SG on the fans

BlueMeanie

Gers fans made the trip to the British Overseas Territory despite the game being played behind closed doors and found various vantage points to catch some of the action.

They were also chanting outside the Rangers squad hotel on the eve and day of the game and Gerrard said: “It was actually lovely to hear the Rangers fans in full voice outside the hotel. We’ve missed that.

“We hope we can get back to normality as soon as possible because it is different at the moment. It’s unique. The players have done a terrific job to stay focused but we are missing the Rangers support, that’s for sure.”

I can't explain it fully but there is something a wee bit different about the team this year compared to last. Aye, we started last season well but the players have a certain swagger about them that they didn't have 12 months ago. Also, The Gaffer seems to have found an edge that I've not seen before. You saw it in his post match interview today when he was a bit mixed about the performance and saying we "didn't get out of first gear".

Plus, The Bears are ganting to go and watch some actual football and it's a bit of a bummer that Easter Road will be empty on Sunday.

This is going to be a special season for us.

I can't explain it fully but there is something a wee bit different about the team this year compared to last. Aye, we started last season well but the players have a certain swagger about them that they didn't have 12 months ago. Also, The Gaffer seems to have found an edge that I've not seen before. You saw it in his post match interview today when he was a bit mixed about the performance and saying we "didn't get out of first gear".

Plus, The Bears are ganting to go and watch some actual football and it's a bit of a bummer that Easter Road will be empty on Sunday.

This is going to be a special season for us.
Agree we have a swagger and something different about us this year

Not really. Ibrox is toxic if we're not winning after 15-20 minutes. Teams know they can park the bus and sooner or later the fans will turn on the team. It must be nice for the players not thinking about that at the moment.
I think it has helped our defence

I think it has helped our defence
I think it's more to do with them having a longer preseason and proper time in training to work on our shape, tactics and individual roles within each setup!! Think the manager mentioned something along those lines only recently?

Reactions: Ter
Not really. Ibrox is toxic if we're not winning after 15-20 minutes. Teams know they can park the bus and sooner or later the fans will turn on the team. It must be nice for the players not thinking about that at the moment.

Do you feel that there should be no fans at Ibrox when we are allowed back in?

It’s not if it wins us 55 this season....I’d sacrifice not seeing them this season and next season to win 55 in May!!!

The inference is always that the team does better with no fans. Has it to be a permanent thing in your view, or solely to be once we win the title then (if allowed by COVID guidelines) we come back as all will be well?

We started with the idea that no away fans is great according to some, now it's no home fans? Even by FF standards this has to be right up there with the most bizarre.

I think it's a trendy thing for non match going fans to dislike the supporters who attend Ibrox. It's a load of shite, imo.
I honestly don’t buy into it about the fans either, there’s been moans and groans at Ibrox since I can remember and we’ve won trophies. It’s as you said a lot of shite

@petric made the mistake of voicing his own opinion on a forum and has now been called a moron and had his fan credentials questioned.

Looking at our form, it's hard to argue that the lack of fans getting on the teams back has not at least been a small contributing factor to our early success and record setting defence.

I honestly don’t buy into it about the fans either, there’s been moans and groans at Ibrox since I can remember and we’ve won trophies. It’s as you said a lot of shite

Same. I've been going regular since 1992 and there's always been moans, groans and abuse hurled at players from fat baldy guys who don't play football and henpecked husbands.

The amount of stick the match going supporters get on here is ridiculous at times.

Note: I'm not suggesting OTT abuse is acceptable.

Crazy statement to make.

I don’t see it as crazy at all. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility given the atmosphere at Ibrox particularly when things don’t go well, that our players may perform better without the fans there.

We know they can go into panic stations when the heat is on. We all want to be at games to support the team, enjoy the matches and share in the wins.

But look at the season so far, almost perfect. And we need that to continue.

Things are FAR, FAR worse now than they have ever been because of everything that has happened. We are all getting really impatient now and just desperate for success. Understandably right enough.

Things are FAR, FAR worse now than they have ever been because of everything that has happened. We are all getting really impatient now and just desperate for success. Understandably right enough.
It’s the same as it’s always been seen at tail end of 9IAR , DA, Eck even Smiths second spell. It’s something that’ll never change of course there’s some that take it to far as always

Bit of an overreaction to someone basically saying he thinks the players are performing better without supporters.

I don’t see it as crazy at all. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility given the atmosphere at Ibrox particularly when things don’t go well, that our players may perform better without the fans there.

We know they can go into panic stations when the heat is on. We all want to be at games to support the team, enjoy the matches and share in the wins.

But look at the season so far, almost perfect. And we need that to continue.

Football needs supporters at the matches, that's the bottom line.

Undeniable fantastic start to the season that's for sure. I'd say that's not down to the FF perception that the match going supportrs are a hinderence.

Look at it the other way around. If it is not the fact that there are no fans inside the stadium that's making the team better, but instead, it's the fact that they're better prepared, better trained, there's better competition for places and the players have developed a better attitude, imagine what a full and vociferous Ibrox would drive them on to achieve.

If the team continue on the way they've started, they've absolutely nothing to fear when fans are allowed back in.

Obviously, we are dying to get back, but I can understand what some posters mean regarding the players playing with a freedom.
I noticed in the Motherwell friendly during a passage of play around their box and we passed it all the way back to Goldson. That passage of play dragged their players out of position and the patience led to a great chance. I was genuinely curious if they would have done that with fans there as I know for a fact there would have been a large portion of fans moaning about not getting it in the box!
Flip side is, would we have come back to beat Braga without fans in the stadium?
I doubt it.

This thing is entirely overplayed.

The players managed fine in the first half of the season last year and then went off the edge of a cliff.

Ibrox was literally no different between those two points.

If it was such an issue we wouldn't have won all the trophies we have done.

I'm not advocating people bawling at players from minute one. I don't do it myself and it'd be great if it was all encouragement with no grumbling. However, just how much it affects our ability to get three points at home to Killie or Hamilton is becoming a get out compared to the real issue of a slight lack of quality on the pitch in recent seasons.

Maybe those who think we don't need fans will exclude themselves from ballots when the club are able to allow some fans in.

Bet they won't though.
They can't ever go to another game as they are then deliberately hurting their own team

Nice words.

But I bet the players are getting on just fine, without the pressure of the fans; I hope the no fans continues for the rest of the season.

And I paid £719 for my renewal.
I was there yesterday and i find your statement ridiculous,was worth the cost just for the 2 minutes seeing the team going on the bus to the game and their faces were the same as ours. They appreiciated us being there.

Nice words.

But I bet the players are getting on just fine, without the pressure of the fans; I hope the no fans continues for the rest of the season.

And I paid £719 for my renewal.
On the flip side the away support is massively missed and we definitely needed that at Livi away.

If our players are incapable of playing infront if there own fans they might as well chuck it.

I was there yesterday and i find your statement ridiculous,was worth the cost just for the 2 minutes seeing the team going on the bus to the game and their faces were the same as ours. They appreiciated us being there.
Hopefully you had a good trip, the guys I know that went certainly enjoyed it. Bit jealous I wasn’t there now :))

Brilliant trip and apart from the pissing rain midway through the game well worth going over and no quarantine either.
Looking forward to Holland next week.
Enjoy mate, I’m holding off until we can get into the games personally but totally understand those travelling regardless!

Back