Shankland rumour

Over the last couple of years on here, there have been countless threads on Shankland, the message is the same now as it was back then, he’s nowhere near good enough for Rangers.

I thi k there is a possibility in it not as main or even second striker

Wither he is good enough or not is a different matter.

I get a very kris boyd feeling about him that the smaller teams he would score against and rarely used against bigger teams

what if he scores 8 goals ? His value goes up and up. If we don’t think he’s good enough now then we shouldnt be interested.

We need players that score 8 goals in 8 games - he might not be good enough week in week out but against the Hamiltons and St Mirrens of the world that goal ratio would be a huge boost.

Regardless of the negativity on here I believe Shankland would score goals for Rangers and as long as he is part of a 3-4 player striking pool then I would bne happy with that. Even for 2 million.

This is literally a made up article. We are not signing Lawrence Shankland and neither we should. People were not keen on signing Kamberi on a permanent basis yet he’s a far better player than Shankland.

Jeezo - Some Rangers supporters react to a rumour’ is the actual story! What next, ‘somebody on the internet had an idea’
Don’t know if anything in this but the threads started based on rumours from click bait sites Make my teeth hurt. They’re like the internet’s old club call lines.

No . Like Nicky Clarke scores plenty in the lower leagues but not good enough for us
NC was signed as main striker, so loads of pressure on him. LS is third choice so may take some pressure of. Not saying we should sign him just playing devils advocate

Not a single shot on goal against 10 men St Johnstone at the weekend and a less than impressive performance in the bounce game against our 3rd choice defence would make this unlikely imo.

Nicky Clark looked sharper than him in both games.

Could not disagree more with this Pep.

You could say we didnt have many shots against aberdeen with them having 10 men and no doubt you would have been taking the positives from that game. Vital 3 points.

Defoe may have more quality but Shankland is young and on the way up his scoring stats are fantastic and on here the stats are everything. 2m quid is way too much i accept that but a cheeky bit of just over half that would upset the player he would want out asap. Hes worth that hes well worth it to us in our position he knows this league/style of football wont need ages to adapt or settle in. Rangers lad too 100 per cent effort every time.

Shankland scores the goals against the smaller sides its what we need the scrappy late winner, the double at st mirren or motherwell. His finishing at times can be excellent that is why he had to be called up to the international squad while playing championship. That would make such a huge difference as well as a change of system in these games with the 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2 an end to going round in circles wasting what is our own time passing around 60 yards from goals. The opposition want that they know how to deal with it.

Could not disagree more with this Pep.

You could say we didnt have many shots against aberdeen with them having 10 men and no doubt you would have been taking the positives from that game. Vital 3 points.

Defoe may have more quality but Shankland is young and on the way up his scoring stats are fantastic and on here the stats are everything. 2m quid is way too much i accept that but a cheeky bit of just over half that would upset the player he would want out asap. Hes worth that hes well worth it to us in our position he knows this league/style of football wont need ages to adapt or settle in. Rangers lad too 100 per cent effort every time.

Shankland scores the goals against the smaller sides its what we need the scrappy late winner, the double at st mirren or motherwell. His finishing at times can be excellent that is why he had to be called up to the international squad while playing championship. That would make such a huge difference as well as a change of system in these games with the 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 an end to going round in circles wasting what is our own time passing around 60 yards from goals. The opposition want that they know how to deal with it.

We'd actually 14 shots against Aberdeen maestro, but that's neither here nor there, we're comparing Defoe and Shankland.

Defoe scored 13 league goals from 11 starts last season, including match winning goals against so called lesser teams, plus strikes against Hibs and Aberdeen too.

He is a master at finding a yard against defenders and finishing clinically.

The chances are he will be our 3rd choice striker for spells this season and no chance Shankland would be ahead of him in our pecking order.

He's no youngster either btw.

He's 25 next week.

Over the last couple of years on here, there have been countless threads on Shankland, the message is the same now as it was back then, he’s nowhere near good enough for Rangers.

not sure thats totally true its probably more to do with the fact that its the same half a dozen posters screaming hes shite since his name was 1st mentioned and they cannot and will not accept being wrong. hes not foreign hes got a big foreheid and a scottish accent he also supports the club which for some reason can be the most annoying part for some.

plenty of bears probably rate shankland believe he would do well but cant be arsed with the subject as these threads are quiet crazy. i enjoy it though, entertaining.

I would rather have Dykes as the extra spare 3rd/4th striker if we were going down the route of spending money. At least he seems to have a method or knack of causing upset to the Celtic defence for Livingston.
Of course if Shankland arrives he will get my support like any player would who signs for us.

Sure he's a big Rangers man and would run his heart out, but that not how it works sadly. Nowhere near good enough. He'd barely make the reserve team. Let's hope his Rangers credentials come to the fore against the filth, but I won't hold my breath.

We'd actually 14 shots against Aberdeen maestro, but that's neither here nor there, we're comparing Defoe and Shankland.

Defoe scored 13 league goals from 11 starts last season, including match winning goals against so called lesser teams, plus strikes against Hibs and Aberdeen too.

He is a master at finding a yard against defenders and finishing clinically.

The chances are he will be our 3rd choice striker for spells this season and no chance Shankland would be ahead of him in our pecking order.

He's no youngster either btw.

He's 25 next week.

no you are desperate now to compare defoe and shankland because your comments in the post i quoted were pathetic.

i didnt say get rid of defoe, or that he was rubbish i dont dislike him at all, i just said hes older and might find himself out injured more often.

we can play with 2 strikers it is allowed, or even 3 its our tactics our team i would have all 3 of em on the park at the same time when we are chasing or desperate for a goal. we need a big squad 3 goalscorers for a club like Rangers isnt a lot i doubt our midfield players or wide attackers would mind more options ahead of them.

why not just admit it pep you wrote him off as being utter shite as hes a young scottish lad playing in the lower leagues so now it makes little difference what he does in his career. even if he signs for Rangers and does well you will still be telling us hes nae defoe/alfie or anywhere near the top strikers in eng/germany etc.

One positive I took from the McCoist era was there would be no more Bring Back XXX posts

These days it's players who might be supporters and relatives of ex players

no you are desperate now to compare defoe and shankland because your comments in the post i quoted were pathetic.

i didnt say get rid of defoe, or that he was rubbish i dont dislike him at all, i just said hes older and might find himself out injured more often.

we can play with 2 strikers it is allowed, or even 3 its our tactics our team i would have all 3 of em on the park at the same time when we are chasing or desperate for a goal. we need a big squad 3 goalscorers for a club like Rangers isnt a lot i doubt our midfield players or wide attackers would mind more options ahead of them.

why not just admit it pep you wrote him off as being utter shite as hes a young scottish lad playing in the lower leagues so now it makes little difference what he does in his career. even if he signs for Rangers and does well you will still be telling us hes nae defoe/alfie or anywhere near the top strikers in eng/germany etc.

Don't know where you get some of your theories from about what I've said mate.

I've certainly never said Shankland was shite.

I think he'll do a job for Dundee United, but that's a totally different ball game to Rangers.

I also agree we need 3 strikers this season.

The reason I mentioned Defoe is because I think there's a decent chance he could be our 3rd choice striker for spells and f he is, then Shankland certainly won't be our 2nd choice.

Like I said, he's 25 next week and I don't see him wanting to come as a 4th choice, or us paying money to bring him here, to not even make the bench most weeks.

No Pep genius mate, just basic common sense.

Gaining traction again.
Could there be something to this?

If so and he is added as part of our strike force… is it a yay or a nay?
Not sure how much truth is likely in this tbh..

That aside, its a big step up from the Championship to the Premier league where the boy is untested. Yes he gained a Scotland cap but it was against San Marino and the money that would be wanted for him would make it a big risk I'd reckon

Sure he's a big Rangers man and would run his heart out, but that not how it works sadly. Nowhere near good enough. He'd barely make the reserve team. Let's hope his Rangers credentials come to the fore against the filth, but I won't hold my breath.

His style of play is no where near what's required. He's not even on the same ball park as Defoe and look how we can struggle at times when he comes in due to our inability to change set ups.

Get Kamberi, Dykes and Shankland rumours away and let's get proper quality in.

A front two of dykes and shankland excites me, throw in ferguson supporting?...... Ooft, probably just won the treble.

NURSE...

You may be right but my point is he’s not proven at a decent level. Remember Clark scored over 30 goals for QOS in the season before we signed him but couldn’t step it up
Clark was a one season wonder with QOTS in Division 2 - one level below what is now the Championship - scoring 32 in 36 games.

His record in Division 1 with QOTS - what is now the Championship - was 0 goals in 30 games.

One good season at pub level and not a single goal in the Championship. Any comparison with Shankland ends there.

Not a single shot on goal against 10 men St Johnstone at the weekend and a less than impressive performance in the bounce game against our 3rd choice defence would make this unlikely imo.

Nicky Clark looked sharper than him in both games.
Yet he got man of the match

Not saying it’s definitely happening but there’s something in this.

Last edited:
not sure thats totally true its probably more to do with the fact that its the same half a dozen posters screaming hes shite since his name was 1st mentioned and they cannot and will not accept being wrong. hes not foreign hes got a big foreheid and a scottish accent he also supports the club which for some reason can be the most annoying part for some.

plenty of bears probably rate shankland believe he would do well but cant be arsed with the subject as these threads are quiet crazy. i enjoy it though, entertaining.

What would suggest to you that he is good enough for Rangers?

Given the fact he has flopped before in the top league, we currently have Morelos and Defoe at our club, on what planet does Lawrence Shankland improve on what we have? At the very most he is bottom of the top league standard.

Yet he got man of the match

Jamie Robson got MOTM mate.

Shankland had one blocked effort and another he put over the bar.

Btw, I'm not having a pop at Shankland, I hope he does well this season, but I don't think he's the right type of striker for our style of play.

GkMIdW5.gif

Shankland would need us to change our entire style of play for him. I don't think his ability warrants that.

I thought everyone had agreed before the season kicked off we would have to change the style anyway. Play in front of these teams passing in circles we will drop points. Diddy teams know how to set up and frustrate, refs will also let them blooter the wide players or actually any of the smaller players that go past someone gets hacked down.

Thought it was a no brainer to sign him when he was available on a free. Training with Defoe and Morelos would have been great for him.

After seening some of the names linked, we're looking for better/proven players. Would imagine DU would be looking for quite abit.

Clark was a one season wonder with QOTS in Division 2 - one level below what is now the Championship - scoring 32 in 36 games.

His record in Division 1 with QOTS - what is now the Championship - was 0 goals in 30 games.

One good season at pub level and not a single goal in the Championship. Any comparison with Shankland ends there.

Clark has scored plenty in the championship now tbf

I’ve not seen enough of the guy to make any judgement. His stats suggest he has an eye for a goal but I think you would want to see how he does in the SPFL.

that said if he does score a load of goals this year his price goes up and perhaps he draws other clubs eye. I suppose that’s the risk with potential. If we take the chance he can step up we might have a player on our hands

we have spent an awful lot more money before on guys with bigger reputations who proved to be duds. Would bringing a guy in who can score goals and pair him up in training with a guy like Defoe then make him a much better player?

I thought everyone had agreed before the season kicked off we would have to change the style anyway. Play in front of these teams passing in circles we will drop points. Diddy teams know how to set up and frustrate, refs will also let them blooter the wide players or actually any of the smaller players that go past someone gets hacked down.

Don't think we have to change the style at all, just some of the players within the system. No Jack/Kamara on the pitch at the same time ever again, for example.

HITC so probably nonsense
Biggest click-bait website that there is. I stopped using Rangers news because of them. 7 out of 10 stories was shit from them. They suck up stories from everywhere and put it out as their story. It is the old saying: even a broken clock is right twice a day.

All I’ve been hearing about from Dundee United fans recently is “Shankland off to Rangers with Greg Stewart going to United”

Can’t see it personally

Back