SFA approve Martindale as "fit and proper"

Would you accept Duncan Ferguson as a manager? (Ignoring his obvious lack of credentials)

That’s a good point. Did Ferguson need to go through a fit and proper test when he took over as interim manager for Everton?

Not the correct decision for me. In my opinion he should be nowhere near professional football. The guy was convicted if drug trafficking and money laundering. He was the most 2 to one of the biggest drug dealers in the country. Who knows how many lives he destroyed while dealing drugs.

Tbh I find it astonishing how many on here think this is a good decision.

Allowing him to continue in football sends out all the wrong signals.

Glad to hear this. I can understand those who have issues with it but you need to give people a second chance in life.

Last edited:
It actual makes a mockery of the whole “fit and proper” process. I have to say i think Martindale’s role in that club has always been odd but it’s their business and always was. But if he’s “fit and proper”, and Ashley was and Charles’s Green was, what exactly does “unfit and improper” look like?

Serious question, before people post pictures of Lawell and Lennon :)
I never got what his role was either and wondered why kenny miller and holt chucked it.

Question, for those who think this is the correct decision (which I tend to agree with), would you therefore accepted him as Rangers manager in future if he proved to be an excellent manager or still be wary given his past?
The guy has served his time and repented his sins and in Gods eyes that is a righteous as you and me, maybe even more.

I never got what his role was either and wondered why kenny miller and holt chucked it.
lot of rumours about him and the owners. I’ll admit he’s clearly a decent coach but for years it seemed like he was the owner’s place man and the real manager. If you ever watched Martindale and Holt on the touch line, it was clear who was no1 and no2

The crime he was convicted of was very serious and brings with it misery and death I don’t think he should be given a second chance at all it’s harsh but these people never change they are motivated by greed and don’t care what damage they do to individuals or society he was inside for a few year yet was able to pay back over £140k to the proceeds of crime how did he fund this ? Sorry I think it’s the wrong decision He is controlling Livingston he pulls the strings the last 4 managers were interviewed by him! and had to take him as their assistant Ask Kenny Miller what he thinks about livi set up ?

Not the correct decision for me. In my opinion he should be nowhere near professional football. The guy was convicted if drug trafficking and money laundering. He was the most 2 to one of the biggest drug dealers in the country. Who knows how many lives he destroyed while dealing drugs.

I agree mate, this “ he has paid his dues “ is rubbish.
If somebody died which no doubt someone did via his drugs then three and a half years is a joke.
I am in my 50s and have never touched drugs.
The problem is that there are so many on coke and the like and they think its acceptable.

The guy has served his time and repented his sins and in Gods eyes that is a righteous as you and me, maybe even more.
So you would be happy with him taking over from Gerrard in future if he excelled as a manager? That’s a perfectly reasonable position to have. I just get the impression that some people might be completely happy with him being passed fit and proper as long as he is managing another team and not representing Rangers.

More money thrown away. He was appointed by Livi as their manager, that should have been enough for the SFA.
Congratulations to Martindale. I hope he has a good career apart from when his teams play us!

Would you accept Duncan Ferguson as a manager? (Ignoring his obvious lack of credentials)
Drug trafficking will massively impact many more lives than the assaults Duncan Ferguson was convicted of, and no I probably wouldn’t want Duncan Ferguson managing us. I was simply asking a question though as I was truly interested in hearing people’s takes on it.

So you would be happy with him taking over from Gerrard in future if he excelled as a manager? That’s a perfectly reasonable position to have. I just get the impression that some people might be completely happy with him being passed fit and proper as long as he is managing another team and not representing Rangers.
I would have no problem with him managing us in the future as long as he warrants the acclaimed position

It actual makes a mockery of the whole “fit and proper” process. I have to say i think Martindale’s role in that club has always been odd but it’s their business and always was. But if he’s “fit and proper”, and Ashley was and Charles’s Green was, what exactly does “unfit and improper” look like?

I'm not sure you can say it makes a mockery of the process when the vast majority of that process took place behind closed doors. I don't know how much of his case the SFA will make public but we have no idea what Martindale said in his interview(s), what was said about him by his peers, rehabilitation professionals etc.

Edit: in his bio it says Martindale began his work at Livi as a volunteer. I can tell you right now that gets huge brownie points with these type of panels and professional bodies.

Was interested to see what the comments on here would be.

My opinion is he's served his time and if we believe in rehabilitation, then his conviction shouldn't stop him from continuing in the role.

That being said, it's interesting where you'd draw the line (myself included) as to what sort of convictions are acceptable/unacceptable. Don't need to mention the obvious ones but clearly there are wider implications in relation to drugs.

Alistair Johnston is apparently not a fit and proper person.

I'm not sure you can say it makes a mockery of the process when the vast majority of that process took place behind closed doors. I don't know how much of his case the SFA will make public but we have no idea what Martindale said in his interview(s), what was said about him by his peers, rehabilitation professionals etc.

Edit: in his bio it says Martindale began his work at Livi as a volunteer. I can tell you right now that gets huge brownie points with these type of panels and professional bodies.
I'm sure I heard that many in professional capacity in football had lined up to give him a character reference. Plus he's done his time etc. Never in doubt he should have been cleared

Also for the people claiming he has served his time and is rehabilitated. As recent as 2017 and 2018 the authority's were still chasing him for money under proceed of crime act. He was trying to avaid paying money back. Not the actions of a changed man in my view.

It does provoke a moral dilemma no doubt.

On one hand Society must have a belief that offenders can 'do their time' and be given another chance become part of that Society.

On the other hand, you could argue the type of crime must have an influence whether someone should be accepted back into Society.

No black and white on this I'm afraid. I can see both points of view.

The guy done his time for his crime. For the past 7 years he has turned his life around. In Britain we are all about rehabilitation for offenders he was punished for his crime has by all accounts been on the right path and should be used for those who might be in crime at the moment. If his crime is always going to hold him back then why bother change and try to better yourself?

i suppose i meant it makes a mockery of the concept itself. By its nature, it has to become quasi-judicial and the “quasi” bit will be badly exposed if someone is ruled unfit without there being actual active criminal behaviour involved.

Correct decision. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act is there for a reason.

If we as a society don't allow those with a criminal record to have legal and meaningful employment, you can't complain if they continue with a life of crime given they have no other means of employment.

He has been punished, his crimes are now spent and he should be allowed to get on with his life, as should anyone with a criminal record.

The SFA employed a racist bhigot in Malky McKay and capped a thug like Gallagher. They stayed silent for decades while one Club brought the national game into disrepute with a child abuse cover-up scandal.
The only moral high ground they can legitimately stand on is a dung heap.

Don't agree with this. Read up about his actions. He wasn't some daft young guy who got caught up in the wrong crowd. He was a major player in an international drug trafficking and money laundering ring. This sends out the wrong message to young football fans.

It’s the right decision rightly or wrongly he has paid his dues to society for the crimes he committed.

Amazing on twitter the amount of people who think he shouldnt be allowed in the game, but have no problem with Declan Gallagher who nearly killed a guy with a baseball which was so severe he got two years for the assault.

The crimes he went to prison for are abhorrent and the sentence imposed reflects that. I completely understand people having reservations about this decision but ultimately punishment has to stop somewhere. It is infinitely better for society as a whole if those who can be rehabilitated are rehabilitated, the alternative is that they fall back into crime.

It’s not like it could of been any other result. Unless they have rules that someone that has been in jail can’t hold a position. Which they obviously don’t.

it’s not like he’s a guy who stole something or even got into a fight etc. He was involved in violent criminal gang and sold drugs to primarily young men, profiting off their misery.

I confess i don’t know the explanation for his never-ending role at Livi but let’s just say it’s a bit odd.

The debt to society line is all very well, but then why have F&P at all. It’s about the integrity of the game - whatever that means - and if Martindale is F&P, then i ask again... what does unfit look like and how can a football panel adjudicate that?

Gotta laugh at the irony of the situation, an institution that is itself not fit and proper, making decisions on who in the game is fit and proper to manage. Hopefully the guy is rehabilitated and deserves the second chance. I wouldn't trust the SFA or SPFL to manage their lunch order.

When do they start reviewing themselves to establish if they are fit and proper?
Might be the right time for Dingbat Desmond to ask for twenty incidents of Eastern European money laundering to be taken into account

it’s not like he’s a guy who stole something or even got into a fight etc. He was involved in violent criminal gang and sold drugs to primarily young men, profiting off their misery.

I confess i don’t know the explanation for his never-ending role at Livi but let’s just say it’s a bit odd.

The debt to society line is all very well, but then why have F&P at all. It’s about the integrity of the game - whatever that means - and if Martindale is F&P, then i ask again... what does unfit look like and how can a football panel adjudicate that?
A person unfit for the game maybe someone currently selling drugs.

Professional panels make these sort of decisions all the time in medicine, law etc.

Question, for those who think this is the correct decision (which I tend to agree with), would you therefore accepted him as Rangers manager in future if he proved to be an excellent manager or still be wary given his past?
Wouldn’t care about his past.

Would be more bothered with how he currently carries himself!

Back