SFA response to Rangers’ disillusionment on Youth Development Pathway projects

I'd rather we didn't tbh. Don't really care about the tit for tat or SR losing face. They've said they'll distribute it during the close season. Let's work forward from that then and try and get this implemented and voted on over the summer with a view to it being established in 2022/23 season onwards. If it's voted down then let's look into making ourselves a perm member of the Lowland Leage and work our way up from there.
I take your point, but Petrie has basically called him a liar (or mistaken if you want to give him the benefit of the doubt)

Assuming true the response is ok. Suggests that robertson talking rubbish as he is fully aware as to why proposal has not yet been shared. So Gers should challenge that big time. Should be easy enough to disprove if written comms exist.
Where did he say he wasn’t aware?

”You’d have to ask the SFA and SPFL”. It was their working group. He’s just one member and therefore not entitled to speak for the decisions of the group as a whole. He doesn’t say “I’ve no idea”, he directs people to ask the questions of the bodies who oversee the game.

Scottish FA address 'inaccuracies' from Rangers chief over Colts teams​

The Scottish FA have sought to “clarify inaccuracies” contained in an interview with Rangers chief Stewart Robertson surrounding the introduction of Colt teams.​

The Ibrox managing director, alongside sporting director Ross Wilson and head of academy Craig Mulholland, appeared in a video released by the club detailing why they feel a B team is necessary in Scottish football.

Rangers and Celtic have been in talks with the Lowland League with regards to fielding a second string in the fifth tier next season.

The Ibrox managing director, alongside sporting director Ross Wilson and head of academy Craig Mulholland, appeared in a video released by the club detailing why they feel a B team is necessary in Scottish football.

Rangers and Celtic have been in talks with the Lowland League with regards to fielding a second string in the fifth tier next season.

Petrei said: "It was unanimously agreed by the group, including Stewart, that the distribution of any paper should take place once the 2020/21 season has ended, to give clubs an opportunity to fully consider the potential benefits without the pressures of implications of a season impacted by COVID-19. We are therefore surprised that Stewart is quoted on Rangers TV saying “the biggest frustration is that [the] paper has still never gone to the clubs. You’d need to ask Scottish FA and SPFL why”.

"This agreement also came with the additional recommendation that any discussion on improving elite talent development would require the support of all SPFL members, not least those clubs in the lower leagues who would require to accommodate any B teams.

"The perception that this paper would be to the benefit of two clubs in particular would likely present a challenge to those leading on the innovation paper and in any final vote.”
The statement in full:

“The Scottish FA seeks to clarify inaccuracies contained in an interview undertaken by the Rangers Managing Director, Stewart Robertson, on the subject of the proposed introduction of B teams.

“The Professional Game Board agreed to a request from Stewart, as a member, to convene a working group to provide an innovation paper identifying ways in which Scottish football can improve its talent pipeline at elite end.

“Part of their proposal was the concept of B teams and their potential integration within the lower leagues of the Scottish Professional Football League. While the Scottish FA is supportive of any innovation that enhances the prospect of elite talent development, ultimately a decision on the introduction of B teams would need to be taken under the auspices of the SPFL rules relating to league competitions.

“At a virtual meeting on April 9, hosted by Stewart, and including a representative from Celtic FC, the SPFL and Scottish FA, there was general consensus on the call that given the adverse publicity and temperature among clubs, the proposal was unlikely to garner the support of enough clubs to enable the SPFL rule change to progress further.

“It was therefore agreed by both Stewart, on behalf of Rangers, and Celtic’s representative that pausing any detail being distributed to clubs would give the proposals the best chance of success. To repeat, the introduction of B teams as part of the innovation paper would require an SPFL vote, and after a season in which clubs have had to contend with the ongoing impact of COVID-19, a rushed decision would likely end in failure.

“It was unanimously agreed by the group, including Stewart, that the distribution of any paper should take place once the 2020/21 season has ended, to give clubs an opportunity to fully consider the potential benefits without the pressures of implications of a season impacted by COVID-19.

We are therefore surprised that Stewart is quoted on Rangers TV saying “the biggest frustration is that [the] paper has still never gone to the clubs. You’d need to ask Scottish FA and SPFL why”.

“This agreement also came with the additional recommendation that any discussion on improving elite talent development would require the support of all SPFL members, not least those clubs in the lower leagues who would require to accommodate any B teams.

“The perception that this paper would be to the benefit of two clubs in particular would likely present a challenge to those leading on the innovation paper and in any final vote.

“This agreement also came with the additional recommendation that any discussion on improving elite talent development would require the support of all SPFL members, not least those clubs in the lower leagues who would require to accommodate any B teams.

“The perception that this paper would be to the benefit of two clubs in particular would likely present a challenge to those leading on the innovation paper and in any final vote.

Given the quotes the whole article is merely a political statement by Mr Petrie that says absolutely NOTHING and seeks to kick the can further down the road! The Scotsman sports editor should be concentrating on the structure or lack of elite youth pathway rather than regurgitating statements from intellectual pygmies and troughers such as Mr Petrie.

We're up against masters of running the committee system. There won't be a vote taken by these people unless they know the result in advance. That's a really difficult thing to fight, but Robertson should not be going along with unanimous votes if they're going to be used against him and the club.
This is a good point why not have it on the record , if they even keep one , that there are individuals who see it differently to the committee .

You can almost still feel Liewell's presence at the back of this.

Petrie? Sod all to say about Dubai, but let's get stuck into Rangers over youth football as a matter of urgency.
I’m like you I do wonder about that grouping and the presence of the un-named irafc representative . They are supposedly hot on getting a B team yet may have been playing two faces or more as SR and Rangers put in a heap of our precious man hours . Smells a bit off ?

one part I’m unclear on is it seems spfl seem to be saying they need all 42 member clubs to vote for this type of change . Isn’t that a;most impossible to achieve . And also how come they can award unwarranted titles , punitive relegations and all sorts of other decisions are made without total suppprt ? Even the board members can be removed with 75% members votes I think I’m right in saying .

Last edited:
Robertson said Rangers have spoken to clubs in the lower division's, Petrie never denied he did,. Is Petrie's complaint that we jumped the gun on the process?

Robertson said Rangers have spoken to clubs in the lower division's, Petrie never denied he did,. Is Petrie's complaint that we jumped the gun on the process?
jweebear , Was the reason for that that Rangers were refining and supplementing the project paper ?

The question I would have posed to Petrie is, “what are you proposing that will give the perception that this is for the good of Scottish football development and not just two clubs.”
As it appears that he is more interested in points of order than actually developing this proposal, it would be informative to find out what the top man at the SFA actually is proposing to do.
My suspicion is he only wants to be in a position to hand a cup to some Hibernian nonentity without paying damages for some advertising hoardings.

Stuart Robertson has been pushing for progress as this issue has stalled .
Here is sfa response via Rod Petrie

Rod Petrie issues a statement ? File this under Rod McKenzie compiles a statement for Rod Petrie to issue. So maybe the reporting of the statement got the wrong Rod, it could have happened in this backwater.

I suspect there is some gamesmanship going on from both sides.

I wouldn't be surprised that the papers recommendations were agreed to be shared post season, but the colts idea was a proposition that rangers wanted brought to all the teams prior, given the urgency.

It simply makes no sense that we would be happy to wait for the colts discussions until post season, primarily because it gives no time to restructure the leagues.
I'm suspicious that the statement was compiled by someone else, a lawyer perhaps, and that the wording has been deliberate.
Remember the statement from the SPFL last year which stated they had to end the league season to give "end of season" payments to clubs. It didn't stipulate that just "payments" could be made, just "end of season" payments. Rod McKenzie was quoted as saying "payments" had been made in the past.

Back