SFA prepare to make decision on Scottish Cup today - Update at 4.40pm No Decision on it

I'd happily see it cancelled. We're 10 weeks from the end of the season and we have a minimum of 10 games still to play, potentially rising to 15 depending on Europa success. If we make the Scottish cup final that's TWENTY games between now and the end of the season, and it's already March! Injuries are starting to mount, back ups are about to be banned, our pitch is a ploughed field and a good number of our lads will be playing in the Euros this summer.

While I'd love to see us win a double (or dare I say treble) this season, I'd rather have a bit more rest time.

Aye but those games include league games which we can play whoever we want in.

Get it played and get this team more than just the league title for a sensational season.

The governing body will make a decision on the Scottish Cup today.

The SFA are set to decide if the Scottish Cup will continue this season.

The Covid-19 pandemic forced the lower leagues into hibernation in recent months and it meant the Scottish Cup had to be postponed too.

And now Celtic,Rangers and Partick Thistle are awaiting on news one what happens next for the tournament, which is due to finish in May.

Two rounds have already been missed and the quarter final is due to take place in less than two weeks.

But the SFA need to find dates for the third and fourth round before they decide if it will continue for the rest of the campaign.

In a statement last week, they said: “Regrettably, the government has today confirmed that – in cognisance of the current restrictions in place across the country – they cannot currently commit to return dates for those affected leagues in the coming weeks.

“We will continue to speak with all parties in the meantime and will provide a further update by 1 March. This date should not be seen as a proposed restart date, however, it should help provide some clarity to affected clubs to aid their planning over the short term.”

John Kennedy's Celtic are due to face either Falkirk or Arbroath in the third round while Steven Gerrard's Rangers host Cove Rangers.
Expecting to hear an announcement today or they just making the decision and will be tomorrow before we hear? I was expecting to hear today about the cup and tomorrow about the Covid 5

The second round should take place the weekend of the 20/21st . The lower leagues can play through the international break and then 3rd/4th round 3rd and 10th April . I really hope they don’t move the split games. A lot of people are making plans for the 16th may

Expecting to hear an announcement today or they just making the decision and will be tomorrow before we hear? I was expecting to hear today about the cup and tomorrow about the Covid 5
Whether they actually make announce today is unknown I guess something may surface

League’s finished. Scrap the fixtures after the split and replace them with the cup. Bingo, we win the double.
I guess you are joking?

But the league may be over in regards us being champions, but there are plenty of other things to be decided. Not to mention there are teams from all leagues still involved.

I'd happily see it cancelled. We're 10 weeks from the end of the season and we have a minimum of 10 games still to play, potentially rising to 15 depending on Europa success. If we make the Scottish cup final that's TWENTY games between now and the end of the season, and it's already March! Injuries are starting to mount, back ups are about to be banned, our pitch is a ploughed field and a good number of our lads will be playing in the Euros this summer.

While I'd love to see us win a double (or dare I say treble) this season, I'd rather have a bit more rest time.

Rest time for what? We could effectively have the league won this week,

It'll be a proud day when our grandchildren get to watch a geriatric Tav lift the 2020/21 Scottish Cup in the post-nuclear war ruins of Hampden in December 2077.

The second round should take place the weekend of the 20/21st . The lower leagues can play through the international break and then 3rd/4th round 3rd and 10th April . I really hope they don’t move the split games. A lot of people are making plans for the 16th may
20/21st of what month?

There's a 4 week gap between the game at the piggery and the first post split game, Im sure that could be utilised, but the lower league clubs will expect some training time before playing again.

There's a 5/6 week gap between the game at the piggery and the first post split game, Im sure that could be utilised, but the lower league clubs will expect some training time before playing again.
Surely they bring other games forward to allow time to play the cup later in the season.

There is a solution available but no doubt they will do the wrong thing as usual

Scrap it. Let Rangers focus on the Europa League and improve Scottish football's reputation/co-efficient. I mean surely all of scottish football would be behind that sentiment?

If they don't find a way of getting it played it will highlight their desperation to play last season's this season.

My opinion is this:

post split fixtures will be pushed forward.

lower leagues will be green lighted to start training and they will cut down the number of games they need to play

scottish cup will be a mini tourney after the league is complete

Scrap it. Let Rangers focus on the Europa League and improve Scottish football's reputation/co-efficient. I mean surely all of scottish football would be behind that sentiment?

Scrapping it only punishes Rangers really.

If we want to focus on the EL we can play a reserve team in league games and the cup as well if it got down to the nitty gritty of the EL.

Even the SFA couldn't attempt justifying decision to abandon the competition after hiw important it was to them to complete last season's Scottish Cup.

Just a case of whether it gets finished this season or next.

I personally think it should be scrapped forcing games in for the sake of it. Start fresh next season

It’s difficult to see how they can justify scrapping the Scottish cup or any of the lower leagues given the language they used when telling us that it was impossible to do either last season.

We were told that contractual obligations with sponsors and broadcasters, as well as various other issues, meant that these competitions simply could not be scrapped.
Aye but, aye but, aye but. That's the kind of language from Tims who know fine well SFA are set up to see them okay.

Corrupt to the core.

Has to be scrapped given lower leagues not even playing at the moment. SFA would have scrapped last year if it wasn’t about all about the mhaggots

They can’t afford to scrap it surely. Moving the split forward and playing it in May would be a sensible idea

I disagree entirely.

All going well, the league will be wrapped up in the next 2-3 weeks, so we can rest players in the league if we're still in Europe. If we went out of Europe next round, are we happy with 5 meaningless league games left over the next couple of months?

Our first cup game is v Cove - we can rest players then. After that there is a maximum of 4 games so it's not a big amount to add on to the fixture list, and it's a chance to win another trophy.

Unless the lower leagues are allowed to return and resume there season quite soon it will likely be scrapped.
Unless they just kick out the teams who are unable to play and complete the tournament with the teams from the two top divisions.

It's got to be played, I don't how they do it, but that's the SFA's problem. Only certainty is that they will make an erse of it.

Only way the cup gets played this season is if they compensate every club below the Championship who are still involved.

No way that those teams are playing any games when the leagues are still shut down.

Only way the cup gets played this season is if they compensate every club below the Championship who are still involved.

No way that those teams are playing any games when the leagues are still shut down.
That’s there problem if they want to play the cup they need to open the leagues back up.

Only up side if they DID scrap it would be a guaranteed trophy-less season for the Forces of Darkness.

Even the SFA couldn't attempt justifying decision to abandon the competition after hiw important it was to them to complete last season's Scottish Cup.

Just a case of whether it gets finished this season or next.
It was only the Semi Finals that had to be played last Season which should have played as soon as the Season ended, can the smaller Clubs keep Bubbles etc I wouldn’t think so.

It was only the Semi Finals that had to be played last Season which should have played as soon as the Season ended, can the smaller Clubs keep Bubbles etc I wouldn’t think so.

There is no reason why lower league football should be suspended. Infection rates are lower now than when the league started in October. It's nothing more than Scottish football authorities wanting to be seen to do something whilst avoiding punishing Celtic for the Dubai fiasco. Clubs have already offered to implement weekly testing. The authorities arent interested.

Based on available dates around the existing Premiership schedule/Europa League - have to find option for the end of season play-offs

1st option

2nd round TBC

3rd round w/e 3rd April
4th round w/e 10th April
Quarter-finals m/w 21st April
Semi-final w/e 8th May
Final 22nd May

2nd option

Game 34 w/e 3rd April
Game 35 w/e 10th April
Game 36 w/e 17th April
Game 37 m/w 21st April
Game 38 w/e 24th April

Scottish Cup

2nd round TBC

3rd round w/e 1st May
4th round w/e 8th May
Quarter-finals w/e 15th May
Semi-final m/w 18th/19th May
Final 22nd May

Good scheme that 2nd option. The league being so one sided helps sell that.

The government restrictions on football in the lower levels is disproportionate, especially based on the offer they made on testing.

By the time these teams get back up to an appropriate fitness level, we’ll be in mid to late April before it even starts.

They either scrap the tournament altogether, or look to compensate the lower leagues and just have the tournament between the current active clubs.
This has to be the best option, all things considered.
I know the lower division clubs won’t be happy but there is a bigger picture here that needs to be observed.
Proper financial recompense should be made to these clubs .

They need to get the outstanding fixtures from the earlier round sorted asap, so those should be squeezed in to the calendar whenever football resumes.

Would also be in favour of League 1 and 2 stopping after 18 games but with no relegation from those leagues. Send 2 up from L2 to L1 and have a 14 team League 2 next season with Rangers / Celtic Colts and the 4 Highland / Lowland teams making up the numbers.

Then play out the Scottish Cup at season end and the playoffs can take place once the teams involved are eliminated from the Scottish Cup.

Should get everything completed by the end of May.

Play it in July.

When do our players leave for the Euros? We could be without them if the Final is May 22nd.

Play it in July.

When do our players leave for the Euros? We could be without them if the Final is May 22nd.
The last day of the Premiership/Championship playoff is the 22nd May so I doubt the Scotland team will be meeting up before then.

First question will be,how can we arrange the fixtures to hamper Rangers European run?
Second question, when is the best time to suspend Patterson & co?
Full card of ties on the dates of Europa League last 16, QFs and SFs. Final same day as Europa final.

They need to get the outstanding fixtures from the earlier round sorted asap, so those should be squeezed in to the calendar whenever football resumes.

Would also be in favour of League 1 and 2 stopping after 18 games but with no relegation from those leagues. Send 2 up from L2 to L1 and have a 14 team League 2 next season with Rangers / Celtic Colts and the 4 Highland / Lowland teams making up the numbers.

Then play out the Scottish Cup at season end and the playoffs can take place once the teams involved are eliminated from the Scottish Cup.

Should get everything completed by the end of May.
Doubt you would get 2 Highland teams willing to join. The costs for the Highland league are eye watering already and national league would cost more and have little additional income. Maybe a couple of the Aberdeenshire teams, but think it would be a risky step. Elgin are no better off.

Back