SFA prepare to make decision on Scottish Cup today - Update at 4.40pm No Decision on it

rangeral

The governing body will make a decision on the Scottish Cup today.

The SFA are set to decide if the Scottish Cup will continue this season.

The Covid-19 pandemic forced the lower leagues into hibernation in recent months and it meant the Scottish Cup had to be postponed too.

And now Celtic,Rangers and Partick Thistle are awaiting on news one what happens next for the tournament, which is due to finish in May.

Two rounds have already been missed and the quarter final is due to take place in less than two weeks.

But the SFA need to find dates for the third and fourth round before they decide if it will continue for the rest of the campaign.

In a statement last week, they said: “Regrettably, the government has today confirmed that – in cognisance of the current restrictions in place across the country – they cannot currently commit to return dates for those affected leagues in the coming weeks.

“We will continue to speak with all parties in the meantime and will provide a further update by 1 March. This date should not be seen as a proposed restart date, however, it should help provide some clarity to affected clubs to aid their planning over the short term.”

John Kennedy's Celtic are due to face either Falkirk or Arbroath in the third round while Steven Gerrard's Rangers host Cove Rangers.

The government restrictions on football in the lower levels is disproportionate, especially based on the offer they made on testing.

By the time these teams get back up to an appropriate fitness level, we’ll be in mid to late April before it even starts.

They either scrap the tournament altogether, or look to compensate the lower leagues and just have the tournament between the current active clubs.

No reason to not try and fit it in, could easily be used to trial limited crowds which will have to happen if there is to be any crowds at the euros this year.

If they opt for an end of season tournament, is there anyway Celtic game is brought forward to the 14th March?

Surely couldn’t play split games as there’s a chance the split might not be decided until week 33

I'd happily see it cancelled. We're 10 weeks from the end of the season and we have a minimum of 10 games still to play, potentially rising to 15 depending on Europa success. If we make the Scottish cup final that's TWENTY games between now and the end of the season, and it's already March! Injuries are starting to mount, back ups are about to be banned, our pitch is a ploughed field and a good number of our lads will be playing in the Euros this summer.

While I'd love to see us win a double (or dare I say treble) this season, I'd rather have a bit more rest time.

It’s difficult to see how they can justify scrapping the Scottish cup or any of the lower leagues given the language they used when telling us that it was impossible to do either last season.

We were told that contractual obligations with sponsors and broadcasters, as well as various other issues, meant that these competitions simply could not be scrapped.

Based on available dates around the existing Premiership schedule/Europa League - have to find option for the end of season play-offs

1st option

2nd round TBC

3rd round w/e 3rd April
4th round w/e 10th April
Quarter-finals m/w 21st April
Semi-final w/e 8th May
Final 22nd May

2nd option

Game 34 w/e 3rd April
Game 35 w/e 10th April
Game 36 w/e 17th April
Game 37 m/w 21st April
Game 38 w/e 24th April

Scottish Cup

2nd round TBC

3rd round w/e 1st May
4th round w/e 8th May
Quarter-finals w/e 15th May
Semi-final m/w 18th/19th May
Final 22nd May

If they opt for an end of season tournament, is there anyway Celtic game is brought forward to the 14th March?

Surely couldn’t play split games as there’s a chance the split might not be decided until week 33
I'd rather they never tbh. As it stands we have a full week of recovery between the Prague games and that could be the difference in a close tie at this stage of the season, with Prague playing away in the league on the 14th

Move split up and give the lower divisions a month to organize their postponements and 2nd round ties. Then have a quick tournament over a couple weeks in may with mid week matches. Cup final mid may. The lower leagues can stretch out their season or the more likely scenario cut it in length again.

No as they would move the game before now, hence why round 33 was brought forward

No as they would move the game before now, hence why round 33 was brought forward

Thank god, as it stands we’ll have a weeks rest between both Prague games which would be my biggest concern

The government restrictions on football in the lower levels is disproportionate, especially based on the offer they made on testing.

By the time these teams get back up to an appropriate fitness level, we’ll be in mid to late April before it even starts.

They either scrap the tournament altogether, or look to compensate the lower leagues and just have the tournament between the current active clubs.
If they do that it ceases to become the Scottish cup. It’s then an invitation cup. Personally I’d scrap it but money will decide what happens not common sense.

If they are making a decision today I can only see it being scrapped. Not sure how they can announce it going ahead when half the clubs involved aren't legally allowed to train currently.

Play it.
As others have said, bring forward the league dates & play it as a mini tournament at the end of the season.

Hopefully league 1 & 2 teams agree to complete an 18 game season in the month of April. (Between 7 to 10 games remaining for each team)

The Premiership post split fixtures get brought forward to finish on the weekend 1st May.

The championship finishes as planned on the 30th April.

Then we use:
Wed 5th May - Remaining round 2 ties
Sat 8th May - Round 3
Wed 12th May - Round 4
Sat 15th May - Quarter Final
Wed 22nd May - Semi Final
Sat 22nd May - Final

Not sure when the play-offs would be scheduled for but could possibly make them 1 leg ties.

Could they not make it just championship and premiership teams and then split all the prize money between all clubs from championship down. That way it could get started straight away. It’s not as if these clubs would losing out on a big pay day with no fans in

You know what that’s what I expect to give them an advantage of us travelling back not give us a week to prepare for slavia

I think they'll try to play it but if the scum get knocked out then it'll be scrapped. Let's face it, Scottish football dances to timmy's tune.

I think they will play it upto the quarter finals this season and play the semi finals/final next season (around December again) when the SFA can get 50’000 back in Hampden and all the money from 3 games there.

Back