the right thing to do, when we are restricting people in their own households and restricting hospitality so severely, to start to think about opening stadia.

"But we're reviewing that every three weeks. We're not ruling it out, but we're pausing that opening."

'Doesn't seem the right thing to do' is not the same as clinically neccessary

DeeCeeTee

Celtic reserves
Wrexham
Both big games for the reserves and colts with what was on the line, and most importantly, a chance to watch live football and see potential future stars for the first time.

You can’t honestly say that they compare to watching a screen 80 plus meters away of a game against Ross County in the league.

1288Bear

A game they can't get tickets for and would otherwise not be televised? Maybe

This is a chance to find out
The big problem is that virtually all of our away games are, in fact, televised.

Worth gauging interest, cost and potential income though but I think Sky, having exclusive rights, may prove to be the stumbling block.

LLLG

It should and hopefully will be refused instantly

people going homeless and dying but maxwell and lawell need a bail out - I don’t think so

The Dude

Both big games for the reserves and colts with what was on the line, and most importantly, a chance to watch live football and see potential future stars for the first time.

You can’t honestly say that they compare to watching a screen 80 plus meters away of a game against Ross County in the league.

I'm not sure I buy the line over what was at stake for the colts. Think a lot of it was down to the fact that the club actually advertised it for a change and we've a group of fans who'll go watch anything if they are in Rangers tops.

The reserve one was in the middle of september of something and had no particular meaning iirc but a lack of first-team game saw fans turn out in massive numbers.

change consent