Shankland

I still think we should be looking at Shankland for league level games.

Seeing his goals this season, interrupted by injury, and his movement overall.

Defoe will leave a void when he goes. We do need backup players.

Nope we are above that level of player now and he wouldn't get any game time anyway

We will quite possibly need 2 strikers this summer, to replace Defoe and likely Alfie as well if he finally gets his move he wants.

But we need a far higher standard than Shankland. He isn’t a terrible player, just an average SPFL one and we need better.

Not for me. If we were ever going to take him we’d have done so when the chance was there for minimal outlay. That we didn’t, sums up where we want to be vs where he’s at. I wish him well as he’s a massive bluenose, but he will never play for us.

He reminds me of billy Dodds , we had all those stars when advocaat was here and then Billy Dodds !!
Ok he scored a few goals but he was never gona be the star striker

No disrespect to Shankland as I know he’s a bear but he’s no the superstar we’re looking for - hope he gets the winner today mind you

For the avoidance of doubt, not good enough Ross McCrorie, Greg Docherty, Daniel Candeias, Josh Windass, Lyndon Dykes, Lawrence Shankland
Did I miss anyone?

Nope. Nowhere near good enough

We will quite possibly need 2 strikers this summer, to replace Defoe and likely Alfie as well if he finally gets his move he wants.

But we need a far higher standard than Shankland. He isn’t a terrible player, just an average SPFL one and we need better.
We need average spfl players as much as guys like Roofe, Morelos, Itten.

You can't always have a £5m asset on the bench

If he came to us he would be 4th choice center forward and would almost never play, a bit like Greg Stewart.
Exactly mate, even as a punt in a free when he was at Ayr it would have been no good for the boy to sign and NOT play for us. He just wouldn't have, he's now a Scotland international, potentially going to a major tournament and will earn a decent move to England. Needs to do what's best for his career and his choices have been good so far.

IF he was good enough (he's not) then he's not worth the £2m+ they'd rightly demand

We need average spfl players as much as guys like Roofe, Morelos, Itten.

You can always have a £5m asset on the bench
We don't need to spend £3m on average SPFL players when you can get gems like Itten and Hagi for the same! Get real

Hi Lawrence

have you not got a game to prepare for??

Alfie will be here for the CL

Exactly mate, even as a punt in a free when he was at Ayr it would have been no good for the boy to sign and NOT play for us. He just wouldn't have, he's now a Scotland international, potentially going to a major tournament and will earn a decent move to England. Needs to do what's best for his career and his choices have been good so far.

IF he was good enough (he's not) then he's not worth the £2m+ they'd rightly demand

Yeah even though he is a massive rangers fan, for the sake of his own career it is better he plays for a club that can guarantee him lots of game time rather than spending all his time keeping the bench warm.

When you buy a player like that, you end up in a situation where he’s a distant 4th choice and because of the severe lack of game time, becomes poorer and can’t seize the opportunity when it presents itself.

Defoe is still very sharp and such an intelligent player. His contributions aren’t effected as much by being on the bench.

Just reading there, JD is teetotal and vegan - both to try and help prolong his footballing career. Top pro.

Never say never. Super Ally, St Johnstone, did nowt at Sunderland signed for us and now a legend. Not the level required till you try him. Vardy at Leicester etc.

People aren’t still genuinely banging this drum are they?

F*ck me

He is nowhere near what we need kicking on from here. Great that he’s a bear, and hope he scores today and does well in his career, but its a no from me.

nHQVwhD.gif

I think I’m a better team he’d improve but I’m not sure he’d get much game time with us. Besides the thought of giving DUFC a single penny fills my mouth with sick.

He turns 26 in August and so far has only scored 7 goals in the top tier of Scottish football.

There's midfielders in the league who have more goals than him this season.

Back