shankland might not be good enough for big games

David Rodgers emailed: "It's about time Rangers saw the deal with Alfredo Morelos: He should be sold as soon as possible as he only brings the club down. We should sign Lawrence Shankland from Ayr. He's a Rangers fanatic, and scores goals for fun. We need to sign his now."

That's from the DR Hotline.

David, If you are reading this, you are a total fuckwit

Our passes and crosses from midfield and out wide are woeful, that is our biggest issue.
No point going wide when teams sit back.
You need a quality midfield running at them through the middle to create space.

Shankland wouldn’t cost much and it would be stupid not to consider signing him, esp if scum are interested, he cannot be worse than Lafferty.

Hes hardly going to be scoring a hatrick against us at Ibrox with ayr utd.
I remember all the panty wetting about Clark when he scored nearly 40 goals for QOTS,Rangers still had better players than most of the teams in the championship,read how Clark would score an absolute barrowload and run riot, he was shite.

Shankland is going through a purple patch and we need much better quality than Shankland,the championship is his level.

David Rodgers emailed: "It's about time Rangers saw the deal with Alfredo Morelos: He should be sold as soon as possible as he only brings the club down. We should sign Lawrence Shankland from Ayr. He's a Rangers fanatic, and scores goals for fun. We need to sign his now."

That can't be real.... Surely....?

I think David is most likely to be found on Kerrydale Street tbh

I remember all the panty wetting about Clark when he scored nearly 40 goals for QOTS,Rangers still had better players than most of the teams in the championship,read how Clark would score an absolute barrowload and run riot, he was shite.

Shankland is going through a purple patch and we need much better quality than Shankland,the championship is his level.
It may well be that you have seen Shankland play far more often than most of the other posters on here and as you have an eye for quality strikers, it would be of genuine interest if you could suggest some who might be available and are affordable. There is one aspect of the Nicky Clark comparison, which is perhaps overlooked. Our current coaching staff are superior to those when Clark was with us and if someone like Shankland was to come, he would benefit from this coaching to enable him to improve. Lawrence Shankland would be a low risk signing and I would be surprised to Rangers had not shown an interest.

It doesn't matter who plays up front for us at the moment , if they don't get the supply from midfield they won't score many . Get the lad signed anyway , the more strikers the better . We are a in short supply when it comes to forwards .

Shankland is outstanding at level he's at at the moment.

Whether or not he'd make the step up is anyone's guess.

Clark scored the majority of his goals on league 1

Reading it?
Going by this board this evening alone he has 62 log ins and has used them all to post absolute shite on a similar level!

In Morelos we have a striker who should get us 25-30 goals this season. We play one up front, so we're not looking for another 25+ goals from a back up striker. What we are looking for is someone who can score us 10-15 goals coming off the bench or standing in for Alfie if he's injured or suspended. For 250k-ish I think we could do a lot worse than shankland

I think for the money involved we'd be daft not to, if it doesn't work out we haven't forked out a fortune for him

I still think we should sign this lad, even if he is a failure, he can head back to the level he is at now, but I believe he will be good for us.

Our passes and crosses from midfield and out wide are woeful, that is our biggest issue.
No point going wide when teams sit back.
You need a quality midfield running at them through the middle to create space.

Shankland wouldn’t cost much and it would be stupid not to consider signing him, esp if scum are interested, he cannot be worse than Lafferty.

Agree with this.

Get him in, he knows where the net is and that's what matters.

I thought he was shite against us at Ibrox against Ayr.
He was total gash but you don't judge a player on one game,If he had played really well I wouldn't have decided to go for him because of that one decent game either,Consistent goal scoring over a period of time and a number of games must make him worth looking at.

It may well be that you have seen Shankland play far more often than most of the other posters on here and as you have an eye for quality strikers, it would be of genuine interest if you could suggest some who might be available and are affordable. There is one aspect of the Nicky Clark comparison, which is perhaps overlooked. Our current coaching staff are superior to those when Clark was with us and if someone like Shankland was to come, he would benefit from this coaching to enable him to improve. Lawrence Shankland would be a low risk signing and I would be surprised to Rangers had not shown an interest.
Iv'e watched him quite a few times in live games. Ayr are the best team in the championship so far and the form team,most of the teams they play against their defences are rank rotten.

When you put a player like Shankland up against teams of a much better quality with much better defences then he will struggle,when he played against Rangers at Ibrox he was woeful and had one shot at goal in 90mins,that's because he was up against much better players than he's used to playing against everyweek,most teams in the championship don't play with everyman behind the ball like you see with some in the Premiership, that way games are much more open and you have plenty of space,you don't get the same in the Premiership.

I would much rather give players like Hardy or Dallas a chance,both players scoring goals and saving the club money,I'm not saying Hardy is the answer,but he's scoring goals in the top division for a very decent Livingston team against better opposition than Shankland is.

Quality is the key word here and that's what's required to win leagues and cups,you also ask me who would be available and affordable,I simply can't answer that as i have no idea of what budgets we have.

We live in a totally different era now from picking up wonderful players like Davie Cooper for £100k, a player even the quality of Cooper in todays market would cost millions. There are no doubt loads of up and coming players throughout the world,unfortunately most of them wouldn't want to play in Scotland and follow the golden path to the English clubs who pay top dollar.

Biggest problem is that Rangers are trying to find these gems along with hundreds of other clubs,but sadly the pull of the English leagues and top European teams leave us trailing and why we won't be signing any top players anytime soon given the current market where even average players go for tens of millions.

Rangers have to continue to improve our youth side and develop our own players,rather than spend money or wages on nothing more than average players,the game has changed massively from bygone days of players actually giving 100% for the team badge and a couple of hundred quid a week,to one which sees players with no dedication to the club they play for and money being more important than loyalty to that clubs badge. Money has destroyed the game and made it much more difficult for teams like our own and others to compete with the bigger clubs.

In Morelos we have a striker who should get us 25-30 goals this season. We play one up front, so we're not looking for another 25+ goals from a back up striker. What we are looking for is someone who can score us 10-15 goals coming off the bench or standing in for Alfie if he's injured or suspended. For 250k-ish I think we could do a lot worse than shankland
This makes sense.

Never seen him play but I know he's banging in the goals, my concern is, is he good enough?( serious question), I remember Nicky Clark scoring for fun and he wasn't good enough

If we can take a punt on two Mexican duds for 4 million and 50k a week wages between them, then we can take a punt on a good goalscorer, albeit from a much poorer league. If it don't work out we move him on

Last edited:
Is he this years louis moult?

Personally I’d take a punt as back up and who knows he may step up but as we know there’s a bit of a difference from championship level and the next step up.

I’d have also signed moult btw.

My 2 cents on this. The last player to tear up the championship was Lewis Morgan. He has looked absolute shite at that lot, it was quite humorous watching him/them attempt football today. Made us look like gallacticos

The problem is we won't know whether he could take the step up to the pressure of playing for us or not. We desperately need a striker...we don't have much to spend so it may be a risk worth taking. Comparing how other players didn't manage the step up doesn't really help as each had a different level of competence and psychological make up.

Iv'e watched him quite a few times in live games. Ayr are the best team in the championship so far and the form team,most of the teams they play against their defences are rank rotten.

When you put a player like Shankland up against teams of a much better quality with much better defences then he will struggle,when he played against Rangers at Ibrox he was woeful and had one shot at goal in 90mins,that's because he was up against much better players than he's used to playing against everyweek,most teams in the championship don't play with everyman behind the ball like you see with some in the Premiership, that way games are much more open and you have plenty of space,you don't get the same in the Premiership.

I would much rather give players like Hardy or Dallas a chance,both players scoring goals and saving the club money,I'm not saying Hardy is the answer,but he's scoring goals in the top division for a very decent Livingston team against better opposition than Shankland is.

Quality is the key word here and that's what's required to win leagues and cups,you also ask me who would be available and affordable,I simply can't answer that as i have no idea of what budgets we have.

We live in a totally different era now from picking up wonderful players like Davie Cooper for £100k, a player even the quality of Cooper in todays market would cost millions. There are no doubt loads of up and coming players throughout the world,unfortunately most of them wouldn't want to play in Scotland and follow the golden path to the English clubs who pay top dollar.

Biggest problem is that Rangers are trying to find these gems along with hundreds of other clubs,but sadly the pull of the English leagues and top European teams leave us trailing and why we won't be signing any top players anytime soon given the current market where even average players go for tens of millions.

Rangers have to continue to improve our youth side and develop our own players,rather than spend money or wages on nothing more than average players,the game has changed massively from bygone days of players actually giving 100% for the team badge and a couple of hundred quid a week,to one which sees players with no dedication to the club they play for and money being more important than loyalty to that clubs badge. Money has destroyed the game and made it much more difficult for teams like our own and others to compete with the bigger clubs.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Agree with much of what you have said. Just think that Shankland is a goal scorer, he is still young enough to be developed further by decent coaching and the risk in signing him would be modest.

Back