SFA approve Martindale as "fit and proper"

Whats you thought's on the people's lives he helped destroy? Just forget about that so he can manage a team.

Pretty much yes.

It's not like he was convicted yesterday and just started managing a team now. He has been working in football for years now.

He paid his dues, learned his lesson and bettered himself by going to University and tried to give something back by working in the community.

What is the point in prison if not to help rehabilitate someone and to turn their life around. Would you prefer he wasn't rehabilitated and continued down the same path he was on?

It's a sad world if that is the case.

I dont know of these types can drop from the income he was getting to the wage he is on now.
Its easier going up the way with income than down.
Do you think Paul Ferris sits in the house and writes books.

If a guy who's committed a serious offence like drug dealing and money laundering is "fit and proper," you really can't fail the test.

I dont really care about Martindale on a personal level, but I do think it makes a mockery of having a test in the first place.
Does the test not take into account time that has elapsed, the rehabilitation that has taken place, contrition and contribution to society since the offence? Surely all fair factors to be taken into account.

I dont know of these types can drop from the income he was getting to the wage he is on now.
Its easier going up the way with income than down.
Do you think Paul Ferris sits in the house and writes books.
I’m not sure his earnings were that great during the years he spent in the clink.

Pretty much yes.

It's not like he was convicted yesterday and just started managing a team now. He has been working in football for years now.

He paid his dues, learned his lesson and bettered himself by going to University and tried to give something back by working in the community.

What is the point in prison if not to help rehabilitate someone and to turn their life around. Would you prefer he wasn't rehabilitated and continued down the same path he was on?

that works both ways. why the F&P now when he’s been involved for ages? So assistant manager doesn’t matter but manager does?

My issue is more with the F&P farce than it is with Martindale. Good luck to him on a human level but the F&P process is there to protect something, presumably the integrity of Scottish football (no laughing at the back). It’s not important enough to extend to assistant managers (even though it’s well known he runs the show at Livi and has done for years) but it then gets invoked when he becomes a manager.

Then you consider his crime and you have to ask yourself again, what would constitute “unfit”?

The people on here saying “he’s paid his dues” are displaying commendable humanity and i don’t disagree on that level, but i don’t think that’s really thinking it through

If they didn't they would have to look into baseball bat thug gallagher ,racist scum griffiths and many more.

Folk seem to be forgetting Claudio Caniggia was a raging coke fiend.

Not one word was uttered about his past when we signed him.

Nothing against the guy but by God does he need to work on his presentation. He sounds like a right proper ned ffs.

It must be difficult for any genuinely rehabilitated person to have to sit while that bunch sit in judgement if your character.

Not the correct decision for me. In my opinion he should be nowhere near professional football. The guy was convicted if drug trafficking and money laundering. He was the most 2 to one of the biggest drug dealers in the country. Who knows how many lives he destroyed while dealing drugs.

Tbh I find it astonishing how many on here think this is a good decision.

Allowing him to continue in football sends out all the wrong signals.
I understand the point you are making and it is fair enough.

The problem i have with that is if you don't allow anyone a second chance, if rehabilitation isn't allowed, you create an army of men (some women but mostly men) who have no other option but to provide for themselves through crime.

I don’t think it even should of got this far. The man served his time and has proven he’s trying to be a better person.
The sfa have also employed Malky Mckay and are allowing players like Griffiths Gallagher and even flannagan play with criminal records so couldn’t really go against him

Pretty much yes.

Well said.

The SFA should be getting slaughtered for even turning this into issue. Obviously I don’t agree with what he done, but everyone should be allowed the opportunity to rehabilitate themselves. It doesn’t take an SFA panel to see the guy has clearly done this.
Anything to avoid the more pressing matters they'll never address.

Question, for those who think this is the correct decision (which I tend to agree with), would you therefore accepted him as Rangers manager in future if he proved to be an excellent manager or still be wary given his past?
He's shown that he's put all that behind him and if he was a proven manager then yes I'd accept him as our manager.

Drug dealers are scumbags. An ex major drug dealer as a top flight football manager ? Whit next ? Barry Hughes as Partick Thistle manager ? Jamie the ice man stevenson as 1st team coach of Motherwell ?

Common sense prevailed. He knows he behaved appallingly but he's rehabilitated and paid his dues to society and now deserves a second chance.

Willing customers.
Willing customers who come from all levels of society. Start charging the users and there will be a lot of embarrassed people out there, along with a few pieces of evidence going missing.

What we have now, is the exact same position america was in with prohibition. People from all walks breaking the law and quite happy to keep the dealers in a very lucrative business for their own entertainment.

All the "Holier than thou" crap in here is embarrassing.

If people aren't allowed to redeem themselves, what's the point?

If you're using football players or managers as role models, please hand your children over to someone more capable of raising them.

I think that was the correct decision. Guy has done his time and turned his life around.

I must be honest, I was half expecting our authorities to take the wrong decision

seems because he`s doing well it`s a good decision, if he had 7 defeats in a row would people feel different, FF is some place at times

Correct decision, I think the guy has earned this second chance, and IMO is less likely to fook it up due to his profile in football. He'll know people will be watching out for him to slip up, so good luck to him.

Back