Sfa plan to buy Hampden for just 2 million

Recoba

Official Ticketer
SFA plan to buy Hampden in a deal that could cost just £2million
Talks have been held over a cut-price deal to safeguard the future of the national stadium and stop Scotland moving to Murrayfield.

• Hampden in a cut price deal that could be worth just £2 million.

Football bosses have moved to safeguard the national stadium’s future.

But an insider warned that if a deal isn’t reached, matches will end up being played at Murrayfield.

Members of amateur side Queen’s Park met last night to discuss a formal approach from the SFA to enter into discussions about a sale.

Sources say any deal is likely to be worth “significantly less” than £5million.

More than £60million was spent on redevelopment of the stadium in the late 90s, including £40million from the public purse.

Sources claim the stadium, which has stood since 1903, would be all but worthless without football as the costs associated with clearing a mothballed site would be huge.

An insider said the SFA are deadly serious about their proposal.

They said: “If a deal to buy Hampden doesn’t stack up, they’ll move to Murrayfield. They’re not kidding on.

“Hampden stands as a monolith and more must be done to engage it with the local community, as well as provide a greater experience for fans.

“Rule nothing out for the future. Everything is on the table and up for discussion. Scottish football is changing.”

Queens Park confirmed an approach had been made.

They said: “Scottish football has changed since we were formed in 1867 and from when we moved into the existing Hampden in 1903, so perhaps this is the time to look at a new ownership model for the stadium.

“The request was presented to members of our club. Their responses will help inform how the club moves forward.”

The SFA lease Hampden from Queen’s Park, Scotland’s oldest club, for £800,000 a year and the current deal expires in 2020.

The stadium has been criticised by fans who say the atmosphere is poor and the sloping stands leave them too far from the action.

The SFA are looking at putting safe standing areas behind the goals before redeveloping the east and west stands to bring fans closer to the action.

They also want to make the stadium more of a community hub and it’s understood Glasgow City Council would move offices and services to the ground.

The Scottish Rugby Union are keen to bring major club and international football fixtures to Edinburgh.

The SFA board recently threw out a proposal from Celtic and Rangers to host big games at their Parkhead and Ibrox stadiums.

They prefer to keep them at Hampden or host them at Murrayfield, not least because the SRU tendered a bid at a fraction of the cost of the big two.

The seven-strong SFA board will meet tomorrow to discuss developments and some members are keen to move along the M8 on the basis of cost.

However, others are anxious to remain at the home of Scottish football and are mindful of its place in sporting history.

An announcement is expected later this year and if Queen’s Park members agree to a sale, the SFA are expected to fund a new stand at Lesser Hampden, a training pitch beside the main stadium. They will also be given financial security for at least a decade.

But the source said: “The SFA appreciate the need to protect their oldest member club but give them finance that would allow them to do a Gretna and run through the leagues? No chance.”

The Scottish FA said: “We are working with all key stakeholders to consider the strategic, financial, operational and supporter-related aspects of each option with a view to making a decision later this year.”

Oh good "Scottish Football is changing".

How many new dawns is that now?
Think Rinus Michels is the first one I can remember.
Cannae wait.

£2million, they're taking the piss. How much would it be worth for flats?

Deliberate low ball offer that's gets rejected, so they have "no choice" but to move to the scum hut

£2million, they're taking the piss. How much would it be worth for flats?

Deliberate low ball offer that's gets rejected, so they have "no choice" but to move to the scum hut
I thought the only options left were Hampden or Murrayfield?

But the source said: “The SFA appreciate the need to protect their oldest member club but give them finance that would allow them to do a Gretna and run through the leagues? No chance.”

So the SFA are in the business of protecting clubs now?
I wonder what clown actually thinks we'll believe that.
Probably the same type of idiot who thinks Queens Park could 'do a Gretna'
The same Queens Park who are the only amateur team in the SPFL.

If they could sort out the ends behind the goals then they could salvage something. Demolish those stands and bring them in far closer to the action.

The SFA board recently threw out a proposal from Celtic and Rangers to host big games at their Parkhead and Ibrox stadiums.

Two strange comments.

The SFA did not 'throw out a proposal' from us and the Yahoos. They invited one which they subsequently declined.

Queens Park are an amateur club and there is no desire from its members to become professional. After 150 years, this is pretty much who they are. There is no chance of them 'doing a Gretna'.

Keep the main stand knock the rest down. Rebuild the rest %^*& knows where the money would come from but. The stadium at it stands is not fit for purpose.

GCC moving in, that’ll be the Tim’s getting their planners fully embedded then!

I don't expect this view to be shared on here (and in the interests of transparency, I'm in favour of staying at Hampden, for a variety of reasons)....

But there is some sense in amongst this. If we take the starting position being a willingness to retain Hampden as a football stadium, and for it to remain the home of football here, then we're in the position of having the main owners being a small amateur club who would be unable to deliver the required longer term changes to the infrastructure. Assuming that onus should then (rightly) fall on the SFA, then some sort of cut-price deal to shift the responsibility for the stadium onto them, whilst presumably leaving financial head-space to sort out the two end stands as a priority... wouldn't seem the worst way forward....?

I realise that makes a lot of assumptions about the calibre and integrity of the individuals involved......

They get 8(?) matches a year at the stadium and free office space

Why should Queens Park give their stadium away ?

Im not entirely sure what the agenda is here.

After turning the issue to 'ownership' any agenda to lease the piggery is surely dead

Unless its SFA 'factions' putting fake news out to prevent the other side getting what they want

Buying it for £2m is good if (and I mean IF) they then invest some money in and around the stadium.

It also means that games won’t be moved to the piggery.

Jury’s out on this one.

It's clear the sfa had no intention of moving from hampden. And this exercise has purely been a propaganda stunt to try and appease those who want to move

They get 8(?) matches a year at the stadium and free office space

Why should Queens Park give their stadium away ?

Im not entirely sure what the agenda is here.

After turning the issue to 'ownership' any agenda to lease the piggery is surely dead

Unless its SFA 'factions' putting fake news out to prevent the other side getting what they want

QP don’t have a choice, if the SFA walk away the running costs alone will destroy QP, at this they still get to lodge and they have lesser Hampden.

QP don’t have a choice, if the SFA walk away the running costs alone will destroy QP, at this they still get to lodge and they have lesser Hampden.
They do have a choice - Demolish the stadium!

Let it lie a few years & then sell the land.

So, they plan on spending £2m on a shithole. No doubt they'll spend loads of money refurbishing it and it'll still be a shithole.

I think most people have an emotional attachment to Hampden of some sort, everybody has a great memory of attending a match there, as Rangers fans we have more good memories than anyone.
The fact is though- it isn’t fit for purpose anymore, even if they completely refurbish the place it still won’t be fit for purpose. It was built in a bygone era when very few cars were on the road, nowadays it’s an absolute nightmare to get to and from on a match day, our supporters bus has to leave half an hour earlier and it takes about two hours to get home after a game.....it takes us an hour from Ibrox. The motorway links and parking facilities are laughable in this day and age. I would happily go to Murrayfield for finals and semis.

Two strange comments.

The SFA did not 'throw out a proposal' from us and the Yahoos. They invited one which they subsequently declined.

Queens Park are an amateur club and there is no desire from its members to become professional. After 150 years, this is pretty much who they are. There is no chance of them 'doing a Gretna'.
That bemused me too, strange thing to say. Would love to know who's narrative that actually was

Tin hat on but I think they've played this quite smart. The costs of demolishing hampden and deveoping it would limit any profits. I think they'll get the deal pushed through.

As said, if there was a cheapish way of doing a suttgart type behind the goal redevelopment, it'd enhance the stadium no end.

IF they spent money on the redevelopment of the stadium as mooted in the OP, then it would be worthwhile to perhaps stay at Hampden.

My preference is to take the game around the country as per opposition and crowd and only use Hampden for the 'bigger' qualification matches and domestic cup finals.

So the SFA are in the business of protecting clubs now?
I wonder what clown actually thinks we'll believe that.
Probably the same type of idiot who thinks Queens Park could 'do a Gretna'
The same Queens Park who are the only amateur team in the SPFL.

The whole thing reads like a propaganda piece. Why are negotiations on this being played out in the Daily Record?

I thought the only options left were Hampden or Murrayfield?
They are, but we can’t let that get in the way of a good rant!

I actually think this was the SFAs plan all along, using Murrayfield to get a better deal for Hampden. It’s a bit of a joke that Queen’s Park get to own a stadium they effectively get for nothing. Paying compensation and moving them to lesser Hampden makes the most sense.

Reactions: M@x
There is potential for a big stadium there given the amount of land taken up but even if the 3 older stands were demolished and rebuilt, the Main Stand isn’t that big and we still have the problems with location and travel.

I always think that the pitch could be lowered quite a bit to bring the stands closer to the pitch and add extra seats. It wouldn’t cost a lot, don’t know why it’s never been considered.

If they could sort out the ends behind the goals then they could salvage something. Demolish those stands and bring them in far closer to the action.
Lower the pitch and increase the capacity. That would get them far more cash and solve the distance issue.

Where are the "it's all a big plan to make the piggery the national stadium" posters? :D

Come on, there were plenty of you!

Edit: I see there's one already above

I was one of them, and I'm delighted the SFA have now publicly ruled out any possibility of moving Scotland matches and cup finals to either Ibrox or the The Fields of Shame.

Given everything that has happened to us in the past, and the liberal sprinkling of (shall we say) those of an republican romanist immigrant persuasion in the SFA, I still don't think that those concerns were unfounded. :D

Like I said when it was first mooted, all the posturing about moving was the prelude to raping Queens park.

If Queens Park can trouser 2M and be allowed to continue using Hampden rent free then I think that is not a bad deal for them. I hope that they accept.

How many countries have a standalone national stadium hosting 10 or fewer games per year?
It can't be many
I am not sure that model is particularly viable in any country let alone with a population like Scotland
Queens Oark should be looking to realise the maximum possible value from the site and move to a ground more commensurate with their status.
The SFA should be looking to rent office space at an appropriate rate in an office build and utilise the most appropriate ground for each game on a case by case basis
Ours or theirs for the big games, Edinburgh or Aberdeen grounds for others, Murrayfield when we play them in a Cup Final or semi.

Camt beleive QP make 800k a year from hampden. Are they responsible for overheads and maintenance? If not where is that momey going?

Whoever designed the 'refurbishment' of Hampden and the persons responsible for signing it off need a boot in the gonads.

That saying, I really don't think Queens Park have any option in this. SFA hold all the cards...and the purse strings.

When have they said that?

Genuine question.

The under current has been that Hampden is a dump and that Celtic Park and Murrayfield are more appropriate. I can't find a specific quote from Regan, but my feeling is that they wanted Hampden dumped. The ostensible reason was finance but the nod and wink was that it was a coup. Let's look to Celtic.

Here is a sample of what mean by the "under current":

"The SFA chief executive says it would cost "many, many millions of pounds" to stay at Hampden, requiring external funding from public and private bodies."

"The go option will involve exploring Celtic Park and Ibrox, both fantastic stadia......."

"SPFL chairman Ralph Topping last night branded Hampden a creaking ‘anachronism’, no longer fit for purpose."

"Brendan Rodgers last night claimed Hampden wasn’t fit for purpose as Scotland’s national stadium - despite it being a happy hunting ground for his Celtic side."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However the SFA now want to buy the place.

Last edited:
If SFA %^*& off to Murrayfield, could Queen’s Park not sell the ground for property etc
Theyd make a fair few quid and could build a ground which would be suitable for their size

Back